[1.2.*, 1.3.1, 1.4.1, 1.5.1, 1.6.1, 1.7, 1.9] Triple-Z Radio Astronomy Telescope

• 1 month later...

There's a bug in the contracts for this. Well, probably several, but at least one. I think I'm going to tell this as a story, because it is amusing...

So I get a contract to put up a telescope. I duly construct a small station to service it and launch it, yay! Now that I got the science results from around Kerbin, I go back to the contracts to see... No, not a "Put one around the Mun now." Put another one up around Kerbin.

But I don't want another station around Kerbin! So I make a token vehicle, telescope, solar panel, lab, and launch it, and then immediately deorbit it.

That's how I find that not only the telescope does not get burned up, it also serves as an excellent airbrake, not unlike the 2.5m ballute. Most of the "station" makes it to the ground despite me not expecting it to.

I come back to contracts to find... another contract for a Kerbin telescope.

So I decide to get crafty. I exploit the fact that it airbrakes so well and set it up to land. A few attempts later, I succeed -- even just deleting it is profitable, after all, getting almost all of it back is a nice bonus.

I take out the contract again, but decide to take a break, and go back to resupply my station. Poof, the contract gets fullfilled: It counts as a "new" telescope in orbit. This is infinitely repeatable.

This kind of puts a cramp into my attempts to play career seriously. :)

EDIT: Oh, and I keep getting contracts that tell me to do radioastronomy on the surface. I don't think this kind of telescope should work for this sort of thing, but maybe that's just me.

Edited by Mihara
Addendum

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Yes, and it is there, but the name is:  Triple-Z Radio Astronomy Telescope

Oh, thanks! Somehow the link from the thread in your signature doesn't visualize titles after "SmartStage", so I didn't see it. Opening full spreadsheet helped: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vS3F56EmMcfPgLPiMJrmlGo_Op1iLJoxYoEarnXpVNg/pubhtml

• 10 months later...

Included on my first ever Kerbin station....mostly because the contract patch associated with the telescope also work. (I got a contract to put it up there).

I like it. I like that the science gains are for each Biome. I like the unfolding animation. Good mod!

Also meshes well with the big Origami relay dish from your recycled parts mod as well.....

Edited by JoE Smash

• 2 months later...
On 6/30/2017 at 12:52 PM, Mihara said:

There's a bug in the contracts for this. Well, probably several, but at least one. I think I'm going to tell this as a story, because it is amusing...

@linuxgurugamer , @FreeThinker

I was experiencing a problem with the contract and broke out my grep tool.  I found a copy of Triple-Z's contract in \GameData\WarpPlugin\Parts\BeamedPower\PhasedArray\phasedArray1\MunSeeker_ZZZ_RadioTelescope_Contracts.cfg

The contract cfgs were identical except that "part = radiotelescope" was replaced with "part = deployablePhasedArray"

I've verified that I got this alternate version from https://kerbal.curseforge.com/projects/ksp-interstellar-extended/files/2616269

It looks like the normal release of KSP Interstellar Extended.

I'm still digging into whether there is a real bug in the normal copy of the contract.

Edited by NeuroticGamer
Forgot to include KSPIE author

I'm now experiencing what @Mihara saw.  After successfully launching and completing the Kerbin contract.  I continually get the Kerbin Contract, not the Mun.  I need to learn more about how contracts are written :)

You can see that the requirement of only 1 offered ZZZRadioTelescope contracts will prevent the Mun one from appearing.

gD8lfBr.png

Does the order of the contracts in the CFG matter?  If the Mun one was listed first (and already has dependency) would that be the way to correct this issue?

8 hours ago, NeuroticGamer said:

The contract cfgs were identical except that "part = radiotelescope" was replaced with "part = deployablePhasedArray"

Well there are more changes, mainly in the power source  requirement, but I changed the name so future conflict should be avoided

Edited by FreeThinker

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

Latest release has multiple .version files.

Too many .version files located: GameData/MunSeeker/ZZZ_RadioTelescope/ZZZRadioTelescope.version, GameData/MunSeeker/ZZZRadioTelescope.version

Do you want the netkan to pick one?

No, I'll fix it

2 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

Latest release has multiple .version files.

Too many .version files located: GameData/MunSeeker/ZZZ_RadioTelescope/ZZZRadioTelescope.version, GameData/MunSeeker/ZZZRadioTelescope.version

Do you want the netkan to pick one?

Should be fixed now

• 2 months later...

@linuxgurugamerThere is a bug in 1.6.0 & 1.6.1 that can lock up the parts menu in the VAB if a bulkheadProfiles isn't defined for each part. The linked thread below discusses it. I only found the one part in this mod missing the bulkheadProfiles definition:

./MunSeeker/ZZZ_RadioTelescope/Parts/telescope/part.cfg

I know you maintain a lot of mods and I only use a small subset. I've been posting these messages to all mods I use where I found problems. To find parts that were missing the definition I did the following in a Cygwin tcsh shell window from the GameData directory. Based on your screen name I'm assuming you have access to a Linux computer where you could do a similar scan of all your mods.

find . -name "*.cfg" -exec grep -l attachRules {} \; > /tmp/partlist.txt
find . -name "*.cfg" -exec grep -l bulkheadProfiles {} \; > /tmp/bulkheadlist.txt
diff /tmp/partlist.txt /tmp/bulkheadlist.txt > /tmp/missingbulkhead.list

I'm searching config files for the attachRules keyword with the assumption that every part (and only parts) will have this defined. Then search for the bulkheadProfiles keyword. Compare the results and this should be the list of parts missing the bulkheadProfiles definition. 

1 hour ago, Tonka Crash said:

@linuxgurugamerThere is a bug in 1.6.0 & 1.6.1 that can lock up the parts menu in the VAB if a bulkheadProfiles isn't defined for each part. The linked thread below discusses it. I only found the one part in this mod missing the bulkheadProfiles definition:

./MunSeeker/ZZZ_RadioTelescope/Parts/telescope/part.cfg

I know you maintain a lot of mods and I only use a small subset. I've been posting these messages to all mods I use where I found problems. To find parts that were missing the definition I did the following in a Cygwin tcsh shell window from the GameData directory. Based on your screen name I'm assuming you have access to a Linux computer where you could do a similar scan of all your mods.

find . -name "*.cfg" -exec grep -l bulkheadProfiles {} \; > /tmp/bulkheadlist.txt

I'm searching config files for the attachRules keyword with the assumption that every part (and only parts) will have this defined. Then search for the bulkheadProfiles keyword. Compare the results and this should be the list of parts missing the bulkheadProfiles definition. 

Thanks, I'm using those command to search all  my mods.  Hopefully it won't be many, but I will get the fixed ASAP

2 hours ago, Tonka Crash said:

I've updated a number of my mods, but still have a lot to go.  Apparently this is missing in many of the older parts mods, including KWRocketry, SXT and others.  It's going to take me a few days to get through them all.

Just now, linuxgurugamer said:

I've updated a number of my mods, but still have a lot to go.  Apparently this is missing in many of the older parts mods, including KWRocketry, SXT and others.  It's going to take me a few days to get through them all.

I don't know the history to know when bulkheadProfiles became a component of a part description, but I can see where you would have the most parts to fix, it's the reason I included the method I used to track them down.

I still have a catchall fix in a personal patch file to work around unpatched mods. It's not as good as having the correct profiles defined, but it avoids locking up the VAB.

@PART[*]:HAS[~bulkheadProfiles[]]
{
	bulkheadProfiles = srf
}

24 minutes ago, Tonka Crash said:

I don't know the history to know when bulkheadProfiles became a component of a part description, but I can see where you would have the most parts to fix, it's the reason I included the method I used to track them down.

I still have a catchall fix in a personal patch file to work around unpatched mods. It's not as good as having the correct profiles defined, but it avoids locking up the VAB.

{
	bulkheadProfiles = srf
}

It was greatly appreciated.

and thanks for that patch, will be useful

18 hours ago, Tonka Crash said:

{
	bulkheadProfiles = srf
}

Well, I just finished with all my mods, as far as I can tell.

Next up is for me to create a test install, load ALL my mods, and have a catchall like this:

{
	bulkheadProfiles = missingSrf
}

Then, I'll start the game, get to the main menu and exit.  After this, all I'll need to do is search the ModuleManager.ConfigCache for any missingSrf which will point me to any I missed.

Since you are go through many other mods, you might want to do the same.  I did find that while your find/greps were good, they came up with a few false positives, and I may have missed some.

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

{
	bulkheadProfiles = missingSrf
}

Then, I'll start the game, get to the main menu and exit.  After this, all I'll need to do is search the ModuleManager.ConfigCache for any missingSrf which will point me to any I missed.

Since you are go through many other mods, you might want to do the same.  I did find that while your find/greps were good, they came up with a few false positives, and I may have missed some.

Using the catchall this way hadn't occurred to me. I was running the catchall because I knew I'd missed at least one locally. Turns out the mechjeb AR202 had one file with several part definitions that each need a fix to handle how it's features are split into several nodes in the tech tree.

I wasn't worried too about false positives I was having a hard enough time trying to isolate .cfg files that were parts and not just a MM patch.

11 minutes ago, Tonka Crash said:

Using the catchall this way hadn't occurred to me. I was running the catchall because I knew I'd missed at least one locally. Turns out the mechjeb AR202 had one file with several part definitions that each need a fix to handle how it's features are split into several nodes in the tech tree.

Yes, I found at least one of my mods which had multiple parts in a single file.  I took the opportunity to split them up into individual files