KSP Weekly: The space pioneers and other adventures

SQUAD

4 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

But the central panel in the screenshot has 4 rows of bolts going across the middle of it, seemingly at random. Maybe that could be looked at.

As a building maintenance guy, I immediately thought: "Well, there's a stud back there.  They wanted to secure it better."  Then I realized I'm crazy.

51 minutes ago, John FX said:

Last time people moaned so much about minor details in textures the whole barn got dropped never to be seen again because the work needed to bring it to the quality wanted is far too much to be worth it so they didn't bother.

Sheesh people, it is a minor detail on a single part, get some perspective!

The barn fiasco wasn't just about "minor details."

3 hours ago, Majorjim! said:

It sounds like they are tackling the odd shadows on the KSC buildings only. The shadow striping is a totally different kettle of fish sadly.. One that has its roots deep in the Unity code.

Ahhh, it's still an improvement. Maybe someday they'll figure out how to fix the stripes... :)

12 hours ago, RoverDude said:

Yes, the ladder is in front, and those RCS ports work :wink:

Well now it seems all the stock capsules are going to need some love after this update XD

or at least I hope we won't need to buy the expansion for a rework of the mk1-2 caspule :P

Edited by Tidus Klein

13 minutes ago, Tidus Klein said:

Well now it seems all the stock capsules are going to need some love after this update XD

or at least I hope we won't need to buy the expansion for a rework of the mk1-2 caspule :P

Agreed. I'm all for the expansion having new parts, but revamping old ones like this pod and then making the updated one not available to people without the DLC will be kind of low, especially as the rocket overhaul was just scrapped which would have been available to everyone.

5 hours ago, passinglurker said:

That museum photo is confusing me so much because you don't see the same thing in that picture of a recovered pod or in the flight photo's even the high res ones from nasa's gallery. It makes me think the museum model is made or treated differently (thinner paint? panels tacked on for display purposes?)

That is CM 007, the first production Apollo Command Module. It was used for testing on the ground. As a production model it's effectively flight article hardware (though it doesn't incorporate the changes made after the fire, unless they tested some of those changes out on that capsule.

33 minutes ago, tater said:

That is CM 007, the first production Apollo Command Module. It was used for testing on the ground. As a production model it's effectively flight article hardware (though it doesn't incorporate the changes made after the fire, unless they tested some of those changes out on that capsule.

The hatch opens outwards, so it's a post-fire model. Unless they retro-fitted the hatch, which is possible...

Edited by StrandedonEarth

Does the new CM have an integrated  heat shield, as well? What about parachutes? If the latter is not part of the pod, will there be a new docking ring that includes chutes?

15 hours ago, Cpt Kerbalkrunch said:

Glad I read back through this. I usually just skip to the Making History section. I never will again. Almost missed the best part. People talk about bugs all the time, but this is the only one I consistently run into that ruins what I'm doing. No more quicksave right before a burn with the mouse hovering over the SAS hold so I'm ready to switch from maneuver hold when the node inevitably jumps and I have to erase the node and burn without a maneuver and hope that I've held it steady and I'll hit my target, or else reload and try again? This is fantastic news. Thank you, Squad.

This is great! I've been encountering this a few times in a row this week thinking it might have been a mod screwing things up.

10 hours ago, Frozen_Heart said:

Agreed. I'm all for the expansion having new parts, but revamping old ones like this pod and then making the updated one not available to people without the DLC will be kind of low, especially as the rocket overhaul was just scrapped which would have been available to everyone.

What happened to that...was really looking forward to porkjets awesomeness 

ps, I also feel that people should kinda chill out about the capsules textures....I mean no one said that was the final product, and honestly any new stock parts I more then welcome.

Edited by Tidus Klein

6 minutes ago, Tidus Klein said:

What happened to that...was really looking forward to porkjets awesomeness 

ps, I also feel that people should kinda chill out about the capsules textures....I mean no one said that was the final product, and honestly any new stock parts I more then welcome.

As all the old devs left porkjets rocket overhaul got canned as porkjet no longer worked for squad.

I think the new capsule fits well in thew aesthetic, as much like an older version of the Mk 1-2 pod as an apollo-esque pod.  I can forgive a few barely visible rivet heads.

Edited by Capt. Hunt

On 06/05/2017 at 9:28 AM, SQUAD said:
As we mentioned in a past issue of KSP Weekly, we have been working together with Blitworks on improving the game’s control scheme for consoles and one good example we mentioned are the maneuver nodes controls in the orbital view, which now can be easily adjusted with the following control scheme:

PS4

• Prograde/Retrograde = Press LS + Up or Down
  • Normal/Anti-normal = Press LS + L1 + Up or Down
  • Radial In/Radial Out = Press LS + R1 + Up or Down
  • Move maneuver = Press LS + L1 + R1 + Up or Down

Why just consoles, is there a reason Maneuver nodes can't have keybindings in the non-console version?

14 hours ago, razark said:

This needs to be a thing.  Sticking chutes to the side of the pod is silly.

Is there something wrong with sticking a dockingport on to a parachute? I've done that a few times and it works without issue's.

I'm not really in the position for comlaining (I have other reasons to purchase the expansion), but it still worries me that Apollo command module is basically Mk. 1-2 but better. I would so much prefer it as a replacement of Mk. 1-2 - both because that would be non-ugly 2.5m pod and because if not than the will be basically two identical parts (or even worse - two parts for one niche, and one of them is better).

23 hours ago, Just Jim said:

Ahhh, it's still an improvement. Maybe someday they'll figure out how to fix the stripes... :)

Fingers crossed matey. And the fact that shadows are on the list of things that are being worked on is great news, as you said. :)

17 hours ago, razark said:

silly.

Kerbal. :sticktongue:

10 hours ago, nothingSpecial said:

I'm not really in the position for comlaining (I have other reasons to purchase the expansion), but it still worries me that Apollo command module is basically Mk. 1-2 but better. I would so much prefer it as a replacement of Mk. 1-2 - both because that would be non-ugly 2.5m pod and because if not than the will be basically two identical parts (or even worse - two parts for one niche, and one of them is better).

If that was the only part we got, I don't know, but seeing as we are getting a whole selection of Apollo era stuff to go with it, I don't mind an extra 3 man pod that fits with the new parts.

Well all we can do is hope that all the parts that are already in the game get a simple update to there style while the new parts need you to buy the pack to get.

cross your big green barley usable fingers

Edited by Tidus Klein

5 minutes ago, Tidus Klein said:

Well all me can do is hope

Nah we can do so much more than blindly trust everything will be alright (blind trust lead to the 1.0 rush and console port snafu). Squad isn't a golden goose on suicide watch they can stand some scrutiny, critique, and criticism in thier quest to sell us on a new product.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.