[1.4.1] ScrapYard - The Common Part Inventory - 1.1.0.107 (2018-03-18)

magico13

If you notice any parts that no matter how many time you try to apply the part it won't "stick", then make a note of the part and any modules listed. I know of at least two modules doing this: RealChutes and the stock procedural fairings. I have to implement a new feature to get those to behave correctly. I can't promise I'll get every module working 100%, but I also won't be able to try if I don't know what modules are misbehaving :wink: 

Noticed something strange when using an Airplane Plus craft file from KerbalX. Any idea why this would happen? It became obvious to me because my KCT build times were still high even after recovering the airplane. The weird thing is, the Airplane Plus craft file uses stock parts (Mk1 Inline Cockpit, for example).

---

KSP: 1.4.1 Windows 64bit

Problem: ScrapYard not using recovered parts when using Airplane Plus craft file. Stock craft files ARE using recovered parts. Auto apply is on in the ScrapYard GUI.

Mods installed:

Mods

Reproduction steps:

Use Aeris 1A craft file from KerbalX. Build and recover it and most of the parts still say "Part is New". If you use the Aeris 3A stock craft file, this does not occur.

Log:

Output_log.txt

After further testing this seems to be an issue with Oh Scrap. It looks like if you build something and immediately recover it, Oh Scrap still calls the parts "new" (as it should) because they weren't tested. However, the KCT build time remains high because the parts are "new" even though you technically already built them, just didn't test them.

9 minutes ago, Kwebib said:

After further testing this seems to be an issue with Oh Scrap. It looks like if you build something and immediately recover it, Oh Scrap still calls the parts "new" (as it should) because they weren't tested. However, the KCT build time remains high because the parts are "new" even though you technically already built them, just didn't test them.

I haven't looked at the logs yet, but KCT and Oh Scrap don't have any interaction, even through ScrapYard. The KCT build time is likely remaining high because you haven't "applied" the inventory to the vessel in the editor. By recovering the parts they've just been added to the inventory but parts aren't pulled out of the inventory until you either A use the "select" option from the inventory window or B "apply" an inventory part to a part on the ship in the editor. For the plane you're talking about you likely just need to use the "quick apply" option from the inventory UI. You should see the KCT build time almost immediately update to a lower time.

Ok, this time I only have KCT, SY, OhScrap, and StageRecovery installed. Here is what I did:

---

KSP: 1.4.1 Windows 64bit

Problem: KCT build time significantly lower after staging the rocket instead of recover only.

Mods installed:

Mods

Reproduction steps:

1) Make this craft in the VAB - Build time is 1d, 4h, 36m, 9s (38169 seconds)

2) Make a quicksave to go back to later (to rule out KCT's build effect)

3) Build, launch, recover only (don't activate or stage anything).

4) Go back into VAB and load the same craft

5) Apply Parts - Build time is 1d, 1h, 10m, 1s (25801 seconds, 68% of original build time)

6) Load quicksave

7) Build, launch, fire engine (but not clamp), recover

8) Repeat step 4

9) Apply Parts - Build time is 0d, 1h, 2m, 59s (3779 seconds, 10% of original build time)

Log:

Output Log

---

This could be intended behavior, but that seems like a pretty large decrease in build time for just firing the engine.

21 minutes ago, Kwebib said:

This could be intended behavior, but that seems like a pretty large decrease in build time for just firing the engine

It's intended behaviour (and its oh scrap doing it).

for magico: it's a forbidden module that oh scrap clears when OnLaunch fires.

in plain English: Oh Scrap stops parts from being added to the inventory until a staging event happens. This is to allow you to simulate pad tests etc. The reduction in build times is because they are actually the same part, but if you don't stage your engineers have to build an entirely new part.

Ah ok. What if you have, say, some side boosters that you never stage in your test flight. Would those be blocked from inventory while the first, central booster would be added? Or is the first stage the only one that matters?

Edited by Kwebib

16 minutes ago, Kwebib said:

Or is the first stage the only one that matters?

This one. It's not really intended to be a literal "you must test this part" scenario - for one thing at what point would you say the batteries get "tested"? It's just to discourage you from doing the old "pad and recover" to get your part ratings up

(yes I know you could drain the tanks and stage anyway, but you have to make a conscious choice to do that, and you clearly know what you are doing, so if you don't consider that cheating, who am I to argue).

Edited by severedsolo

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed that ScrapYard recovers RealChute modules, but never automatically applies them in the editor. The problem is that you end up with a stockpile of used modules, and then right clicking on the modules in flight or in the editor noticably slows down KSP.  (Not to mention all of the modules in inventory)  Could auto apply be set to also install the used modules? 

53 minutes ago, Jade_Falcon said:

I noticed that ScrapYard recovers RealChute modules, but never automatically applies them in the editor. The problem is that you end up with a stockpile of used modules, and then right clicking on the modules in flight or in the editor noticably slows down KSP.  (Not to mention all of the modules in inventory)  Could auto apply be set to also install the used modules? 

The reason it happens is because the chute state doesn't match at recovery and with a new chute in the editor. I already have a plan for this since I also play with RealChute and have the exact same issue. I have to add new functionality to modify values when adding parts to the inventory. A stock part with the same issue is fairings.

Half a bug report - before I do a proper investigation to chase down proper reproduction steps I want to know if it's feasible that this is ScrapYard.

So, when I build parts with symmetry, and change the thrust limiter in the VAB, all the parts in that "set" reduce their thrust accordingly.

It seems like when a part is applied from the inventory (using the UI) the thrust is being reset to 100% for that one part rather than the thrust limit that the part originally had.

7 hours ago, severedsolo said:

Half a bug report - before I do a proper investigation to chase down proper reproduction steps I want to know if it's feasible that this is ScrapYard.

So, when I build parts with symmetry, and change the thrust limiter in the VAB, all the parts in that "set" reduce their thrust accordingly.

It seems like when a part is applied from the inventory (using the UI) the thrust is being reset to 100% for that one part rather than the thrust limit that the part originally had.

Sounds totally plausible that it's ScrapYard. I'll try it out and will let you know if I get it fixed.

4 hours ago, Kwebib said:

Would it be possible to have a full list of all inventory parts in the GUI in the editor? Maybe on a separate tab or something?

Well, there's already a full list if you open up the "advanced" option on the regular part selector.

I like that it's part of the regular part selector, though. Nice to see the part images.

As part of the funds override that you're working on, do you plan to give a partial refund of discarded parts? Like maybe 5-10% of their original value?

5 hours ago, Kwebib said:

I like that it's part of the regular part selector, though. Nice to see the part images.

As part of the funds override that you're working on, do you plan to give a partial refund of discarded parts? Like maybe 5-10% of their original value?

Right now you get 100% of the value (minus fuel costs) back, but I intend on making that configurable so you only get a partial refund.

2 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I've been following this mud, but haven't really used it yet. I'm wondering if it works with the recovery mods?

Stage recovery and FMR S

Does work with StageRecovery, haven't tested with FMRS. It listens to the standard onVesselRecovered event but there is also an API for adding parts to the inventory (among other features) outside of that event. FMRS might need a few tweaks to support it but like I said I haven't tried that out.

Why use this mod??  When I use a Used part, it is the same cost as a New part.  I see in OP that there is WIP so that Used parts do not add to cost.  Has this been implemented??

BTW, I have installed this mod.

Edited by Apollo13

There's a bug.  When I placed two MK2 Lander Cans on the vessel. I clicked Scrapyard, and applied a Used Lander Can to the first.  It's info dialog now showed it is Used.  I did the same for the second Lander Can.  I then right-clicked the first again.  It now shows as New, not Used.

Is KCT required?  Is Oh! Scrap- A Scrapyard based Failure and Reliability 1.3.1 required?

Edited by Apollo13

4 hours ago, Apollo13 said:

Why use this mod??  When I use a Used part, it is the same cost as a New part.  I see in OP that there is WIP so that Used parts do not add to cost.  Has this been implemented??

It's primarily a framework for other mods to build off of right now. You can enable the cost overrides in the normal settings window for a save. It doesn't work correctly in all cases, particularly with KCT which uses this mod in kind of weird ways.

4 hours ago, Apollo13 said:

There's a bug.  When I placed two MK2 Lander Cans on the vessel. I clicked Scrapyard, and applied a Used Lander Can to the first.  It's info dialog now showed it is Used.  I did the same for the second Lander Can.  I then right-clicked the first again.  It now shows as New, not Used.

Is KCT required?  Is Oh! Scrap- A Scrapyard based Failure and Reliability 1.3.1 required?

No other mods are required. I'd need to see a log file to see what's happening. It's possible you have a module on the command pod that is being stored one way and is used differently in the editor. In stock the fairings do that and an example of a mod with that issue is RealChute. I'm working on stuff to make those work but it won't work automatically for other troublesome modules.