[1.4.1] ScrapYard - The Common Part Inventory - 1.1.0.107 (2018-03-18)

magico13

Hi

I'm new to here, but I was reading through the thread and I wanted to say that it seems like there are a bunch of good people around here doing cool work. Thank you guys so much

I came here originally because I was having the same unrecovered parts problem that a few others were having. Based on linuxgurugamer trying to figure out the minimum number of mods that causes the problem I decided to do some experiments. Hopefully it's helpful. I started with a fresh ksp install. For each test I added on new mods using CKAN. I then started a new career, built a rocket in the vab, put it on the launchpad and recovered it. I would then check to see if I had any recovered parts. For the rocket I started by just using a pod. I later added more parts. My notes:

Scrapyard - Module Manager - MagiCore = Fine
KCT  = Fine  -Here I started experiencing an issue where the KSC view was locked in a weird position and if I went into the VAB and picked up a part it wouldn't let me put it down. Fixes on restarting game. Unknown trigger / if it has to do with my main game install, scrapyard, or KCT
Stage Recovery = Fine
Toolbar = Fine
KRASH - Toolbar Controller - Click Through Blocker = Fine - At this point tested with multi part ship.
chatterer - chatterer extended - experiment tracker - kerbal alarm clock - kerbal engineer redux - kerbal launch vehicals - [x] science = Fine
MechJeb - Oh! Scrap! - Precise Node = Fail

-Here I made a ship consisting of a pod, an rt-5, some basic fins, a modular girder segment, and a parachute. When I recovered vessel from launchpad I only ended up with the girder and the basic fins in inventory
-I tried this several times and found Goo and Engineer parts also recoverable. The pod and srb didn't seem to want to. I added an onion reentry vehical at one point and that time all parts recovered but that wasn't repeatable.

Disabled Oh! Scrap!
-All parts now seem to recover again

Other people who were having issues, did you also have Oh! Scrap! installed? 

Thanks again for all your work!

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2018 at 7:03 AM, PataSolar said:

I'm currently on 1.3.1 with RO etc. and KCT. Scrapyard is working! Except the procedural parts don't seem to work. Recovered a tank, applied it, it said it was applied but didn't effect construction time or price. Apart from that, it seems to be working fine for me!

I have 1.4.5 install with B9 Procedural wings, Oh Scrap, KCT and a bunch of other mods. Every time I recover a plane into KCT storage and then edit it to refuel and restore it's normal orientation, it replaces all existing procedural wing parts with new ones (and they already have their fuel tanks full)

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, HaydenTheKing said:

I downloaded kerbal construction time, scrapyard and oh scrap.

i landed a simple rocket, flee rocket, mk1 and parachute. I recovered them and didn’t get any parts useable in the VAB.

Check to see if the rocket itself isn't still intact in your VAB craft inventory?

Edited by Beetlecat

Yah.  Took me a while to realize there was a parts category for ScrapYard.  At least I assume that's what it is, or is it generated by Filter Extensions?  Still a lot doesn't show up in there.  I recovered a mk1 command module and it didn't show.  I did the regular recover, not recover to inventory.  I assume the latter is if you just want to refuel and go again so it doesn't break it down to parts. 

Edited by Eugene Moreau
Clarification

• 2 weeks later...

I installed this mod the other night, along with Oh Scrap! but not Kerbal Construction Time (it seems to be currently buggy and the update is in progress, so I figured I'd wait on it).

I've launched a few starter rockets now, and for some reason, it's not recovering the command pods.  I know it's not Oh Scrap preventing cheaty recovery, because the rest of the rocket's parts are recovered, but the command module itself isn't.

The WIP feature to show/use reduced funds for recycled ship parts also doesn't seem to be working, it's still displaying the full price for me.  I know I have to possess enough to launch a rocket as if it were new, that's not the problem - instead, it just doesn't seem to be working at all despite being enabled.

On 12/8/2018 at 3:34 AM, Kirona said:

I've launched a few starter rockets now, and for some reason, it's not recovering the command pods.  I know it's not Oh Scrap preventing cheaty recovery, because the rest of the rocket's parts are recovered, but the command module itself isn't.

11 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

I also see that command pods are not recovered into the stockpile - with KCT in  my case.

Can you guys take this over to the new thread and provide logs etc please - can this issue be reproduced in stock? (I'll take just KCT as "stock enough")

• 2 months later...

I don't quite know how advanced the work is on fixing the bug where parts with some annoying unresetable modules don't recover (fairings and RealChute, as far as I've noticed), but a I imagine rather simple workaround would be to consider those parts as consumables that cannot be recovered. Just tell the player that the parachute is a single use device and that the fairings literally vanished into thin air upon opening. Don't know how feasible it would be, though, but I image that it is less trouble than finding and implementing a way to reset those modules and doesn't "break the immersion" by asking the player to edit the module himself.

Edited by PunkyFickle

• 2 months later...

Works for me, KSP 1.7; you should have an icon in the VAB/SPH toolbar, resembling a crane IIRC, that opens the parts list.

You might have a better chance for support in the not-dead thread over there:

On 9/30/2018 at 3:27 PM, severedsolo said:

Given that this original version of the mod has been inactive for quite some time, and that the original author @magico13 has passed the reins to @severedsolo,

On 9/17/2018 at 12:09 PM, magico13 said:

Just a heads up, but @severedsolo will be taking over development of ScrapYard! He's the developer of Oh Scrap!, a mod built on top of ScrapYard, and was a guiding force during most of ScrapYard's development. He's probably the second most knowledgeable person on Earth about ScrapYard, so I can't think of anyone better to take over development. He's a busy guy though, so don't expect sweeping changes at first, but hopefully some of the half-finished parts of ScrapYard will be able to be completed through his hands. Please join me in saying congrats to @severedsolo!

...it seems reasonable to close this thread to avoid further confusion.  You can find the currently updated/maintained version of this mod at severedsolo's new thread, over here:

magico13, if you'd ever like your thread re-opened, please let us know (simplest thing is to just report this post, with a note) and we're happy to oblige.  :)