are rescue missions infinite?

There are infinite amount of kerbals that you can rescue, considering that the final upgrade level of astronaut complex allows infinite amount of kerbal, and the fact rescued kerbals are listed in your crew roster

1 hour ago, tab said:

are rescue missions infinite? sooner or later i will rescue all the kerbonauts? if yes, how many they are?

Other than the crew at the KSC and a handful of recruits (from the KSC janitors crew), the entirety of the kerbal race is floating somewhere in space after they all decided at one point to 'see what's up there'.

This is the real reason the space program was needed: to regulate and keep track of launches and stop kerbals from marooning themselves, and now of course, to rescue the ones already out there.

12 hours ago, ARS said:

There are infinite amount of kerbals that you can rescue, considering that the final upgrade level of astronaut complex allows infinite amount of kerbal, and the fact rescued kerbals are listed in your crew roster

I think you would not even need to max out the astronaut center.  In my current career I only have the level two center, but the game still spawns rescue missions and lets you exceed the roster limit through rescues.  I believe this limit only prevents you from hiring new astronauts, which is a lousy financial deal anyway compared to rescues.  

2 hours ago, ARS said:

Hiring new crew means you can choose their occupation that suits your mission instead of being given a random crew from rescue mission

Which is irrelevant since you need to pay for hiring while you get paid to rescue.

And the chance to get a occupation you need (even assuming that you only need one type) are far from low.  33% in the first rescue,  55% in the first two,  70% in the first three and statically certain in the long run. 

I'm not sure that it's completely random that way. Or maybe it wasn't before and it's been fixed. But a few versions ago, for my first 8 rescues, I got 8 engineers in a row.

So I usually do hire a scientist or two right a the beginning, before my first rescue, while they are still cheap -- because I tend to run out of scientists.

Edited by bewing

@bewing getting 8 engineers in a row don't means it's not random.  This combination have exactly the same chance of any other combination possible. 

Also notice,  after 8 engineers you had a pretty good chance(1/3) of getting the 9th in a row,  but didn't got. 

BTW someone reading this post will get 3 pilots in the next 3 rescue.  Statistics is telling me. 

On 7.5.2017 at 6:26 AM, Capt. Hunt said:

I don't know if it's still the case, but at one point @RoverDude or one of the other devs said they spawned whichever class you had the fewest of when the contract is offered.

Doesn't seem to be true, or has a threshold before it kicks in. Only 8 out of 32 Kerbals I currently have are scientists and my current rescue missions are for 1 pilot and 2 engineers.

• 2 weeks later...

As far as I experience there is no limit.
My personal goal is to build a base in each planetary body with a solid surface.

My original idea was to have a couple of scientists, an engineer and a pilot in each base.

So I needed 4 x 13 = 52 kerbals.

Because of the balance already mentioned I assumed that I will be needing 6 x 13 = 78 kerbals.

At some point I rescued a Biologist, then another professions appeared:

Medic

Scout

Kolonist

Quartermaster

Technician

Farmer

(I am not very sure which mod is responsible of this)

My KerbKount is 84

At first I was in bad need of pilots. Once I reached the RC 0015 the pilots become useless (on good for consuming food, oxigen, etc.)

Then I was needing scientists to man the Science Laboratory to generate science ir order to advance in the tech tree.

Once completed the tech tree the scientists become useless.

Then my need was engineers. I use them to operate converters and drills everywhere.

To get money (I consume a lot of money) my engineers operate large tracks with 5 mobile fuel factories to reprocess expended nuclear fuel and convert it through the breeding process in enriched uranium to be sold to the civilian market. So I have 10 engineers operating such mobile factories.

My idea is to have fuel stations in each body. as a safety measure.

I have never hired a Kerbal it becomes more expensive as your KerbKount increases. (Over 2.100.000 square roots for the 85)

Now, with the explosion of Kerbal specialities I am not very sure of the right combination of Kerbal habilities. More things to explore means more fun!

If someone is interested I am using:

MechJeb

KerbalEngineer

Kolonization

Konstruction

Infernal Robotics (I cannot make any piece move)

TAC life support

Feline utility rovers

Planetary Surface Structures

KIS/KAS

Kerbal Alarm Clock

Persistent Rotations

Scan Sat

Some form of science devoted mod to operate the experiments.

Now I am completely in the dark about the balance within the new professions. I miss the chance of some sort of report about my kerbals and their habilities and experiences.

As I advanced towards my self imposed goal I will learn more about the ration in which each professions is represented in the rescue missions.

Thank you very much for reading this!!

Ignacio

Since the initial question was answered ...

@Ignacio Urteaga:

Kolonization (or MKS) is responsible for all of the extra professions.  It also changes the way you hire Kerbals, though if you rely mainly on rescues, you may not see that right away.

The Modular Kolonization System thread is the place to find out more about this, but in the interests of thoroughness, here's a link to the MKS Wiki page that details what all of those extra professions do.

Also:

enriched uranium to be sold to the civilian market

Thank you for making me laugh today.

The short answer: Yes

The slightly more detailed answer:

"are rescue missions infinite?" - Yes

"sooner or later i will rescue all the kerbonauts?" - No

"if yes, how many they are?" - As many as you want

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.