[1.7.x ~ 1.3.x] AirlockPlus: EVA to/from any part, using any airlock [ v.0.0.11 @ 2019-06-02 ]

cakepie

If im late to the party im sorry. But are there any plans to separate the functions into different sub directories? I really like the idea of going EVA with any airlock, but still like the idea of If the airlock is full I cant board it.

or a meens to disable the boarding function? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2018 at 7:58 AM, cakepie said:

Will investigate.

Apologies for the delay on this, I have been rather busy.

On 2/21/2018 at 12:03 PM, Jesusthebird said:

<snip> are there any plans to separate the functions into different sub directories? <snip>

or a meens to disable the boarding function? 

There are no plans to split the features into two different mods.

You can choose to ignore / not use the boarding functions. In the future I may add an option to hide the screen message prompts.

Now seeking translations for languages added in 1.4 ( French, German, Italian and Portuguese-Brazilian ).
Let me know if you can help!

Translation guidelines are here. The localization files are here.

Edited by cakepie

• 2 weeks later...

The issue reported by @eberkain & @JeffreyCor -- where the boarding commands don't work in the presence of some other mods -- has been fixed.

I've still got a couple other things I want to work on before I roll out a new release, though, so in the meantime, here's a patch.

AirlockPlus.0.0.9-temp-patch-1
This should work in both KSP 1.3.x as well as 1.4.x.
To patch, simply replace the AirlockPlus.dll in an existing 0.0.9 install with the one provided here.

Edited by cakepie
remove patch link

Glad to hear there's more coming, but in the interests of getting the new working version out, is there any chance of a CKAN release for 1.4.1? I'll be installing manually for now, but there are times when it's better to release what's working when there's a major version change.

Thanks again for the work you put into this.

There will be a release when I am ready to release. It is being worked on.

The lack of a release on CKAN for KSP 1.4.x is intentional.
In the interim, for users who are capable of and willing to do a manual installation, v.0.0.9 plus the patch will function on KSP 1.4.x.

Would just like to say CKAN still thinks this is 1.3 only, so CKAN installs are not possible to 1.4 ATM. Just saw your last post sorry

This looks really cool :D

Edited by TDplay

• 3 weeks later...

For folks who love to live on the cutting bleeding edge, here is a dev build
AirlockPlus.0.0.9-temp-patch-2
for KSP 1.4.x / 1.3.x

This patch is to be applied on top of an existing 0.0.9 install. It includes the bugfixes in AirlockPlus.0.0.9-temp-patch-1, so there is no need to apply both patches.

Changes are mostly under the hood; not going to enumerate them here; anyone who's interested can go read here.

Please be aware that there are currently still a couple outstanding known issues (which also affect other existing releases/patches):

1. Special handling required for InflatableAirlock from Making History DLC.
Known to cause error messages in logfile -- no need to report this, I am aware of it.
Not expected to be game breaking, but it'd be best to steer clear of using AirlockPlus with that part for the time being.

2. (Connected Living Spaces compatibility)
a) If you also use CLS, you may encounter incorrect behavior of AirlockPlus, such as denied entry to a living space that should have enough room.
     This is due to a bug in CLS where part/space occupancy accounting is incorrect.
b) The InflatableAirlock from Making History DLC causes issues for CLS, leading to incorrect behavior in AirlockPlus.
     This is due to CLS not being able to register when the airlock is deployed/retracted.
Fixes for these issues have been submitted to CLS [a,b] and are expected to be included in the next CLS release.

Workaround for CLS-related issues: temporarily turn on the "Allow Unrestricted Transfers" option in CLS.

Edited by cakepie
remove patch link

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
On 4/16/2019 at 5:38 PM, Nightside said:

is this patch still necessary?

@Nightside use this one instead, it's newer.

On 4/16/2018 at 11:34 PM, cakepie said:

For folks who love to live on the cutting bleeding edge, here is a dev build
AirlockPlus.0.0.9-temp-patch-2
for KSP 1.4.x / 1.3.x

This patch is to be applied on top of an existing 0.0.9 install. It includes the bugfixes in AirlockPlus.0.0.9-temp-patch-1, so there is no need to apply both patches.

Edited by cakepie
remove patch link

At long last:

v0.0.10 for KSP 1.7.x - 1.3.x
Requires Module Manager (please obtain separately.)

Localizations available: 中文 ・ 日本語 ・ español ・ русский ・ français ・ Deutsch ・ italiano ・ português (Brasil)

Edited by cakepie

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a pre-release of the next version.

This adds the Harmony patching library as a dependency (included in download).
For a brief explanation of Harmony, please refer to this post.

Using Harmony is a massive help for getting around the limitations of stock KSP API, which really doesn't support the features of this mod. Thanks to Harmony, many horrible, brittle workarounds which were previously necessary for function, but also caused their own minor bugs and weird unintended behaviors, have now been replaced by much more elegant patches that are expected to be safer and more stable. It has also helped enable the implementation of some previously incomplete features.
Full changelog below.

Only manual installation is available at this time.

Feedback on whether this is working as intended on other installs/systems besides my own would be very helpful.

v0.0.10.9 for KSP 1.7.x - 1.3.x
Requires Harmony (v1.2.0.1 included)
Requires Module Manager (please obtain separately.)
Community Trait Icons is strongly recommended.

Existing localization files for v0.0.10 can still be used, if desired.

v 0.0.10.9 2019-05-10
experimental pre-release
add Harmony dependency
replace many horrible ugly brittle hacks with safer patch-based approaches
spawning EVA now uses patches on FlightEVA to feed correct data to hatch obstruction tests instead of tampering with passed arguments
fix spurious results from FlightEVA.hatchInsideFairing being fed wrong information due to stock limitations
fix strange positioning/orientation behavior of spawned kerbal probably caused by tampered data in passed arguments
patch KerbalEVA to disable stock command hints during manual boarding instead of brute force removal at every frame
patch KerbalEVA to safely disable stock boarding when auto boarding encounters full vessel instead of outright disabling of KerbalEVA
patch CrewHatchDialog postfix to provide notifications when the dialog is ready/terminated
discard hacks for checking if CrewHatchDialog populated and ready for hijack/augment
rework timeout logic for matching airlock mod+click input handling to stock CrewHatchDialog spawning
better cleanup when hijacked CrewHatchDialog is closed instead of only when EVA button pressed
add crew type icons to stock crew hatch dialog when spawned via crew transfer PAW action rather than clicking airlock

Edited by cakepie
remove prerelease link

• 2 weeks later...

Dear users: I apologize for this interruption to normal functioning of this thread, but I regret to inform you that CKAN has been ignoring me for over a month, and as a result the next version of AirlockPlus has been delayed for nearly two weeks now.

At this point I feel I have no other option but to call them out for this behavior.
I have issued an ultimatum on CKAN's forum thread demanding that they take immediate action; a copy of this included in the spoiler below [snip].

CKAN users: if CKAN refuses to make the necessary changes in order to be able to install AirlockPlus correctly, I may be forced to release AirlockPlus v0.0.11 without the correct CKAN metadata support. Consequently, if you attempt to install or update AirlockPlus via CKAN it will most likely not work properly. In that case, you would need to uninstall CKAN's copy of AirlockPlus and perform a manual installation by yourself. I hope that you find AirlockPlus useful enough to be worth the additional effort of performing a manual installation.

Thank you for your attention and apologies again that it had to come to this.

Spoiler

[snip]

I opened github issue NetKAN#7131 on Apr 15 because I perceived a need for CKAN to index the Harmony C# patching library. This request was driven by the fact that I would soon be using it in my mods. My goal was (and still is) to have CKAN index it so that it can be installed once and then used as a shared dependency by multiple mods; this would conserve disk space and forestall any potential problems with having multiple copies of the library, possibly of different versions (a known issue in some other games).

In response to a question from CKAN project members about how Harmony behaves when multiple copies exist, I put in the effort to run some tests and reported back the results on Apr 18. A discussion ensued over the next few days about whether or not it should be indexed; I continued to state the case for indexing with concrete reasoning and use cases, and countered what I saw as flawed arguments from the other side.

Discussion ceased after Apr 20 with no formal decision or resolution on the matter.

More than two weeks passed, during which time I continued to make progress on developing my mods. As they the point of release gradually approached, on May 6 I offered to take additional steps to assuage concerns expressed by CKAN team members about perceived risks if they indexed the Harmony library.

No response was forthcoming.

On May 10 I completed updates to the AirlockPlus mod, such that it now has Harmony as a dependency. Since making it available as a full release would break installations for existing CKAN users, I opted to temporarily offer it as a pre-release, while pointing out to CKAN that the the lack of progress on issue #7131 had become a blocker preventing me from releasing the next version of my mod.

Still nothing.

After a further >10 days had passed, I decided to attempt to spur some on progress the matter and submitted PR #7200 on May 21 to make the necessary changes so that I could properly publish the next version of AirlockPlus. @DasSkelett was quick to help fix a problem I had with the CKAN syntax, but after that, nothing again.

Before anyone counters that the PR has only been up for a bit over 48 hours -- let me reiterate that I had provided notice about the urgency of the matter on May 10, and as of right now, AirlockPlus v0.0.11 has been delayed by almost two weeks. Furthermore, for over a month (since Apr 20) I might as well have been talking to a wall. Throughout this time, CKAN project members have been active on other issues and pull requests, as well as on the KSP forums.

This morning, I even interacted with a CKAN team member in a different github issue to discuss other unrelated things -- but when I made an aside appeal to have PR #7200 looked at, it was quickly shut down as off-topic. That would not be unreasonable in any other circumstance, but suffice to say I am frustrated and all out of patience after [snip] so long.

So, here we are at the end of the day and there is still no progress on #7131 or #7200.
How hard is it to merge a PR, or drop a quick message explain the delay, or provide some reassurance that it will be looked at soon?

I understand we all have other commitments outside of modding, and CKAN's priorities are different from my priorities [snip]. If a delay is needed, you should inform me and explain why. If you've decided to turn down my request, let me know so that I can proceed accordingly. [snip]

For the record: I am not be a CKAN user myself, but I understand and appreciate its place in the modding ecosystem for trying to make it easy and convenient for end users to install mods (albeit that is not always the goal of the modder, and CKAN has been known to mess up installs to the point that some modders refuse to support or allow CKAN installs.)
In CKAN#2732 when I asked for explicit opt-out of my mods from CKAN to prevent prototype code from being distributed outside of my control, it was correctly observed that I was "not antagonistic to CKAN" like most people on the opt-out list. I am well aware of the circumstances of the controversy back 2016 that led to that opt-out list. I was not personally involved in those events and so bore no ill-will against CKAN, but was cautiously hopeful that the CKAN organization had improved since then. Notice the use of past tense. My stock of goodwill for CKAN has now been depleted.

To cite some of CKAN's policies:

CONTRIBUTING.md:

Please report bugs and open issues generously. Don't be afraid that your idea is silly, or you're reporting a duplicate. We're happy to hear from you.

CKAN purports to welcome ideas and contributions. I have freely shared ideas and use cases in various threads in CKAN's various GitHub repos. I have no problem with being told that I am wrong when I've made a mistake (See NetKAN#7144). In the past I have even considered contributing code to CKAN, although that has not happened due to time constraints.

Code of Conduct

Attempt‭ ‬collaboration‭ ‬before‭ ‬conflict.

I believe I have made all reasonable effort to reach out and collaborate, and have behaved in a civil manner throughout.
Unfortunately, that has failed, so things have now come to this [snip].

I do not enjoy having to do this.

[snip]

If this matter cannot be resolved in a timely fashion, I reserve the right to unilaterally publish the next version of AirlockPlus without the necessary fixes in place for its CKAN metadata, thereby breaking installs for CKAN users when they attempt to upgrade the mod. I've tried everything I can, so at that point the fault would lie squarely with CKAN.
[snip]

Note: I consider NetKAN#7201/#7202 to be an unrelated matter, and will deal with separately after this is resolved.

Edited by Snark
Redacted by moderator

On 5/23/2019 at 10:57 PM, cakepie said:

Dear users: I apologize for this interruption to normal functioning of this thread, but I regret to inform you that CKAN has been ignoring me for over a month, and as a result the next version of AirlockPlus has been delayed for nearly two weeks now.

At this point I feel I have no other option but to call them out for this behavior.
I have issued an ultimatum on CKAN's forum thread demanding that they take immediate action; a copy of this included in the spoiler below lest they censor it over there.

CKAN users: if CKAN refuses to make the necessary changes in order to be able to install AirlockPlus correctly, I may be forced to release AirlockPlus v0.0.11 without the correct CKAN metadata support. Consequently, if you attempt to install or update AirlockPlus via CKAN it will most likely not work properly. In that case, you would need to uninstall CKAN's copy of AirlockPlus and perform a manual installation by yourself. I hope that you find AirlockPlus useful enough to be worth the additional effort of performing a manual installation.

Reveal hidden contents

[snip]

I opened github issue NetKAN#7131 on Apr 15 because I perceived a need for CKAN to index the Harmony C# patching library. This request was driven by the fact that I would soon be using it in my mods. My goal was (and still is) to have CKAN index it so that it can be installed once and then used as a shared dependency by multiple mods; this would conserve disk space and forestall any potential problems with having multiple copies of the library, possibly of different versions (a known issue in some other games).

In response to a question from CKAN project members about how Harmony behaves when multiple copies exist, I put in the effort to run some tests and reported back the results on Apr 18. A discussion ensued over the next few days about whether or not it should be indexed; I continued to state the case for indexing with concrete reasoning and use cases, and countered what I saw as flawed arguments from the other side.

Discussion ceased after Apr 20 with no formal decision or resolution on the matter.

More than two weeks passed, during which time I continued to make progress on developing my mods. As they the point of release gradually approached, on May 6 I offered to take additional steps to assuage concerns expressed by CKAN team members about perceived risks if they indexed the Harmony library.

On May 10 I completed updates to the AirlockPlus mod, such that it now has Harmony as a dependency. Since making it available as a full release would break installations for existing CKAN users, I opted to temporarily offer it as a pre-release, while pointing out to CKAN that the the lack of progress on issue #7131 had become a blocker preventing me from releasing the next version of my mod.

Still nothing.

After a further >10 days had passed, I decided to attempt to spur some on progress the matter and submitted PR #7200 on May 21 to make the necessary changes so that I could properly publish the next version of AirlockPlus. @DasSkelett was quick to help fix a problem I had with the CKAN syntax, but after that, nothing again.

Before anyone counters that the PR has only been up for a bit over 48 hours -- let me reiterate that I had provided notice about the urgency of the matter on May 10, and as of right now, AirlockPlus v0.0.11 has been delayed by almost two weeks. Furthermore, for over a month (since Apr 20) I might as well have been talking to a wall. Throughout this time, CKAN project members have been active on other issues and pull requests, as well as on the KSP forums.

This morning, I even interacted with a CKAN team member in a different github issue to discuss other unrelated things -- but when I made an aside appeal to have PR #7200 looked at, it was quickly shut down as off-topic. That would not be unreasonable in any other circumstance, but suffice to say I am frustrated and all out of patience after [snip] so long.

So, here we are at the end of the day and there is still no progress on #7131 or #7200.
How hard is it to merge a PR, or drop a quick message explain the delay, or provide some reassurance that it will be looked at soon?

I understand we all have other commitments outside of modding, and CKAN's priorities are different from my priorities [snip]. If a delay is needed, you should inform me and explain why. If you've decided to turn down my request, let me know so that I can proceed accordingly. [snip]

For the record: I am not be a CKAN user myself, but I understand and appreciate its place in the modding ecosystem for trying to make it easy and convenient for end users to install mods (albeit that is not always the goal of the modder, and CKAN has been known to mess up installs to the point that some modders refuse to support or allow CKAN installs.)
In CKAN#2732 when I asked for explicit opt-out of my mods from CKAN to prevent prototype code from being distributed outside of my control, it was correctly observed that I was "not antagonistic to CKAN" like most people on the opt-out list. I am well aware of the circumstances of the controversy back 2016 that led to that opt-out list. I was not personally involved in those events and so bore no ill-will against CKAN, but was cautiously hopeful that the CKAN organization had improved since then. Notice the use of past tense. My stock of goodwill for CKAN has now been depleted.

CONTRIBUTING.md:

Please report bugs and open issues generously. Don't be afraid that your idea is silly, or you're reporting a duplicate. We're happy to hear from you.

CKAN purports to welcome ideas and contributions. I have freely shared ideas and use cases in various threads in CKAN's various GitHub repos. I have no problem with being told that I am wrong when I've made a mistake (See NetKAN#7144). In the past I have even considered contributing code to CKAN, although that has not happened due to time constraints.

Code of Conduct

I believe I have made all reasonable effort to reach out and collaborate, and have behaved in a civil manner throughout.

[snip]

If this matter cannot be resolved in a timely fashion, I reserve the right to unilaterally publish the next version of AirlockPlus without the necessary fixes in place for its CKAN metadata, thereby breaking installs for CKAN users when they attempt to upgrade the mod. I've tried everything I can, so at that point the fault would lie squarely with CKAN.
[snip]

Note: I consider NetKAN#7201/#7202 to be an unrelated matter, and will deal with separately after this is resolved.

I guess I don't understand why you feel that you need to wait for CKAN to release your new version - they are not the authority on the distribution of mods, and mod users do just fine without CKAN...

On 5/23/2019 at 10:57 PM, cakepie said:

I have issued an ultimatum on CKAN's forum thread demanding that they take immediate action; a copy of this included in the spoiler below lest they censor it over there.

Reveal hidden contents

[snip]

Still nothing.

CONTRIBUTING.md:

Code of Conduct

[snip]

[snip]

Sorry to hear about this. I stopped using CKAN long ago, when I realized it was another thing to go wrong and cause issues in gameData.

Thanks for your work on this mod, I'll be happy to keep downloading by hand.

3 hours ago, AccidentalDisassembly said:

I don't understand why you feel that you need to wait for CKAN to release your new version

If I release the next version without CKAN updating their metadata, it will not install the mod correctly for CKAN users when they update. I would prefer not to leave users in the lurch like that.

1 minute ago, cakepie said:

If I release the next version without CKAN updating their metadata, it will not install the mod correctly for CKAN users when they update. I would prefer not to leave users in the lurch like that.

It seems to me that CKAN is creating more problems than it's solving, in that case.. but of course you should do whatever you'd like!

0.0.11 is finally live.

v0.0.11 for KSP 1.7.x - 1.3.x
Requires Harmony (v1.2.0.1 included in download)
Requires Module Manager (please obtain separately)
Community Trait Icons is strongly recommended

v 0.0.11 2019-06-02
add Harmony dependency
replace many horrible ugly brittle hacks with safer patch-based approaches
spawning EVA now uses patches on FlightEVA to feed correct data to hatch obstruction tests instead of tampering with passed arguments
fix spurious results from FlightEVA.hatchInsideFairing being fed wrong information due to stock limitations
fix strange positioning/orientation behavior of spawned kerbal probably caused by tampered data in passed arguments
patch KerbalEVA to disable stock command hints during manual boarding instead of brute force removal at every frame
patch KerbalEVA to safely disable stock boarding when auto boarding encounters full vessel instead of outright disabling of KerbalEVA
patch CrewHatchDialog postfix to provide notifications when the dialog is ready/terminated
discard hacks for checking if CrewHatchDialog populated and ready for hijack/augment
rework timeout logic for matching airlock mod+click input handling to stock CrewHatchDialog spawning
better cleanup when hijacked CrewHatchDialog is closed instead of only when EVA button pressed
add crew type icons to stock crew hatch dialog when spawned via crew transfer PAW action rather than clicking airlock

• 1 month later...

I'm having troubles with a simple ship right now, using a Mk1 command pod, with a Pier Station Core (another 1.25m hatchless crew part from Nertea's station expansion), and the mod only recognizes the one crew member in the Mk1 pod when I alt-click the hatch. Any thoughts on this?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.