[1.7.x ~ 1.3.x] AirlockPlus: EVA to/from any part, using any airlock [ v.0.0.11 @ 2019-06-02 ]

cakepie

Chasing around finding the correct "spot" for the hatch UI pop-up to show up, is usually due to too large a ladder collider, overlapping the hatch collider.... Hovering over the hatch collider is what triggers the UI, IIRC... if there isnt enough of the hatch collider "visible", from a large, overlapping ladder collider, that can make it difficult to get the UI to open...

Edited by Stone Blue

• 1 month later...

I've been going through and testing all my mods and I just can't get this to work.  The extra hotkeys show up when I am near a hatch while controlling a kerbal, but they dont do anything.  And Alt+clicking on a hatch on the vessel does nothing different than normal clicking.  No errors related to the mod in my log.  Just not working for me.  I'm playing 1.3.1 and using good number of other mods, so maybe its just conflicting with something.  

Edited by eberkain

@eberkain Have you tried this mod on its own on a vanilla install? Doing so will help ascertain if your issue is caused by a conflict with another mod, or if it's due to something else (perhaps related to your system, settings, etc.)

Just telling me "it doesn't work" doesn't help me help you. It's simply not possible without sufficient information. That means logs and reproducability.
When issues arise due to interaction with other mods, I need that the source of the problem be narrowed down to the minimal number of mods that would cause the problem.

On 1/1/2018 at 4:41 PM, fourfa said:

Try searching on StoreMyReports. I think it’s not up to date but might still work

4 hours ago, cakepie said:

@eberkain Have you tried this mod on its own on a vanilla install? Doing so will help ascertain if your issue is caused by a conflict with another mod, or if it's due to something else (perhaps related to your system, settings, etc.)

Just telling me "it doesn't work" doesn't help me help you. It's simply not possible without sufficient information. That means logs and reproducability.
When issues arise due to interaction with other mods, I need that the source of the problem be narrowed down to the minimal number of mods that would cause the problem.

I am planning to do some more testing to see if I can figure it out, just haven't gotten to it yet.

Have you considered providing mm patches to remove crew capacity from dedicated airlock parts or do you know of any parts mods that do so when your mod is installed? With life support mods airlocks with crew capacity is slightly immersion breaking so I would love to add your mod to my install. If I do so and if you are interested I can share mm patches with your for the part packs that I am using.

5 hours ago, canisin said:

Have you considered providing mm patches to remove crew capacity from dedicated airlock parts or do you know of any parts mods that do so when your mod is installed? With life support mods airlocks with crew capacity is slightly immersion breaking so I would love to add your mod to my install. If I do so and if you are interested I can share mm patches with your for the part packs that I am using.

I am not aware of any mods that remove crew capacity from their parts if AirlockPlus is present.

If you'd like to share your mm patches for removing crew capacity from other mod parts, I'd be happy to make them available so that others can benefit.

Re: whether it is realistic or not that "dedicated" airlock parts have crew capacity (long-ish discussion):

Spoiler

I understand where you're coming from, and I agree that it is unrealistic that some airlock parts have crew capacity. But I don't think it has anything to do with life support mods.

Crew capacity in KSP is simply "here is a seat for one kerbal". Whether it be a workspace (pilots - flight deck, scientists - lab) or just plain old passenger capacity, it ultimately represents a location where a crew member can be buckled in and secured. It doesn't care about "passing through" (crew transfers are instantaneous teleports), and it is not intended to reflect "habitation space" (e.g. sleeping, hygiene, etc).

The issue with airlock parts is that they must have a minimum crew capacity of one, to enable kerbals to be transferred to/from it, since stock KSP airlocks only work for kerbals that are in the airlock part.
Depending on the part and the context that it is used in, this may or may not seem realistic:

• In a surface facility or base, there are generally dedicated modules for working and living spaces, so you'd generally just pass through an airlock module, rather than stay in it for any extended duration.
  • It is actually quite reasonable for larger airlock modules (e.g. on an orbital station) to be thought of as having crew capacity. An airlock module could perform double duty as a livable space when not in use. This is especially so if it has a separate compartment for equipment storage (where you put on/take off spacesuits) that is distinct from the airlock section (that gets depressurized for ingress/egress). For instance, on the ISS, it is typical to camp out in the Quest airlock for one night before going on spacewalks, and the airlock was one of the common locations where visiting shuttle crews would bunk down.
  • Smaller airlocks (e.g. on spacecraft) are not generally used for working/livable space, so they probably shouldn't count as crew capacity. But you could probably accommodate someone there in a pinch; after all it must be large enough for at least one or more people in bulky space suits. The space shuttle airlock is easily more spacious than a capsule hotel.
  • Parts like airstairs (not an airlock per-se, but still a dedicated point of ingress/egress) could conceivably have a jump seat.

So it's on a case-by-case basis.

As for your complaint about immersion breaking. Life support mods add resources (food, oxygen, etc) that you need to allocate and manage, but that is a separate and distinct game mechanic from crew capacity. I think your issue stems from the fact that such mods will usually add some LS resource capacity to all crewable modules. This is generally a reasonable thing to do -- after all, spaceship with 3 crew needs life support for 3 crew. But when you've built a spaceship with 3 crew that has an additional airlock, you don't want it to end up having life support for 4 crew. The correct solution in this case -- without relying on additional mods -- is to reduce or remove life support capability from airlocks.

Of course, using AirlockPlus also allows you to solve the problem, because now you can simply remove the crew capacity from the offending airlock parts.

Edited by cakepie
formatting

15 hours ago, cakepie said:

<snip>

As for your complaint about immersion breaking. Life support mods add resources (food, oxygen, etc) that you need to allocate and manage, but that is a separate and distinct game mechanic from crew capacity. I think your issue stems from the fact that such mods will usually add some LS resource capacity to all crewable modules. This is generally a reasonable thing to do -- after all, spaceship with 3 crew needs life support for 3 crew. But when you've built a spaceship with 3 crew that has an additional airlock, you don't want it to end up having life support for 4 crew. The correct solution in this case -- without relying on additional mods -- is to reduce or remove life support capability from airlocks.

Of course, using AirlockPlus also allows you to solve the problem, because now you can simply remove the crew capacity from the offending airlock parts.

Pretty much this. Specifically I was worried about habitation effects in USI LS where (I think) every part with crew capacity contributes to the ship's habitation capacity. It is very similar to what you are describing about life support supplies. But then again, looking at some of the parts that I had in mind, they really are kind of spacious just as you were describing. Potentially, even authors of those parts might have balanced their size and mass with the required crew capacity in mind. But I will sure write an mm patch and come back here if I run across any parts that are purely just doors. Or any case where too much life support is added to an airlock.

• 3 weeks later...

Have seem a similar problem to one mentioned above. Ctrl-B and Shift-B do not give the listed functions and only work is stock B, though they do show up in the text. The Alt-Click on the airlock does give the stated menu options for EVA though.

Log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kxdhsxpr1d4o98n/output_log.txt?dl=0

@JeffreyCor there's several things going on here, let's try to test / troubleshoot each feature separately.
Note: if you can please provide both logfiles KSP.log and output_log.txt, that would be helpful.

1a. Alt+click on airlock

You reported that this was working. From the log, I can only see one attempt, which indeed succeeded.
However, we cannot be certain from just one attempt. Can you try more times and see if it is consistent?
Does it sometimes fail? E.g. the stock dialog box shows up instead, or nothing shows up at all.

I'm asking this, because it may give some insight into the next issue --

1b. Click on airlock
I can see you have CTI installed, so you should be getting the crew type icons added to the stock airlock dialog box, even when you only click (and not alt+click) on the airlock.

You didn't explicitly say anything about this, but based on the log, I see that you did this twice, and both appear to have failed:

[AirlockPlus] INFO: click detected on airlock, standing by to hijack CrewHatchDialog.
[AirlockPlus] INFO: considering hijack @ frame +1
[AirlockPlus] INFO: considering hijack @ frame +6
[AirlockPlus] INFO: CrewHatchController is still inactive, aborting hijack.

Can you please confirm that both times, the stock airlock dialog box showed up (as expected in vanilla), without CTI icons?
I would appreciate if you could test this with more attempts, and see if it would perhaps sometimes work.

This issue has cropped up before, but I didn't hear back about whether the problem got fixed or not.
Depending on what your testing reveals, I'm hoping to be able to finally solve this.

2. Boarding

6 hours ago, JeffreyCor said:

they do show up in the text

You mean the green text in the middle of the screen? (This would confirm that trigger detection is working properly.)

6 hours ago, JeffreyCor said:

Ctrl-B and Shift-B do not give the listed functions and only work is stock B

Can you please clarify: while the kerbal is standing at the airlock (and the green text is showing), and you press Ctrl+B or Shift+B, which of these occurs?

a. Instead of the "Ctrl+B" or "Shift+B" behavior, the game reacts as if only "B" was pressed. If there is space in the airlock part, the kerbal boards that part, otherwise you get a message saying "Cannot board a full module"

b. Nothing happens.

As far as I can tell from the log, Bill Kerman boarded Mk1 Lander Can of Mun Lander Experiment Installer twice, but neither of these were done by AirlockPlus. I can't tell if these were failed attempts to use AirlockPlus (but you got stock behavior instead), or if you'd simply used stock boarding (just "B")

In your logfile, AirlockPlus never detected any Ctrl+B or Shift+B, which could mean that either:

a. You didn't use the correct inputs
Please make sure that you are using left shift and left control, and are holding down shift/ctrl while pressing and releasing the B key.
This is important, because boarding will only occur when the B key is released.
Also do make sure RCS is off, just to be sure.

or

b. Something else is preventing AirlockPlus from registering your inputs
Please try without any other mods installed. You appear to have many other mods installed; we need to ascertain if there is actually a problem between AirlockPlus and KSP, or if some other mod is interfering somehow.
(Since you're on steam: you can make another copy of KSP to do this testing, so your original copy doesn't get affected when you remove mods, etc.)

Please clarify/test the above and let me know how it goes.

15 hours ago, cakepie said:

@JeffreyCor there's several things going on here, let's try to test / troubleshoot each feature separately.
Note: if you can please provide both logfiles KSP.log and output_log.txt, that would be helpful.

1a. Alt+click on airlock

You reported that this was working. From the log, I can only see one attempt, which indeed succeeded.
However, we cannot be certain from just one attempt. Can you try more times and see if it is consistent?
Does it sometimes fail? E.g. the stock dialog box shows up instead, or nothing shows up at all.

I'm asking this, because it may give some insight into the next issue --

1b. Click on airlock
I can see you have CTI installed, so you should be getting the crew type icons added to the stock airlock dialog box, even when you only click (and not alt+click) on the airlock.

You didn't explicitly say anything about this, but based on the log, I see that you did this twice, and both appear to have failed:

[AirlockPlus] INFO: click detected on airlock, standing by to hijack CrewHatchDialog.
[AirlockPlus] INFO: considering hijack @ frame +1
[AirlockPlus] INFO: considering hijack @ frame +6
[AirlockPlus] INFO: CrewHatchController is still inactive, aborting hijack.

Can you please confirm that both times, the stock airlock dialog box showed up (as expected in vanilla), without CTI icons?
I would appreciate if you could test this with more attempts, and see if it would perhaps sometimes work.

This issue has cropped up before, but I didn't hear back about whether the problem got fixed or not.
Depending on what your testing reveals, I'm hoping to be able to finally solve this.

2. Boarding

You mean the green text in the middle of the screen? (This would confirm that trigger detection is working properly.)

Can you please clarify: while the kerbal is standing at the airlock (and the green text is showing), and you press Ctrl+B or Shift+B, which of these occurs?

a. Instead of the "Ctrl+B" or "Shift+B" behavior, the game reacts as if only "B" was pressed. If there is space in the airlock part, the kerbal boards that part, otherwise you get a message saying "Cannot board a full module"

b. Nothing happens.

As far as I can tell from the log, Bill Kerman boarded Mk1 Lander Can of Mun Lander Experiment Installer twice, but neither of these were done by AirlockPlus. I can't tell if these were failed attempts to use AirlockPlus (but you got stock behavior instead), or if you'd simply used stock boarding (just "B")

In your logfile, AirlockPlus never detected any Ctrl+B or Shift+B, which could mean that either:

a. You didn't use the correct inputs
Please make sure that you are using left shift and left control, and are holding down shift/ctrl while pressing and releasing the B key.
This is important, because boarding will only occur when the B key is released.
Also do make sure RCS is off, just to be sure.

or

b. Something else is preventing AirlockPlus from registering your inputs
Please try without any other mods installed. You appear to have many other mods installed; we need to ascertain if there is actually a problem between AirlockPlus and KSP, or if some other mod is interfering somehow.
(Since you're on steam: you can make another copy of KSP to do this testing, so your original copy doesn't get affected when you remove mods, etc.)

Please clarify/test the above and let me know how it goes.

Clarifying I can do right away. :)

Alt-Click works every time, I only reconfirmed it once when getting all occurrences in a log. I did not bring anyone out on EVA just confirmed the window showed correctly. Click by itself brings stock window, Alt-Click brings Airlock window with all crew listed. CTI icons showed up fine as well without issue with Airlock window.

When grabbing onto the outside of the airlock (F) the green text shows as would expect B to board, Ctrl-B to select where to board to, Shift-B to automatically board available area.

While Bill was outside the airlock, pressed Ctrl-B and it boarded the ship, just as if B was pressed by itself without Airlock. When intentionally putting him outside the second airlock that was full, used Shift-B and got message it was full. Same as if pressing B on a fully pod without Airlock. Both time holding Ctrl / Shift first, and action took place immediately when B was pressed.

Edited by JeffreyCor

5 hours ago, JeffreyCor said:

Click by itself brings stock window, Alt-Click brings Airlock window with all crew listed. CTI icons showed up fine as well without issue with Airlock window.

When you click only, is the stock window with or without CTI icons?

3 hours ago, cakepie said:

When you click only, is the stock window with or without CTI icons?

With I believe, but I am double checking right now as I cannot remember with certainty. Just check, I remembered correctly CTI icons do show with stock window as well.

I tried to get it to work in my heavily modded game and I can get the menu to show up that allows me to EVA from any part to the hatch i clicked on.  That works well   Entering the vessel does not work.  I get the prompt that shows Shift+B and CTRL+B options, both just execute a normal board action.  

KSP Log : https://drive.google.com/open?id=1L0xmKVkRmUJvGKQCUH6mQZ2DkN09KkN8

Output Log: https://drive.google.com/open?id=11jXnpDFpULRYJ6rUNfkz9Fk-Ly8qNr8T

I see several we both have. I've been able to determine there is no conflict with Filter Extensions, Toolbar, EVA Enhancements Continues, KAS, KIS, Inferal Robotics (MagicSmoteIndustries), KerbalKonstructs, Kerbenside, KRnD, Nav Utilities. There are several others in common but those I thought might most likely cause the boarding issue. As those are ruled out it looks like it is something obscure.

Edited by JeffreyCor

JeffreyCor / eberkain -- looks like alighting features are nominal, then.

As for boarding, in both cases logfiles indicate that AirlockPlus does not register any Ctrl-B / Shift-B inputs when on modded.
Jeffrey: you've confirmed boarding is working in a clean install, so looking for a probable mod conflict.
eberkain: would be great if you could also test and confirm that it is working on unmodded.

@eberkain, @JeffreyCor

Here's something which may help identify what's interfering in your modded installs. Position a kerbal at an airlock (such that the Ctrl/Shift+B prompts show up); open the debug window (Alt+F12) and select "Input Locks" under "Console", and snap a screenshot for me.

inputlock.png

Edited by cakepie

Ditto, AmpYear looks like is being the problem. I can't even think of any inputs AmpYear uses so never would have guessed.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4spluon3qsw9t2c/screenshot1.png?dl=0

UPDATE: AmpYear is not the only conflict. I removed AmpYear to test and redid the procedure. Now current input lock is AGExtControlLock. So there are at least 2 that are not playing well with AirlockPlus. :(

https://www.dropbox.com/s/runo9f2grj877en/screenshot0.png?dl=0

Edited by JeffreyCor

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.