Why does Dres get barely any attention?

Dcseal

15 minutes ago, cratercracker said:

Dres  has the similarity with the Mun,But Dres offers some of the best viewes in the entire Kerbol system.

Take a peak at bautiful Valleys and watch the sun fall under horizon, or find a very pleasent lowload to watch the faraway mountain chains, many more you can find by just landing on Dres.

Me: 

IMG_2239.PNG

1 minute ago, DarkOwl57 said:

Well I'm only using Dres in The Final Stand for one reason. No-one bothered to look there after Jeb left, and that's where he's been hiding for 50 years

:cool:

because its basically just Mun, but farther away and in an inclined orbit.

One might say that about Moho, but Moho has extra challenge to it. Moho transfer windows are also more frequent, and the trips are shorter.

Eeloo is farther away, but at least looks visually distinct from Mun, and then you get the bragging rights of visiting the most distant object in stock.

Dres... its just in the middle with no particular incentive to go there. Getting there doesn't feel like as much of an achievement as getting to Eeloo/Moho/Tylo

But FWIW, I've gone there more than I've gone to Bop, Val, and Pol... those moons I don't see much incentive to go to. Sure, I may be in the system as part of building a base on Laythe, and I may take on the challenge of Tylo while I'm there... but those other 3 moons... meh... I know I can do it, so, why do it more than once?

On 5/8/2017 at 11:50 AM, regex said:

You go to Dres because you want to. Most people apparently don't want to.

I like it. I've been to Dres far more than Laythe (only been to Laythe once, and that in a upscale solar system using a novelty AN-2).

That ship...  Have you been playing some CoaDE?

10 minutes ago, Archgeek said:

That ship...  Have you been playing some CoaDE?

I own it but, no, I haven't been playing it. Controls are ... unintuitive and the "playwalling" of features turned me off. I'll probably revisit it at some point, updates are looking promising.

I like the more realistic-looking ships, radiators, skeletal frames to keep mass down, etc...

In our world, the asteroids have usually been a lower-priority destination than the planets proper. And KSP's Dres suffers from twin disadvantages compared to real life:

• In the game, the science reward is completely interchangeable and you can complete the technology tree. Opportunities to visit the Mün / Minmus / Duna / Eve come up before you can reach Dres; then Dres and Jool become available together (and probably Eeloo too).
  • In the metagame, the player will already know quite a bit about Dres in the tracking station, in KSPedia, from their previous games, and on the web. Human curiosity isn't going to be as strong a motive when the target is already three-quarters known.
    • One for @OhioBob's kerbal astronomy expertise: how close would a modern era real life probe have to be to image Dres with about the resolution we see in the tracking station?

Dres probably gets quite a bit of quiet curiosity from individual players, but they likely tend to not execute or post missions about it. (Just a Hypothesis)

I personally believe a 'lack of focus' can be attributed to a number of things:

1) Grey artwork is uninspiring especially when its not so close and easy to encounter

2) Dres is too far away to be easy, and too close to be difficult in most players minds - therefore it could be characterised as "the mediocre middle part" of the game

3) Dres is a strong candidate to be the "canary in the coal mine" regarding squads attention to detail - The 'idea of Dres' is inspiring, but the art and execution seems demotivating - and this gently applies to all the bodies in the system once a player has matured their play and experienced the bulk of destinations (yes even through peeking via the tracking centre)

4) "I'm Dres, Respect my Author-a-tay!" threads don't actually translate into viable challenges that inspire new players to actually go to Dres, rather they seem to generally degrade into comic attitudes and sarcasm (Not like there's anything wrong with that)

5) Jool... Duna...

TL;DR  comprehensive art/science/biome/"Stuff to do" redux anyone? anyone? Bueller? Squad? (there are an increasing amount of really good planet packs out there, they are likely being created because of... reasons)

6) RSS (Hey, why not? I said it was personal didn't I?)

Edited by Wallygator

7 minutes ago, Physics Student said:

I always thought it was a piece of dust on my Monitor

must be somethin cool. If i google it i get pictures of girls in nice dresses.

New clothing styles for female Kerbals confirmed ?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.