What is the farthest distance one of your spacecrafts has traveled?

CobaltShock

I saw a post pretty similar to this one, asking viewers what their longest missions were. That post is severely outdated, and so I thought about reviving it, especially since new planet packs mean that there are new reasons to travel farther than ever before. I'll start.

The Horizon's IV spacecraft is going to Go into Nero's SOI in 13 in game years, and fly by Grannus in the next 43 years. It's going to take a while, but it's better than a probe that was supposed to reach Neidon in 18 years (I don't have screenshots). While that would've taken the cake as the farthest spacecraft from home, I was eager to get back into GPP. This image isn't updated, it was just from my GPP mission report which you can find Here. The last time I was in the GPP career save, Horizons IV was far beyond Gratian, so much so that it was at 50% connection, despite the space center being fully upgraded. Guess I need to upgrade my relay network, or make a beeline in the tech tree for the 1TM modded antenna.

AAiJTsU.png

So in my current career save, my longest Mission is Neidon Explorer v1, which will arrive in 5 years.WZ65X9l.jpg

My farthest probe is New Horizons:

GsbTs1f.jpg

My farthest spacecraft ever (not in this save) is this one:

fymGsSR.jpg

I placed the probe that far out using hyperedit while messing around :cool:

Edited by Julien Kerman

2 hours ago, Julien Kerman said:

So in my current career save, my longest Mission is Neidon Explorer v1, which will arrive in 5 years.

A 7 year mission to Neidon? That's nearly half the time of my trip! I'm guessing you used a gravity assist, or just a spacecraft with much more dV than mine.

4 minutes ago, joacobanfield said:

Does a MechJeb module that got Krakenified during reentry and shot out of the solar system at 1300 km/s count?

It´s at like 500 Gs or so.

Wasn't that that that post a little while ago? I mean, they probably count, but I'd say any legit space debris or spacecraft just to be safe. We've all hopped into a sandbox mode and made a spacecraft that intended to leave the Kerbol system, just to see how small the Sun can get.

I think the real limit to this thread is "what's the farthest distance object you have modded into your game."  :)  For practical reasons, I presume you mean actual missions that you hope to get actual science from, so I will not include my Valentine System probe which has an intercept set up for about 43,000 years.  ( *highly* doubt I'll have the patience to run the game for 3 months to get that one...)  At that point it would be about 10 trillion kilometers though.

I'd be interested in hearing what the longest anyone has planned a manned mission for that took life support into account though.  If you're dealing with perishables, even 2 years would be amazing.

Does Kerbal's EVA suit count as a spacecraft? Because if so I once in a previous version I got launched by going on EVA from a spinnning lander can to... I think it was the edge of the universe because my speed ended up as zero, and I was at 262144 Exameters or something like that. It was some number that looks like what you would get from the limits of binary. Did I mention this happened within the span of the tiny lag spike from leaving Kerbin's SOI?

If the EVA suit doesn't count I really have no idea.

Well, I'm a relative noob here, so my furthest distance afield from Kerbin has been a Duna flyby (in a ship originally built for Mun/Minmus missions, but with the lander stages deleted), and a tandem pair of Gilly landings (because I forgot to put science instruments on the first vessel, and still had the transfer window -- the two launches were a couple days apart, the landings were just over ten days apart, and now the vessels are in phasing orbits, returning to Kerbin without a transfer window -- not enough dV left to try for a high velocity intercept; been out more than a year, likely be another couple years before they can get an encounter).

32+ years as that is when Kerbin will finally intecpt the craft that did a low solar orbit. But, current career save is just beyong Duna. Soonish to be Dres. Farthest in others saves has been Eeloo's orbit.

The farthest distance of my ship is.... IDK. My ship is on escape velocity of kerbol and it's still moving (the navball record the speed at 15,896,579 m/s (I'm using GN drive engine mod, for sending rockets as far as possible for fun (and science)) :)

22 trillion metres from Kerbin. At that distance Solar panels are useless, there is no magnetic field from Kerbol, almost no solar wind, and it's pretty dim for light.

46 minutes ago, GDJ said:

22 trillion metres from Kerbin. At that distance Solar panels are useless, there is no magnetic field from Kerbol, almost no solar wind, and it's pretty dim for light.

Whoa... didn't realize I got that far. My ship is being stuffed with reactors to sustain energy and also disable the commnet to make that far

Edited by ARS

I've been to like 999k Yottameters or 999,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000m above Kerbol once... granted I was using hyperedit. 

It was then I realized that KSP doesn't go much further than that before the whole universe breaks. 

That was a while ago but GL to anyone who tries to get a craft to 999 googolmeters. 

8 hours ago, T.A.P.O.R. said:

In one mod with an added star system, I travelled at max warp for a couple hundred kerbal years.

It still took most of a day in real time.

That's crazy! I know this one person did a warp drive free mission to another planet in another star system in RSS. Took him 600 years. I can't imagine how long that took!

On 5/8/2017 at 2:13 PM, GarrisonChisholm said:

I presume you mean actual missions that you hope to get actual science from, so I will not include my Valentine System probe which has an intercept set up for about 43,000 years.  ( *highly* doubt I'll have the patience to run the game for 3 months to get that one...)  At that point it would be about 10 trillion kilometers though.

Aw, the ~53hr burn not-quite-brachistochrone design didn't wind up working out?

Edited by Archgeek
Went and looked up the numbers

My Sukhoi SU-34 replica exploded on the runway, shooting debris out of the solar system at like 30% the speed of light, last I checked, the number was so long, it was like 6 inches on my screen

Due to timewarping, I travel alot :3

Edited by TheKorbinger

On 5/8/2017 at 3:13 PM, GarrisonChisholm said:

I presume you mean actual missions that you hope to get actual science

No, I just mean any mission with a probe or manned spacecraft. Everybody creates a spacecraft with 11k dV that intends to leave the Kerbol system or any other system. I typically do that to see how much time has progressed. 

Also, images are appreciated as well if any of you have them available! Thanks!

3 hours ago, Archgeek said:

Aw, the ~53hr burn not-quite-brachistochrone design didn't wind up working out?

:\   I'm sorry Arch.  I tried to build it myself rather than DL the file, and after a very laborious deployment the darn thing broke, and I just didn't get back to it.  I was worried about "version" issues-   I should have just DL'd it.

54 minutes ago, GarrisonChisholm said:

:\   I'm sorry Arch.  I tried to build it myself rather than DL the file, and after a very laborious deployment the darn thing broke, and I just didn't get back to it.  I was worried about "version" issues-   I should have just DL'd it.

Hey, no worries.  That monster was pretty much a proof of concept made with the lightest parts I could get away with without making part count go insane.  Amusingly, the silly thing would most likely work better in newer versions, since I ran into those fuel-flow shenanigans which kept me from optimizing the staging as much as I'd like, that were fixed in the version after the one I was working in.

I sent a probe to Keelon from Kerbol Origins. Even using more delta v than I needed to escape the entire solar system, it still took 18 years to reach it..

I also shot a probe out of the solar system and it only took 100 days or so to pass Jool's orbit. I think it's at several thousand Gm from Kerbol now

On 11/05/2017 at 0:37 AM, TheKorbinger said:

My Sukhoi SU-34 replica exploded on the runway, shooting debris out of the solar system at like 30% the speed of light, last I checked, the number was so long, it was like 6 inches on my screen

Due to timewarping, I travel alot :3

Was this when 1.05 became 1.1?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.