X-plane of the Day OPEN SIGN UP

17 hours ago, Triop said:

I'm afraid that we would get many spoilers on this thread before the actual challenge is opened...

I'm suggesting not posting pics here of our work, but just send them to OP.

Maybe post on "work in progress" ?

Yeah. put up a spoiler tag or just PM me the pics

14 hours ago, MiffedStarfish said:

I know it might be a bit late, but can put my name down for the Rockwell XFV-12? It looks really interesting and challenging to build. If we're still doing the put your name down thing. :)

Edit: I've got an idea. How about whatever plane was built by the person on the sheet gets shown as the main plane, while any others built could be put in a Dropbox folder which can be downloaded. So the download would look like this:

Main Craft: -download link-

All Crafts Built: -download link for every submission of the plane-

There could also be signature-size pictures of them. This would mean everyone who wanted to could have their plane featured, while not cluttering up the main post with with pictures of different builds.

Yes, you can have the XFV-12. will add your name in the slot

11 hours ago, swjr-swis said:

I made some electroprops for my Kerman Flyer that are absolutely 99.99% reliable (the sole exception being not to switch focus to a craft, or debris, more than 2km away... the game's automatic unloading will dislodge the bearings when you focus back). It uses two bearings to stabilize the rotor and will happily run for hours without a hitch through all kinds of acrobatic flying.

The design is pretty straightforward I think, all parts are placed using the stock snap positions, it needs no freeform fiddling, just a bit of extra offset allowance (settings.cfg, VAB_FINE_OFFSET_THRESHOLD, works for SPH too; I have it set to 10). If there is any interest in it I can record a video of how I assemble them.

Feel free to reuse them, in this case the root part is the cubic octagonal strut which allows them to be radially attached with a lot of freedom.

Speaking of which: @NorthAmericanAviation, would a replica of the Wright Flyer fit as a submission for this thread? After all, it is the quintessential experimental/prototype/tech demo aircraft. You'll find all you need to make an article on the Kerman Flyer craft page (craft file, lots of pics, several videos).

Thank you for the electro-props! and to the Wright flyer, yes, i think that would be a great way to kick this thing off!

7 hours ago, Yukon0009 said:

I've built an X-34, a design I haven't seen anyone replicate in KSP before. I did build one way back in 0.25, but it couldn't actually fly if I remember correctly.

Long story short, X-34 was supposed to be a testbed for SSTO technologies or something like that. Mine flies with the help of clipped reaction wheels, something I haven't done in a long time, because it's just too unresponsive to controls without. Was intended for it to launch from a Lockheed Tristar, which I don't have at the moment.

<Snip>

Download (WIP)

if you want the X-34, go for it!
I'll change the OP again to keep it up to date with all this new content

2 hours ago, Servo said:

I had them on the list originally, but I removed them (along with all concept planes that weren't built) because the list was 100+ planes.

Ah, ok. I'll remove the ones I re-added.

1 hour ago, qzgy said:

Ah, ok. I'll remove the ones I re-added.

If you want to build them, go for it. 

If we get too many craft, we can start lumping craft. M2L1-3, X-24A-B, and the like. Nothing drastic.

35 minutes ago, Servo said:

If you want to build them, go for it. 

If we get too many craft, we can start lumping craft. M2L1-3, X-24A-B, and the like. Nothing drastic.

Ok. They should be easier builds than some of the other ones.

On 5/9/2017 at 6:03 PM, Triop said:

Going through the list, I'm a big F-5 fan (I live near a base where they were stationed,I'm getting old...), so I know my stuff, but I have never seen  THIS: :confused:

F-5E_Shaped_Sonic_Boom_Demonstration_air

Awesome, maybe I'll have a go ^_^

That's a DARPA testbed for the QSST called the SSBD, based on the F-5. 

It has been 8 days now, and I believe it is time to name a start-date for the official X-Plane-of-the-Day Thread. The craft backlog has grown a fair deal, but it is important to keep the ball rolling now, so I intend to officially start the thread on Sunday, May 21st, 2017. If you object to that date or have any other request, act on that by Saturday, May 20th, 2017.

Lockheed-Martin X-27 is mine!

X-27_mockup.jpg

I'll build the actual X-27/CL-1600 airframe which was designed for high speed testing. I might go a bit alternate history and add stock missiles, but only if I can get the plane right.

2 hours ago, NotAnAimbot said:

Lockheed-Martin X-27 is mine!

I'll build the actual X-27/CL-1600 airframe which was designed for high speed testing. I might go a bit alternate history and add stock missiles, but only if I can get the plane right.

Good luck! Now, of course, I have to worry about you and @NorthAmericanAviation fighting for the NAA acronym.

I've been pretty busy with life, but I took a swing at the F-16XL today. I'll be free to continue working on filling out the early jets soon, in preparation for the launch on Sunday.

VjNBnDb.png

Cranked arrow wings are something that aren't seen a lot (outside some Saab jets. The Swedes like them, for some reason), and the F-16XL was designed to determine how practical they really were. The cranked wing improved the fuel capacity by 80%, and increased the weapons loadout to an obscene 27 hardpoints.

1 hour ago, Servo said:

@NorthAmericanAviation

Cranked arrow wings are something that aren't seen a lot (outside some Saab jets. The Swedes like them, for some reason), and the F-16XL was designed to determine how practical they really were. The cranked wing improved the fuel capacity by 80%, and increased the weapons loadout to an obscene 27 hardpoints.

So why not use them?

Also, is it ok to work on craft until the release?

7 hours ago, qzgy said:

So why not use them?

Also, is it ok to work on craft until the release?

Generally poor low-speed handling, plus a few aerodynamic considerations. In order to effectively lift the plane, a less efficient (for speed) airfoil has to be used. Also, delta wings have less lift per surface area, necessitating a larger, heavier, more expensive, wing.

As for continuing building, of course. NAA and I worked up a backlog of two weeks of craft, plus a number of miscellaneous craft (no more than 50% of them) before we released the thread. We built the other 50% As the thread continued 

2 hours ago, MiffedStarfish said:

and figure out how to fix this weird problem I'm having with the flaps, they both go in opposite directions when I pull up, and invert deploy direction does nothing.

A known issue that sometimes randomly crops up while editing craft; symmetry gets confused somehow, is saved to the craft, and from that point on they act weird. It happens more often when control surfaces are near the CoM, the point where the engine flips around how the surfaces deploy - flaps are usually right about at that point.

Two solutions:

• In the editor, deploy them, then with the offset tool move each of them a notch back and forth (so they end up again where they were). Most times, this is all it takes to make them both deploy to the same side again.
  • Sometimes that doesn't help though, and all you can do is remove them entirely and replace them with new ones (not even just detaching and then placing them again - for some reason, sometimes they remember this weird deployment symmetry even when detached).

Finished my X-27 too! It has a slightly higher top speed at Mach 3, but otherwise it's very similar in size and performance to the real thing. The elevators even have the same 25 degree deviation.

x-27.jpg

Actual plane for reference, a pose which I replicated.

6gTgKcU.pngwB5nrmY.png

Also, for @NorthAmericanAviation or @Servo, if you guys are writing the bio, I found a good ad by Lockheed on the X-27. The wording on the OP is a bit confusing, so I'm not sure if we make the post and write an article or if you guys do it.

If you don't want to make the post in the thread, I will make an article for it. (Ex.- The SR-71 post in Jet-of-the-Day.)
Myself or @Servo will write the articles, your craft will be linked to and showcased with pictures, etc.

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,832.0.html

16 hours ago, NotAnAimbot said:

<snip>

Also, for @NorthAmericanAviation or @Servo, if you guys are writing the bio, I found a good ad by Lockheed on the X-27. The wording on the OP is a bit confusing, so I'm not sure if we make the post and write an article or if you guys do it.

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,832.0.html

Yeah, I left grey area because at the time I was unsure as to how much work it would be to write a page of text for each aircraft. Some people sent articles to me, though. I guess what I meant was that I'd feel bad taking all the 'like' points for other's work, despite giving credit. In jet-of-the-day, we posted and wrote only for the craft we created (2 exceptions), as in I posted and wrote about my craft, @Servo did the same, and no overlap. The Official starting post of X-plane-of-the-Day, what this has been working towards, will clarify. Everybody involved will be tagged.

I'm working on my X-47A right now, and have nearly finished. However, as it was meant to be used on carriers, I would like to take a screenshot of it launching off one. Problem is, I dont have any aircraft carriers. Does anyone have one I can borrow to get the shot?

Q4Z1WUj.jpg

Here it is, what do you think?

Edited by MiffedStarfish

Looks good--- I see how you did the intakes. As for carriers, why not search for them on KerbalX.com or in the WIP thread? the last time I had one was when structural panels floated...

3 hours ago, MiffedStarfish said:

I'm working on my X-47A right now, and have nearly finished. However, as it was meant to be used on carriers, I would like to take a screenshot of it launching off one. Problem is, I dont have any aircraft carriers. Does anyone have one I can borrow to get the shot?
<Snip>
what do you think?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.