Model Rocketry Thread

Vostok

Following the apparent loss of the last thread, I thought I should make a new one. This is for discussion of model rockets, be they functional or not.

I'll kick off with the latest images of my home-made rocket, which I'm beginning to re-build.

I've not worked out how to do spoilers on this damn new forum layout, and it doesn't resize images for you, so here are some crappy thumbnail links. :(

dsc0529m.th.jpg

dsc0531uy.th.jpg

dsc0532f.th.jpg

Yes, that is a 10p that's soldered into the end. Here is a nice shiny new image of the shiny brass fins.

I need moar shiny.

dsc0533t.th.jpg

Hopefully we'll get more updates on the other rocket projects from the old thread, I loved those!

Edited by Vostok

Where back up.

Another great looking (Shiny) rocket.

Why is it made from metal (Alliminuim? Wont that be lethal if the parachute fails?

Or is it a must, with your own mixture?

On another note:

I have found an important answer, its perfectly legal to launch rockets, in N Ireland + Rep of Ireland. But clubs/grounps are almost none existant...

Heck I missed a schedualed launch just last weekend. :(

So I will need advice on q shopping cart... Soon.

Well, it's made from metal for a few good* reasons.

It looks awesomely shiny before it's painted.

It won't melt.

It won't explode so easily.

I can re-use parts of it after it's explo- launched.

It needs to be sturdy since there is no planned parachute for the rocket body, it will have a ballistic landing 100% of the time.

Did I mention it looks awesomely shiny?

It's a steel tube with soldered brass fins, which I have no parachute for. The parachute is for the command module, and the command module only. Technically, it's the same rocket as last time, but I stripped all the old paint off. :P

It will be pretty damn lethal, but I have a helmet so everything's good. :S

I hope your hunt for a rocket club goes well, maybe you could start one?

*Okay, bad. But that's not the point.

I'm sure with a little work, some dubious rocket-placing, and a whole lotta luck, those awesome papercrafts could become awesome firewoo- *ahem* rockets!

Nonetheless, those are awesome papercrafts - I think you got them from the same site as the shuttle I did. (I made mine to fly, with a minutely weighted nose. It ended up very battered :S) Very neat gluing and cutting there!

Also, I've worked out a nose-cone system for the rocket.

dsc0534b.th.jpg

The rocket at launch

dsc0535k.th.jpg

The capsule segment, parachute goes inside green tube.

dsc0536mw.th.jpg

The screw-on top for crew access.

It's a hollow plaster-cast nose cone, designed (unintentionally) to shatter in the event of a ballistic landing. But hopefully a parachute will stop all that from happening. The little rim around the top will be sanded smooth eventually, to reduce drag. Soon it'll be stuck together, a parachute made, and painted in the timeless 'NASA Black-and-White' colour scheme. Then a quick trip to the cooking pot for some fuel and a sparkler, and then its 'light it and run' time!

That looks enteresting!

Deffinitly colouful. :) Whats the point in the green section, payload area?

Out of curiosity, will it still be powered by a home made formula? Whats the likely burn time?

PS: If your in England Vostok, mixing our own Formula isn't exactly legal...

I wish you the best.

I myself have been browsing on The Model Rocket Shop.

An spied this lot:

1 x Estes Porta-Pad E for Big Ones

1 x Sky Lofter (solo E2X)

1 x LoadstarII 2 stage, HUGE payload (Assembly Required - Learning curve)

2 x C6-5 Estes Rocket Motors (3 Pack)

2 x C6-0 Estes Rocket Motor (3 Pack)

3 x Quick Match for lighting clusters (2 Launchs)

1 x Firewall Nomex (Fire profing)

2 x None Tangle 20 inch Nylon 'chute (Upgrades)

1 x Gorilla Glue CA Gel 3g tube

£13 Delivery. TOTAL = £110! (OMG Parents shall kill me.)

The idea is to have Two craft, as I will have to travel far, to find suitable launch site's.

One been E2X an the second having assembly required too learn... I plan on building my own in the future, just like computers. (At least rockets arn't Electro-Static sensitive.)

Ample Motors for 6 Flights, an enough protective gear, so they can be retired by xmas an actually be displayable (I Hope).

Has any one got constructive critism regarding my choices, any thing I may have missed out..?

PS: Realy liking vBulletin now.

The green bit is just a plastic tube, for storing the parachute in flight. It has a small separation charge at the bottom under a small plate, which should force the parachute and command pod out of the top.

Yeah, it's meant to be powered by my own mix...

Eek! I should probably go and buy some model rocket motors in that case :S How would I tell what size of motor to use?

I like the look of that Sky lofter, looks pretty nifty. How many times do you get to use the rockets? If you can reuse them indefinitely, I'd say that cost is pretty good. :P

Although, if you're looking for awesome scale rockets, this place I hear does very good kits, far better than Estes scale rockets.

http://www.klydemart.com/

Also, if you read through all the rocket descriptions, they're pretty funny. He also has a few videos of ants in the various model rockets he's made, with astronaut cameras, too! :D

The Estes rockets have an unlimited life span.

I have read posts of experianced Rocketers still sending up 15-20 year old rockets for nostalga reasons.

Now when I say unlimited, thats assuming you dont wreck it...

I can send you links vostok, that I used, to understand the UK laws/Bi-laws we must follow.

As for motor suggestions.

Buy small (A/B/C) an build your rocket to fit them.

Then later on, buy bigger (D/E/F/)

Then massive (G/H)

Beyond that we can only fly Hybrids...

Right Vostok:

Thought I'd give you some links to source's I have found.

Rough Guide (UK Rocket Laws)

http://www.gbnet.net/orgs/staar/legal.html

*Very important to read this. As it stipulates what kind of Rockets are legal in UK / N Ireland (Rep of Ireland, is VERY simular)

-Black Powder Rockets Are Legal.

-Very Large Black Powder Motors, may require Licsence.

-HyBrid Rockets Are Legal.

-Home Made Rocket Mixtures/Formula's Are ILLEGAL.

UK General Information:

http://www.ukrocketman.com/index.shtml

UKRA (Club)

http://www.ukra.org.uk/node

Irish Rocket Society (Club)

http://www.irishrocketry.com/index.php

Any more questions, please ask.

Right Vostok:

Thought I'd give you some links to source's I have found.

Rough Guide (UK Rocket Laws)

http://www.gbnet.net/orgs/staar/legal.html

*Very important to read this. As it stipulates what kind of Rockets are legal in UK / N Ireland (Rep of Ireland, is VERY simular)

-Black Powder Rockets Are Legal.

-Very Large Black Powder Motors, may require Licsence.

-HyBrid Rockets Are Legal.

-Home Made Rocket Mixtures/Formula's Are ILLEGAL.

UK General Information:

http://www.ukrocketman.com/index.shtml

UKRA (Club)

http://www.ukra.org.uk/node

Irish Rocket Society (Club)

http://www.irishrocketry.com/index.php

Any more questions, please ask.

Any chance you could find the Canadian laws regarding launch inside cities?

It's probably best not to post up laws, plausible deniability and all that. "I didn't know officer, i swears" :P

This and the last thread has certainly gotten me interested in rocket shenanigans and i have begun planning a little rocket project of my own! Locustnauts away!

Any chance you could find the Canadian laws regarding launch inside cities?

Screw the laws. I do it all the time. I'll get some pictures for you guys next time around :P

Edit: I'm pretty sure it's fine in big cities, but out of all the places i've launched in, none could really be called cities. I don't see a problem unless your from Montreal. The police there make a fuss over the slightest thing.

Edited by Millst0ne MK II

It's probably best not to post up laws, plausible deniability and all that. "I didn't know officer, i swears" :P

This and the last thread has certainly gotten me interested in rocket shenanigans and i have begun planning a little rocket project of my own! Locustnauts away!

Screw the laws. I do it all the time. I'll get some pictures for you guys next time around :P

Edit: I'm pretty sure it's fine in big cities, but out of all the places i've launched in, none could really be called cities. I don't see a problem unless your from Montreal. The police there make a fuss over the slightest thing.

That is some very immature thinking guys!

Your working with explosives + Plastics; Launching it several hundred feet minimum!

Thats 500+ Grams of Plastics or Cardboard, traveling too 500+ Feet, thats a massive amount of Potential energy...

What if your Parachute fails???

Thats now 500+ Gram Projectile, That WILL Kill some one.

Lets Post Some Laws; So you dont have a reasons for plausible deniability.

I referance Canadian Laws; An they make a great "How To" guide, Read them an use some common sense!

Source: http://www.sunward1.com/govcanada.htm

1) CONSTRUCTION. I will always build my model rocket using only lightweight materials such as paper, wood, plastics or rubber without any metal airframe components. My model shall include aerodynamic surfaces or a mechanism to assure a safe, stable flight.

2) MOTORS. I will only use rocket motors and reloads approved by Natural Resources Canada, Explosives Regulatory Division (NRC/ERD). I will store these motors in a safe and secure manner as described by the manufacturer and NRC/ERD. I will never subject these motors to excessive shock or extremes of temperature. I will not attempt to use, alter, or reload commercial rocket motors, except as instructed by the manufacturer.

3) RECOVERY. My model rocket will always use a recovery system to return it safely to the ground so that my model rocket may be reflown. I shall prepare the recovery system with due care to assure that it will properly deploy.

4) WEIGHT LIMITS. My model rocket will not weigh more than 1500 grams at lift-off, and the model rocket engine(s) will contain no more than 125 grams of propellant and produce no more than 160 N-s combined total-impulse.

5) FIRING SYSTEM. I will always use a remote electrical system to ignite the model rocket engine(s). My firing system will include an ignition switch that returns to "off" when released, and a safety interlock to prevent accidental ignition. I will never leave the safety interlock key in my firing system between launches.

6) LAUNCH SYSTEM. My model rocket will always be launched from a stable platform having a device to initially guide its motion. My launcher will have a jet deflector to prevent motor exhaust from directly contacting the ground. To protect myself and other from eye injury, I will position the launch rod or rail so that the upper end is above eye level, or else I will place a large guard on the upper end between launches.

7) LAUNCH SITE. I will never launch my model rockets near buildings, power lines, into clouds, or become a hazard to aviation. The area immediately around the launch system will be cleared of any flammable materials. I will always obtain the permission of the launch site owner prior to using the launch site for my model rocket activities.

8) LAUNCH CONDITIONS. I will never launch model rockets in high winds or in conditions of low visibility which may impair the observation of my model rocket in flight, or in a direction below 30 degrees from the vertical.

9) LAUNCH SAFETY. I will remain at least 5 metres away from any model about to be launched. I will always announce to persons within the launch site that I am about to launch my model rocket, and I shall give a loud countdown of at least 5 seconds duration. I shall immediately remove the safety interlock key from my firing system after the launch of my model rocket.

10) MISFIRES. In the event of an ignition misfire, I shall not immediately approach my model rocket, but remove the safety interlock key and remain back for a safe period until assured that no ignition will occur.

11) ANIMAL PAYLOADS. I will never endanger live animals by launching them in my model rocket.

12) TARGETS. I will never launch my rocket so that it will fall on, or strike, ground or air targets. Nor will I include any explosive or incendiary payload.

13) HAZARDOUS RECOVERY. I will never attempt to recover my model rocket from a power line, high place, a tree, or other dangerous location.

14) PRE FLIGHT TESTS. Whenever possible, I will always test the stability, operation and reliability of my model rocket designs prior to flight. I will launch unproven designs in complete isolation from other persons.

15) PERSONAL CONDUCT. I will always conduct myself in a responsible manner, conscious that the maintenance of safety for myself and other rests with my ability to design and construct sound working models, and to enthusiastically abide by the CAR Model Rocket Safety Code.

Courtesy Canadian Association of Rocketry - Association Canadienne de Fuséologie

This safety code is up to date and current as of April 2009.

Recently moved to London, and found out that Hamleys sells Estes kits and motors... which is awesome. Definitely gonna go check it out sometime. Possibly next Saturday.

It'd be great to have somewhere I can go to easily get a hold of Model Rocket stuff... The courier delivery on the various websites often costs more than the actual product I want to buy.

Recently moved to London, and found out that Hamleys sells Estes kits and motors... which is awesome. Definitely gonna go check it out sometime. Possibly next Saturday.

It'd be great to have somewhere I can go to easily get a hold of Model Rocket stuff... The courier delivery on the various websites often costs more than the actual product I want to buy.

I eagerly await the delivery guy..

Was shipped yesterday mourning so will be Thursday-Friday.

2 estes rockets.

12 Motors

Launch pad

An lots of odd an ends to get my first missions away.

An yes; £40 Delvery to N Ireland. :(

Disappointed to find out that the manufacture of solid fuel model rocket motors is illegal here, I would have thought they would just put restrictions on the size of them. Definitely going to buy a few though, does anyone know a good site to buy them in the UK?

Edited by Ted

Disappointed to find out that the manufacture of solid fuel model rocket motors is illegal here, I would have thought they would just put restrictions on the size of them. Definitely going to buy a few though, does anyone know a good site to buy them in the UK?

Sadly it is illegal.

But we can all appreciate why, especially members from England/Ireland.

With the troubles the past 100 years.

I ordered from The Model Shop

http://www.modelrockets.co.uk/shop/index.php?osCsid=cc2905f0edb3cb3cbea27e17dec26e85

Great selection of Rockets, an well written product specifications.

All orders with motors are courrior only @ £13 (Mainland England)

+ £25 to N Ireland.

My only annoyance was it was 1 week after ordering they shipped it, apparently very busy with school orders.

An staff response was poor. (I requested to speak with a manager, by phone. Still waiting)

I dont know if I can recommend them, customer service needs improving.

But I may consider more business with them in the future.

Project Developments:

Hi guys, thought I'd update you so far.

Squad has alot to anwser for; A £5 game, an then £200+ on model rockets because of it!!!

Model Rocket Shop Order:

LoadStar 2 (2 Stage Rocket)

Sky Lofter (Apparently 2 Stage Rocket)

2x C6-5 (Decoupler Stage)

2x C6-0 (Booster Stage)

Porta Pad E

Nylon Chute (Upgrade)

Gorilla Glue

Nomex Firewall

- Delieved 8th August.

B&Q:

Hobby Knife Set

Sand Paper

2 Spray Paint cans (Red/White)

Amazon.com:

Jolly Logic Altimeter 2

http://www.jollylogic.com/products/altimetertwo/

Sky Lofter:

I have spent most of Friday mourning building this.

A little precision cutting + glueing, an the rocket is almost ready to launch Today (weather permitting)

The E2X Kit, has made my first rocket very easy to assemble, especially with the plastic fins, pre-moulded an aligned.

My only disappointment, is the Pay Load area, its tiny. I'll struggle to get even the Altimeter2 in there...

As a result, I am going to have to use the supplied, Estes Parachute + Nomex protection, with lack of space. (Big Bulp, in hope it works)

LoadStar 2:

I have only just begun building this rocket.

I have cut out all balsa wood parts, an sanded them, just need spray painting now (Many believe Rockets, should earn there paint, by completeing there mayden flight?)

Also cut out the plastic nosecone, an accoumpanying Payload enclosure. (This area will be perfect for Tiny eggs, or Sand, ample room for the Altimeter2)

Sadly I am stuck now, with this build. I need to find an accurate way of glueing on the six fins.

-I believe this will become my favourite Estes model, I own.

On an experimental note:

I am having a laught standing at the top of the stair case, throwing Parachures an nose cones into the sky, watching them unravel, an deploy feet from the ground. :)

The idea been, to guage how tightly, an the best approach to packing the parachute.

- On a side note: The parents arn't impressed with what I am potentially doing to the good wooden floor.

More too follow soon.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.