KSP Challenge: "Creative emergency escape and re-entry vehicles"

17 hours ago, *MajorTom* said:

again this badge? its looks like "1-2-3...100500 hero of  ... Kerbin " ?

maybe better get @cratercracker badge on this page? Or add some word on it... like "official" . IMHO It is cool and we all can remember the different ones badges.

Just an opinion...

ps: but ok... if many "the same" badges system is remain the same... then if i'm getting old will do many official challenges ... i maybe looks like this... :):):):) 

At first I thought I'd prefer a badge-y version of @cratercracker's custom patches/flags but squeezing a bunch of scaled-down Golden Kerbals into my sig like "kills" on WWII planes ("achieves" ?) would be cool too (and more manageable in my sig, assuming I participate in a lot of these challenges), especially if I link each one back to my entry for the corresponding challenge.

16 hours ago, Badie said:

This badge is for special challenges only :wink:

Ah I see.. Only those KSP players that can make an escape pod and know how to detach it from another vessel can 'earn' one.

But that doesn't really answer my question.

Is the 'Badge' for this 'challenge' the same 'Golden Kerbal' graphic as the 'Golden Kerbal' graphic  in the 'Landing like Elon Does!' challenge?

And now I have to ask, what is it exactly that makes this particular challenge so 'special?'

11 hours ago, Tinty Moce Fowt said:

At first I thought I'd prefer a badge-y version of @cratercracker's custom patches/flags but squeezing a bunch of scaled-down Golden Kerbals into my sig like "kills" on WWII planes ("achieves" ?) would be cool too (and more manageable in my sig, assuming I participate in a lot of these challenges), especially if I link each one back to my entry for the corresponding challenge.

This is actually a really cool idea! I can see later down the road maybe having a special Platinum Kerbal for "Challenge aces" who have earned 5 or 10 golden kerbals... or something to that effect.

3 hours ago, Daveroski said:

And now I have to ask, what is it exactly that makes this particular challenge so 'special?'

I'm not sure what is and isn't considered special, or if she was just referring to it being a weekly. But choosing escape pods for this week was my call, if that's what you mean. I was the one that started the weekly challenge suggestion thread, and a couple days ago @Badie pm'd me and asked my opinion for this week's challenge. I looked over the list and thought @HebaruSan's idea of escape pods looked like it could be fun, so I suggested that one. Just that simple.  

Not necessarily an escape pod, but instead an: ACDC (Anomaly Caused Death Countermeasure)... Because how many times where you on a regular mission, just taken off:

A5FbM9l.jpg

When Jebediah says: I feel we're forgetting something.

And six minutes into the flight it all becomes clear:

m843vVA.jpg

aesHQDE.jpg

Damnit Bill, you forgot to remove the pre-flight explosives again!

Hit the Abort button!

V4GYE80.jpg

ACDC seperates the cockpit from the fuselage by using a seperator, 8 forward facing sepatrons and four upward facing sepatrons to clear the cockpit from the remains of the ship. It also cuts the engines and deploys the airbrakes. Under test circumstances, it works like this:

5NUPoRg.jpg

RTPadma.jpg

0SC48Ci.jpg

ZoZPY1Q.jpg

2u4r0Hx.jpg

It works perfect, the only downside is that there is extreme drag caused by the "seams", which rather hinders an easy ascent procedure... So it's not fitted anymore, because fuel efficiency is more important than crew lives. I mean, what costs a Kerbal to a full tank of fuel?

So it is not realy a pod. But it always served to me as a escape system.

I forgot crew and Motherschip dosent have a crew Module yet

Sry forgot screnschot of departure

Burning fule and leveling out (to early)

Lost engine to impackt!

So conclusion: Everything hapend!

Another day finished like a Kerbal

On 10/05/2017 at 5:18 PM, Badie said:

"Creative emergency escape and re-entry vehicles"

Make an escape pod(s). It can be for a space station, but for those that don't have a working station in orbit, a ship in orbit would count as well.

Well, I only managed one pod....

QHB9az6.png

Directional Monoprop thrusters push the pod away and into an atmospheric trajectory:

IxPXXTq.png

Things get quite toasty on entry, though at least it's stable in a safe orientation at high speed:

jh3DI2t.png

cHUvRub.png

And, a slightly bumpy landing later, those aboard are safe:

E7Khh8F.png

I guess this counts...

Spoiler

xVe53Ok.png

Retrograde burn. How it got up there is not important.

eFdy0i7.png

Turning for re-entry

AfViQs2.png

Hot! But the kerbal is relatively safe

bgqMK7G.png

Glides to landing

Njp6H97.png

Landed! Don't have more pics, but no parachute required.

XKcoN96.png

Look, a kerbal inside! It might actually fit two..

Super simple reentry vehicle. No heat shield or parachutes required! Almost actually like a mini shuttle.

Decided to try a pod that can carry 4 passengers. No chutes. No landing gear. Less than 5.4 T. 

7ZiHCKi.jpg

MemrrwA.jpg

Could be made much lighter with chutes but I'm still enjoying doing this like the last challenge.

--------------------------------------

Okay, here is a lightweight (2.8 T in VAB) 4 man escape pod. 100% stock. Drone core, 4 man crew compartment, docking port jr., 2 chutes, Oscar B, spark, and micro landing struts. No heatshields and no airbrakes.  

pVkw4yJ.jpg

Edited by Red Shirt

A six crew lifeboat

Tc5SsQD.png

NRrdJuA.png

A small fairing that flares out at the top helps to slow the lifeboat in the atmosphere and keep all six Kerbals from cooking.

ZM6bdta.png

It's roomy-ish.

HJTXgCX.png

And the fairing and docking hatch can be blown away after landing for emergency egress.

AztEOU6.png

Edited by HvP

'TRIDENT' EMERGENCY ESCAPE SYSTEM

Cws9Vr4.jpg

Why make it better when you can make it worse?

When one of our scientists got handed data of aircraft crashes in the last 24 hours, he dropped dead on the spot in shock. We're not sure why, although it does say there's been 367 crashes.

This forced the engineers to construct an escape pod for emergency situations where Danny Kerman has the joystick.

Due to the reluctancy of the R&D, having just pushed out a launch of a large satelite an hour ago, it was extremely dumbed down from it's original design.

First tests proved successful, and so it was tested out in space, in emergency conditions.

DSwIm4c.jpg

The pod proved resilient to re-entry heating (oh wait, it was disabled) and continued down into the atmosphere.

npKLvaW.jpg

The aircraft then proceeded to land in the ocean without incident, a successful test.

04Y3Qwa.jpg

(I mean, look at the grin on Valentina's face!)

Edited by Secret Agent Kirrim

Whilst I liked my 'Titanic' entry, this one felt so much more 'kerbal', given that ultimately, you can treat Kerbals similarly to fuel and let them float around:

so4RJ2g.png

8VK2VK2.png

F5vhVuX.png

irOdxf2.png

Strictly speaking, more could fit in there, it's just awkward arranging them...

Just be careful to only use physics warp, or they'll float through the walls.

Edited by 1101

Parachutes are unnecessary because even if the pod explodes, the kerbals are fine (if they are in external seats)

EDIT: this is too unsafe even for kerbals

Edited by colfighter
I had time to think

Wow, so many different and creative solutions of getting Kerbals down, inspirating thread, I love it!

Hope to have a submission tonite, I had to wait until I got an 'Rescue Kerbal contract' :wink: 

Here's my entry- it's a lifting body design to enable some control over the landing site, with parachutes for terminal descent, so a runway isn't necessary. I based it off of the X-38, though it also bears some similarities to some concepts that were considered for returning Gemini spacecraft to Earth.

I have made a delux, 16 kerbal pod that includes.... NO WALLS!!!!!!

If you're wondering what happened to it in the latter parts, I took the pod out of orbit a bit too roughly and most of the airbrakes burned up. I was too lazy to transfer all 16 kerbals to the seats... sorry.

abKupAS.jpg

This is my escape pod system for my stations.  While the actual pods are fairly plain, I like the way the module came together.  The KSS has capacity of 11 Kerbals and this module carries 16 pods for visiting crew and rescue contracts.  Each pod has about 600dV and can reenter fairly aggressively without heatshields.  Once the frame is empty, it is deorbited and a new one is sent up to replace it.

2 hours ago, scottadges said:

It's Saturday 5/13 when I'm posting this. Is it too late to add to the challenge for the badge? (First time participating, not sure the general timeframe).

I have an interesting vehicle/system I'd like to share!

I believe you have until the next challenge is posted. So you should be able to post yours anytime before the end of Tuesday the 16th.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.