JETPACKS!!!

This is a little challenge to design a jetpack, and just see how high up your Kerbal can get to before it runs out of fuel. Also, there will be five requirements, and two optional ones (For extra points);

1: You must not use any mods, stock only please!

2: You must not use the debug menu, HyperEdit, or any other 'cheats'.

3: Your Kerbal MUST survive, so you will have to take a picture of the Kerbal just about to take off, picture(s) of the Kerbal flying the jetpack, and picture(s) of the Kerbal landing safely.

4: The part count must not exceed 15 parts, you are not allowed to build a giant jetpack and just have it in stages so the final bit is 15 or less parts, and the parts are to be 1.25m to 0.625m.

5: You are not allowed to go into orbit, to prevent someone from going around Kerbin in an orbit, coming down again at somewhere else and saying that you flew there all the way from the KSC.

===Optional Requirements===

6:You must land on water

7:You must land, take off again, and fly back to the starting point (presumably the KSC), without refuelling.

Every real-life minute is worth 5 points. Every optional requirement completed is worth 10 points. In total, if you have completed the whole challenge, including the optional requirements, you would have amassed 35 points. Also, 5 points if your jetpack design is the coolest! :cool: 

Edited by The_Cat_In_Space

If I can, I want to give you advice that you should mention the parts/weight limits for this kind of challenge. Not to argue about your parameters, but without mentioning the extent of how far  the limit of one can build their "jetpack", they could just strap mk3 tank with jet engines and circumventing kerbin all day. If your main scoring system is based from flight time, then players can simply build a gigantic-oversized tanks with jet engines and command seat (to be technically called (oversized) jetpack. I can simply grab one of my jumbo jet, turn it vertically, give it landing legs (you didn't mention that. I suggest you do) and I can go airborne all day) and this kind of challenge would quickly devolve into who's able to stay airborne longer than others since eventually, the score of being able to stay 8 minutes longer would make the score obtained exceed the extra score, making it somewhat pointless. My advice is:

- give the scoring based from: least part count, longest distance, and least weight

- add a bonus score for not using parachute, landing legs and airbrakes

- give a limit for maximum size/ weight/ partcount

- give a bigger score for optional challenge

Hope that helps

4 hours ago, sevenperforce said:

Okay, so....I do believe this qualifies.

Flew for a total of about 15 minutes, but 13:05 is the highest value on the screenshot.

Nice, so that would be roughly 13 x 5, which is 75. I am only including the 5 points as you haven't disclosed if you have completed any of the challenges for 10 points. So you are at the top of the leader board!

THE LEADERBOARD (AS OF NOW)

1st place: sevenperforce

2nd place: TBA

3rd place: TBA

Keep sending me those jetpack designs for the chance to win some points! The leaderboard is updated every second day! :cool:

3 hours ago, Capt. Hunt said:

also, it's traditional for the challenger to post proof that they at least attempted the challenge themselves, thus preventing the challenger from just inventing something impossible.

In a lot of cases where something is eminently possible it's not needed. I don't think anyone would argue building a jetpack in KSP is difficult so it's superfluous to this particular challenge.

@The_Cat_In_Space I've played KSP for so long but have never even thought of building a jetpack - May have a crack this weekend :).  Also, might make it more fun to include some optional extras (for points of course).  Maybe:

Change "optional requirements" to Bonus Awards and add some fun categories such as (only examples):

Rubber Ducky - Demonstrate water landing capability - x points
Boomerang - Return to KSC to complete your flight - x points
Precision landing - Land on VAB roof - x points
Tourist visa - Visit any easter egg - x points
Spaceman - Achieve sub orbital trajectory with out of atmosphere flight - x points
Seriously Righteous Bro - Build a jetpack powered by sepatrons - x points
Submariner - your Jetpack can be a submarine too - x points
Under the Bridge - fly under the Skywalk at KSC - x points

and so on and so forth.  Maybe also a shiny jetpack badge :)  Looks like the beginning of a fun challenge to me!

SM

I have a dual-juno powered design, will take it out and fly it around when I'm done with skool. Also, while it is fast and can fly up to around 15,000 m, that uses more fuel. For this challenge's current scoring system it would be better to sit there and idle at minimum throttle to keep you aloft, ironically because that would save fuel. Just a thought.

Edit: @ARS has already made this point but the challenge requirements are still the same so...

Edit 2: NVM I can't show you, my brother got our phones and computers taken away

Edited by LazySoUseHyperedit

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.