[1.3.1] Landing aiming. 10.feb.2018

DennyTX

Ages ago i saw a mod, allowing to see trajectory's prediction in flight scene. But it has been lost.  

Now - it back. Just displays trajectory predictions. Partless, ON/OFF and nothing more. (adds itself with the help of MM-patch to each unit with ModuleCommand). This mod is designed to help with a more accurate landing. If activated in the flight scene, it will draw the trajectory and predict the point of contact.

short review

full review from Kottabos

Download from Spacedock

CKAN-Indexed-brightgreen.svg   SpaceDock-listed-blue.svg    license-CC%20BY--SA-green.svg

DONATE

Source

installation: remove previous version and just extract an archive into Gamedata.

requirements: ModuleManager

Edited by DennyTX
updated for KSP 1.3.1

5 minutes ago, garwel said:

Looks cool! Does it take atmosphere's effects into consideration?

In the demonstration video it looks as if the answer is no. Notice how after he cut engines the point of impact moved a whole bunch until he was over his apogee?

3 hours ago, garwel said:

Looks cool! Does it take atmosphere's effects into consideration?

3 hours ago, Errol said:

In the demonstration video it looks as if the answer is no. Notice how after he cut engines the point of impact moved a whole bunch until he was over his apogee?

each fixedUpdate it redraw trajectory based on data provided by game.

So, if craft's trajectory has been dragged by atmosphere - it should show this.

In that case the landing point and trajectory are based on the current velocity and gravity only. Which means, as far as I know, it can not show the correct landing spot when the craft is influenced by aerodynamic drag / lift on its future flight path.

Interesting non the less.

Edited by DocMop

31 minutes ago, Sampa said:

How well would this work with space planes?

Not well at all unless you're very close to the runway or on the mun. It doesn't take any atmospheric effects into account.
A spaceplane is better suited for Kerbal Flight Indicators.

Don't know if it's been suggested, but I think it would be cool to have the option of only showing up when actually descending, so as your lander orbits Mun, the Aim trajectory doesn't show up until you make your braking/landing burn.

Awesome mod, do you think you could:

a) draw the white cross with always the same size onscreen, so let's say from orbit you'd see a 30 by 30 km big cross, and the closer you come, the shorter it's real size gets, but it stays the same size on the screen.

b) show apoapsis with heigth and time to with a little marker.

Thanks again, really needed something like that, and I also second the idea for trajectory integration.

@DennyTX

Great mod, if it gets on CKAN I'll be making it a recommended mod for some of my mods

Two things:

First the link you have send people directly to the download, bypassing the mod page, so people can't get on the notification list for updates.  You should update the OP with this:

https://spacedock.info/mod/1365/Landing AIM

Second, while I see that you did check off the CKAN box when uploading, it never got in (never even got submitted). Would you like me to add it for you?

Fantastic mod, right on time too since I'm working on a Munbase. However, I'm having a graphical problem with the  white cross, it shows up as one large white square, any idea if this could conflict with mods such as SVE or any others?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.