Could jet engine smoke be optional

YR9bFFh.png

Since we don't have rotors and propellers in stock, we create them ourselves. One popular way is using SAS modules but they have their limits. That's why a lot of people have chosen to build engines using turbines. Currently a stock player has the big problem of the smoke which is ugly, unrealistic and has a negative effect on FPS. So some of use edit out the smoke from the engines. Besides, in most situations vapor trails start to become visible above 6000 meters ASL. And If the smoke were to look like early turbojets using waterinjection, it should be black, not white.

If you head over here, you can see the stock helicopters, turboprop airplanes and other contraptions (even a clock!) that are posted on KerbalX.

I think a lot more people would like to experiment, play or build such engines ... if it wasn't for the smoke.

So my suggestion is a toggle in ModuleEnginesFX, in the form of a button in the action menu to switch smoke on or off.

What do you think,@JPLRepo?

I agree. I made a thread about this once but it sank unnoticed.

Current exhaust particles are horrible. Why not make it the way it was in IL-2?

il21946-23.jpg

I mean these "stall lines" on the tips of the wings except for engine exhaust. And black, of course.

Edited by Veeltch

1 hour ago, Azimech said:

Since we don't have rotors and propellers in stock, we create them ourselves. One popular way is using SAS modules but they have their limits. That's why a lot of people have chosen to build engines using turbines. Currently a stock player has the big problem of the smoke which is ugly, unrealistic and has a negative effect on FPS. So some of use edit out the smoke from the engines. Besides, in most situations vapor trails start to become visible above 6000 meters ASL. And If the smoke were to look like early turbojets using waterinjection, it should be black, not white.

If you head over here, you can see the stock helicopters, turboprop airplanes and other contraptions (even a clock!) that are posted on KerbalX.

I think a lot more people would like to experiment, play or build such engines ... if it wasn't for the smoke.

So my suggestion is a toggle in ModuleEnginesFX, in the form of a button in the action menu to switch smoke on or off.

What do you think,@JPLRepo?

Great idea. You can raise your request on the bug tracker.
However, at this stage of 1.3 there are no commitments.

Just now, JPLRepo said:

Great idea. You can raise your request on the bug tracker.
However, at this stage of 1.3 there are no commitments.

Great, thanks!
Yes, I know 1.3 is too close.

Would just turning the smoke off in ModuleEnginesFX be enough? Maybe to a Module Manager patch or something that removes the setting? Or clone the stock engines used for the rotor and use those?

I accidentally did this when creating RealPlume configs for some modded engines; the sound worked but the engine didn't produce any smoke. I'll have to try to reproduce the mistake; it might have been as simple as commenting out the entire module.

16 minutes ago, Gordon Fecyk said:

Would just turning the smoke off in ModuleEnginesFX be enough? Maybe to a Module Manager patch or something that removes the setting? Or clone the stock engines used for the rotor and use those?

I accidentally did this when creating RealPlume configs for some modded engines; the sound worked but the engine didn't produce any smoke. I'll have to try to reproduce the mistake; it might have been as simple as commenting out the entire module.

Yes, that's how it works. Not everyone likes to use mods or edit config files, that's why a stock option would be great. Especially for console users who can't even edit anything.

Besides that, an option to toggle smoke through the action menu would provide even more flexibilty.

Edited by Azimech

• 5 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.