[CHALLENGE] Create the fastest stock plane you can.

Special Agent Kirrim's...

FASTEST STOCK PLANE CHALLENGE

Yeah, you heard that right. And don't ask why the text is huge.

Challenge is the obvious. Build the fastest stock plane you can, then submit it through pictures.

Just remember, this isn't a race, but the person who builds the fastest plane in the challenge (w/proof) WILL receive Special Agent Kirrim's Manta Ray and a badge.

Mods are not allowed, but some may be excepted.

SSTO engines are allowed.

You may fly up to the mesosphere for the challenge but that is as far.

Level flight only.

Re-entry heating is allowed.

NOTE: Planes that use glitches to help propel itself or help it in general will be disqualified.

This is the format that should be used.

[Name here]

Top Speed = [TopSpeed]

Brief description and/or history = [yknow]

(optional) Engines = [engines used]

Proof = [proof]

(optional) Any extra info = [extra info]

I'll start off with an example. This won't be counted as part of the challenge, but should give you an idea of how it should be done.

Special Agent Kirrim's Manta Ray Assault Fighter [Unarmed]

preview_thumb.png

Top Speed: untested, around 1200+m/s levelled out

Brief description and/or history =

First built by Danny2462 in...2013 I think it was, it has been rebuilt using the latest stock parts, and is potentially the fastest stock spaceplane avaliable. Notably shown in Danny2462's Kirrim on Duty video and the new The Names Kirrim YouTube series. The one demonstrated here is completely unarmed, using stock parts. The one flown in the series has multiple BDArmory weapons mounted on it.

Proof = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIhCrqc4pR4&feature=youtu.be

Extra Info: Save has re-entry heating disabled but can still go up to 1200m/s without many issues.

This challenge will expire on the 20th of May, 2017.

Get crackin'.

Edited by Secret Agent Kirrim

Is there an altitude restriction? Planes hit max speeds at different altitudes. I think you should standardized on an altitude or have it as a stat to report (X Speed @ Y Altitude). Or both: it would give everyone a reference point that can be compared across all craft submitted while letting players see peak performance at ideal conditions for each design.

Also, level(-ish) flight only? Power diving? (True level flight is only doable with an autopilot... Or player with skills and/or a joystick that actually works in KSP...) I'm assuming an entry shouldn't ever leave the atmosphere? (Is there an upper altitude limit? There usually is with these plane-related challenges.)

Any specific same settings as well? You mention no heating effects. (I'm assuming the very least no atmo heating since that creates an upper speed limit that's mostly out of the control of the players.)

Not bashing the idea; just giving you points to think about and consider. Challenges tend to need clearly stated rules/conditions to level the playing field and all that. And so you spend more time judging entries and less time answering questions.

Coincidentally, I was fiddling around on the Flying Pig Mk III the other night -- she's fairly fast, though she ain't agile!

As per this post, her current top speed is Mach 5.2, though she lost some parts about 0.5 seconds after hitting that -- her highest sustained top speed is Mach 4.75 (approximately 1630 m/s):

With a little tweaking, I'm sure she could do a bit more...would like it if she could hold Mach 5+...

-Jn-

Edited by JoeNapalm

The Decade Skipper

Top Speed = 1,466 Meters Per Second

Brief description and/or history = Bill had a challenge where he would design a fast jet in less than 30 minutes... this is what came out.

Engines = 4 whiplashes

Proof =

Edited by colfighter

Pretty well. 

1 minute ago, colfighter said:

How did I do? The link didn't update so click the picture to get all the pictures. I didn't need to have re-entry heating off :D.

Also, what size are you using for the golden kerbal? mine clips through half the signature and doesn't show up.

The golden kerbal naturally is huge so I resized it so it's about 4 lines of text tall.

13 minutes ago, Secret Agent Kirrim said:

Pretty well. 

Also, what size are you using for the golden kerbal? mine clips through half the signature and doesn't show up.

Also, I bet I could make this thing go a bit faster by taking fuel out.

EDIT: double click the picture and make it 100 px tall

Edited by colfighter

I have a new and even faster entry:

The Fletchette

Top Speed = 1,537 Meters Per Second (in the mesosphere)

Brief description and/or history = A plane based on the concept that bigger isn't always better.

Engines = 1 Whiplash

Proof =

I hope no one can beat this :D

Edited by colfighter

11 hours ago, Secret Agent Kirrim said:

Jet engines and SSTO engines are allowed. Rocket engines aren't.

Re-entry heating is now allowed.

Bonus points too  for re-entry heating.

If the sabers are used the fastest anyone can ever go is 1755m/s, at that speed the saber reaches its limit and flames out no matter what you do

edit: this was for a previous challenge 

Everything engine and aero wise is stock 

Edited by Tidus Klein

I thought I had a good entry D: 

8 hours ago, Tidus Klein said:

If the sabers are used the fastest anyone can ever go is 1755m/s, at that speed the saber reaches its limit and flames out no matter what you do

edit: this was for a previous challenge 

Everything engine and aero wise is stock 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.