[1.2.2] Space 1999 Eagle Transporter 3 Pack v1.03

MajorTom69

I decided that leaving Jeb and copilot Dotty stranded in Kerbin orbit wasn't an option, so I attempted to bring them in to the KSC. The re-entry went fine and I was able to get them within a few hundred metres of the center without much hassle, although there was a lot of burn, followed by tumble, then burn again action required to do that.

Then there was the matter of landing the fine craft, which at first was an impossible mess of slow rolls and crashing into the ground followed by an impressive explosion, followed by F9... it wouldn't have look out of place in the intro to the show.

Then I thought "maybe this thing has RCS" and oh yes it did, nice powerful RCS too, that enable me to make a safe, if not totally smooth landing once I'd turned it on.

A few pics of Jeb and Dotty's adventures in landing.

KSC dead ahead.

6ryYHBF.jpg

Looking good.

iUkhlLA.jpg

Looking not so good.

v1eG9OD.jpg

Made it.

2U5AYt6.jpg

Stumbled on this thread from the screenshot thread and it reminded me of an Eagle version done a few years ago, but I can't recall who was working on it at the time. Anyway, back then I made this little graphic for one of the people who was following that thread, thought someone here might like it too:

munbase.jpg

I could probably plop in a graphic of the current KSP Mun as well, didn't think of that back then. Not sure where they got the original image, as it's a bit different than other ones I've seen.

Edited by Dweller_Benthos

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Love the mod, really brings back memories.

my only complaint is that it is too OP for a career game.

so, has anyone made any MM configs which tone down the power of the parts (specifically the engines) for a stock game?

I am currently streaming a GPP game on Sunday evenings, I would love to be able to use this.

Edited by linuxgurugamer

A suggestion for the nuclear engines.

Right now, all four engines are put there as a single point. This can cause problems when thrusting because if there is a heavy cargo the thrust will be offset too much. Why not make the engines individual , I know it's a little extra work to place five engines, but then you can individually turn them on or off to control the thrust.

Basically, you need  a thrust plate  with five (4 for the engines there now plus one in the center so it could only have one engine) nodes, and then a single nuclear engine.

Edited by linuxgurugamer

• 1 month later...
On 27/08/2017 at 3:41 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

Love the mod, really brings back memories.

my only complaint is that it is too OP for a career game.

so, has anyone made any MM configs which tone down the power of the parts (specifically the engines) for a stock game?

I am currently streaming a GPP game on Sunday evenings, I would love to be able to use this.

I guess performance are more in line with the realistic scale overhaul mods, this thing wouldn't be that OP in a real scale world.  I'll try this nonetheless. This plus Warp Drives=FUN !

• 2 months later...

My son bought me KSP for Christmas and I probably haven't come back to the real world since. :-)

The only ship I have used (aside those in the tutorials) is the Eagle - quite a steep learning curve as it is a weighty beast - but I am enjoying it greatly. A massive thank you to those involved in providing it.

I have two variants of mods with additional boosters for horizontal launch on one and vertical on the other. I think I prefer the horizontal as it is tidier and seems less brutal. It is trickier to establish in orbit but I am a nueb.

I have mapped the thrusters in groups to the Custom keys and with the pod VTOL thrusters set to a 10-15% limit they are great for on the Mun.  I have also tuned the outputs on the main structure VTOL s to make it less prone to flip during horizontal launch.

I have a problem though:-

I have two crash sites on the Mun with surviving Kerbals and have successfully landed a third Eagle (well almost I lost a  leg).

My absolute frustration currently is I can't get the Buggy to work. It seems to be stuck in the pod.  I have boarded it, released the node, the wheels turn and brake. I do still need to check their alignment as steering makes the wheels go up and down not steer so am hoping this is the issue? (I noted the red arrow tip in a previous post but haven't implemented it yet).

I also can't seem to get my EVAed Kerbal back in the Command module? :-(

I hope you can confirm it is just my inexperience as I can't see me using any non Eagle based craft for the foreseeable future.

Crash site 1. The Buggy is in the "landed" Eagle over the ridge.

26116468_10154886317321116_2214349312569    

Hi JNS951, im glad you're enjoying the Eagle.

Yes, the buggy wheels must be mounted with the red arrow pointing up in order to work properly.

There is 2 ways to access the command module: 1. accessing the serivce or aft modules and transfering from there to the command module. And 2. you can find an exit hatch on the bottom of the c.m., get close and enter.

Hope this help.

M.T.

14 hours ago, MajorTom69 said:

Yes, the buggy wheels must be mounted with the red arrow pointing up in order to work properly.

There is 2 ways to access the command module: 1. accessing the serivce or aft modules and transfering from there to the command module. And 2. you can find an exit hatch on the bottom of the c.m., get close and enter.

Hope this help.

M.T.

Hi M.T.

Many thanks. I did undertake the wheel arrow fix prior to your post and all was peachy ...except I didn't install another seat so my recovered Kerbal kept falling out.  And I forgot it was the point of focus and it rolled while I wasn't paying attention.

26198443_10154893340606116_8825212628857

And I have all my missing Kerbals and Eagles all together in one place. I have finally got the hang of flying around the Mun without crashing ...well pretty much.  I am sure it would be easier if I wasn't lugging around pods brimmed with additional fuel canisters.

26167729_10154893341856116_7792364970983

Next on the agenda is to add a fuel pipe to the next outbound Eagle so that, hopefully, I can transfer resources with the EVATransfer Mod.  I haven't trialed this yet so not holding my breath.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

here are some additional canisters so you can hold USI resources. one is for stuff like dirt, ore the other for liquids and gases. 

yeah i forget not everyone runs every mod ever made. need Firespitter which you probably already have and modular fuel tanks. not gonna hurt anything not having modular fuel tanks but better if you do. 

if somebody is an artist and can make some new textures for each element that would be great. just pm them between us. and i can add them into the switching so it changes the paint on the can as you switch elements.  

just create a new blank.cfg file and paste the contents into the corresponding file. you can adjust how much the can holds this was just to get it working. 

cannister3.cfg

Spoiler

PART
{
    // --- general parameters ---
    name = Canister_3
    module = Part
    author = MajorTom

// --- asset parameters ---
    MODEL
    {
        model = MT-Eagle/Parts/FuelTank/canister1
    }
    scale = 1
    rescaleFactor = 1

// --- node definitions: Position X, Position Y, Position Z, Up X, Up Y, Up Z
    node_stack_top = 0.0, 1.11523, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0
    node_stack_bottom = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0
    //node_attach = 0.313, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0

// --- editor parameters ---
    TechRequired = advFuelSystems
    entryCost = 3000
    cost = 200
    category = FuelTank
    subcategory = 0
    title = Eagle Nuclear Canister
    manufacturer = Moonbase Alpha Engineering
    description = A small dockable container for USI liquids and gases.

// attachment rules: stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision
    attachRules = 1,1,1,1,0

// --- standard part parameters ---
    mass = 0.0652
    dragModelType = default
    maximum_drag = 0.2
    minimum_drag = 0.3
    angularDrag = 1
    crashTolerance = 10
    breakingForce = 50
    breakingTorque = 50
    maxTemp = 2000 // = 3000
    emissiveConstant = 0.8
    //fuelCrossFeed = False
    bulkheadProfiles = srf, size0
    tags = eagle transporter moonbase alpha major tom 

// internals, resources, effects, modules
    //Resources
        MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleFuelTanks
        volume = 3000
        type = Default
    }
MODULE
    {
        name = FSfuelSwitch
        resourceNames = Karborundum;XenonGas;ArgonGas;LiquidFuel,Oxidizer;Water;Chemicals;Mulch;LqdHydrogen;LiquidFuel;MonoPropellant
        resourceAmounts = 4500;144000;144000;4500,4500;4500;4500;4500;4500;4500;4500
        initialResourceAmounts = 0;0;0;0,0;0;0;0;0;0;0
        tankCost = 1800000;18000;1512;41.31;0.36;7200;0;16.5375;72;108
        basePartMass = 0.05625
        tankMass = 0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0
        hasGUI = true
        showInfo = true
    }
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleDockingNode
        referenceAttachNode = bottom
        nodeTransformName = dockingNode
            //controlTransformName = controlNode
        nodeType = size0, size1
    }
}

cannister2.cfg

Spoiler

PART
{
    // --- general parameters ---
    name = Canister_2
    module = Part
    author = MajorTom

// --- asset parameters ---
    MODEL
    {
        model = MT-Eagle/Parts/FuelTank/canister1
    }
    scale = 1
    rescaleFactor = 1

// --- node definitions: Position X, Position Y, Position Z, Up X, Up Y, Up Z
    node_stack_top = 0.0, 1.11523, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0
    node_stack_bottom = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0
    //node_attach = 0.313, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0

// --- editor parameters ---
    TechRequired = advFuelSystems
    entryCost = 3000
    cost = 200
    category = FuelTank
    subcategory = 0
    title = Eagle Nuclear Canister
    manufacturer = Moonbase Alpha Engineering
    description = A small dockable container for USI materials.

// attachment rules: stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision
    attachRules = 1,1,1,1,0

// --- standard part parameters ---
    mass = 0.0652
    dragModelType = default
    maximum_drag = 0.2
    minimum_drag = 0.3
    angularDrag = 1
    crashTolerance = 10
    breakingForce = 50
    breakingTorque = 50
    maxTemp = 2000 // = 3000
    emissiveConstant = 0.8
    //fuelCrossFeed = False
    bulkheadProfiles = srf, size0
    tags = eagle transporter moonbase alpha major tom 

// internals, resources, effects, modules
    //Resources
        MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleFuelTanks
        volume = 3000
        type = Default
    }
    MODULE
    {
        name = FSfuelSwitch
        resourceNames =MetallicOre;Uraninite;Substrate;Minerals;Karbonite;ExoticMinerals,RareMetals;MaterialKits;Metals;Polymers;Supplies;Ore;Machinery;Recyclables;SpecializedParts;Fertilizer;Hydrates;Gypsum;Dirt;Silicates;Silicon;RefinedExotics;ColonySupplies;Organics;Rock
        resourceAmounts = 2000;2000;2000;2000;2000;2000,2000;2000;2000;2000;2000;2000;2000;2000;2000;2000;2000;2000;2000;2000;2000;2000;2000;2000;2000
        initialResourceAmounts = 0;0;0;0;0;0,0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0
        tankCost = 3520;1400;600;1600;640;300000;4000;28480;16000;5000;8;31600;14000;64000;4000;1000;20;600;20;40;500000;30000;1000;0.02
        basePartMass = 0.0652
        tankMass = 0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0
        hasGUI = true
        showInfo = true
    }
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleDockingNode
        referenceAttachNode = bottom
        nodeTransformName = dockingNode
            //controlTransformName = controlNode
        nodeType = size0, size1
    }
}

if you need help doing this lemme know and ill walk you thru what to do. 

On 1/1/2018 at 1:51 PM, MajorTom69 said:

Hope this help.

M.T.

any way to extend the ramp another half inch or so works great IF you are on smooth level ground. really hard to get the buggy back into the pod after you get it out. 

Edited by COL.R.Neville

• 1 year later...
25 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

Not the same mod

the 1.2.2 mod work pretty well in 1.7.3, it's a little op on stock size kerbol sytem but fine on RO. I edited a little bit the .config for making it less op and easy burnable for my use in stock. I used the eagle mainly for Muun Crew rotation, cargo and mining.

The engine are a little misaligned but manageable.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.