How quickly does your KSP load?

Skylon

1 hour ago, ZooNamedGames said:

It was a gift I got earlier this year :| 

Brand new desktop mind you.

Now you simply must learn the art of finding killer deals on upper-low-end parts. Newegg has the best search filters by far, and good selection, so I have a firefox addon called "hover hound" which compares prices with Amazon and NCIX, and shows price history.

57 minutes ago, Aru said:

Now you simply must learn the art of finding killer deals on upper-low-end parts. Newegg has the best search filters by far, and good selection, so I have a firefox addon called "hover hound" which compares prices with Amazon and NCIX, and shows price history.

I've got a planned laptop I'm eyeballing for the future. 3.5Ghz single core (great for KSP) 8GB of RAM and NVIDIA Graphics. Very nice. Near $1k though.

I don't know much about how to get the best pricing or whatnot but I'm not complaining about that upgrade.

I'm just poor so I can't just jump on the newest hardware. Hoping to get that desktop by the Christmas or sometime the following summer. 

12 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

I've got a planned laptop I'm eyeballing for the future. 3.5Ghz single core (great for KSP) 8GB of RAM and NVIDIA Graphics. Very nice. Near $1k though.

I don't know much about how to get the best pricing or whatnot but I'm not complaining about that upgrade.

I'm just poor so I can't just jump on the newest hardware. Hoping to get that desktop by the Christmas or sometime the following summer. 

It took me a moment to realize you weren't saying it uses a single-core CPU, hah.

On 5/17/2017 at 3:19 PM, MaxwellsDemon said:

On the order of 10-12 minutes.   The shutdown process probably takes about that, too.  

Press ALT+F4. Calm down it won't corrupt anything :P, as long as you are in a pause menu. (that includes being in flight and pressing "Escape", being at space-center and pressing "Escape", unsure about being in the tracking station, R&D, VAB,...)

I wish i could find the thread where the squad dev explains this, but it was months ago. So pressing ALT+F4 is not really a force close(kill task) type of command, it is just a call to close the program...with an attached timer basically so that windows will ask the user after some time, "Listen, this green-men application of yours is not responding buddy...". So do it in a pause menu because there is no writing/reading from savegame files during a pause menu, thus no chance of corruption. 

It could save some time, if there is anything to do on the PC after closing KSP...who am i kidding, we only close KSP for sleep(sometimes):rolleyes:

7 hours ago, Blaarkies said:

Press ALT+F4. Calm down it won't corrupt anything :P, as long as you are in a pause menu. (that includes being in flight and pressing "Escape", being at space-center and pressing "Escape", unsure about being in the tracking station, R&D, VAB,...)

I wish i could find the thread where the squad dev explains this, but it was months ago. So pressing ALT+F4 is not really a force close(kill task) type of command, it is just a call to close the program...with an attached timer basically so that windows will ask the user after some time, "Listen, this green-men application of yours is not responding buddy...". So do it in a pause menu because there is no writing/reading from savegame files during a pause menu, thus no chance of corruption. 

It could save some time, if there is anything to do on the PC after closing KSP...who am i kidding, we only close KSP for sleep(sometimes):rolleyes:

Yeah, that's usually when I'm trying to close down-- either my eyelids are beginning to close on their own, or I'm uncomfortably aware that I'll need to be up early in the morning (usually for work or something trivial like that...)   :D     I'll remember Alt-F4 if I need it; thanks!

Edited by MaxwellsDemon
correction

3-5mins, depending on the need to build the MM cache.

I have 106 mods installed (GameData minus the squad folder is pretty much exactly 2gb), roughly 8k MM patches get applied. The mod collection is a pretty even mix of visual enhancers, part packs, gameplay mods and tools/basic framework (a bit of everything, basically).

Unmodded installs would only take about 10 seconds to load, but since I don't play unmodded anymore, this is a bit irrelevant.

I have an i7 5820k (12core, 3,3GHz by default but overclocked to 4,2GHz), a GTX 980ti, 32gb ram and my KSP is installed on an SSD (don't ask my about the specs of this device)

New RSS/RO/RP-0 install is about 6-7 minutes with the 42000MM patches. Since I always forget some little mod it takes a good time until I get in the joys of utilizing MM Cache. 

SSD isn't an accelerator per se. The differences on my pc between HDD and SSD are insignificant. Correct me if wrong but patching is CPU effort and how fast your RAM is accessed for parts. 

On 5/16/2017 at 8:31 PM, ZooNamedGames said:

Can't wait until I get my new laptop. It's supposed to be 3.5Ghz single core (great for KSP), 8GB RAM, NVIDIA graphics card. It'll be AMAZING.

Compared to my current 1.49GH and 3GB of RAM, blah!

RIp trashtop

My laptop is might as-well be from the space race, so it takes about 15-minutes with about 30 mods. (most are just small tweaks, with very few new parts)

I think that's pretty speedy. I also somehow manage to run the game at a fairly stable 20fps, albeit with low settings.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.