theonegalen

[WIP][1.2.2] Warbird Cockpits! - Vintage KN2 ASET IVA

Posted (edited)

Hello, everyone! For a few months now, I've been working on ASET IVAs for both Squad stock and mod cockpits. Modifying @alexustas's excellent ASET Avionics and ASET Props assets (CC BY-NC-SA 3.0), as well as a couple from @Mallikas's Aviation Cockpits mods (CC BY 4.0), my major focus has been on WW2-styled craft. Almost ready for release is the Vintage Kerbonov KN-2! I've also been working on a P-51 inspired version of the Mk1 Inline Cockpit, and an ASET version of one of the helicopter cockpits from @blackheart612's Airplane Plus mod.

Once I saw that @Sam Hall had updated his fantastic Kerbonov mod for 1.2.x, I knew I had to make a 1940s-style RPM IVA. I always loved the KN-2, and I based my cockpit layout heavily on pictures of DC-3 and C-47 cockpits, both from the 1940s and some modernized ones. For the KN-2, I decided to kitbash autopilot props, as the DC-3 did historically have a gyroscopic autopilot. All the autopilot props are modified versions of ASET props, and require the Pilot Assistant mod to work. The "Vintage" version of the KN-2 does not replace the standard KN-2, but adds a new cockpit using the same model earlier in the tech tree. I plan to make an "Updated" version.

For the bomber controls, you need Firespitter's props folder found here, as well as the most recent firespitter.dll, and for the fire extinguisher (nonfunctional), you need Airplane Plus. All other instruments are included or require the ASET Props and Avionics Packs. Obviously you will need the Kerbonov itself, and Raster Prop Monitor as well.

Warbird Mk1 Inline

Spoiler

The download (v. 0.1-1 BETA) includes the Vintage Kerbonov KN-2 and Warbird Mk1 Inline cockpits, as well as some cfgbashed parts I found useful: a couple of small wing parts useful for WW2 fighter vertical stabilizers, a "medium turbojet" engine based on the P-80 Shooting Star, and an active "Warbird Radiator" based on the old radial intake from pre-Porkjet KSP.

SPACEDOCK DOWNLOAD

Kerbonov Autopilot fix is here: DROPBOX DOWNLOAD. Drop that into your GameData/Galen/WarbirdCockpits/Spaces/Kerbonov folder.

Requirements:

Recommended:

• Kerbonov by Sam Hall. Required for Vintage KN-2.
  • Firespitter (dll and Props folder) by Snjo and RoverDude. Required for Vintage controls in KN-2 cockpit.
  • Airplane Plus by blackheart612, KAX by keptin, and/or SXT Continued by Lack and linuxgurugamer. Because why have Warbird Cockpits without warbird propellers?
  • Speed Unit Changer by Ittito. The readouts on the gauges are in Imperial units (feet and mph rather than meters and m/s), and Speed Unit Changer can make the UI readouts in the same units as well.
Edited by theonegalen
clarify requirements and recommended.

I truly am envious. Maybe I should dedicate a time in the future to try improve my IVAs :P 

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, blackheart612 said:

Maybe I should dedicate a time in the future to try improve my IVAs :P 

I am actually still working on those. The Mk1 Viewer's Cockpit is almost ready, and I just started on the Mk1 Business Cockpit today too.

Edited by theonegalen

I've updated the OP with a WIP release! This includes the Vintage KN-2 and Warbird Mk1 Inline cockpits, as well as a few cfgbashed parts.

I absolutely love exelent IVAs I'll try it tonight when I get my script pre-release 2 and my KSEA landing done

Epic!

SO glad to hear you're taking a crack at the Airplane Plus cockpits! I love those things and having a proper IVA for them (especially the Mustang B/C cockpit) would be fantastic.

Wonderful.

This adds the IVA only, right? One still must have the actual part loades from the original mod, correct?

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Daniel Prates said:

Wonderful.

This adds the IVA only, right? One still must have the actual part loades from the original mod, correct?

That is correct for the Kerbonov. The Warbird Mk1 Inline cockpit is included.

I've updated the OP to make that a little clearer.

Edited by theonegalen

Found a bug, updated the download. Please make sure to delete the old folder completely before installing the new one.

Also, here's some pictures of the Warbird Mk1 Inline Cockpit, already included in the mod. For some reason, when using a female Kerbal, it sets the eye position too low to see over the dash. :huh:

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, theonegalen said:

I've updated the OP with a WIP release! This includes the Vintage KN-2 and Warbird Mk1 Inline cockpits, as well as a few cfgbashed parts.

Oh, you totally did it! YES!!!

I'm drooling already --- 

Bookmark for MUCH later -- after a few dozen victory laps --

Though I'm loathe to suggest covering the brilliant art that is *this* cockpit, I'd love to see some actual analog dials in it as well.

Edited by Beetlecat
much-too-soon-idea-sharing

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, theonegalen said:

That is correct for the Kerbonov. The Warbird Mk1 Inline cockpit is included.

I've updated the OP to make that a little clearer.

Oh cool, the warbird is an entirelly new cockpit! Great!

Edit: consider editing the inugural post to incluse some pics of it. 

Edited by Daniel Prates

What a cool mod! I'll try out it...

Posted (edited)

So I've looked up what a constant speed propeller is and prop RPM and the Manifold Pressure gauges should work, and I realize I've got them backwards. Currently, the Tachometer shows your set throttle setting while the Manifold Pressure shows your effective throttle (or thrust as a percentage of your nominal maximum). The next release will reverse this. Of course, we don't have constant speed propellers modeled in KSP, so the RPM gauge will be somewhat arbitrary, but c'est la vie.

EDIT: I found some more bugs so I've gone ahead and uploaded a fixed version. This also has the changes to the Tachometer and Manifold Pressure gauges.

EDIT 2: Dang it, I messed up the autopilot again. Fix is here: DROPBOX DOWNLOAD. Drop that into your GameData/Galen/WarbirdCockpits/Spaces/Kerbonov folder.

Edited by theonegalen

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, theonegalen said:

The readouts on the gauges are in Imperial units (feet and mph rather than meters and m/s)

Ahem. Could you please pack the original, SI units textures for us lowly continentals? You know, just to avoid the fuss of copying the textures from the original ASET pack one by one and to give some people a chance to just unzip them over the imperial thing with no worries about messing up some configs and be happy.

By the way, this will make all the sense in the world for the KN-2, since this cockpit's original inspiration never saw any imperial scales in its long, long service life :)

Other than that, cool mod, can't wait to try it out!

Edited by TK-313

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, TK-313 said:

Ahem. Could you please pack the original, SI units textures for us lowly continentals? You know, just to avoid the fuss of copying the textures from the original ASET pack one by one and to give some people a chance to just unzip them over the imperial thing with no worries about messing up some configs and be happy.

By the way, this will make all the sense in the world for the KN-2, since this cockpit's original inspiration never saw any imperial scales in its long, long service life :)

Other than that, cool mod, can't wait to try it out!

I considered doing this for myself as well, but it means I'm going to have to maintain two separate mods, and a lot of extra work if I'm going to keep the same functionality and look. I'll look into it, but I'm not going to make any immediate promises. In the meantime, the Airspeed Indicator's striped hand shows the indicated airspeed in m/s.

EDIT: Turns out it's only about 5-6 props I need to change for the Kerbonov, so maybe I can get that done in a few minutes, and see how that goes.

EDIT 2: It certainly looks feasible, I hope to update in the next 24 hours.

Edited by theonegalen

Posted (edited)

I'm sorry to ask, but where's the KN-2 now? In the current download the only relevant file seems to be VintageKN2.cfg, which doesn't do anything to the IVA.

Edited by TK-313

Posted (edited)

Did you download the mod from spacedock? Did you download the requirements as outlined in the OP?

I'll double check the zip file if I can before I have to leave for church this morning.

EDIT: Checked it. It's correct.

Edited by theonegalen

Posted (edited)

I can confirm -- the KN-2 does have the new components. Downloaded from Spacedock + the fix in the OP.

Edit: And these are AMAZING!

Edited by Beetlecat

Nice mod!

But why use the old Mk-1 inline cockpit model for the Mk-1 warbird cockpit?

13 hours ago, Murican_Jeb said:

Nice mod!

But why use the old Mk-1 inline cockpit model for the Mk-1 warbird cockpit?

Mostly so it was visually distinct in the editor. Also, I originally had the idea for this back in 1.0.5, when I was using Yemo's setiCTT mod, which included the old cockpit as an early-tech cockpit. His UnmannedBeforeManned mod, which effectively replaced setiCTT, doesn't include it, but I always liked the idea.

Once I get the Warbird Inline IVA ported over to the Airplane Plus Mk1 Caged Inline cockpit, the Warbird Mk1 Inline using the old model will probably be deprecated.

Posted (edited)

@theonegalen Okay thanks!

Also, could you maybe make a tweakscale patch for the cockpit, or atleast give me the basics on making things tweak-scaleable?

Nvm, I found out the very basic and easy way to do that. You just add a module to the part .cfg

MODULE[TweakScale]  
{
    name = TweakScale  
    type = free  
}

Nvm again, I was wrong. It doesn't work :(

Edited by Murican_Jeb

Posted (edited)

@Murican_Jeb I don't use Tweakscale myself, so I wouldn't know the first thing about it. Sorry.

Edited by theonegalen

So is there anyone out there who speaks fluent aviation Russian who can help me translate the KN-2 and other instruments into Russian for KSP 1.3+?

Posted (edited)

I updated my PartTools, updated Unity, and like an idiot, I didn't back everything up. Now nothing works. I've been troubleshooting it for days. I've rolled back to old PartTools, rolled back to old Unity, and nothing works. I've updated Unity. I've uninstalled and reinstalled seven times. Occasionally, it seems to work for a bit, but then I save and reload, and all I get is NRE spam in Unity. I don't know what to do and I can't think of anything else to do. I haven't lost any data, just either I can't write to cfg, can't get PartTools to open, or have NRE spam from PartTools, or "Cannot load *whatever* - model does not exist" when it very much does exist.

EDIT: I finally got it working! Enjoy this preview.

Edited by theonegalen