[WIP][1.3.1+] Warbird Cockpits! - 0.3PRE - Mk1 Capsule, Mk1 Inline Cockpit, Mk2 Inline Cockpit

0.3PRE released 12/13/2018! 

MEcDSRv.png

A year ago, when @Sam Hall updated his fantastic Kerbonov mod for 1.2.x, I knew I had to make a 1940s-style RPM IVA. I always loved the KN-2, and I based my cockpit layout heavily on pictures of DC-3 and C-47 cockpits, both from the 1940s and some modernized ones. I decided to kitbash autopilot props, as the DC-3 did historically have a gyroscopic autopilot. Thus began my IVA craze.

More Pictures:

Airplane Plus MK1 Supersonic cockpit (X-1):

Spoiler

Pmwx070.jpg

Airplane Plus Mk1 Viewer's Cockpit (Bell 204 / Huey):

Spoiler

ucZlPVg.png

SXT Clyde (insp by Twin Otter / Aero Commander 500):

Spoiler

4pKXYn6.png

SXT Bonny (insp by Piper Cub)

Spoiler

7MA2ioU.png

Kerbonov KN-2 Vintage Cockpit (insp by DC-3, An-2):

Spoiler

yRRJecw.png

Mk1 Inline Warbird Cockpit (insp by P-51):

Spoiler

4S68WNo.png

All the autopilot props are modified versions of ASET props, and require the Pilot Assistant mod to work. The "Vintage" version of the KN-2 does not replace the standard KN-2, but adds a new cockpit using the same model earlier in the tech tree. I plan to make an "Updated" version.

For the bomber controls, you need Firespitter's props folder found here, as well as the most recent firespitter.dll, and for the fire extinguisher (nonfunctional), you need Airplane Plus. All other instruments are included or require the ASET Props and Avionics Packs. Obviously you will need the Kerbonov itself, and Raster Prop Monitor as well.

IMPORTANT NOTE: I play way too much FSX, so these cockpits are meant to be slightly more realistic than most KSP cockpits. The instruments WILL NOT WORK if you do not connect your battery and have electric charge on your vehicle, and various instruments have a chance to give screwy results if you don't turn on the pitot heat.

Changelog:

Spoiler

v. 0.3 PRE

Added Mk1 Pod Cockpit (Pre-revamp version) based on putting Gemini and Apollo instruments into the Mercury cockpit.

Added Mk1 Inline Cockpit based on F-15C Eagle - Beta version, feature complete, SI and US Customary units.

Added Mk2 Inline Cockpit loosely based on SR-71 - Alpha version, almost feature complete, SI units only.

Split Mk2 Crew cabin into two parts, one for spaceplanes and one for airplanes, and added IVAs for each. Parts will be merged into variants next version which will break compatibility with 1.3.1.

v. 0.2.1 BETA

bug fix: previous version had WIP modulemanager cfgs that removed cockpits I was working on.

v. 0.2 BETA

Added SXT Bonny ASET/Warbird IVA based on the Piper Cub - probably final version, SI and US Custiomary units

Added SXT Clyde ASET/Warbird IVA inspired by the DH-6 Twin Otter and Aero Commander 500 - Beta version, feature complete, SI and US Customary units

Added Airplane Plus Mk1 Supersonic Cockpit ASET/Warbird IVA based on the Bell X-1 - Beta version, feature complete, SI and US Customary units

Added Airplane Plus Mk1 Viewer's Cockpit ASET/Warbird IVA inspired mostly by helicopters - Beta version, likely to change, need feedback

Added SI versions of the Vintage Kerbonov and Warbird Mk1 cockpits

*Added kitbashed X-1 rocket engine. Probably underpowered

v. 0.1-1 BETA: 

Vintage Kerbonov KN-2 IVA

Warbird Mk1 Inline IVA,

a couple of small wing parts useful for WW2 fighter vertical stabilizers,

"medium turbojet" engine based on the P-80 Shooting Star,

"Warbird Radiator" based on the old radial intake from pre-Porkjet KSP.

SPACEDOCK DOWNLOAD

If you prefer SI units for your instruments, rename warbirdSI.txt in GameData/Galen/WarbirdCockpits to WarbirdSI.cfg

THIS is a patch to apply the Mk1Pod Retro IVA I made to the Mk1Pod_v2 introduced with KSP 1.6.

Requirements:

Recommended:

• Kerbonov by Sam Hall. Required for Vintage KN-2.
  • Firespitter (dll and Props folder) by Snjo and RoverDude. Required for Vintage controls in KN-2 cockpit.
  • Airplane Plus by blackheart612
  • Near Future Props by Nertea. Adds additional decorative props to Mk2 Inline cockpit and crew cabins.
  • Tiktaalik Dreaming Props by TiktaalikDreaming. Adds additional decorative props to Mk2 Inline cockpit and crew cabins.
  • KAX by keptin and SpannerMonkey
  • SXT Continued by Lack and linuxgurugamer. 
  • Speed Unit Changer by Ittito. The readouts on the gauges are in Imperial units (feet and mph rather than meters and m/s), and Speed Unit Changer can make the UI readouts in the same units as well.

Contains assets from, and derived from, @alexustas's excellent ASET Avionics and ASET Props assets (CC BY-NC-SA 3.0), as well as a couple from @Mallikas's Aviation Cockpits mods (CC BY 4.0). License for my modified assets and configuration files is https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/deed.en

Edited by theonegalen
0.3PRE release

3 minutes ago, blackheart612 said:

Maybe I should dedicate a time in the future to try improve my IVAs :P 

I am actually still working on those. The Mk1 Viewer's Cockpit is almost ready, and I just started on the Mk1 Business Cockpit today too.

Edited by theonegalen

Epic!

SO glad to hear you're taking a crack at the Airplane Plus cockpits! I love those things and having a proper IVA for them (especially the Mustang B/C cockpit) would be fantastic.

4 hours ago, Daniel Prates said:

Wonderful.

This adds the IVA only, right? One still must have the actual part loades from the original mod, correct?

That is correct for the Kerbonov. The Warbird Mk1 Inline cockpit is included.

I've updated the OP to make that a little clearer.

Edited by theonegalen

Found a bug, updated the download. Please make sure to delete the old folder completely before installing the new one.

Also, here's some pictures of the Warbird Mk1 Inline Cockpit, already included in the mod. For some reason, when using a female Kerbal, it sets the eye position too low to see over the dash. :huh:

11 hours ago, theonegalen said:

I've updated the OP with a WIP release! This includes the Vintage KN-2 and Warbird Mk1 Inline cockpits, as well as a few cfgbashed parts.

Oh, you totally did it! YES!!!

I'm drooling already --- 

Bookmark for MUCH later -- after a few dozen victory laps --

Though I'm loathe to suggest covering the brilliant art that is *this* cockpit, I'd love to see some actual analog dials in it as well.

Edited by Beetlecat
much-too-soon-idea-sharing

2 hours ago, theonegalen said:

That is correct for the Kerbonov. The Warbird Mk1 Inline cockpit is included.

I've updated the OP to make that a little clearer.

Oh cool, the warbird is an entirelly new cockpit! Great!

Edit: consider editing the inugural post to incluse some pics of it. 

Edited by Daniel Prates

So I've looked up what a constant speed propeller is and prop RPM and the Manifold Pressure gauges should work, and I realize I've got them backwards. Currently, the Tachometer shows your set throttle setting while the Manifold Pressure shows your effective throttle (or thrust as a percentage of your nominal maximum). The next release will reverse this. Of course, we don't have constant speed propellers modeled in KSP, so the RPM gauge will be somewhat arbitrary, but c'est la vie.

EDIT: I found some more bugs so I've gone ahead and uploaded a fixed version. This also has the changes to the Tachometer and Manifold Pressure gauges.

EDIT 2: Dang it, I messed up the autopilot again. Fix is here: DROPBOX DOWNLOAD. Drop that into your GameData/Galen/WarbirdCockpits/Spaces/Kerbonov folder.

Edited by theonegalen

19 hours ago, theonegalen said:

The readouts on the gauges are in Imperial units (feet and mph rather than meters and m/s)

Ahem. Could you please pack the original, SI units textures for us lowly continentals? You know, just to avoid the fuss of copying the textures from the original ASET pack one by one and to give some people a chance to just unzip them over the imperial thing with no worries about messing up some configs and be happy.

By the way, this will make all the sense in the world for the KN-2, since this cockpit's original inspiration never saw any imperial scales in its long, long service life :)

Other than that, cool mod, can't wait to try it out!

Edited by TK-313

3 hours ago, TK-313 said:

Ahem. Could you please pack the original, SI units textures for us lowly continentals? You know, just to avoid the fuss of copying the textures from the original ASET pack one by one and to give some people a chance to just unzip them over the imperial thing with no worries about messing up some configs and be happy.

By the way, this will make all the sense in the world for the KN-2, since this cockpit's original inspiration never saw any imperial scales in its long, long service life :)

Other than that, cool mod, can't wait to try it out!

I considered doing this for myself as well, but it means I'm going to have to maintain two separate mods, and a lot of extra work if I'm going to keep the same functionality and look. I'll look into it, but I'm not going to make any immediate promises. In the meantime, the Airspeed Indicator's striped hand shows the indicated airspeed in m/s.

EDIT: Turns out it's only about 5-6 props I need to change for the Kerbonov, so maybe I can get that done in a few minutes, and see how that goes.

EDIT 2: It certainly looks feasible, I hope to update in the next 24 hours.

Edited by theonegalen

Did you download the mod from spacedock? Did you download the requirements as outlined in the OP?

I'll double check the zip file if I can before I have to leave for church this morning.

EDIT: Checked it. It's correct.

Edited by theonegalen

13 hours ago, Murican_Jeb said:

Nice mod!

But why use the old Mk-1 inline cockpit model for the Mk-1 warbird cockpit?

Mostly so it was visually distinct in the editor. Also, I originally had the idea for this back in 1.0.5, when I was using Yemo's setiCTT mod, which included the old cockpit as an early-tech cockpit. His UnmannedBeforeManned mod, which effectively replaced setiCTT, doesn't include it, but I always liked the idea.

Once I get the Warbird Inline IVA ported over to the Airplane Plus Mk1 Caged Inline cockpit, the Warbird Mk1 Inline using the old model will probably be deprecated.

@theonegalen Okay thanks!

Also, could you maybe make a tweakscale patch for the cockpit, or atleast give me the basics on making things tweak-scaleable?

Nvm, I found out the very basic and easy way to do that. You just add a module to the part .cfg

MODULE[TweakScale]  
{
    name = TweakScale  
    type = free  
}

Nvm again, I was wrong. It doesn't work :(

Edited by Murican_Jeb

I updated my PartTools, updated Unity, and like an idiot, I didn't back everything up. Now nothing works. I've been troubleshooting it for days. I've rolled back to old PartTools, rolled back to old Unity, and nothing works. I've updated Unity. I've uninstalled and reinstalled seven times. Occasionally, it seems to work for a bit, but then I save and reload, and all I get is NRE spam in Unity. I don't know what to do and I can't think of anything else to do. I haven't lost any data, just either I can't write to cfg, can't get PartTools to open, or have NRE spam from PartTools, or "Cannot load *whatever* - model does not exist" when it very much does exist.

EDIT: I finally got it working! Enjoy this preview.

Edited by theonegalen