[WIP][1.3.1+] Warbird Cockpits! - 0.3PRE - Mk1 Capsule, Mk1 Inline Cockpit, Mk2 Inline Cockpit

6 hours ago, MelancholyFlapper said:

Is there a way to make these compatible with RO? I'd love to use these in my RP-1 campaign.

I don't use realism overhaul, but as far as I know, there shouldn't be any problem using them with RP-1, except that they haven't been placed on that Tech Tree at all. The cockpits themselves should work just fine, but there aren't any radio navigation points set up for RO if you wanted to use those features.

Edited by theonegalen

I might be the only one having this issue, but this mod has removed several IVA's from my game, notably the B-29, the KN-7, the Mk1 Caged Inline Cockpit, an the Mk-1/2 command module (Not to sure, it doesn't seem to work in vanilla...) Just thought I should bring that up, otherwise this is brilliant.

16 hours ago, Sebforce116 said:

I might be the only one having this issue, but this mod has removed several IVA's from my game, notably the B-29, the KN-7, the Mk1 Caged Inline Cockpit, an the Mk-1/2 command module (Not to sure, it doesn't seem to work in vanilla...) Just thought I should bring that up, otherwise this is brilliant.

Ah, shoot. The first three of those are ones that I am still working on, and most likely I forgot to undo the configs that replaced their internals with my modded internals, which aren't included in the download. I haven't touched the Mk 1-2 cockpit, as I am depending on people who want that as a modded cockpit to be using the ASET download.

Oh, also, it's very nice to know that someone other than myself is enjoying these cockpits. :-)

I just got off work, so I will get a fixed version uploaded before I go to bed.

Edited by theonegalen

20 hours ago, SufficientAnonymity said:

Seems to be working pretty well in 1.4.1, bar the texture bugs on monitors that we're already aware of and that need fixing through RPM. On problem I've noticed - the seats seem to be rotated 90o anticlockwise in the Airplane Plus Mk1 Viewer's Cockpit.

Oh right, I edited that model to point forward when I added the ability to adjust the height of seats. That will be fixed in 0.3.

Just in the nick of time at the end of Spring Break, I've finished placing props in the mk2 Inline! There are over 750 of them, almost as much as in the ALCOR itself.

i0o0MZE.png

1jG3VTO.png

48cFveZ.png

IMGUR ALBUM (with descriptions)

It runs a little slow on my computer, depending on how many props are visible at once. But I pretty much run a potato, so I would love to hear how it works on other machines, and whether or not it seems to be CPU or GPU limited.

Edited by theonegalen
Add pics

8 hours ago, theonegalen said:

Just in the nick of time at the end of Spring Break, I've finished placing props in the mk2 Inline! There are over 750 of them, almost as much as in the ALCOR itself.

Wow. That's unbelievable. That's flight simulator-levels of detail. Really excited about the Mk1 inline you posted earlier too (I'm definitely a spaceplane kinda guy).

Will be sure to keep you posted about how it runs on my relatively powerful little Mini-ITX box post release (but it'd be a shame to prune out any props from it if it does run slow).

• 2 weeks later...

Still making progress over here. I finally got my custom MFDs working, so it's just a matter of time before they're ready. Gotta make textures and things. :)

Version 0.3 of the mod will have the Mk1 Command Pod, Mk1 Inline Cockpit and Mk2 Inline Cockpit with fully featured IVAs, and will be the last version of the mod to be developed on 1.3.1 and RPM. Future versions of the mod will be developed with MAS instead as it is both more robust and is actively being developed.

Here's an interesting thing: because MFD dev is annoying and requires, at least for me, a ton of restarts (the good old guess-and-check method), I removed a bunch of part mods from my dev install of 1.3.1 yesterday, to make the cycle quicker.

When I went back into the Mk2 Inline with it's 804 props, the framerate was high and smooth and the clock stayed green! Somehow, lowering RAM usage had the result of making everything run smoothly, at least until I got up to Mach 4 and the aero effects tanked the framerate. I've been playing this game for five years, and always I was told it was the UI and .dll mods that slowed everything down. This is true, but it turns out if you've only got 8GB of RAM, going easy on the part mods will help too.

Edited by theonegalen

On 4/10/2018 at 6:37 AM, theonegalen said:

Here's an interesting thing: because MFD dev is annoying and requires, at least for me, a ton of restarts (the good old guess-and-check method), I removed a bunch of part mods from my dev install of 1.3.1 yesterday, to make the cycle quicker.

Yeah, the part mods are the real killer. It's a shame that the game has to load all assets, and not just do it "to order" when a craft builds/launches. Different trade-offs, I guess.

Maybe it's time for my once-every-many-years computer upgrades. Who's got a great rig for KSP that I can crib from? :wink:

Really looking forward to what you create with MAS- @theonegalen  --and will miss you in 1.4.* for now :(

17 hours ago, Beetlecat said:

Maybe it's time for my once-every-many-years computer upgrades. Who's got a great rig for KSP that I can crib from? :wink:

My little mITX photo-editing box seems to handle it pretty well - i7-7700, 16GB, RX470 - building it now I'd probably go Ryzen 2 rather than Intel though.

Hey @theonegalen -- not a pestering post for the next version -- but a question on the seat position for Val (and other female pilots). She can barely see over the dash on the Bonny! :D

Is it the ASET Mk 1 that has the motorized seat adjustment? I wonder how readily it could be "dropped" into other craft -- maybe even with just an action group toggle? Maybe this sounds like a mod possibility to just shift the camera/kerbal position as a hack/workaround for all cockpits.

Just talking to myself, here. :)

2 minutes ago, Beetlecat said:

Hey @theonegalen -- not a pestering post for the next version -- but a question on the seat position for Val (and other female pilots). She can barely see over the dash on the Bonny! :D

Is it the ASET Mk 1 that has the motorized seat adjustment? I wonder how readily it could be "dropped" into other craft -- maybe even with just an action group toggle? Maybe this sounds like a mod possibility to just shift the camera/kerbal position as a hack/workaround for all cockpits.

Just talking to myself, here. :)

What it requires is an IVA without built in seats so that they can be replaced with adjustable prop seats that can be moved by RPM animations.

The upcoming cockpits all have the adjustable seats. I'm not sure about putting it in the Bonny because it's supposed to be a very simple seat there. I'm thinking maybe an adjustable wheel and a ratcheting sound of some kind to make it old style. Probably do the same with the retro Mk1 Inline and Vintage Kerbonov.

I just launched my first craft with the "Warbird" Mk1 -- and wow, that's a nice set of controls. :D  I think I was conflating it with the SXT Buzzard over on that thread. If we could ever get KAX back, it would be great to copy the prop config to that version of the Mk1 too.

Edited by Beetlecat

On 4/27/2018 at 11:31 PM, Beetlecat said:

I just launched my first craft with the "Warbird" Mk1 -- and wow, that's a nice set of controls. :D  I think I was conflating it with the SXT Buzzard over on that thread. If we could ever get KAX back, it would be great to copy the prop config to that version of the Mk1 too.

Thanks! I highly recommend you use the AirplanePlus X-1 cockpit as well, I'm particularly proud of that one.

Next week is final exam week! I finish the last of my exams Thursday morning, so hopefully I will be able to finish up the stock 1.3.1 cockpits and release them soon!

Edited by theonegalen

12 hours ago, Murican_Jeb said:

Are you able to make multiple kinds of cockpits for one part? Just a question.

It is possible, but it takes a lot longer - it's a multiplication of effort.

This was always part of the plan, but it is definitely on the back burner for now.

I'm trying to remember which one -- but there was a mod that did just that -- it unlocked different "versions" of a single cockpit (the regular Mk-1, I believe) as tech levels -- analog gauges at the start, and almost all MFDs at the high tech level. It did something clever by swapping out the part so you didn't have 3 of the same cockpit.

8 hours ago, Beetlecat said:

I'm trying to remember which one -- but there was a mod that did just that -- it unlocked different "versions" of a single cockpit (the regular Mk-1, I believe) as tech levels -- analog gauges at the start, and almost all MFDs at the high tech level. It did something clever by swapping out the part so you didn't have 3 of the same cockpit.

@MasseFlieger's AeroKerbin Industries. One of my inspirations.

I was hoping to use the stock upgrade function to do the same sort of thing for Warbird Cockpits, using something like Upgrade Editor as a GUI to choose which cockpit to use, but the stock upgrade function won't work with IVAs because the Internal node in the part config isnt actually a PartModule.

6 minutes ago, theonegalen said:

@MasseFlieger's AeroKerbin Industries. One of my inspirations.

I was hoping to use the stock upgrade function to do the same sort of thing for Warbird Cockpits, using something like Upgrade Editor as a GUI to choose which cockpit to use, but the stock upgrade function won't work with IVAs because the Internal node in the part config isnt actually a PartModule.

So many ideas for KSP2 if ever a thing emerges. :)