[WIP][1.3.1+] Warbird Cockpits! - 0.3PRE - Mk1 Capsule, Mk1 Inline Cockpit, Mk2 Inline Cockpit

6 minutes ago, Bottle Rocketeer 500 said:

@theonegalen Can you please make an IVA for the Airplane Plus A320 cockpit?

that would get my vote for next project as well, since I'm using it for my new aircraft and would gladly feature some IVA photos. Will also be using your Mk1 interior eventually but will start with just the stock instruments and build up to yours over some iterations

15 hours ago, Bottle Rocketeer 500 said:

@theonegalen Can you please make an IVA for the Airplane Plus A320 cockpit?

15 hours ago, Drew Kerman said:

that would get my vote for next project as well, since I'm using it for my new aircraft and would gladly feature some IVA photos. Will also be using your Mk1 interior eventually but will start with just the stock instruments and build up to yours over some iterations

I would love to get all the AirplanePlus cockpits done. I do want to get all the stock cockpits taken care of, and the New Mk1 pod and Mk2 are the ones left for that, but then there's the Making History cockpits too. I had originally targeted the APP B-29 cockpit for the 0.3 release, but left it for later. 

All the a320 cockpit photos I see have some pretty major MFD work to do. That might go well with the intended transition to MAS in 0.4. First, however, I want to finish up the MFDs for 0.3. Everything I've released needs polishing, too.

Drew, do you use FAR and AJE? MAS has some pretty great interactivity for engine control if AJE is installed, and I'd love a second perspective on those features.

3 hours ago, theonegalen said:

All the a320 cockpit photos I see have some pretty major MFD work to do. That might go well with the intended transition to MAS in 0.4. First, however, I want to finish up the MFDs for 0.3. Everything I've released needs polishing, too.

actually I was hoping for more analog gauges in line with the rest of your work

3 hours ago, theonegalen said:

Drew, do you use FAR and AJE? MAS has some pretty great interactivity for engine control if AJE is installed, and I'd love a second perspective on those features. 

I do, however I don't actually fly and operate in IVA much. Right now it just serves as better immersion when taking photos. Main issue is I have a LOT of data readout windows open as I screen record for later reference, so not much screen estate to see or operate IVA controls

1 hour ago, Drew Kerman said:

actually I was hoping for more analog gauges in line with the rest of your work

Actually, I prefer a more realistic version with more MFDs and no or very few analog gauges, even though @theonegalen could make a compromise and make two versions, one with more analog gauges and one with less analog gauges.

Edited by Bottle Rocketeer 500

2 minutes ago, Bottle Rocketeer 500 said:

Actually, I prefer a more realistic version with more MFDs and noor very few analog gauges, even though @theonegalen could make a compromise and make two versions, one with more analog gauges and one with less analog gauges.

I'm not asking him to change his mind, I was just saying I figured it would have been more analog. If he wants to do more modern, that's fine. Like I said I don't need functionality - I can place props easily enough the real challenge with IVA works is making them do things

@Drew Kerman @Bottle Rocketeer 500

I personally prefer the analog gauges myself, so I'll probably make that version first, followed by the more-accurate glass cockpit. There is a somewhat accurate RPM / ASET version linked in the OP of the APP thread. It's at least functional.

With 0.4, I plan to develop on KSP 1.5.1, so Electrocutor's plugin that allows IVA to be selected by Part Variant will be supported. I plan to add a second KN-2 variant as well, built for spaceflight with the glass cockpit.

So right now, my plans hopes for 0.4 are:

• Convert ASET gauges to MAS (I will do this as I need them)
  • Mk2 Spaceplane Cockpit (MAS) - Supermodern full glass cockpit - I will probably do this one first.
  • Revamped Mk1 Pod Cockpit (MAS) - Mercury style
  • Mk1-3 Pod IVA (MAS) - Apollo Style (I plan a glass cockpit version of it down the road)
  • APP A320 "Analog" variant (with AJE propeller control integration) and A320 "Accurate" variant (with AJE jet control integration) - MAS
  • Convert Kn-2 to MAS (I intend to convert one or two RPM pods to MAS each release)

Depending on inspiration, I might also get the Mk2 Command Pod from Making History, and a plane of mine that I've been using a lot uses the SXT Stuka cockpit, so I might do that as well.

The good news is that I'm a teacher, so after next Thursday, I'm off work for two weeks.

@theonegalen I know about the one in the A++ thread. I use it right now, just I noticed that in the center, there are fairly useless (at least for me) analog gauges instead of screens and the other stuff isn't as accurate as I would like. Also, can you please make the AJE control integration optional/nonexistent if making it optional is not possible. Also, why is the analog version going to have AJE propeller integration and the accurate version AJE jet integration? Also, the one in the A++ thread is not linked in the OP.

Edited by Bottle Rocketeer 500

7 hours ago, Bottle Rocketeer 500 said:

@theonegalen I know about the one in the A+thread. I use it right now, just I noticed that in the center, there are fairly useless (at least for me) analog gauges instead of screens and the other stuff isn't as accurate as I would like. Also, can you please make the AJE control integration optional/nonexistent if making it optional is not possible. Also, why is the analog version going to have AJE propeller integration and the accurate version AJE jet integration? Also, the one in the A+ thread is not linked in the OP.

1. AJE integration would work like FAR integration in RPM. If you don't have AJE, the props will still be there, just not functional in the same way.

2. The analog cockpit will have propeller controls because I intend to use it with propeller engines.

3. Strange, since I found it by clicking on a link in the OP.

1 hour ago, CERVERUS said:

The best mk1pod IVA ever!

I have a problem,don't work the TV!

You have to add the Camera Part included with raster prop monitor to your ship in the VAB in order to use the camera monitor. The target selection menu should be available all the time.

I'm glad you like the IVA! More coming soon.

Edited by theonegalen

1 hour ago, theonegalen said:

You have to add the Camera Part included with raster prop monitor to your ship in the VAB in order to use the camera monitor. The target selection menu should be available all the time.

I'm glad you like the IVA! More coming soon.

Everything works perfect,i am in love with this IVA!

Congratulations about your amazing work,and thanks you share with us!!!

I know many controls are available based on installed mods (Flaps/spoilers requiring FAR, right?) but I don't recognize this cluster:

Spoiler

E298375D3CB98C3A05072571D71C433D9153587B

Is this reliant on one of the autopilot mods? I have Kramax installed, but it doesn't seem to react to this.

[edit] Whoops! I had the wrong one -- Pilot Assistant, it is. :)  I may wind up keeping both for the automated flight plans that Kramax uses.

Also -- it looks like the "Brake Force" dial in the mk1 inline cockpit is suffering from flickery z-fighting. All other dials and markers seem fine.

Edited by Beetlecat

First thank you for the amazing IVA work. I've just returned to KSP after a couple of years work. Being a masochist I love aviation. I've dl'd your IVA's and there are blank spots in the areas for screens. I'm running 1.5. I believe I'd dl'd the dependencies both rpm, aset's stuff (revised by Moaardv) and the new one by moardv. (apologies I'm flying to the opposite side of Kerbin right now and can't remember the dependency names). On space dock it did say 1.5. Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks again for the amazing work.

On 12/16/2018 at 2:59 PM, Thetaobera said:

First thank you for the amazing IVA work. I've just returned to KSP after a couple of years work. Being a masochist I love aviation. I've dl'd your IVA's and there are blank spots in the areas for screens. I'm running 1.5. I believe I'd dl'd the dependencies both rpm, aset's stuff (revised by Moaardv) and the new one by moardv. (apologies I'm flying to the opposite side of Kerbin right now and can't remember the dependency names). On space dock it did say 1.5. Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks again for the amazing work.

Which cockpits? Can you post a screenshot of the issue? Also, upload a copy of your KSP.log file from the main KSP directory somewhere like Dropbox or Google Docs so I can see it, please.

On 12/16/2018 at 2:14 PM, Beetlecat said:

Whoops! I had the wrong one -- Pilot Assistant, it is. :)  I may wind up keeping both for the automated flight plans that Kramax uses.

Yes, neither RPM nor MAS support Kramax, and MOARdV told me he wasn't going to integrate support in MAS at all because of LGG's mandatory ClickThruBlocker and ToolbarController dependencies. So one of the more "fun" exercises I have in front of me will be to rewrite Kramax functionality in Lua so that I can integrate that into the props directly.  I don't know the first thing about Lua, yet.

Hopefully, that will have the advantage of being able to integrate the stock waypoint system, as well as on-the-fly modification of flight plans, into the cockpits. I hope to have a pretty accurate MPC, at least for the airliner cockpits. I also intend to tie the radio navigation function built into MAS into the MAS autopilot.

I'll see if I can't fix the brake force dial now.

Jeez, I got to get an internet connection at my house so I can put this on github.

Edited by theonegalen

44 minutes ago, theonegalen said:

Yes, neither RPM nor MAS support Kramax, and MOARdV told me he wasn't going to integrate support in MAS at all because of LGG's mandatory ClickThruBlocker and ToolbarController dependencies. So one of the more "fun" exercises I have in front of me will be to rewrite Kramax functionality in Lua so that I can integrate that into the props directly.  I don't know the first thing about Lua, yet.

Hopefully, that will have the advantage of being able to integrate the stock waypoint system, as well as on-the-fly modification of flight plans, into the cockpits. I hope to have a pretty accurate MPC, at least for the airliner cockpits. I also intend to tie the radio navigation function built into MAS into the MAS autopilot.

I'll see if I can't fix the brake force dial now.

Jeez, I got to get an internet connection at my house so I can put this on github.

The radio/navigation controls look so compelling -- I just have no idea what I'm seeing there --yet :)

I don't envy you the task of having to navigate *other* modder's idiosyncrasies, but it sounds like you have some pretty great things in mind. Terrific to hear!

No internet at your home? Sounds like a possible paradise of potentially-fewer-distractions.

I'm considering removing the US Customary (feet, mph, knots) versions of the cockpits. As much as I like them for their real-world accuracy, it basically adds a layer of complexity and extra work I don't think I'd like to do now. Any major objections?

EDIT: I reserve the right to put them back in at a later date.

Edit2: this evening, I went through every single Unity project file and IVA in the pack and made a list of everything that needed to be changed or updatedfor the final 0.3 release. I did some bug fixing, removed four or five in progress cockpits that would not be ready for 0.3, and did some necessary polish work on the Mk1 Inline and APP X-1.

I also decided what I wanted to do wrt the u.s. customary units. I will support older cockpits with us customary units, like the Vintage Kerbonov and Retro Mk1 Inline. Anything that is expected to go into space will have instruments based on SI, mostly because I'm used to thinking in meters per second when it comes to actual spaceflight in Kerbal Space Program. This also means that I won't have to do a whole lot of calculation to remake the MAS MFDs. 

Edited by theonegalen

On 12/17/2018 at 6:56 PM, theonegalen said:

Which cockpits? Can you post a screenshot of the issue? Also, upload a copy of your KSP.log file from the main KSP directory somewhere like Dropbox or Google Docs so I can see it, please.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/n3nd9uuv0mhxdx9/AACiIcO1LI4ZH6wKkxLn-nIDa?dl=0

Log and screenshots. The screenshots are upside down and backwards, which is a new error that occurs only in KSP, even with that you can see few props are present. I also added a screen shot of a cockpit from airplane + to make sure it wasn't specific to the warbird MK1 inline. The exterior shot demonstrates that the flag on the plane is not showing up. The props in the MK1 command module appear and work fine.

2 hours ago, Thetaobera said:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/n3nd9uuv0mhxdx9/AACiIcO1LI4ZH6wKkxLn-nIDa?dl=0

Log and screenshots. The screenshots are upside down and backwards, which is a new error that occurs only in KSP, even with that you can see few props are present. I also added a screen shot of a cockpit from airplane + to make sure it wasn't specific to the warbird MK1 inline. The exterior shot demonstrates that the flag on the plane is not showing up. The props in the MK1 command module appear and work fine.

I'm only getting errors trying to download any of those files.

EDIT: it was a problem with my wifi at work. I've got them now. Why is the log in RTF? For the future, I prefer the original .log format, please.

EDIT2: On first glance, you have two very old versions of Modulemanager in your Gamedata directory. Delete those and replace them with 3.1.1, which is the newest released version for 1.5. I'll keep looking for errors, but that's the first thing you should do.

Edited by theonegalen

14 minutes ago, Thetaobera said:

Sorry, first time copying a log.

No problem. The .log format is basically just a text file that loads easily in notepad++.

Besides what I said above about updating modulemanager, I think you may be missing a dependency. There are two ASET mods that provide models and textures. One is ASET Props, the other is ASET Avionics. The instruments that depend on ASET Avionics are coming up as "model does not exist" in your log, so I think you need to download and install ASET Avionics.

Find it here:

Edited by theonegalen

• 4 weeks later...

Say @theonegalen, are you planning on ever doing a high-tech Kn-2, or just the retro spin-off like the warbird Mk-1?

I'm rebuilding my mod ecosystem for pods/cockpits, and rediscovered/fixed a somewhat tricked-out Kn-2 with modern ASET bits circa 2015 or so (video here) if you or other Kn-2 fans want to keep tabs on that:

Seems like I've reached an age with this game (and personal age) where I'm following the same paths of digging up old pods and configurations every couple years. Not sure if it's funny or sad... ;)