[WIP][1.3.1+] Warbird Cockpits! - 0.3PRE - Mk1 Capsule, Mk1 Inline Cockpit, Mk2 Inline Cockpit

• 5 months later...
On 4/14/2021 at 6:17 PM, stagnantlamp said:

Hey, I downloaded this mod recently in the hopes that i'd be able to get that F-15C inline cockpit. So i downloaded it but was left with the old cockpit and this other blank one. Can anybody help me figure this out? 

What other mods do you have installed? Anything that changes cockpits?

Try an install with nothing but this, RPM, ASET Avionics and ASET Props. See if that works.

Edited by theonegalen

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2021 at 11:47 PM, theonegalen said:

Try an install with nothing but this, RPM, ASET Avionics and ASET Props. See if that works.

When I initially installed it I had lots (and i mean way to many) mods installed. So i've tried just these mods only and i got most of it working (i'm just missing the center gimbal and altimeter instruments). Thank you for the help.

Here's a screenshot of the cockpit i see with the instruments missing: https://imgur.com/gallery/jGR0L0q

Edited by stagnantlamp
found more things missing from the cockpit IVA

On 4/22/2021 at 11:47 PM, theonegalen said:

Thanks for the help, got most of it working now. However my cockpit is missing a couple of instruments like the gimbal and altimeter. Could i be missing a dependency or something perhaps?

P.S. sorry about double post, can't delete them.

Edited by stagnantlamp

On 5/7/2021 at 10:12 PM, stagnantlamp said:

When I initially installed it I had lots (and i mean way to many) mods installed. So i've tried just these mods only and i got most of it working (i'm just missing the center gimbal and altimeter instruments). Thank you for the help.

Here's a screenshot of the cockpit i see with the instruments missing: https://imgur.com/gallery/jGR0L0q

Try to add also this:

Generally it's needed for a lot of reworked cockpits using ASETavionics / ASETprops

On 5/7/2021 at 3:12 PM, stagnantlamp said:

It looks to me like Warbird Cockpits isn't installed quite correctly. I tried a couple of different things to see if I could reproduce the picture you posted, but I could not. Even with nothing but ASET Avionics, ASET Props, JSI, Warbird Cockpits, and the stock Squad folder, everything worked. What do you have installed besides those five?

Make sure it's in [Your KSP Folder]/GameData/Galen/WarbirdCockpits, not just [Your KSP Folder]/GameData/WarbirdCockpits

Make sure you have both ASET_Avionics and ASET_Props

MAS shouldn't be necessary.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello. I have made some improvements to the Mk1 Inline Cockpit, SI edition. It is available here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tk31h32dijiv8hv/internalIASET_SI.cfg?dl=0

PLEASE NOTE that there are actually two redundant versions of internalIASET_SI.cfg in the present version of Warbirds. The first one is located at <~GameData\Galen\WarbirdCockpits\Spaces\Squad> and the second one is located at <~\GameData\Galen\WarbirdCockpits\Spaces\Squad\InlineCockpits>. ModuleManager only uses one of them. I believe that this redundancy was an error made while packaging the mod. The one located in the InlineCockpits directory was worse as it had a random floating RasterPropMonitor MFD off to the right-hand side, as well as a redundant altimeter, a lacking turn coordinator, a lacking mach indicator, and a very flickery brake force selector knob. I therefore worked on the one located extraneously in the Squad directory and rejected the one located in the InlineCockpits directory.

TO INSTALL this config, please delete the extraneous internalIASET_SI.cfg located at <~\GameData\Galen\WarbirdCockpits\Spaces\Squad> or re-name it by adding a .txt extension. Then go into <~\GameData\Galen\WarbirdCockpits\Spaces\Squad\InlineCockpits> and replace internalIASET_SI.cfg with this new version, perhaps renaming the old one with a .txt extension as a backup.

---

This is what I CHANGED:

Problem 1: There was a redundant Limited Thrust indicator light that was floating far to the left of the cockpit, as well as a floating bolt and a floating screw.

Solution 1: Removed those random floating objects.

Problem 2: There is no Abort button/switch in the cockpit.

Solution 2: I added an Abort button to the left of the SAS On/Of button on the main console. I used the button instead of the toggle switch because the toggle switch ironically did not hold its state. For example, if you set your RAPIER engine state to the Abort action group and then clicked on the Abort toggle switch in the cockpit, the RAPIER engines would toggle to the closed-cycle mode only for as long as you held down the click, but then it would go back to air-breathing. So I opted for the button, as this worked as expected.

Problem 3: There was a redundant RCS toggle switch on the right-hand side of the cockpit.

Solution 3: Removed this switch, which made room for an AVAS button.

Problem 4: There is no AVAS system in the SI-edition cockpit.

Solution 4: I added an AVAS button, an AVAS indicator light, and the gpws10 prop which does the annunciation. Unfortunately, the AVAS switch used in the non-SI Warbird cockpit cannot be used in the SI cockpit, as it is associated with a custom Warbird config file for the switch and the gpws10_WB annunciator; these both use FEET and not meters. I did not want to create another custom prop .cfg file, as this would increase the complexity of fixing this cockpit, and I doubt that I could do a good job at it anyway. ASET Props includes a special toggle switch for toggling AVAS, but it has this huge ugly label on top of it. Therefore I resorted to the default ASET Prop button.

Problem 5: The old version gave an INITIALIZATION ERROR upon exiting the cabin and re-entering. I believe that this was caused by the random floating objects from Problem 1, which were far outside the normal bounds of the IVA. This annoying error is now fixed, at any rate.

---

@theonegalen, I hope that you enjoy this improved Mk1 Inline Cockpit (SI edition) config file and I submit it for inclusion in a future version of this mod if you think it's good. Please don't get rid of the full-featured MFD in favor of the limited CRT as used in the non-SI version, as this would prevent the IVA from being  used on spaceplanes and thus would severely limit the IVA's utility. Just imagine that it's 1980 and they just invented MFDs but could only afford to install one.

Also, by the way, there is a random floating screw (v3) floating far outside of the cockpit for the imperial-units-version of the IVA, on line 1386 of the internalIASET.cfg file. You should remove it in future versions of your mod.

@610yesnolovely I'm pinging you with the hopes that you'll check out this config file, as you are a connoisseur and a scholar on such matters.

Edited by minkar81002

12 hours ago, minkar81002 said:

*bunch of cool stuff here*

Thanks for the update.

I intend for the next version of WC to dispense with all the custom variables and work in SI through MAS, if I'm able to get to it this summer.

Also do you think you could add a heading indicator to the Mk1 Command pod? It's pretty difficult to launch into a specific inclination just using the FDAI, as one starts a rocket launch pointing at the zenith, whereas the heading markers are on the equator of the "eight-ball".  Real-life rockets didn't need a heading indicator because the rocket launch is/was done by computer, but we humans kind of need to know where we're going if we're flying these things manually. The trouble is that I don't think that ASET Props has an analog heading gauge, and the heading gauge from ASET Avionics would look a little funny with the airplane icon on it. However, ASET Props does have the capability to display the heading on a digital indicator, with DigitalIndicator_Heading. I'm thinking that maybe the whole IMP module could be moved upwards a little bit, and the heading indicator could go right above the FDAI.

I guess that theoretically the Angle Indicator (used for phase/ejection angle) could be modified to create a custom version that displays heading, but this is well beyond my capabilities.

Edited by minkar81002

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/5/2022 at 9:00 PM, minkar81002 said:

This is what I CHANGED:

Problem 2: There is no Abort button/switch in the cockpit.

Solution 2: I added an Abort button to the left of the SAS On/Of button on the main console. I used the button instead of the toggle switch because the toggle switch ironically did not hold its state. For example, if you set your RAPIER engine state to the Abort action group and then clicked on the Abort toggle switch in the cockpit, the RAPIER engines would toggle to the closed-cycle mode only for as long as you held down the click, but then it would go back to air-breathing. So I opted for the button, as this worked as expected.

The abort action group is triggered by the ejection handle in between the Kerbal's legs.

EDIT: I spent several hours updating the Mk1inline cockpit to MAS tonight. Testing indicates that not all of the MAS props work as expected, so I will have to troubleshoot that on... Tuesday, probably.

Edited by theonegalen

18 hours ago, theonegalen said:

The abort action group is triggered by the ejection handle in between the Kerbal's legs.

EDIT: I spent several hours updating the Mk1inline cockpit to MAS tonight. Testing indicates that not all of the MAS props work as expected, so I will have to troubleshoot that on... Tuesday, probably.

That handle wasn't working for me. Maybe collision boxes are smaller or messed up with different graphics settings, or something like that.

• 5 months later...
On 11/24/2022 at 7:10 AM, begynnelse said:

I just wanted to thank you for sharing your work - the Mk1 inline is the perfect fit for my  1950s/1960s inspired jets, and the Airplane Plus supersonic now has me wanting to use that part much more!

Thank you so much! One day, I hope to continue the project, when I have time!

• 1 month later...
On 12/30/2022 at 12:46 PM, 610yesnolovely said:

Love these IVA, it's the icing on the cake...

screenshot44.png?width=1906&height=1072

Nice to see another TrackIR user out there! Please tell me you posted the plane on Kerbal-X, I'd love to fly this. Nice showcase of KSC in RSS, BTW!

• 7 months later...
2 hours ago, JonnyOThan said:

Hey @theonegalen would you mind if I adopted this?  There’s some great IVAs in here, and it’s a shame they’re not marked for the latest versions of KSP.

Sure. I've been little by little working on it over the last several years, as time and mental health / enthusiasm allow. I most recently have been replacing my customized props (set up to require power / flip out when pitot heat isn't on / etc) with MAS-enabled props, as well as moving the whole mod out of the Galen/WarbirdCockpits folder into a GameData level WarbirdCockpits folder. If you want the last 100% working version, it's the 0.3a version on Spacedock but the github is updated (as of today) with the most "recent" changes.

Edited by theonegalen

10 minutes ago, theonegalen said:

Sure. I've been little by little working on it over the last several years, as time and mental health / enthusiasm allow. I most recently have been replacing my customized props (set up to require power / flip out when pitot heat isn't on / etc) with MAS-enabled props, as well as moving the whole mod out of the Galen/WarbirdCockpits folder into a GameData level WarbirdCockpits folder. If you want the last 100% working version, it's the 0.3a version on Spacedock but the github is updated (as of today) with the most "recent" changes.

Awesome!  Would you rather I make a new fork?  Or you could add me as a collaborator on github and spacedock and I can just keep updating the current repos.  That would probably be easier if you think you'll keep poking at it occasionally.

I'd also like to get it onto CKAN as long as you're not opposed to that.

On 8/26/2023 at 1:19 PM, JonnyOThan said:

Awesome!  Would you rather I make a new fork?  Or you could add me as a collaborator on github and spacedock and I can just keep updating the current repos.  That would probably be easier if you think you'll keep poking at it occasionally.

I'd also like to get it onto CKAN as long as you're not opposed to that.

Unless I added the wrong person, I have added you as a collaborator to both. I also clicked "Request Addition to CKAN" on the spacedock page. The last time I tried to do something tricky with CKAN, setting up recommended mods for Unkerballed Start, I messed it up.

Edited by theonegalen

15 hours ago, theonegalen said:

Unless I added the wrong person, I have added you as a collaborator to both. I also clicked "Request Addition to CKAN" on the spacedock page. The last time I tried to do something tricky with CKAN, setting up recommended mods for Unkerballed Start, I messed it up.

All set!  Btw what do you want to do with the Flags folder that was in the spacedock release?  It's not on github - should I add it?  And what's the best way to communicate with you about stuff like that?

10 hours ago, JonnyOThan said:

All set!  Btw what do you want to do with the Flags folder that was in the spacedock release?  It's not on github - should I add it?  And what's the best way to communicate with you about stuff like that?

The flags folder just has some flags I made for myself. I don't think I really meant it to be included originally. Communication is probably best through messages on here. I just have to remember to open KSP forums.

• 2 weeks later...

Just found and watched this video of youtuber @kurgut playing a full mission in the Mk2 Inline IVA! So gratifying to see someone using the instrument layout as intended. A couple of bugs too, mostly related to the fact that RPM and MAS don't store cockpit data in the persistent file. Some camera clipping too that I don't remember from the last time I used the cockpit. I always wanted to make a clickable "focus camera on the lower CRT display" collider in this thing but don't think I ever did. Also, the CRT setting switch doesn't line up properly between front and back and I never figured out why.

Edited by theonegalen