Mod Licencing Options

Hi All,

What are the options for licences and which is 'Best'?

Also if the Mod is based on a Film, Series or sum such (e.g. Star Trek, Star Wars, Mass Effect, Halo etc...) what are the conditions or requirements? and as most Mods are made for the love of the game is it even a consideration?

As noted in other posts I'm new to Modding and would appreciate any help/pointing in the right direction

Edited by Pretorian28715

A license is you telling the world what they may do with your work.  Can they make an identical copy and give it to someone else (for example, putting it on a download site)?  Can they make an improved copy after you've decided to quit updating it?  Can they add to it?  Can they sell it?  Do they have to give you credit if re-using it?

As for your second question - if you create something based on someone else's work, then you run the risk of copyright or trademark infringement  This has nothing to do with your license selection.  Your license is what you want other people to do with your work.  You must respect the license of other people's works too.  "All rights reserved" is the default for creative works, and the most common license for major commercial works like films, meaning you can't copy it or make improved versions, except within the limited scope of fair use.

https://choosealicense.com/

Moving to Add-on Discussions.  (Add-on Releases is for threads announcing actual mods being released-- i.e. each published mod has a thread in Add-on Releases.  This isn't that.)  :wink:

3 hours ago, Pretorian28715 said:

What are the options for licences and which is 'Best'?

No license is best, that's up to you, it's a purely personal decision. Anyone who tells you otherwise is trying to sell you dogma. SpannerMonkey posted a great guide to help with the decision.

One thing to note, however, is that Creative Commons (CC) licenses do not cover code in the manner that other licences do, so it is best to dual-license if you have both code and assets.

3 hours ago, Pretorian28715 said:

Also if the Mod is based on a Film, Series or sum such (e.g. Star Trek, Star Wars, Mass Effect, Halo etc...) what are the conditions or requirements? and as most Mods are made for the love of the game is it even a consideration?

Depends. Usually it falls under "fair use" and so long as you're not trying to make money off other's IP it's okay.

@Snark I did mention I was new, didn't I???? but thanks never really sure where to put the questions. However this may well end I the release of a Kopernicus based System.

12 hours ago, Snark said:

Moving to Add-on Discussions

Secondly, what on earth is your profile image, I'm sure you've been asked this before but I have not stumbled across the answer yet?

to everyone else thanks for the information/advice this is gonna help a lot.

Edited by Pretorian28715

7 hours ago, Pretorian28715 said:

Secondly, what on earth is your profile image, I'm sure you've been asked this before but I have not stumbled across the answer yet?

That's a Tardigrade, aka 'Water Bear' - known for being able to go into a hibernation state where they can survive pretty much anything, including direct exposure to outer space.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.