KSP Challenge: Taking the scenic route!

Hats off to those who have already done this. As I suspected getting to space is easy. Not sending Jeb to the third star on the right and on to tomorrow, yeah, not as easy. I'll get this. I hear Major Tom to ground control playing in the background. I miss you NavBall - words I never thought I would utter.

19 minutes ago, Red Shirt said:

Hats off to those who have already done this. As I suspected getting to space is easy. Not sending Jeb to the third star on the right and on to tomorrow, yeah, not as easy. I'll get this. I hear Major Tom to ground control playing in the background. I miss you NavBall - words I never thought I would utter.

I drive fly to fast...
Under a full moon
Save the best to last
Under a full moon
And pray you don't crash
Under a full moon
When the head's to far out of whack
Step back, step back

And the hope of the world
Rides with one man (Jeb)
Everybody crying
On the telephone ringing
We hold our breath, we spin around the world
You and me cling to the outside of the earth
Under a full moon

Will you hold my camera
Will you press release
Will you capture me
As the lights go down
I feel the world go round, feel the world go round

"Between stars"

Spoiler

4:13 Achieving Polar Orbit          Ps. Camera flip to Orbital Mode is your best friend up there

Whoaa... Had so much fun with this challenge! I thought IVA/Hud/Map/Any readings was prohibited so that's why i did it in normal flight mode with very minimalistic 1.25m mk1 rocket. Just like some others said already, getting space is pretty easy but circularization burn without sending Jeb all the way up to Mun took some practice :D For my biggest surprise i noticed how accurate you can go for polar orbits just eyeballing your path. I did this + couple test flights before and all ended up +/- ~0.5° from 90°inclination. Ps. Camera flip to Orbital Mode is your best friend up there

4:13 Achieving Polar Orbit

Edited by Murdox

I'm going to demonstrate how easy my new Eve Ascent Vehicle is to fly by doing this challenge on Eve! Instead of landing afterwards, I'm going to land it in advance.

Edited by Physics Student

This was a very interesting challenge, thank you! I've decided to do a run in the S5 Arrow, an SSTO capable of 400km orbits. Unlike rockets this thing has to land on a runway, so that'll be an extra challenge to do without quicksaving and -loading.

Some exerpts of the trip:

xvpcgwj.jpg
The cockpit

9Ore8la.jpg
Ascending to space

Jir2rs1.jpg
And we're orbiting!

IgGtPfl.jpg
The view

H2oYi43.jpg
Descending, for a guess as to where I had to perform the retroburn (based on the map view in the cockpit) I have it almost spot on.

qnmPBM3.jpg
BUUUURRN

oWdBr3p.jpg
Do you see that white stripe on the right? Yes? Well, we're overshooting the runway at 1500 m/s.

MBqr4xY.jpg
Using one of the parked aircraft as a target, the distance to cross turned out to be 100+ km, here we see the runway as we're closing in to land.

iuopelr.jpg
Parked! Running on fumes, too: 7,5% fuel.

The entire album:

Edited by Adelaar

My entry. as promised, I did it on Eve. 

For this mission, it makes much more sense to land the vehicle first and then ascent from Eve instead of doing it the other way around.

My vehicle is especially designed to be easy to fly. This challenge was perfect to prove that.

You can get the craft-file here, If you want to have a go wit it.

j0WG1wG.png
o0mL9Yo.pngXtzVgm7.png
aN0SwOq.pngQrpEZmV.png

Full album:

https://imgur.com/a/QYngq

Edited by Physics Student

Just like Murdox I tried the 'keep it simple' aproach, and built an MK1 with a bit of extra DV
1k0.jpg

On the Launchpad
1k0.jpg

And off goes Valentina
1k0.jpg
1k0.jpg
1k0.jpg
1k0.jpg
1k0.jpg

Jeeze, she's high up...
1k0.jpg

Retroburn
1k0.jpg

Ditched the rocket, going down
1k0.jpg

Ouch..........
1k0.jpg

2nd try :)
1k0.jpg
1k0.jpg
1k0.jpg
*^@$HDYRAD AAAARGGGHHHH!!!!!  :huh:

Maybe a heatshield isn't that a bad idea :D 
Third time's a charm
1k0.jpg

1k0.jpg
1k0.jpg
Please don't hit them mountains...
1k0.jpg
1k0.jpg
Disco!
1k0.jpg

She made it! Sorry babe, ain't doing that to you again. :wink:

Edited by LoSBoL

12 minutes ago, Adelaar said:

@LoSBoL, your screenshots are beautifully edited in!

Thank you Adelaar :)   Shots haven't been edited though, Just some visual mods and KSP running on a cheap multi monitor setup of a 24" main monitor flanked by 2 17" monitors.
I'm thinking about writing a tutorial on how I did this since KSP loves to run super widescreen and second hand smaller monitors are easy and cheap to get a hold off these days. A half descent graphicscard and desk space is all that is needed.

This... was... hard! No IVA. No Map View. No Overlay. Just sheer determination. Took several tries to get the feel for it. 

LqxoCEV.jpg

Album included (I notice once again imgur duplicated some pics and put them out of order - sorry don't know how to fix it):

Circularizing is the hardest part of the challenge. I burned all my fuel before making orbit on my first several attempts.

I made this quite basic rocket, and made the entire ascent, orbit, and descent without the HUD and in IVA only (as the original post did not mention IVA, I considered this to be within the challenge).

Sadly OBS-studio decided it was best to record without audio, so this raw footage is without sound...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.