Badie

KSP Challenge: Taking the scenic route!

Recommended Posts

Badie    1440

ekf6HTEZncUmmBJcwpTodh8lnjLozaPsrsekQorm


 

Check out the amazing and creative entries of last week challenge!

 

This week we have another theme for you: "Taking the scenic route"

Launch a craft to orbit with the overlay turned off and no map view, optional a polar orbit AND OF COURSE LAND!
Share your screenshots, videos or images. We want you to have fun and share it with the whole community!
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ILikeIke    46

@Badie

what do you mean by "overlay"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LoSBoL    328
6 minutes ago, ILikeIke said:

@Badie

what do you mean by "overlay"?

Press 'F2' before you hit the spacebar on the lauchpad, don't touch 'F2' or 'M' again. Use the Force ILikeIke :wink: 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
StrandedonEarth    2002

Interesting challenge. The first trick will be knowing when you've  made orbit, although flying the same launch profile with a known booster should make that easy enough. The bigger trick will be making a good re-entry, although I guess that won't be too hard if you want to play safe and don't mind bleeding off speed for a few loops. Can we turn re-entry heating off?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just Jim    8319

Oh, this is interesting! I have an SSTO I know can make orbit... but I've never tried it without an overlay... I'm going to have to try this one later.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Red Shirt    653

Hmmmm, Getting to space should be kind of easy (famous last words). Reentry I believe I can handle. I think the hardest part will be achieving something resembling circularization. As long as Pe is above 70k who cares if Ap passes the dark side of Mun? Time to find my Pink Floyd CD. Probably need to load up Space Oddity too because you know, Red Shirt....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
V7 Aerospace    337
1 hour ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Interesting challenge. The first trick will be knowing when you've  made orbit, although flying the same launch profile with a known booster should make that easy enough. The bigger trick will be making a good re-entry, although I guess that won't be too hard if you want to play safe and don't mind bleeding off speed for a few loops. Can we turn re-entry heating off?

Well, the camera switching to "orbit" mode should come in real handy for anyone trying this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DeltaDizzy    659

Can I use MechJeb? Never Mind, just a thought. I won't. Yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
basila    8

" and no map view" - i did so in 0.8.3 :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DeltaDizzy    659

Oh, shoot, I wasn't here until 0.23!:P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just Jim    8319

Hmmm... I've tried it 3 times so far in an SSTO I know works, and managed to botch it each time... lol. I can do it in IVA, but with no HUD at all is really tricky... I'll try again tomorrow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just Jim    8319

I'm curious about IVA in general.. @Badie, is IVA view allowed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
luizopiloto    1570

I did it using stock IVA a bunch of times... But it have navball, altimeter, speedometer and vertical speed indicator... The same info the overlay have... ಠ__ಠ
 And someone can use Telemachus or kOS or kRPC to trick ppl  1.0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Shadow Wolf56    169

May try this tonight...

i also have EVE installed so it will look nice...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
*MajorTom*    173
6 hours ago, V7 Aerospace said:

Well, the camera switching to "orbit" mode should come in real handy for anyone trying this.

Very good idea, after this i think best wait  1.5, 2 min and then ... circularization burn into horizon...for 5 to 20 sec (depends on isp)...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
qzgy    1758

Well this wasn't too hard

Spoiler

NSLmmsK.png

Launch

P6CgI7q.png

Kinda follows an r-7 esque shape, the craft (creatively named Untitled Spacecraft) accelerates up.

VMifOTc.png

Booster Ditch! Really hard to prevent myself from F2-F1, as I have muscle memory now for that...

TCFCp5I.png

Core stage goes on a bit further...

gteYUKY.png

Hullcam ish shot. Ditched soon afterwards for...

FAZOgUn.png

Circularization. I just guessed on this one.

Spoiler

To actually judge altitude (Above 70km, I just used the timewarp feaure :D)

VOozhgO.png

Somewhere in orbit

m1g70Pc.png

De-orbit burn. Kinda random ,boosted until the camera changed

XLtz9Ii.png

Trying to slow down more, but there's atmosphere. Also ditched that SM kinda module

l8xl4P7.png

Falling again.

bOzTaoe.png

Chute deployed

hHV9Dxu.png

Now completely deployed and slowing down

miedB0h.png

I was trying to burn to slow down a bit, but stuff still exploded

IVSvoo8.png

Capsule survived though - Success!

Would I do it again - not planning to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Skylon    511
Posted (edited)

Extra challenge: Land near Nick Kerman's home and 'see nick'. Then rescue him and bring all kerbals home!

Edited by Skylon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lo Var Lachland    1039

RASTER PROP MONITER!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PrathamK    6
Posted (edited)

Its actually easy well, The craft will burn, and then will music start, and burn till cameras turn, rotate to orbital view, wrap to check orbit, Burn till cameras switch again, and re-enter (above ocean) for correct altitude for parachutes, use crafts shadows, for accurate approximate values.

Pretty easy, will try, but my Imgur is broken, I don't know how to record. Will try now.

11 minutes ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

RASTER PROP MONITER!

Good choice, is it allowed, nothing about it.

Edited by PrathamK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kerbinorbiter    294
6 hours ago, luizopiloto said:

And someone can use Telemachus or kOS or kRPC to trick ppl  1.0

I use KOS 100% of the time but I can set it to the boot directory 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LoSBoL    328
25 minutes ago, PrathamK said:

Its actually easy well, [SNIP]

 

Ah man, you should have put that behind a spoiler allert :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I will assist @Badiehere and explain the challenge a bit further.

The idea is to get to a stable orbit and land again without any form of readouts.

- Turn the overlay / HUD off (F2) before you launch your craft

- No IVA

- No mods that give readouts or controll the craft

 

Note:

Just because the camera flips to Orbital mode doesn't mean you are already in orbit. But you are close!

 

You might ask "But how can I tell if I'm above 70km and in orbit?"

- Above 70km you can accelerate time more than 4x

- Timewarp around the planet once to confirm you are in orbit.

- If the game stops your Timewarp you are not in a stable orbit and have reentered the atmosphere.

 

Good luck everybody and don't forget to enjoy the view!!!!!

 

Edited by million_lights

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PrathamK    6
15 minutes ago, million_lights said:

I will assist @Badiehere and explain the challenge a bit further.

The idea is to get to a stable orbit and land again without any form of readouts.

- Turn the overlay / HUD off (F2) before you launch your craft

- No IVA

- No mods that give readouts or controll the craft

 

Note:

Just because the camera flips to Orbital mode doesn't mean you are already in orbit. But you are close!

 

You might ask "But how can I tell if I'm above 70km and in orbit?"

- Above 70km you can accelerate time more than 4x

- Timewarp around the planet once to confirm you are in orbit.

- If the game stops your Timewarp you are not in a stable orbit and have reentered the atmosphere.

 

Good luck everybody and don't forget to enjoy the view!!!!!

 

This is what makes the challenge easy. Camera and time wrap and even background music.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now