Old stuff thread

NSEP

So this thread is about anything old you have stumbled upon or own. I dont own alot of stuff that i would call "old". But do you? Anyways, here is some past life nostalgia for you!

Interesting topic!

I got some rarities due to my dad who was a diver in the French Navy then in the National Gendarmerie, he got the occasion to recover a cryptographic rotor machine on a sunk ship of the U.S Navy out of the coast of Normandy. It's in a perfect state and is working.

A lot of onboard lanterns too and many other things I can't remember now.

But what I got the most interest of has been found by my grandfather who, also in the Gendarmerie, was sent on the 3 June 1973 at Goussainvile to the crash site of the Tupolev Tu-144S. It's something with Turkish 981 he never talked us about... but he kept an ashtray of the Soviet supersonic airliners : 

qAWCkLM.jpg

I placed it just over the pedestal of the model. This one was placed inside a seat armrest of the first class. Impressively it was not too damaged by the impact or the fire. 

A 41 year ols mini-atlas, still has the Soviet Union, Split up Germany and Yugoslavia in there!

jhr0zcy.jpg

And some of my baby shoes (pen for scale)

tY2m5rd.jpg

Edited by NSEP

21 hours ago, V7 Aerospace said:

I've got some 80s Microcomputers. I'll need to get photos though.

I do also. In fact, I have quite a few in the attic ... 9 at last count. I have no pictures of them either. Maybe one of these days I'll have to do that, take pictures. They all still work and boot... or at least they did the last time I checked them out. Aside from this laptop (which I use most) and my linux box, I have 6 other machines laying around the house collecting dust and they all still work too.

Other old stuff would be coins and stamps. I get a kick out of the stamp collection, as I have stamps from countries which no longer exist.

6 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

My family owned a suitcase with a mission sticker from an old NASA flight (50th Atlas Centaur) but it got moldy and we had to take it out to the garage. :(

If it's still there I'm going to try and save that sticker!

#savethesticker !

On 5/19/2017 at 0:50 AM, NSEP said:

A 41 year ols mini-atlas, still has the Soviet Union, Split up Germany and Yugoslavia in there!

I just checked my globe, and it appears your atlas is accurate.

On 5/19/2017 at 9:12 AM, Green Baron said:

Shoe-last celt, neolithic, so rather young so to say :-)

I need to go dig out my box of fossils...

I think i can tell how i came to that thing without being sued for keeping an artefact that legally should belong to the community. I mean, it is a ubiquitious early/mid neolithic tool in the area, no new insight can be expected from it, the museums are full. Even the material (amphibolite) is just what someone would imagine if the word "Schuhleistenkeil" fell. Germans are great in connecting otherwise unconnected nouns to wordmonsters. And it's a nice story :-)

It was during an excavation of older stuff (late ice-age, magdelenien) on an open field somewhere in Germany. The site was in danger of being totally eroded because of intense agriculture. It was known since years that a collection of late ice age stone artefacts existed there because after ploughing or a heavy rain new artefacts were recovered by the farmer and brought to the local museum. So it was expected that it was a place where a group of late ice-age hunters rested for a while to repair their equipment.

A retired catholic priest, a hobby pre-historian who visited the small village museum saw the artefacts on display and, for fear that the place would be gone after two or three more seasons of ploughing but knowing that the officials would not find the time(*) and have the money to perform a thorough excavation called one of his friends, a professor of pre-history but without any budget. That is usually the case in archaeology if its not about mummies or dinos :-)

That professor then immediately gathered a crew of 5 to 6 eager volunteers and two or three of his students and off we went during summer holidays (which are long in Germany !) and made a nice hole in the ground. And indeed we could reconstruct the remains of a small field camp of hunters, that might have been on the way back from a hunting trip to the north and were heading south were larger camps are known to have existed at the time.

It was on a monday morning when i was early at the site that a local stepped up to me and gave me "a stone i found on friday night when i returned from the pub". He couldn't tell me where exactly that thing had been, but he said that it was partly covered with a black dark mass that he had scrubbed off. It is these cases that a friendly archaeologist suppresses his anger and rage about the fact that somebody has removed a piece from its context and eliminated the traces of workmanship (in this case probably the birch-tar of the fitting), sends a friendly smile to the nice contemporary who surely only had good thoughts in his mind (and probably a whole lot of C2H6O in his blood) and thanks him heartily for helping science out.

I asked in the museum the other day and they told me that a neolithic settlement had existed farther up on the hill but all traces had eroded. So the piece was just washed down from there. The was no more space in the vitrine (it literally was a single room village museum) so the lady just waved her hand and murmured something like "keep it if you like, thanks for volunteering anyway". So i toddled off ...

(*)Much manpower and all of the sparse budget was bound in rescue excavations along with the construction of high speed railroad tracks and motorways at the time. You know, 10 billions for high speed tracks but not even 5000,- for an excavation with volunteers, that sort of ... oh, politics, nevermind :-)

Edit: just realised that i must say this just to calm my bad conscience. If you ever find an artefact, leave it where it is. Do not pick it up, clean it, or move it. If you feel like you should you can inform someone and they can see whether it is a new site or something that is already in the files.

Edited by Green Baron
H be gone

11 minutes ago, Green Baron said:

I think i can tell how i came to that thing...

I was kind of wondering how you happened to have such an item.  Having a story to go along with it is nice.  Thank you for sharing it.

I remember one of my uncle who worked at the CNES then the ESA from the 70's to this year got an important number of different launches recordings. He is the one who gives me a part of passion as a kid with his cassettes at a time of the ESA was not diffusing its different flights to the public. I just got Ariane 1 flight number 3 and an Ariane 44L from the end of the 90's in a box at the family house and he got all the rest.

19 minutes ago, tater said:

This ^^^ is 72 years old this July 16th from a few hours south of my house:

Whoaaa, Trinitite. I don't know what I would give to come to this Historical site and grab an example of it.

They apparently scraped off the top couple of meters of soil in the area (fenced in) where they allow visitors and buried it elsewhere. It churned up the soil quite a bit, and there are some chunks (my piece is about thumbnail sized) mixed into the soil---it didn't hurt that we brought a Geiger counter with us when we went. Didn't feel bad about taking some when the surface is not pristine, anyway, and is new dirt added back to the site.

It's open the first Saturday inApril (March?) and October each year. A friend has a sheet about the size of a small dinner plate---when he was stationed at Bliss, they flew up there and landed outside the visitor area were there is a lot more of it and he liberated some.

Edited by tater

5 hours ago, tater said:

trinny.jpg

This ^^^ is 72 years old this July 16th from a few hours south of my house:

Trinity_Test_Fireball_16ms.jpg

Trinity! History is written there!

By the way, a few minutes west from my house.

6765110325025055.jpg

Go and walk for a few minutes more to the west and...

hith-Woolly_mammoth.jpg

Edited by NSEP

9 hours ago, stibbons said:

This refurbished Yashica-A was a gift from a friend. Made in 1959, shoots 120 film. I don't take it out very often, but it's in great shape and takes really lovely photos.

Ha! I remember those! They take great pictures. They were popular in portrait studios, along with other 'names' like Hasselblad. I have an old Kodak box, which still works, and an 8mm 'Revere' movie camera, which also still works. I also have the 8mm 'Revere' projector; It still works also, but it's tired so you have to turn up the motor speed (via a dial on the back) to attain normal speed in motion... I have an ongoing project with it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.