Auto-adjusting landing gear?

PanzerAce

A year or so ago there was a mod that had a couple of different landing gear sizes that could be installed in any orientation on the fuselage of the spaceplane, and the wheels would angle themselves to be flat on the runway. I don't know if it was part of another mod pack or not, but I can't seem to find it. Wondering if anyone knows of something like this :o

37 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

No it's not, it's been rolled into Kerbal Foundries

That makes it dead.  Just cause they took it and bundled it with a bunch of BS sci-fi nonsense from Tony Stark, doesn't mean ALG is still here.  And they dumped everything together so you can't figure out how to delete all that crap.

I still hope someone someday can revive ALG.

Edited by Alshain

18 hours ago, PanzerAce said:

Yeah, ALG was it. And I really don't want to have all that extra stuff from foundries :/

Guess I'll go without.

Or you can just download and unpack KerbalFoundries, open the Parts folder inside it and delete every .cfg file which name doesn't start with "ALG-". Just did that* because I have zero interest in parts that are unrealistic even for Stock KSP standards of realism. It's not dead in the strictest sense. There is simply nobody interested in maintaining it and distributing it exclusively as of now. forking the ALG from KerbalFoundries to focus on it exclusively and distribute it as a standalone isn't forbidden by its license.

*Edit: Also kept the adjustable wheels and tracks.

Edited by NotTheRealRMS

On 05/19/17 at 4:39 PM, NotTheRealRMS said:

Or you can just download and unpack KerbalFoundries, open the Parts folder inside it and delete every .cfg file which name doesn't start with "ALG-". Just did that* because I have zero interest in parts that are unrealistic even for Stock KSP standards of realism. It's not dead in the strictest sense. There is simply nobody interested in maintaining it and distributing it exclusively as of now. forking the ALG from KerbalFoundries to focus on it exclusively and distribute it as a standalone isn't forbidden by its license.

*Edit: Also kept the adjustable wheels and tracks.

That doesnt remove other resources which load anyway.  I've been unable to separate ALG from Kerbal Foundaries without breaking the ALG.

5 minutes ago, Alshain said:

That doesnt remove other resources which load anyway.  I've been unable to separate ALG from Kerbal Foundaries without breaking the ALG.

As noted, it's because the original ALG code was never ported to 1.1.x+. The current ALG is base on KF code (which I think ported over some ALG features to facilitate functionality), the KSPWheel API.

However, it's just like any other set of parts: delete the parts you don't want (texture assets might be a bit harder; there are named ALG textures, but I don't know off-hand if there are any shared assets with other part) and keep the KSPWheel DLL.

Granted, it's not as responsive in the editor as the original ALG (which I think was based off FireSpitter?), but I think a lot of the issues stems from the inherent changes made to KSP itself. (Or my install has too much crap in it *shrug*)

Still, for someone to adopt ALG and split it off once more would mean porting the 1.0.5-era code and modify the models to work with current standards. Unless someone thinks they can (and will) do a better job than KF has so far, I believe players are just happy to even have it available and working now. (ALG was in limbo for a LONG time; I consider it an essential part mod.)

If ALG didn't need model edits and was just pure coding issues, I'd BEG linuxgurugamer to adopt somehow, but that's not the case (and he has A LOT on his plate with KSP mods as it is anyway.)

On 5/22/2017 at 9:23 PM, Alshain said:

@StahnAileron Well I don't see that as being available and working.  I see it as dead.  I haven't built a serious plane since 1.0.5 because of the lack of ALG and I will continue that trend since it is dead.

I do find it interesting that you refuse to use a mod because of *two* parts that you could remove from it.  (I'm assuming the parts you have issue with are the antigravity pads - if you have problems with other parts I'm confused.)

2 minutes ago, DStaal said:

I do find it interesting that you refuse to use a mod because of *two* parts that you could remove from it.  (I'm assuming the parts you have issue with are the antigravity pads - if you have problems with other parts I'm confused.)

I would find that interesting too if, like you, I hadn't read the thread... or even 3 comments back.

Edited by Alshain

5 minutes ago, Alshain said:

I would find that interesting too if, like you, I hadn't read the thread... or even 3 comments back.

I've read that.  Still didn't understand your objection.  Wanting to learn. :wink: 

Just now, DStaal said:

I've read that.  Still didn't understand your objection.  Wanting to learn. :wink: 

I don't know how else to describe it.  Every time I've tried to delete the other parts, I must have deleted some dependency but the parts break or don't appear in the game.  I can't figure out what file it was I deleted that broke the parts.

6 hours ago, DStaal said:

There's actually something like 21 parts in there that are unwanted if all you're looking for is ALG.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.