pole

Papahemmy

12 hours ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Is it structurally stable? Can you climb it? 

Actually, if you can build that side ways and interlock with others like it, then I have a job for you.

Are you thinking what I think you're thinking?

Actually, if you can build that side ways and interlock with others like it, then I have a job for you.

14 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

Are you thinking what I think you're thinking?

Monorail? 

Only 68.7 km to go!

@fourfa For radio towers, you'll want to try for ~50m tall at four points 25km away from the pole to get yourself constant contact with a reflector on the mün and each other.  Those are reasonably stable.  If you do get over 350m tall, then a single tower on the terrain seam at the exact pole should get you line of sight to the mün.

On the ice cap, probes with omnis should be spaced 12.5km apart to run a landline to the nearest mountain relay.

http://imagemodserver.duckdns.org/nick/postedimages/KSP_RadioTowerMk1.png

Be sure to make the relay probe on top of the tower a separate vehicle so that it has an altitude of ~80m.  The tower itself counts as being on the ice cap at 32m, but the independent probe sitting in the cup on top gains the benefit of the tower height.

Combine with the simple air-dropped mountaintop relays, and that can get your signal across booster bay.

KSP_RadioTowerMk1Linked.png

If you want to build a radio tower on lowlands, the unevenness of the terrain will kill a lot of plans.  I suggest bringing some launch clamps in the max sized KAS containers to stabilize your construction at regular intervals.

But mostly, you're best off just bombing mountain peaks.  There's almost always one in sight from anywhere on Kerbin.

I'm trying to bridge the large ocean to the east of KSC on Gael in Galileo's Planet Pack.  I have mountaintop relays on either side, and there's a small island near the middle that might gain line of sight with a tall enough tower.

Otherwise I have to chain all the way to the pole and back down again.  Which is doable if I have to.

IMO, the chain to the pole is its own reward :)

A single ground level dish on both the poles can get LoS to any body in the Kerbol system except mün (ironically because it is too close).  The LoS cones from the north and south poles merge into an omniscient bubble before reaching the orbit of Minmus.

@ZooNamedGames @TheEpicSquared

Actually I was thinking, a long, horizontal beam, with connectors on both ends right? Join many of therm together, end to end, along the equator. Little bit of jiggery-pokery to squish a few extra beams in to increase the radius, give it a bit of a kick and put it into orbit around Kerbin. Double points if you spin it fast enough to generate a mild artificial gravity on its inner surface.

Am I anywhere close? Is that even possible in KSP, whaddya reckon?

26 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

Actually I was thinking, a long, horizontal beam, with connectors on both ends right? Join many of therm together, end to end, along the equator. Little bit of jiggery-pokery to squish a few extra beams in to increase the radius, give it a bit of a kick and put it into orbit around Kerbin. Double points if you spin it fast enough to generate a mild artificial gravity on its inner surface.

This probably isn't possible due to the physics simulation distances that KSP crafts are limited by. Nice idea though, it's sort of be like a giant ring station.

BD Armory increases the physics distance, but not nearly enough to make this type of structure possible (I believe that's how @Stratzenblitz75 made his 34km stock monorail). Maybe there are some other mods out there? 

1 hour ago, p1t1o said:

I was assuming small bridges that have multiple crafts interlock across the gap so you don't need one 3km long but two 1.5km long segments.

But if we are talking mods; then let's make a bridge to the island runway! Go big or go home!

4 hours ago, tater said:

Only 68.7 km to go!

My goal isn't Space.

On 5/18/2017 at 11:14 PM, ZooNamedGames said:

until the day the I can hook it on to the kraken, no.

also pic

84N5nfUcodysbaGkhzhLZEE67iGaQ7SqHWo-ZkKVcdTNZdw9BE2svPRzIhghRAkvsUtVaXXZi2Rvf25ubjLxTmQNMXdEcC4_rshV1Q6yOveZfpFU2n7opalLco1Gt60-JL_hNeRB

Cool!

Makes me think of a space elevator....has anyone ever created a space elevator in KSP? ...probably not due to program limitations since ships or constructs beyond 2.4 KM are unloaded...so never mind on the space elevator.  Thought the music would be grand!  

Just wondering. :)

Edited by Red Stapler

On 5/19/2017 at 1:20 PM, suicidejunkie said:

IMO, the chain to the pole is its own reward :)

A single ground level dish on both the poles can get LoS to any body in the Kerbol system except mün (ironically because it is too close).  The LoS cones from the north and south poles merge into an omniscient bubble before reaching the orbit of Minmus.

Seriously?

Doesn't Kerbol block that, part of the time?

Do you need a local satnet to bounce it back to KSC?

I was about to launch a couple of relays into highly elliptical polar orbits...

-Jn-

Eclipses, transits and being on the far side of the body are local issues which would be a problem regardless of the Kerbin-side arrangements.

Most of which can be solved with polar relays as well.  Moho would make a great if expensive relay site since its orbital wonkiness will almost entirely eliminate the eclipses and transits.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.