[1.8.x] Oh Scrap!- A ScrapYard based Part Failure and Reliability Mod 2.0.1 (07/12/2019)

severedsolo

Apologies for the quietness lately. I'd like to give a good reason, but to be frank: it's very hot here at the moment, and sitting in front of my PC is a chore, because my house is like a greenhouse.

Can somebody please provide me with some (stock) craft files from 1.3.5 so I can test the issue with the pre-release not updating the failure rates.

On 7/9/2018 at 7:24 AM, Nnimrod said:

Can I use this to give individual parts unique failure propensities?

That depends on what you are trying to do.

If you are trying to make all "Terrier" engines have a 20% failure rate, and all other engines a 10% for example - no, that can't be done.

If you want your parts to all have different failure rates based on how much they have been used - yes this mod does that.

10 hours ago, severedsolo said:

That depends on what you are trying to do.

If you are trying to make all "Terrier" engines have a 20% failure rate, and all other engines a 10% for example - no, that can't be done.

If you want your parts to all have different failure rates based on how much they have been used - yes this mod does that.

darn. Yes I want different models to have different failure rates.

How do I open the .dll and look at it? I don't know what I'm doing yet.

43 minutes ago, Nnimrod said:

How do I open the .dll and look at it? I don't know what I'm doing yet.

You don't open the DLL. You download the source, edit the source and compile it into a DLL.

(you CAN decompile a DLL, which is the closest I can think of to 'open the dll', but that isn't what you want to do)

https://github.com/severedsolo/OhScrap

Edited by Starwaster

28 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

You don't open the DLL. You download the source, edit the source and compile it into a DLL.

(you CAN decompile a DLL, which is the closest I can think of to 'open the dll', but that isn't what you want to do)

https://github.com/severedsolo/OhScrap

Ah yes, thanks. I wasn't kidding when I said I don't know what I'm doing :)

7 minutes ago, Nnimrod said:

Ah yes, thanks. I wasn't kidding when I said I don't know what I'm doing :)

Then you've probably got a bit of a learning experience ahead of you. For editing and compiling the source you're going to need something like Monodevelop or Visual Studio by Microsoft, both of which are free. Or rather, there is a free version of VS but you have to apply for a license. (basically have to register with MS is all it is). I prefer Monodevelop but it is no longer in development and the last version didn't support certain features in the latest C#.

2 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

Then you've probably got a bit of a learning experience ahead of you. For editing and compiling the source you're going to need something like Monodevelop or Visual Studio by Microsoft, both of which are free. Or rather, there is a free version of VS but you have to apply for a license. (basically have to register with MS is all it is). I prefer Monodevelop but it is no longer in development and the last version didn't support certain features in the latest C#.

Is Notepad++ passable for editing/writing stuff? I just need MVS or monodevelop for compiling, right?

9 hours ago, Starwaster said:

I prefer Monodevelop but it is no longer in development and the last version didn't support certain features in the latest C#.

Also, as I use VS 2017 myself, I wouldn't be surprised if MonoDevelop would not like the source for OhScrap! (I know that Magico had to update the build server to get it to compile on there)

9 hours ago, Nnimrod said:

Is Notepad++ passable for editing/writing stuff? I just need MVS or monodevelop for compiling, right?

Wouldn't recommend it tbh. VS is a fine IDE, use that if that's the route you are going down. - Incidentally, I don't recommend it. I'd re-write a mod from scratch for this.

7 hours ago, severedsolo said:

Also, as I use VS 2017 myself, I wouldn't be surprised if MonoDevelop would not like the source for OhScrap! (I know that Magico had to update the build server to get it to compile on there)

It depends on if you actually made use of new features that aren't supported in the most recent Monodevelop release. The latest Monodevelop is actually up to date in that regard in the source but there are no publicly available builds of that code. 

There are also downloadable packages add compatibility and I have successfully used them in compiling mods that used otherwise unsupported C# features. (MJ2 for example)

So there are still options open for Mono users. It's not really a big deal sticking with it over VS.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Jaff said:

installed this on a 1.4.5 save and I dont seem to have any of the functionality.

there's no UI or anything.

can anyone shed some light on this please?

a screenshot of what I should be seeing could help too :)

Could you please provide a log?

4 hours ago, severedsolo said:

Could you please provide a log?

Sorry if I’m being stupid but how do I do that? 

I think uve I’ve installed it right, the zip file is a little different to other mods, when you open the folder up there’s a load of files including the game data folder. 

Ive put all those files in the folder and the stuff in the game data in the games game data folder. 

I assume this is right? 

2 hours ago, Jaff said:

Sorry if I’m being stupid but how do I do that? 

I think uve I’ve installed it right, the zip file is a little different to other mods, when you open the folder up there’s a load of files including the game data folder.  

Ive put all those files in the folder and the stuff in the game data in the games game data folder. 

I assume this is right? 

Oh I know what you've done. Did it look like this by any chance?

p2lntzR.png

You grabbed the 1.3.6 pre-release - but the release zip for that has been removed because it breaks existing saves. What you got was the source files, which doesn't have a compiled DLL in it (which is the bit that makes the mod actually work)

You want this one:

https://github.com/severedsolo/OhScrap/releases/tag/1.3.5

Also make sure you have ScrapYard and Module Manager installed.

If that's not it - (I assume you are on Windows) you can find your log at C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\LocalLow\Squad\Kerbal Space Program - I need the output_log.txt file. Or the KSP.log from your game directory.

3 hours ago, severedsolo said:

Oh I know what you've done. Did it look like this by any chance?

p2lntzR.png

You grabbed the 1.3.6 pre-release - but the release zip for that has been removed because it breaks existing saves. What you got was the source files, which doesn't have a compiled DLL in it (which is the bit that makes the mod actually work)

You want this one:

https://github.com/severedsolo/OhScrap/releases/tag/1.3.5

Also make sure you have ScrapYard and Module Manager installed.

If that's not it - (I assume you are on Windows) you can find your log at C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\LocalLow\Squad\Kerbal Space Program - I need the output_log.txt file. Or the KSP.log from your game directory.

Top man thank you. 

Yes it did look like that.

I will give that a whirl now. Thank you 

yes I have scrapyard and module manager 

Quick question, you say you need kct for this mod to work properly, does that mean you’re supposed to recover active vessel in the kct ui? Or just recover it any which way? 

For or example I just done an engine static test and pad abort test in one go, the crew capsule ends up half a mile away and I recover that using kct, the booster is still on the pad (with a probe core) so I recover that using kct. 

When you look at the parts in the van then, all pets say that they are new? This can’t be right surely? 

Or or does all of this have something to do with the fact it was all held down with launch clamps therefore doesn’t count as a use? 

3 minutes ago, severedsolo said:

@Jaff - Make sure you have "auto-apply" turned on in ScrapYard

I will say though, KCT's "recover active vessel" function may/may not work, I haven't actually tested it.

I have that turned on and I’ll click auto assign just for giggles too that still doesn’t seem to work. I’m going to test normal recovery now.

yeah recover active vessel is... dubious at best, it does work but it can mess with engine plates and looks like it’s hanging the game but does get through it 

• 4 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, New Horizons said:

Hey, I am preparing a new game - with this mod again. Where are we at support for Real Fuels (engines/SRBs and tanks) and procedural parts? 

Procedural parts will probably not work (there's some code for Procedural Fairings in the latest SY release, but it's not been tested, I'm still getting to grips with the code base).

Real Fuels on the other hand, should work out of the box. TankFailureModule does not care where the tanks come from, it just checks that they have resource.

Edited by severedsolo

• 4 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, dlrk said:

Couple questions:

Is 1.3.5 or 1.3.6 the one to use (on KSP 1.4.5)?
Does procedural parts not working mean that procedural parts will not fail, or is there a larger problem?

1.3.5 is the one to use - 1.3.6 was never finished, and the Beta was pulled due to game-breaking problems.

I expect the actual failures on procedural parts will work fine, the issue is that ScrapYard doesn't work very well with them (so they won't be added to your inventory)