[1.8.x] Oh Scrap!- A ScrapYard based Part Failure and Reliability Mod 2.0.1 (07/12/2019)

severedsolo

26 minutes ago, biohazard15 said:

I did 10+ test firings with starting engine (BDB's Viklun-50, BDB's fuel tank, BDB's Obelix probe as core part) and got nothing - it's still level 1. 

Ah, yes that's a small bug that will be fixed shortly (there was a little confusion about whether that was working or not, but I just checked the code and it isn't).

At the moment, for a part to be "tested" the vessel must exceed 1m/s. Static tests are supposed to work, but I did a major rewrite recently, and accidentally took that bit out.

Reopened #11 because @Beetlecat lied to me ;)

Edit: Scratch that, it can't be your issue because you aren't using the inventory. Can I get a log and copy of your save please @biohazard15

Edited by severedsolo

11 hours ago, severedsolo said:

Scratch that, it can't be your issue because you aren't using the inventory. Can I get a log and copy of your save please @biohazard15

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_iMjsVhkrMSM7kQvE-V9u1PrI6le1LfT

What I did:

Started a new career, all options are default, except funds (gave myself 500K for testing). I've also enabled logging both in OhScrap and ScrapYard, and disabled ScrapYard inventory.

I then made four flights. All crafts were made from scratch (I've used new craft button each time).

Flight 1: BDB probe, fuel tank, engine, 1.25m launch clamp. Engine is on top (means it would fire up). Engine and launch clamp were staged together. I let engine burn all the fuel, then recovered vessel. No changes in reliability rating.

Flight 2: Same setup, except I've put launch clamp into another stage. Activated engine with launch clamp still active, let it burn all the fuel, recovered vessel. No changes in reliability rating.

Flight 3: Actual rocket this time, with Mk16 chute for recovery. Chute failed at low altitude, craft landed on it, chute exploded. The rest survived and was recovered. No changes in reliability rating.

Flight 3: BDB Obelix probe and BDB small SRB. SRB "failed to ignite" almost immediately after launch. Craft recovered, no changes in reliability rating.

11 hours ago, biohazard15 said:

Flight 1: BDB probe, fuel tank, engine, 1.25m launch clamp. Engine is on top (means it would fire up). Engine and launch clamp were staged together. I let engine burn all the fuel, then recovered vessel. No changes in reliability rating.

When you say "recovered vessel" do you mean recovered into the VAB inventory via KCT "Recover Active Vessel", or the stock recover button at the top of screen?

If you recovered it via KCT, go to edit the craft in the KCt window and you should see that the parts have a higher safety rating, now that they have been preflighted.

If you just used the stock recover and built a new craft from scratch, that won't increment the generation and you won't see any change in reliability, unless you actually move the parts off the launch pad before recovering (they have to get going more than 2 m/s and get an MET).

Using stock recovery, open the scrapyard interface in the VAB and try to click "quick apply" down below. Then right click the parts, and you may see that they have a higher reliability rating and "1 previous use"...

7 minutes ago, DasValdez said:

When you say "recovered vessel" do you mean recovered into the VAB inventory via KCT "Recover Active Vessel", or the stock recover button at the top of screen?

If you recovered it via KCT, go to edit the craft in the KCt window and you should see that the parts have a higher safety rating, now that they have been preflighted.

If you just used the stock recover and built a new craft from scratch, that won't increment the generation and you won't see any change in reliability, unless you actually move the parts off the launch pad before recovering (they have to get going more than 2 m/s and get an MET).

Using stock recovery, open the scrapyard interface in the VAB and try to click "quick apply" down below. Then right click the parts, and you may see that they have a higher reliability rating and "1 previous use"...

I do indeed use stock recover button. Thanks for suggestion, will try it next time.

Oh Scrap 1.5.1 Released

• Recompiled against KSP 1.6.1
  • Fixed SRBs rolling 4-5 times before launch (which was leading to the abnormally high failure rates)
  • Fixed all parts automatically being tested because apparently vessel.speed is not relative to the vessel.....
  • Fixed SRB safety ratings not really reflecting the parts likelyhood to fail.
  • Fixed invalid characters in EngineFailureModule patch
  • Fixed Space Engine (Terrier etc) always having a Safety Rating of 1 and simultaneously being physically incapable of failing.
  • Logger will create Logs directory if it doesn't exist
  • Slightly reduced baseFailureChance of SRBs

Edited by severedsolo

4 hours ago, TwistedMinds said:

Now, maybe I'm blind but I think you forgot to include OhScrap.dll in the OhScrap1.5.1.zip release! <3

This is why you don't release just before you go to bed ;) Thanks - good catch.

Oh Scrap 1.5.1.1 Released

• No changes from 1.5.1 but this time remembered to ship the DLL

3 hours ago, Shizen said:

@severedsolo

Thanks for all your hard work.

One quick question, does this mod still not work fully with realchutes?

Concerning since my chutes dont seem to be getting more reliable.

It doesn't at the moment no, but I want to add that soon.

Originally I was going to do a big feature update last week, but the bugs were piling up so I decided to do a patch before I work on new features.

10 hours ago, dlrk said:

@severedsolo

Have you thought about an option to spend science points to increase reliability?

It's one of those things that comes up every now and then (actually I think you may have suggested it previously?) - I'm kinda on the fence about it. I'm not opposed to it per-se, and it would certainly help if you aren't recovering your parts.

TL:DR it's a big maybe at the moment, perhaps once the feature list is finished

14 hours ago, severedsolo said:

It doesn't at the moment no, but I want to add that soon.

Originally I was going to do a big feature update last week, but the bugs were piling up so I decided to do a patch before I work on new features.

Thank you, follow up question. Aside from the open issue list #15 is there a compressive list of systems/mods it does work work with?

And is there a list of mods you are planning to implement it for?

For. E.G. I notice that you are planning to support TAC-LS but i dont know know if you plan to/or  do support USI-LS..

Also Deep Freeze would be an interesting mod/part to have fail.

after CKAN update 

after undocking all rcs and engean faild

6 engeans and 20 rcs 

wat are the posebel reasons?

edit

i used my escape solid rockets to lower PE 

all solids exploded but i was abel to get sub orbital

im am happy to see my pod can get the kerbal safe back even after more then 30 fails :)

Edited by danielboro

32 minutes ago, danielboro said:

after CKAN update 

after undocking all rcs and engean faild

6 engeans and 20 rcs 

wat are the posebel reasons?

edit

i used my escape solid rockets to lower PE 

all solids exploded but i was abel to get sub orbital

im am happy to see my pod can get the kerbal safe back even after more then 30 fails :)

That's... Not good. Can I get your logs folder please? 

Is anyone else seeing this? 

5 hours ago, severedsolo said:

That's... Not good. Can I get your logs folder please? 

Is anyone else seeing this? 

After removing ~50% of my mods and loading the q-save i had no fails. 

Connection problem prevents me from uploading the log. Will upload wen i can. 

Going back to all mods and loading the q-save all fail

Will try more things

2 hours ago, danielboro said:

After removing ~50% of my mods and loading the q-save i had no fails.  

Going back to all mods and loading the q-save all fail

Sounds like mod conflict then - if you manage to get it down to a minimum amount of mods that make it happen let me know which mods it is and I can take a look. A copy of your KSP.log just after it happens would be good too - it may be that it's throwing an exception which I can fix without having to install your modset.

20 hours ago, Shizen said:

Thank you, follow up question. Aside from the open issue list #15 is there a compressive list of systems/mods it does work work with?

And is there a list of mods you are planning to implement it for?

For. E.G. I notice that you are planning to support TAC-LS but i dont know know if you plan to/or  do support USI-LS..

Also Deep Freeze would be an interesting mod/part to have fail.

As far as a list goes, at the moment it only targets stock modules. If you look in the MM patches you can see which modules it's targeting.

As a general rule: any mod that uses stock modules (that I target) will work, mods that implement their own module (such as RealChute) will not work because the mod isn't looking for them.

USI-LS I'll admit I am not 100% familiar with, but I believe it uses an EC system similar to TAC so that's definitely in scope (and I should probably target it, rather than being biased to my own favourite LS mod) and DeepFreeze looks like it has an API so I should be able to target that too (fun times randomly thawing out your kerbals huh?)

2 hours ago, severedsolo said:

Sounds like mod conflict then - if you manage to get it down to a minimum amount of mods that make it happen let me know which mods it is and I can take a look. A copy of your KSP.log just after it happens would be good too - it may be that it's throwing an exception which I can fix without having to install your modset.

As far as a list goes, at the moment it only targets stock modules. If you look in the MM patches you can see which modules it's targeting.

As a general rule: any mod that uses stock modules (that I target) will work, mods that implement their own module (such as RealChute) will not work because the mod isn't looking for them.

USI-LS I'll admit I am not 100% familiar with, but I believe it uses an EC system similar to TAC so that's definitely in scope (and I should probably target it, rather than being biased to my own favourite LS mod) and DeepFreeze looks like it has an API so I should be able to target that too (fun times randomly thawing out your kerbals huh?)

sorry for  the inconvinance

its not an ohscrap failur

i have seen so many ohscrap fails i forgot i have dangit instaled too 

thanks

3 hours ago, smokytehbear said:

Is there any way to change the total frequency of failures outright? I love this concept but it just happens way too much for my taste.

You just need to increase the part generation by flying missions with the parts... and learn to preflight them (works best with KCT). You can have very reliable gen 2 parts as long as they're preflighted, and once you get to Gen 10 your failure rate drops like crazy...

What I'm doing is launching low cost/uncrewed/non-critical missions first, which levels up the part generations... and then once the parts are higher generation, they are more reliable and can be used for critical/crewed missions. 

Gen 1 untested parts fail like crazy... which they should haha. 

8 hours ago, smokytehbear said:

Is there any way to change the total frequency of failures outright? I love this concept but it just happens way too much for my taste.

You can also mess around in the MM patches, the two things you are looking for are:

• in the individual patches: baseChanceOfFailure effects the unmodified (ie Gen 1 untested) chance of failure.
  • In PluginData/DefaultSettings.cfg you can amend the time between checks (higher numbers will mean it checks less often/less failures on balance)

You'll notice the base chance is already set pretty low (around 10-11%). in my experience, changing the time between checks is a better way of fine tuning the failure rates.

Edited by severedsolo

This mod is amazing.

I launched a mission without checking the safety rating of the parts I was using. Had the command pod lose reaction control. Boy, that made for a hairy re-entry. :D

Also, since almost any mission-critical part could be affected, it's definitely going to encourage me to take some spare parts along using KIS.

@severedsolo I love your mod. Thank's for all your work. I've created a [Link removed by moderator] and added remote tech support. I know you were waiting for RT2 but I'm impatient. It was done with reflection and a separate failure module so there are no additional dependencies and its easy to remove when RT2 comes out.  I've also fixed a bug or two in the original antenna failure module. (it now respects comm-net settings. Previously if comm-net was disabled, the part could still fail it just wouldn't have any effect besides highlighting,).

I've got a week off work, and I intend to add compatibility patches for a few other mods. Ferram , kerbal health and  (because someone suggested it above and it sounds fun) deep freeze all come to mind. Id like to ensure you have no problems with any of this. I would have liked to have asked you in a private message but my forum account is too new to send messages.

If your against anything I've done or released regarding your content, please let me know. I'm not really sure what proper procedure is around here (other than follow the licence). Otherwise, if you've had any oh scrap bug reports/Requests you'd like me to look into well I'm at it, also let me know! I've got a little free time....

Anyway, Thanks again for your mods man. Scrapyard/Oh Scrap/kct combo has given this game new life for me.

Edited by Snark
Redacted by moderator

@NipperySlipples - No problems at all - the only thing I usually ask is that unofficial forks make it clear they won't get support from me (which you've already done, so that's fine).

I don't know if your stuff is ready for release yet, but if it is I'm happy to take a PR - the next update is planned to be a feature update anyway (got a couple of other projects I want to finish up first before I return to Oh Scrap)