[1.8.x] Oh Scrap!- A ScrapYard based Part Failure and Reliability Mod 2.0.1 (07/12/2019)

severedsolo

1 hour ago, GJNelson said:

I'm getting the same. All my parts are not advancing in generation numbers. Their stuck at Gen 1, so my launches are getting a lot of failures. Nasty problem if its a booster rocket, which can really screw up a launch.

Scrap yard is updated for KSP v1.7.0, but Module manager isn't. I imagine once Oh Scrap! is updated to KSP v1.7.0, these problems will vanish.

I think it's an issue with ScrapYard - see the linked post. I will try and look at this today, but if not tomorrow for certain (it's school holidays here at the moment, so my free time goes down to 0, but she's back at school tomorrow) - For now I recommend going back to ScrapYard 1.1.1.

I asked @ussdefiant for logs in case I can't reproduce it, but nothing has been provided yet, so if you have some, can you please raise them on the Github issue

Edited by severedsolo

9 hours ago, GJNelson said:

Scrap yard is updated for KSP v1.7.0, but Module manager isn't.

Please dont imply that Module Manager isnt working for KSP 1.7.0.
Just because a mod hasnt been actually updated for, or "officially" stated to work with a specific KSP version, does not mean that it wont work in that version.

I'm sure if there were issues with MM for 1.7.0, we would have heard a huge outcry by the first or second day after 1.7.0 released.
Also, for several days now, the *LAST, most current* post on the MM thread, just happens to be Sarbian himself stating current version works fine on 1.7.0.

On 4/22/2019 at 9:29 AM, Stone Blue said:

Please dont imply that Module Manager isnt working for KSP 1.7.0.
Just because a mod hasnt been actually updated for, or "officially" stated to work with a specific KSP version, does not mean that it wont work in that version.

I'm sure if there were issues with MM for 1.7.0, we would have heard a huge outcry by the first or second day after 1.7.0 released.
Also, for several days now, the *LAST, most current* post on the MM thread, just happens to be Sarbian himself stating current version works fine on 1.7.0.

I didn't imply it wasn't working. You read that into my post, not me. Yesterday, logging into Module Manager on KSP Forums, I noted the mod's author stated it was working with KSP v1.7.0 with no reported problems. 

As far as being compatible with Squad's latest update, all I can say is that I've not seen any problems and Sarbian seems to agree. I can't and don't try to estimate of it's compatible. I'll leave that to the mod's author to announce.

Any further ideas are yours alone, please leave me out of any speculation I'm not qualified to make.

Oh, and do have a good day, sir. You are obviously a fan of both this mod and MM, as I am too. Peace ☮️!

On 4/22/2019 at 1:05 AM, severedsolo said:

I think it's an issue with ScrapYard - see the linked post. I will try and look at this today, but if not tomorrow for certain (it's school holidays here at the moment, so my free time goes down to 0, but she's back at school tomorrow) - For now I recommend going back to ScrapYard 1.1.1.

I asked @ussdefiant for logs in case I can't reproduce it, but nothing has been provided yet, so if you have some, can you please raise them on the Github issue

I'm out of town on travel for work at the moment. Once I return home later this week, I'll see about uploading the log files you need. Thanks for your work on Oh Scrap! and ScrapYard mods. I'll try my best to support your efforts.

Update: I was just reading up on another mod I use, and just realized it has within it "parts reliability" functionality too. I use the mod "Kerbalism". I'll need to check and see if the two are affecting each other and may have to choose which to continue using.

It's been a while since I played KSP and over been catching up with the mods and the modding community itself. I hadn't realized how much some of the mods have expanded. I'll definitely need to check what mods I use more closely.

Edited by GJNelson
Google suggestions tries too hard at times to help with my posts.

@severedsolo Wanted to update you concerning my issues with Oh Scrap! part generations not updating. It's working again. I reviewed my installed mod list and found a few conflicts. For one, I had 2 mods that dealt wish life support... Kerbalism and USI Life Support. I'm now only using Kerbalism. I also got rid of almost all my USI built mods due questions about some of them having USI Life Support built into them.Oh Scrap! now appears to be working again for me. The generation count now updates with each time I build a new part. I also reinstalled Oh Scrap!, so I'm not 100% sure what corrected things for me. If I can narrow it down, I'll let you know.

Edited by GJNelson

33 minutes ago, GJNelson said:

How do I achieve a "Tested" status with parts? The right-click menu for parts shows "Tested: False".

Launch the parts then recover them. The criteria for making that change to true is:

1) Initiate a "pad test" by staging your engines

2) Make the vessel move at more than 1 m/s.

12 hours ago, severedsolo said:

Launch the parts then recover them. The criteria for making that change to true is:

1) Initiate a "pad test" by staging your engines

2) Make the vessel move at more than 1 m/s.

By "pad test", do you mean as part of a rocket I am launching, or something special? I've been launching rockets, but not getting "Tested: True".

Perhaps I'm not fulfilling the "recover" them part? I'll check that. Perhaps they were blowing up on re-entry. I'm guessing you mean I need to recover them intact?

Oh, thanks for the info!

4 minutes ago, GJNelson said:

By "pad test", do you mean as part of a rocket I am launching, or something special? I've been launching rockets, but not getting "Tested: True".

Perhaps I'm not fulfilling the "recover" them part? I'll check that. Perhaps they were blowing up on re-entry. I'm guessing you mean I need to recover them intact?

Oh, thanks for the info!

Hitting space to start the engine counts as a test, but yes the parts need to end up back in the inventory. Whether that be through the stock recovery button or stage recovery

Good lord, the problem was I wasn't choosing a part via scrapyard. I kept using new parts. LOL, sorry, it was my mix-up. Everything is working great now.

I wish i knew for sure what I was doing or what mod was keeping Generation counts from incrementing, but having gone through my mod list and eliminated mods I didn't need or were duplicates. I had 2 life support mods (i.e. USI LS and Kerbalism) and am now only using Kerbalism. I'm playtesting the new Kerbalism v3.0 for the Kerbalism team.

Thanks for clearing up for me what I was missing. I really like using Oh Scrap! and Scrapyard. Kerbalism has some reliability built into it, but in Kerbalism v3.0, I can option that off in the Kerbalism config file. Kerbalism tracks things differently, so Oh Scrap! and Kerbalism v3.0 are playing well together. No problems.

Edited by GJNelson

This is probably one of the hardest decisions I’ve had to make, but it’s time to face the truth.

Regular followers will probably have noticed that I’ve been a bit less communicative recently, and when I do reply, the replies can be a bit curt.

I mod for myself, and the truth is that I really haven’t played KSP since 1.4.x came out (even then it was becoming less and less). This means that I just don’t have the motivation to bring stuff up to date, or address issues, and quite frankly it’s showing.

Every time I load up the forums, or get an email on one of my threads with a bug, I groan to myself. This is not a reflection on you guys, you are all almost exclusively a very nice bunch of people who are very helpful in helping me track down issues, and the rare one or two who haven’t been have usually been put off by my generally grumpy attitude to those kind of requests, so don’t tend to stick around. The problem is with me, I just don’t want to do this any more, and that’s not fair on you guys, who need someone who will actually dedicate themselves to it.

With that, it’s time for me to announce my retirement from modding. I don’t plan to just disappear, I’ll still be around, and I plan to get all the mods to a point where someone else could take them over easily (at the very least they will be getting a 1.7 update), and I’ll try and resolve any outstanding issues on Github before I call it a day. I still want to be a part of the community, I just don’t want to mod.

I believe everything is licensed MIT, but for anything that isn’t, it will be changed over to make any handover as smooth as possible. If anyone is interested in adopting any of my mods, please let me know.

I’d like to thank every one of you for your support and encouragement over the years, I’d like to thank the amazing modding community for all their help, especially the guys on Discord (you know who you are) and just generally everyone on this forum for being awesome.

The fact that somebody like me, who started with literally zero programming experience can become one of the big names in modding (well, I like to think I am anyway) simply by teaching myself and following other modders examples, is testament to how helpful this entire community can be.

If your just interested in my retirement, you can stop reading here. If you’d like to know what I’ll be doing next, check the spoiler (it's in no way KSP related just FYI).

Spoiler

I’ve mentioned several times that I have an autistic daughter. One of the things that REALLY bugs me, is that there are very few apps that allow you to use PECS* in a helpful way, especially when children are first learning it. To start with, children don’t understand symbols, you use photographs instead, but the apps almost exclusively have symbols and nothing else.

So, what I want to do, is use the programming skills that I have learnt here, to develop an app that will allow parents of autistic children to take pictures of objects, record their parents voice saying what that object is, and then when the child pushes the photo on the app, it will say the word.

*For those who don’t know, PECS stands for “Picture Exchange Communication System” - basically for non-verbal autistic people it gives them a voice, they can communicate what they want / how they are feeling by handing you a picture/symbol of that thing/emotion etc.

Thanks very much for all your hard work on your mods. They make the game much more enjoyable even though I just discovered them this year when I got back into playing   

I really do understand your decision as I’ve had to make a similar one with something I’ve been very deeply involved in for years and it’s now work rather than being enjoyable.

Good of luck with your project, it sounds like a great cause.   

Hi @severedsolo

I have started playing the game and using your mods just recently but I want to thank you all the same for all your work on them and for the patience you have demonstrated into listening and helping fellow players and forum members. Though being a newcomer here, I have been reading old posts and threads and I must admit that the dedication demonstrated by you and other modders over the years, is commendable.

The time you spend with your family and/or doing what you like is always well spent. I wish you all the best with your next projects, and I hope to read your comments here from time to time.

Just a couple of notes for @severedsolo (in case he decides to bring the last little fixes to his mods before handing them over to someone else), or for whoever will succeed him in taking care of ScrapYard/OhScrap!

1st note,

I must confirm the reports below:

On 4/18/2019 at 6:22 PM, ussdefiant said:

2)With regard to the new version of SY/KRASH, i've been noticing that the Generation on my parts have not been ticking up at all since about the time that last update came through. All my engines/new solar panels/various small bits for my satellites are still stuck at Gen 1 or 2 despite being used about a dozen+ times in various configurations.

On 4/22/2019 at 5:51 AM, GJNelson said:

I'm getting the same. All my parts are not advancing in generation numbers. Their stuck at Gen 1, so my launches are getting a lot of failures. Nasty problem if its a booster rocket, which can really screw up a launch.

I am using KCT v 1.4.6.4, SY v1.1.2, FT v1.0.0.1 and OhScrap v 1.6.1.1 on top of KSP v 1.7.0 and I have no part nor life support mods installed.

2nd note,

the safety rating calculation seems messed up. If I assemble a craft in VAB or load a save one, OhScrap's windows always gives me a safaty rating of 0 (horrible). The get the actual rating I must leave the craft loaded in the VAB, exit and enter it again

If you think it helpful, I can upload here the full list of my mods, the most recent game logs and save files and I can describe how to reproduce the said bugs.

Edited by gap

1 hour ago, gap said:

Just a couple of notes for @severedsolo (in case he decides to bring the last little fixes to his mods before handing them over to someone else), or for whoever will succeed him in taking care of ScrapYard/OhScrap!

1st note,

I must confirm the reports below:

I am using KCT v 1.4.6.4, SY v1.1.2, FT v1.0.0.1 and OhScrap v 1.6.1.1 on top of KSP v 1.7.0 and I have no part nor life support mods installed.

2nd note,

the safety rating calculation seems messed up. If I assemble a craft in VAB or load a save one, OhScrap's windows always gives me a safaty rating of 0 (horrible). The get the actual rating I must leave the craft loaded in the VAB, exit and enter it again

If you think it helpful, I can upload here the full list of my mods, the most recent game logs and save files and I can describe how to reproduce the said bugs. 

Both related - it's under ScrapYard/3 and will be fixed before I go away :) For now, I highly recommend using SY 1.1.1 - literally the only change was the KRASH wrapper, which has messed things up.

2 hours ago, severedsolo said:

Both related - it's under ScrapYard/3 and will be fixed before I go away :) For now, I highly recommend using SY 1.1.1 - literally the only change was the KRASH wrapper, which has messed things up.

Thank you very much sevredsolo! If I replace SY 1.1.2 with SY 1.1.1, will the generation # of already built parts be updated automatically to reflect their actual generation, or only newly built parts will benefit from that?

Edited by gap

7 hours ago, gap said:

Thank you very much sevredsolo! If I replace SY 1.1.2 with SY 1.1.1, will the generation # of already built parts be updated automatically to reflect their actual generation, or only newly built parts will benefit from that?

Will probably only work on newly built parts - OhScrap! saves whatever number SY throws at it the first time, meaning it would have saved the wrong number.

3 hours ago, severedsolo said:

Will probably only work on newly built parts - OhScrap! saves whatever number SY throws at it the first time, meaning it would have saved the wrong number.

Okay, that makes sense.

Luckily I have not built many parts in my career: I mostly recycled used parts from previously launched rockets, so I have not lost too many generation points...

• 4 weeks later...

Fun mod *sarcastic*

Three times in a row on the first rocket I made, was failure to ignite.

With construction time, I've passed day 40 without launching a single rocket and all the money is gone.

Great Playthrough!

11 minutes ago, EasyAce said:

Fun mod *sarcastic*

Three times in a row on the first rocket I made, was failure to ignite.

With construction time, I've passed day 40 without launching a single rocket and all the money is gone.

Great Playthrough!

You are welcome to uninstall it if you dont enjoy it *not sarcastic* Next time try constructive criticism.

Everything is fully customizable failure and difficulty wise. There are config's, There is a settings page. Your career settings may need to be adjusted if you find it not to your liking, or the chances of failure in oh scraps config. 

You also likely wouldn't of run out of funds if you were building just the booster for static fires until it was more reliable. If you just built 3 Large fully mission ready rockets and tried to launch them without testing or increasing generations then yeah....3 duplicate, super expensive, untested rockets made of large numbers of untested parts.....well that's the expected outcome.

Try:

1) prebuilding just the boosters, testing them and increasing generation until they fire more often than not. (static fires)

2) not using a bunch of low generation parts all together at the same time on early rockets. a bunch of low generation/untested parts on the same craft will increase your chances of having a failure.

Using a part failure mod like this or baris is a process of building up the reliability of your parts. You wont just launch a rocket and get to space unless your inventory is tested and improved.

In short, Lots of people manage just fine. Maybe its user error. If you have any actual balance suggestions or questions, I'm sure the mod author would be happy to hear them. Without the sarcasm mind you.

Great mod! I just experienced what I believe to be a bug...my ablator leaked! The part was a custom heatshield, but using the stock ablator resource. Isn't that resource black listed from leakage?

8 minutes ago, subyng said:

Great mod! I just experienced what I believe to be a bug...my ablator leaked! The part was a custom heatshield, but using the stock ablator resource. Isn't that resource black listed from leakage?

It is indeed.... first thing is to check your SeveredSolo/OhScrap/MM Patches/DontLeak.cfg

You should have a config node in there that says:

OHSCRAP_RESOURCE_BLACKLIST
{
    name = Ablator
}

If you don't, add it.

Assuming that is there, I'd check your custom heatshield part, and make sure that the resource is actually called "Ablator" in the name field. (OhScrap doesn't care what the display name is, it's checking for the name defined in the config file.)

If all of that fails, I'll need your log from when it leaked.

1 hour ago, subyng said:

Yep, the configs all look correct. 

Here's the Oh Scrap log:

https://pastebin.com/5rgVn6TQ

Corvus Heat Shield is the part that failed. Interestingly I don't see any "Failure Event" and "Failure Successful" messages at the very end, even though that part did indeed fail. 

I'll need to see your KSP.log I think.

Was it this mod the heatshield came from? https://spacedock.info/mod/1405/Corvus CF

I just tried to make it leak, and all the debugging stuff came back (correctly) as "not allowed to leak"

Obviously I can see from the OhScrap logs that it did indeed try to fail it, but I'm not sure why.

Edited by severedsolo

Yep, that's the mod. Here's my ksp log:

https://ufile.io/z4nuge7w

And my mod folder: 

https://imgur.com/a/MYK5Nyt

I'm using DeadlyEntry, and I noticed it defines a resource "AblativeShielding". Perhaps its overriding the "Ablator" resource used in stock, which is why it was targeted by this mod. I will try adding AblativeShielding to the blacklist and report back!

Thanks!