[1.8.x] Oh Scrap!- A ScrapYard based Part Failure and Reliability Mod 2.0.1 (07/12/2019)

severedsolo

Nice work and ive been testing this mod with scrapyard and KCT and it works nice but I think i would be nice if only engineers would be the only ones able to repair or maybe the more complex parts like engines atleast. 

1 question. I have a shuttle with 3 engines that have been recovered 3 times each. One engine has a failure rate of 3% and 1 has only 1%. What determines this? is it random? 

• 1 month later...

Hey, I'm interested to see where this mod goes. Because it uses scrapyard for its data, if I drop this into a game where I've had ScrapYard installed, will it pick up where it should be in terms of part reliability or will everything suddenly be super unreliable?

8 hours ago, Booots said:

Hey, I'm interested to see where this mod goes. Because it uses scrapyard for its data, if I drop this into a game where I've had ScrapYard installed, will it pick up where it should be in terms of part reliability or will everything suddenly be super unreliable?

Yes if you already have ScrapYard installed it will read the data ScrapYard has already been collecting.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, notJebKerman said:

This doesn't seem to work in 1.3.1. If I have this installed the game doesn't even finish loading. Without it it works fine...

Make sure you are running the latest version of ScrapYard from here: https://github.com/magico13/ScrapYard/releases

If that doesn't help let me know, I may need to do a recompile (I've not looked at this yet, as I was waiting for scrapyard to be recompiled)

1 hour ago, severedsolo said:

Thanks guys, I know what is causing it, I forgot that I'm using the difficulty settings, I'll do a recompile tonight

Do you want any space on my build server? I/you can set it up so that every ScrapYard build will do a recompile of UPFM against it and it makes doing recompiles against new KSP versions basically a one-click process (after I update the dlls on the server).

14 hours ago, magico13 said:

Do you want any space on my build server? I/you can set it up so that every ScrapYard build will do a recompile of UPFM against it and it makes doing recompiles against new KSP versions basically a one-click process (after I update the dlls on the server).

Yeah that would be great once you get it working again :)

In the meantime: UPFM Beta 10 (0.10) Released

• Recompiled against KSP 1.3.1 and latest ScrapYard
  • Tweaked failure module:
    High Gen 1 failure rates, but sharp drop off with each build.
  • baseChance lowered to 1%
  • reverted previous changes to maxFailureTime

Edited by severedsolo

I found that RCS thrusters are excluded so far. Is there a particular reason for that? I added this file here "EngineFailureModule.cfg" by

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleEngines*|ModuleRCS*]]

Testing now - seems to be not working in game :-(

Additionally: Over the time I'd like to see more modules open to failures, thinking about avionics from RP-0 or Antenna from Kerbalism

Recently I had a interesting effect on an upper stage engine in orbit. 

There was a drop off in thrust. The thrust limiter decreased a little, but I was able to reset it to 100 % again, but after reignition it droped again - so far, almost reasonable.

But why was the thrust limiter on different values after an reignition? The more often I tried, the worse thrust got - from 90 % initially down to around 50 % - very interesting.

Edited by New Horizons

7 hours ago, New Horizons said:

I found that RCS thrusters are excluded so far. Is there a particular reason for that? I added this file here "EngineFailureModule.cfg" by

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleEngines*|ModuleRCS*]]

Testing now - seems to be not working in game :-(

It wouldn't do. It's targeting ModuleEngines not ModuleRCS. Will have a play and try and add a module.

Additionally: Over the time I'd like to see more modules open to failures, thinking about avionics from RP-0 or Antenna from Kerbalism

More failures are always an option :) Again, will have a play.

There was a drop off in thrust. The thrust limiter decreased a little, but I was able to reset it to 100 % again, but after reignition it droped again - so far, almost reasonable.

But why was the thrust limiter on different values after an reignition? The more often I tried, the worse thrust got - from 90 % initially down to around 50 % - very interesting.

Sounds like you had an "underthrust" failure - this gradually reduces the thrust over time. It's possible it doesn't work that great with RO - the mod stops underthrusting while throttle is zeroed, but if I remember rightly, in RO the minThrottle is always more than 0. I may have to write a special use case for that one.

Also - logs please, if none of this sounds plausible.

Edited by severedsolo

13 hours ago, severedsolo said:

Sounds like you had an "underthrust" failure - this gradually reduces the thrust over time.

Ok, understood. The failure report didn't tell about a ever so decreasing thrust - interesting. I thougt it was a one time thing.

Should parts get more reliable with each building generation? I have a ship with 12 small solar panels - build it severel times now (no recovery) und failure rates are still around 15-17 %. After severel days in flight all solar panels and batteries are broken. Is it reasonable, that everything breaks that fast, especially when I build for redundancy?

Should parts get more reliable with each building generation? I have a ship with 12 small solar panels - build it severel times now (no recovery) und failure rates are still around 15-17 %. After severel days in flight all solar panels and batteries are broken. Is it reasonable, that everything breaks that fast, especially when I build for redundancy?

They should do. That is unreasonably high. I was fiddling with the failure rates, it's entirely possible I broke something. I will do some digging tonight.

I will test this now. Thanks a lot. 

Two more questions:

Why do suffer solar panels without moveability from retraction errors? It would feel more convenient to have to different failure types for solar panels:
A) Some kind of short cut like batteries are affected from
B) Retraction error, which only permitts further movement in suns direction, bit keeps the ability to harvest energy, when point to the sun

In my career play I did not use capules or probes with reactions wheels so far. As in real world it would be interesting to see different intense failures, too.
A) drop of control authority like engines suffer from underthrust
B) total break down

The thing I didn't understand yet is, when is a failure rate evaluated?
Ok, it does after launch (engines might break after a certain burn time and as I red other parts might fail within houres after lift off), but does anything happen at transitions between situations/SOI or even  between physics mode and time warp?

All this leads to the ultimate question: Can parts break after a long time, e. g. firing a thruster while landing on Duna and such adventures? In principle, of not I see a good chance of a conbined play of this mod and Kerbalisms mean time between failures feature.

39 minutes ago, New Horizons said:

Why do suffer solar panels without moveability from retraction errors? It would feel more convenient to have to different failure types for solar panels:

Because non moveable panels are marked as retractable in the games code - I don't know why either.

39 minutes ago, New Horizons said:

The thing I didn't understand yet is, when is a failure rate evaluated?
Ok, it does after launch (engines might break after a certain burn time and as I red other parts might fail within houres after lift off), but does anything happen at transitions between situations/SOI or even  between physics mode and time warp?

It's re-evaluated every time ScrapYard updates the inventory, and when "onLaunch" or "Start()" fires. In practice this is when you launch, and when you switch to a new vessel (or move within physics range of it) - the failures will then happen at some random point in the future. I played with having it re-evaluate every half-hour/hour but it wasn't very fun, 10% failure rates come up waaay more often than you'd think if your constantly reevaluating them.

I feel like onLaunch sometimes fires when you stage too, but I'm not too sure about that.

Edited by severedsolo

With 11.0.23 i get much better results: I lost one battery of 8 after the same time I lost all of them and all solar panels before. 

I have an Idea to distinguish retractable, sun tracking and simple fixed solar panels.

A) Simple fixed panels should only get short circuit like batteries do.

As taken from part solarPanels5 (as far as I know this is the only very simple one:

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleDeployableSolarPanel
        isTracking = false        //  <-- have a look here
        secondaryTransformName = suncatcher
        pivotName = suncatcher
        isBreakable = false
        resourceName = ElectricCharge
        chargeRate = 0.35
        extendActionName = #autoLOC_6001805 //#autoLOC_6001805 = Extend <<1>>
        retractActionName = #autoLOC_6001806 //#autoLOC_6001806 = Retract <<1>>
        extendpanelsActionName = #autoLOC_6001807 //#autoLOC_6001807 = Toggle <<1>>
    }

Enhance this modes cfg: SolarPanelFailureModule.cfg
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleDeployableSolarPanel[isTracking = false]]]
--> insert some kind of electrical break down like on batteries

Not sure about MM patch - testing now

B) Disable sun tracking

Taken from solarPanels3

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleDeployableSolarPanel
        isTracking = false   // add this if possible without reloading the entire game
        resourceName = ElectricCharge
        chargeRate = 1.64
        retractable = false
        animationName = altsolarpanelbase
        secondaryTransformName = panel1
        extendActionName = #autoLOC_6001805 //#autoLOC_6001805 = Extend <<1>>
        retractActionName = #autoLOC_6001806 //#autoLOC_6001806 = Retract <<1>>
        extendpanelsActionName = #autoLOC_6001807 //#autoLOC_6001807 = Toggle <<1>>
    }

C) Disable retracting capability

For retracting panels use already implemented retraction error for parts, which have no "retractable = false" and set "retractable = false"

On 07/11/2017 at 6:00 PM, -MadMan- said:

Spam Log

[LOG 21:32:36.078] KRASHWrapper: KRASHWrapper.simulationActive  b: True
[LOG 21:32:36.079] KRASHWrapper: KRASHWrapper.simulationActive  b: True

Uninstal UPFM - no spam.

Thank you for the report. I have had issues with KRASH spam too, without UPFM installed.

In my case KRASH keeps pausing the game even if it is already paused. Some of the KRASH loops aren't entirely mature yet. I am not sure if that is relevant to this situation. I just wanted to give a general heads up about the KRASH log spam tendency.

6 hours ago, Rodhern said:

Thank you for the report. I have had issues with KRASH spam too, without UPFM installed.

In my case KRASH keeps pausing the game even if it is already paused. Some of the KRASH loops aren't entirely mature yet. I am not sure if that is relevant to this situation. I just wanted to give a general heads up about the KRASH log spam tendency.

Have you tried the new build of KRASH that LGG put up yesterday? He seems to think that somehow he distributed a debug version of KRASH by mistake.

Failing that, if you use the link from the build-server that I posted above, I removed that debug line from the KRASH wrapper

I have an Idea to distinguish retractable, sun tracking and simple fixed solar panels.

That's really helpful thank you, I will put a check for isTracking into the module for the next build.

UPFM Beta 11 (0.11 Released)

• Fixed MM Patches so chances to baseChance changes from last release are actually respected.
  • Fixed space engines not having lower failure rates than launch engines.
  • Added RCS Failures (warning - experimental)

9 minutes ago, notJebKerman said:

This is a great idea. But does it refer to stock parts - orbital maneuvering engines or to all engines started in space?

It basically checks the thrust. ASL Thrust of less than 100KN will be classed as space engines.

Edited by severedsolo