[1.8.x] Oh Scrap!- A ScrapYard based Part Failure and Reliability Mod 2.0.1 (07/12/2019)

severedsolo

15 minutes ago, ble210 said:

Is there a video or written guide to this mod?  I am very excited to try it out!

PS I'll also gladly throw some cash your way on a gofundme

There's a cleverly hidden link in the OP to a mod guide. Not 100% up to date, but it give the general gist as to what's going on.

EDIT: aw crap -- I thought this was the Kerbal Construction Time thread -- Oh Scrap could use a little guide, too.

Edited by Beetlecat

Came across this awesome "static test rig" on facebook that someone built specifically for testing Oh Scrap! parts - owner kindly let me post the pictures over here - I was going to put them in the OP, but I feel like someone will get confused and think it's a parts mod or something.

Edit: sod it. I'm putting them in the OP anyway, they are too good to rot on page 13

EyWm9e9.jpg

eWRLoBR.jpg

Edited by severedsolo

Hi!

I have a slight problem here  Using KCT, and ScrapYard .82 in my 1.3.1. The problem is that Oh Scrap shows me nothin in its GUI (the message tells "No parts detected. Place or right-click the part"). Right clicking on the part gives me the nothing but some Scrapyadr info (such as part ID, times recovered and base safety rating)..

Where to look for the root of this behaviour? 

19 minutes ago, Lan_Morehell said:

Using KCT, and ScrapYard .82 in my 1.3.1

Do you mean you are using Oh Scrap 1.3.1 or KSP 1.3.1? If the latter that's not supported. Also, your scrapyard version is way out of date. Supported version is ScrapYard 1.1.0.107.

19 minutes ago, Lan_Morehell said:

Right clicking on the part gives me the nothing but some Scrapyadr info (such as part ID, times recovered and base safety rating)..

(emphasis mine) - This makes me think you are using an ancient/unsupported version of ScrapYard/KSP too. You should NEVER see "Base Failure Rating" - that gets replaced before the scene even gets loaded (if your interested in the boring technical reasons for doing this twice see the spoiler). It sounds to me like you are using an ancient version of ScrapYard and it's throwing an exception before it gets to the point where it replaces the label.

Spoiler

Most functions in Oh Scrap are handled by a base module called the "BaseFailureModule" - all the actual modules that get applied to the parts inherit from this module, but no part ever gets BaseFailureModule applied to it directly, only modules that inherit from the base module. Because the Safety Rating is a function shared between all the failure modules, it's stored in the base failure module, and has to have a name, so I put "Base Safety Rating" because if it ever comes up, I know something's gone seriously wrong (as in your case). When the module actually figures out what it is, it then replaces that message with a more descriptive name.

Now it's entirely possible I've misunderstood you and you are using the right version of ScrapYard/Oh Scrap/KSP etc - in which case, I will need to see a log please.

Edit: In fact looking at the code, I'm almost certain that's the issue. Replacing that label is the second thing it does, the first thing is grabbing the ScrapYard Module, so it has to be the ScrapYard module that's falling over.

Edited by severedsolo

Oh Scrap 1.3.2 Released

BugFixes

• Modules that have already failed will be excluded from the "Worst Part" calculation.
  • Fixed highlight overriding not working on scene changes.
  • Parts can no longer fail if the chance of failure is less than 1%

Performance Improvements

• Safety Ratings will now be recalculated once when a part fails rather than on every frame.
  • Removed dictionaries that are no longer used.
  • Parts that are never used will no longer be saved in the scenario module.

On 4/16/2018 at 12:31 AM, Beetlecat said:

I have a plane with a fuel tank fail mid-flight (though not catastrophically -- made it home. :)). I recovered the whole vessel, then hopped in to "edit" the vehicle and maybe swap out the tank. It is still actively leaking in the SPH (really cool! --is this intended?). 

Ah poop. I forgot about this, sorry bud. Will fix that for next release.

Edited by severedsolo

On 4/29/2018 at 4:46 AM, severedsolo said:

Oh Scrap 1.3.2 Released

BugFixes

• Modules that have already failed will be excluded from the "Worst Part" calculation.
  • Fixed highlight overriding not working on scene changes.
  • Parts can no longer fail if the chance of failure is less than 1%

Performance Improvements

• Safety Ratings will now be recalculated once when a part fails rather than on every frame.
  • Removed dictionaries that are no longer used.
  • Parts that are never used will no longer be saved in the scenario module.

No worries! I've started a new career again (with a different tech tree) so there's plenty of time to break in new parts. :)

On 4/29/2018 at 6:46 AM, severedsolo said:

What about a fee to patch it up in the editor? Thst way we can choose to use a repaired part (at lower cost and quicker KCT build but also lowered reliability) or a new replacement part (more reliable, higher cost, longer build time).

Loving this mod, spices things up when you're just grinding contracts or flying delivery missions, and makes a real reason to use LES's which is great, however I've noticed none of my mod parts have failed even if their safety rating is 1. Does "Oh scrap" it work with part mods? (Because honestly I want all my parts to be able to break :D)

After seeing the engine test stand posted a few days ago and with some thinking, I was wondering if having a dedicated test stand rig would be useful at all. I guess I'm not sure how engine reliability is increased outside of flying a bunch of rockets (with some failures). Is there any benefit to having a large tank of fuel and just running engine cycles through it to bump up the rating prior to flight?

4 hours ago, Austinator48 said:

Does "Oh scrap" it work with part mods?

It should do. If you are seeing the safety rating on a part, it means that it has the necessary modules to fail, I've certainly had mod parts fail (my life support likes failing on long term missions for example).

1 hour ago, aeroeng14 said:

Is there any benefit to having a large tank of fuel and just running engine cycles through it to bump up the rating prior to flight? 

There is an advantage to testing your engines before you fly them, certainly when the part is brand new. If you give it a pad test, recover it (and it's added back to the inventory) - the second flight is always more reliable than the first.

22 minutes ago, severedsolo said:

It should do. If you are seeing the safety rating on a part, it means that it has the necessary modules to fail, I've certainly had mod parts fail (my life support likes failing on long term missions for example).

There is an advantage to testing your engines before you fly them, certainly when the part is brand new. If you give it a pad test, recover it (and it's added back to the inventory) - the second flight is always more reliable than the first.

Well I've been driving around my Science Truck using Grounded multiple times (using KCT active vessel recovery) with all parts that have at safety rating being at a safety rating of 1 (terrible) and nothing has failed, versus my stock rockets and planes have most definitely failed. Can't see a way of checking or testing if it's working unless there is a way to force a roll or fail. :/

34 minutes ago, Austinator48 said:

Well I've been driving around my Science Truck using Grounded multiple times (using KCT active vessel recovery) with all parts that have at safety rating being at a safety rating of 1 (terrible) and nothing has failed

Ah, thats a known issue. You need to stage the vessel to make the failures start. Workaround at the moment is to put a launch clamp (or similar) on the vessel, stage it and then the rolls will happen.

Need to do something about that though, because it keeps coming up. Apparently alot of people use alot more ground vessels than I do :D

Edited by severedsolo

Yeah that happened to me with a KSC science rover until I put a clamp on it. Also happened a couple of times when I was starting an airplane by right-clicking it and clicking "activate engine" instead of hitting spacebar.

Oh Scrap 1.3.3 Released

• Recompiled against KSP 1.4.3 (this actually happened with 1.3.2 but I never updated the version files etc)
  • Fixed SRBs failing during KRASH simulations
  • Fixed failures persisting in the editor while using KCT Recover Active Vessel
  • Fixed vessel not being recognised as having launched when no staging event has occured.

26 minutes ago, severedsolo said:

Oh Scrap 1.3.3 Released

• Recompiled against KSP 1.4.3 (this actually happened with 1.3.2 but I never updated the version files etc)
  • Fixed SRBs failing during KRASH simulations
  • Fixed failures persisting in the editor while using KCT Recover Active Vessel
  • Fixed vessel not being recognised as having launched when no staging event has occured.

Yay my cars, trucks and other similar vehicles can break without me using a clamp!!! Never thought I’d be so happy for my things to be able to break.

16 minutes ago, Beetlecat said:

Clever!  So the new meta-cheat will be to create a rover that stays invincible as long as it never exceeds 1 m/s... ;)

Just so long as you keep it under 39.3395 m/s - I won't be held accountable for any time travelling rovers.

HI!

Could you please advice me on a few questions:

Is sthere any chance to get a summary of failed parts and kinds of failures during flight? Or at least see a failure description in part menu? Right now I can only briefly see the announciation of failure, then it disappears. If it's missed, you can only guess. On right-clicking on failed part i also cant see whats exactly happened. For example if the solar panel movement failed, the only way to get to know is guess and logic (it doesnt move) :)

How to get the actual failure probability of a particular part? now in context menu I can only see the safety rating, which somewhy never gets above 5. But how can I convert rating into probability per flight hour or minute, or flight cycle? 

How fast the failure probability decreases? What time the part should spend in flight so the failure probability drops twice? What flight time counts towards it? Does the time spent as a space waste count (some tanks can orbit for years in this case)

What are the conditions for test firing the part? should it leave the ground? If i make a test facility that jumps for 1m, then lands back on kerbin and spends there an hour, engine running at idle until zero fuel, then recovers - does it count?

Whooooff,  Thank you in advance :)