[1.8.x] Oh Scrap!- A ScrapYard based Part Failure and Reliability Mod 2.0.1 (07/12/2019)

severedsolo

Oh Scrap 1.1 Released!

• Recompiled against 1.4.2
  • Added SRB Failures
  • Fixed various bits of UI displaying model name instead of part name
  • Upped base failure rates, as they were too low now I found the root cause of the ridiculously common failures.

Antenna failures didn't make it into this build as they are pretty untested. If you want you can turn them back on by renaming the AntennaFailureModule.cfg.disabled file to AntennaFailureModule.cfg

Edited by severedsolo

8 hours ago, severedsolo said:

I've not been able to reproduce this. Could you provide a (preferably stock) craft where this happens?

Sure, will do!

Edit: I just tested it again, 1st with a totally stock vessel, and again with the KW Rocketry Rebalanced Globe SRBs that I got the failure to ignite message before, but it didnt occur again. so its possible that whatever was going on doesnt occur in the latest build. Now the messages occur at stage as expected, with spectacular results (and giving LES rockets a purpose)!

Edited by Jade_Falcon
Additiona

11 hours ago, MrabEzreb said:

I am getting NRE spam.

The full log file is 250+ MB, so I have cut it down to everything before the spam started happening.

I know it happens while not in KRASH simulation, unsure if it still happens when simulating.

Modlist is included in the gist.

https://gist.github.com/HitmanBobina47/1a507bc6ffa848e88c8dab34f449f625

Well unable to reproduce on my end, but looking at your log it looks like KRASH failed to initialise properly, so when OhScrap queried it to see if this was a simulation, it threw the exception.

Make sure you have the latest versions of KRASH, Click Through Blocker and Toolbar Controller

On 3/29/2018 at 3:12 PM, severedsolo said:

Oh Scrap 1.1 Released!

• Recompiled against 1.4.2
  • Added SRB Failures
  • Fixed various bits of UI displaying model name instead of part name
  • Upped base failure rates, as they were too low now I found the root cause of the ridiculously common failures.

Antenna failures didn't make it into this build as they are pretty untested. If you want you can turn them back on by renaming the AntennaFailureModule.cfg.disabled file to AntennaFailureModule.cfg

Sweet! What specifically do you want to test for the antenna failures?

19 hours ago, Kwebib said:

Sweet! What specifically do you want to test for the antenna failures?

Everything :D - I literally threw it together, hit the "fail part" button I use for debugging purposes and went "well that seems to work" - but really it hasn't been tested at all.

It's supposed to reduce the power of the antenna to 0, so it can't connect back home (or to anyone else) - in theory this should mean a) no commnet connection and b) unable to transmit science, but Jade_Falcon said he was able to transmit science, so I need confirmation of whether that actually works (I will do it myself at some point, but I'm hella busy this weekend).

13 minutes ago, jpkerman said:

Another good reason to ignite your engines THEN release the launch clamps.  You could have let the boosters burn out and recover the rest of the rocket.

Yep! I modified my launch script to (hopefully) detect any failures after igniting the engines prior to releasing the launch clamps, instead of staging everything at once.

16 hours ago, severedsolo said:

Everything :D - I literally threw it together, hit the "fail part" button I use for debugging purposes and went "well that seems to work" - but really it hasn't been tested at all.

It's supposed to reduce the power of the antenna to 0, so it can't connect back home (or to anyone else) - in theory this should mean a) no commnet connection and b) unable to transmit science, but Jade_Falcon said he was able to transmit science, so I need confirmation of whether that actually works (I will do it myself at some point, but I'm hella busy this weekend).

Will this affect Remote Tech parts?

5 hours ago, strudo76 said:

Will this affect Remote Tech parts?

Unlikely - it's been a while since I used RT but I seem to remember they use their own version of ModuleDataTransmitter, which OhScrap wouldn't be targeting.

Oh Scrap 1.2 Released

• Remote Repair will no longer automatically fail if CommNet is disabled (by @Maeyanie)
  • Antenna failures now actually work
  • Changed the chances of a successful repair. Remote repairs now have a default 50% chance of success, Kerbals on EVA will raise this to 75%. An engineer will raise the success rate by another 10%. (ie if an engineer is on board during a remote repair, 60% success rate, if the engineer tries to fix it on EVA, 85% success rate).

Edited by severedsolo

I'm working on a certain project for which a feature might be useful. That feature is to allow some parts to be "grouped" into "families" where the reliability of one part affects that of another. The stock example is the LV-T30 and 45. In the proposed feature, these would have, say, 45% commonality, and thus 45% of reliability gains from flying T30's would transfer to the T45's. Stock tanks of a certain diameter would also benefit from some sort of commonality system. I'd envision a simple cfg that says "these parts are a group with x% commonality". Up to you weather that seems like more trouble than its worth.

Second question: I use fuel switch configs, specifically for going from liquid fuel/ox to liquid methane/ox as in my WIP methane engines mod. As I understand it, currently, a Jumbo-64 is a Jumbo-64 in either configuration, even though in actuality these would be very different tanks. I honestly don't see an easy way to address this, but if you can see one it would be a nice bit of polish. Perhaps that's a scrapyard issue though.

10 minutes ago, zekew11 said:

Second question: I use fuel switch configs, specifically for going from liquid fuel/ox to liquid methane/ox as in my WIP methane engines mod. As I understand it, currently, a Jumbo-64 is a Jumbo-64 in either configuration, even though in actuality these would be very different tanks. I honestly don't see an easy way to address this, but if you can see one it would be a nice bit of polish. Perhaps that's a scrapyard issue though.

From a ScrapYard perspective your first question is going to be much tougher to handle than your second. For your second question you could check the modules on the part to see what fuel type it is and can write up a module template for it. If you post a craft file that is two of the tanks, one for one fuel and the other for the other fuel, then I could write up a template that you can use for that. Oh Scrap would still see them as the same part though in terms of generation, since it mainly looks at part builds, which is handled by name. It's possible to swap that over to be more restrictive and restrict on module. I can make that user or mod configurable.

Had a couple quick questions about when parts fail in the current version of the mod.  My understanding is that on launch, the dice are rolled and parts get a yes/no for failure.  What is the current timeframe in which the parts will actually fail?  Reading back through previous posts, I've seen variations among 30 minutes and 6 hours and was wondering what the current version uses.  I'm curious because I was wondering if it is possible say on a suborbital flight that the craft could be recovered before the "doomed" part can actually fail.

Then as a follow-up is the failure chance ever re-rolled after the initial timeframe?  I remember reading about the Unity "Start()" function or "OnLaunch()" function in previous posts.  Mainly curious to know if a craft is in the clear after the initial timeframe passes.  I know Oh Scrap does not use a mean time before failure model, just wanted to check if the dice are ever re-rolled.  So for example, will a probe en route to Duna experience all of its rolled failures before leaving Kerbin's SOI and then not have anything to worry about later?

Thanks!

@zekew11 - sorry forum email system didn't notify me (again) of your post, but magico basically covered what I would say. If ScrapYard can/will handle it I'll consider it, but I'm using ScrapYard specifically because I don't want to have to deal with inventory issues.

59 minutes ago, BlkBltChemie said:

What is the current timeframe in which the parts will actually fail?  Reading back through previous posts, I've seen variations among 30 minutes and 6 hours and was wondering what the current version uses.

2 minutes for engines, 30 minutes for everything else. I briefly flirted with extending them, but didn't like the results because quite often the failures wouldn't happen (basically, if the failure hasn't happened by the time you switch back to the Space Centre, the "fail" result gets discarded).

1 hour ago, BlkBltChemie said:

Then as a follow-up is the failure chance ever re-rolled after the initial timeframe?  I remember reading about the Unity "Start()" function or "OnLaunch()" function in previous posts.  Mainly curious to know if a craft is in the clear after the initial timeframe passes.  I know Oh Scrap does not use a mean time before failure model, just wanted to check if the dice are ever re-rolled.  So for example, will a probe en route to Duna experience all of its rolled failures before leaving Kerbin's SOI and then not have anything to worry about later?

You are absolutely correct, it rolls whenever Start() or OnLaunch() fires. In practice this basically means it will fire at the following points:

• When you activate your first engine on the pad (the first Start() is ignored if OnLaunch has never fired).
  • When you switch to the vessel, or it moves into physics range.
  • If you stage after switching back to the vessel (thats probably a KSP bug, because OnLaunch probably shouldn't fire then, but it does).

There may be other instances where OnLaunch fires, but those are the ones I'm aware of.

Caveat: Technically it also rerolls when ScrapYard updates the tracker, but AFAIK that only ever happens on Vessel Rollout, so would be discarded as OnLaunch has never fired.

38 minutes ago, severedsolo said:

Caveat: Technically it also rerolls when ScrapYard updates the tracker, but AFAIK that only ever happens on Vessel Rollout, so would be discarded as OnLaunch has never fired.

With KCT that can happen when a vessel is completed, which can definitely happen during flight.

1 hour ago, severedsolo said:

Great thanks!  I am looking forward to giving Oh Scrap a try - I really like how you basically have 2 things going on at the same time here:  the general reliability of parts increasing across generations as duplicate parts are produced and the change in reliability based on how often a single part is reused through Scrapyard.

If you wouldn't mind one more question.  Am I correct in understanding that for a given part, the probability of failure does not change during the course of a single mission regardless of how many times the dice are rerolled?  So a reaction wheel with a 5% chance of failure at launch will still have a 5% chance of failure the next time I switch to the vessel and the dice are rerolled.  (I know you replaced using percentages with safety ratings, but I guess the same idea holds.)

1 minute ago, BlkBltChemie said:

Am I correct in understanding that for a given part, the probability of failure does not change during the course of a single mission regardless of how many times the dice are rerolled?

That;s correct.

idk if this has been mentioned yet... but it seems that if you have parts for a craft, it discounts those parts on the craft. but if you dont have the money to pay for a full craft, it wont let you launch it(at the least with kerbal construction time)... so say you have a 16k craft discounted to 130 and you have 11k... it doesnt let you build the 130 kredit craft because you dont have the 16k it would cost if new.(once you do, it does follow through with only taking 130 out).... i didnt know if this needed to go in KCT or here, i assumed here, so taking a shot in the dark

33 minutes ago, ThePhoenixSol said:

idk if this has been mentioned yet... but it seems that if you have parts for a craft, it discounts those parts on the craft. but if you dont have the money to pay for a full craft, it wont let you launch it(at the least with kerbal construction time)... so say you have a 16k craft discounted to 130 and you have 11k... it doesnt let you build the 130 kredit craft because you dont have the 16k it would cost if new.(once you do, it does follow through with only taking 130 out).... i didnt know if this needed to go in KCT or here, i assumed here, so taking a shot in the dark

Sounds like ScrapYard (and a bit KCT), not this. Are you using the Override Funds option of ScrapYard? That's not fully operational and one of the issues is that you must have the funds for all of the craft without any discounts from ScrapYard. Also I don't think that option works correctly with KCT, so I don't recommend using it.

New release with some small QOL changes and fixes:

Oh Scrap! 1.3 Released

• Fixed RCS failures not being able to be repaired
  • Antenna can now be repaired remotely (the other requirements still stand, so if this is your only antenna and you are out of range of Kerbin you are still SOL)
  • Fixed tanks with no valid resources being considered for "Worst Part" in the flight scene.
  • Added button in the UI to highlight your worst part.

Known Issues: When using the "Highlight Worst Part" button all parts will light up (the worst part will be yellow, the others will be green) - I literally have no idea why this is happening.