[1.8.x] Oh Scrap!- A ScrapYard based Part Failure and Reliability Mod 2.0.1 (07/12/2019)

severedsolo

18 hours ago, Eugene Moreau said:

Not sure if it's a OhScrap or KCT problem or either? 

Sounds like a KCT issue, but there is a bit where it should be checking for DivideByZero exceptions too - I'll get that fixed up.

On 3/26/2019 at 7:50 PM, Eugene Moreau said:

It's all gonna be pretty dynamic for each scenario and I know there are going to be a million cpmbinations,  but some basic ones like if a failure is detected on your on the ground, then disengage Mechanic and shutdown all engines.  Is this something more suited for KOS or something like that?  Can you detect failures in KOS?  Maybe Jeb's Panic Box?   I'm not sure where exactly this functionality would go. 

I can add a "part failed" event for other mods to hook into, what they do with that is down to them, look for it in the next feature update.

On 3/23/2019 at 2:29 AM, ble210 said:

How do you "test" parts?  I try to launch my first rocket, it fails and remains on the pad, so I recover it.  However, in the VAB it says the rocket is "untested" and now gen 2 (and it takes roughly the same time to build).  How do I use those prior "tested" gen 1 parts?

I've seen other videos where, after the same type of failure, the new rocket is "tested" and only takes an hour or so to roll out.  What am I missing?

Thanks!

Sounds like you forgot to apply the ScrapYard inventory - look in the ScrapYard toolbar button, you'll see some options for applying the inventory in the UI there.

1 hour ago, severedsolo said:

Sounds like you forgot to apply the ScrapYard inventory - look in the ScrapYard toolbar button, you'll see some options for applying the inventory in the UI there.

I've noticed the other day that even though I have the "auto apply" turned on and also try the apply to entire ship button and I have command pods in inventory, it will try to use a new one unless I go to the pod specifically and tell it to a apply a used one.

10 hours ago, Eugene Moreau said:

I've noticed the other day that even though I have the "auto apply" turned on and also try the apply to entire ship button and I have command pods in inventory, it will try to use a new one unless I go to the pod specifically and tell it to a apply a used one.

That's an issue with ScrapYard that I'm trying to track down - are you using Science Alert Realerted by any chance? I've had reports that's the mod that's causing the conflict.

12 hours ago, severedsolo said:

That's an issue with ScrapYard that I'm trying to track down - are you using Science Alert Realerted by any chance? I've had reports that's the mod that's causing the conflict.

No but I am using [x] Science Continued 5.19.  It was manually installed and, but I noticed it's in CKAN now so I'm going to 5.20

Oh Scrap/Scrap Yard not working properly on 1.6.1 save file with no other mods.

Logs: http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=09253975294622581446

Mod shows up in game with difficulty options and icons. Scrap Yard doesn't seem to apply old parts, but ever increasing new parts. Oh Scrap window only has an indicator saying that my craft is at level 0. I tested it previously on a heavily modded build, and the Oh Scrap window was more detailed. Let me know if there's anything else I can provide.

47 minutes ago, Codapop said:

Oh Scrap/Scrap Yard not working properly on 1.6.1 save file with no other mods. 

Logs: http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=09253975294622581446

Mod shows up in game with difficulty options and icons. Scrap Yard doesn't seem to apply old parts, but ever increasing new parts. Oh Scrap window only has an indicator saying that my craft is at level 0. I tested it previously on a heavily modded build, and the Oh Scrap window was more detailed. Let me know if there's anything else I can provide. 

It's the DivideByZero exception again, welp looks like I'd better bump this up the priority list.

Can I get a copy of the craft and save file please. I may not need it, but handy to have a test case. Especially as you have the perfect test environment set up there. - thank you, this was the perfect bug report.

Edit: no need for the save, I can reproduce. Wow, there is something seriously shady going on there. I need to dig into it.

Edited by severedsolo

@Codapop sorry for the messing around. Can I get that save please. What i thought was reproducing was actually just a messed up  test install. I followed what you did from the log, and it worked ok for me.

Edited by severedsolo

Tinyupload won't let me upload a folder, so I uploaded the 3 relevant files in the "save" folder. Let me know if I need to provide anything else.

persistent.sfs: http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=40365282862172479307

persistent.loadmeta: http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=21177122333228759185

persistent (date).sfs: http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=00406662548965238109

I am using the ksp_64x.exe rather than Launcher.exe, if that matters.

4 hours ago, Codapop said:

Tinyupload won't let me upload a folder, so I uploaded the 3 relevant files in the "save" folder. Let me know if I need to provide anything else.

persistent.sfs: http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=40365282862172479307

persistent.loadmeta: http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=21177122333228759185

persistent (date).sfs: http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=00406662548965238109

I am using the ksp_64x.exe rather than Launcher.exe, if that matters.

That's fine, I can get it working from the persistent.sfs. I've fixed the DivideByZero, but I want to see if there's anything else going on, thanks :)

Edit: Well I'm not getting it as badly as you were, but I am able to reproduce. I think fixing the DivideByZero will fix it.

Edited by severedsolo

@Codapop - Your specific issue was that you didn't have ModuleManager installed.

Having said that, OhScrap can handle that situation MUCH more gracefully.

Oh Scrap 1.6 Released!

HUGE thanks to @NipperySlipples for this release. My own big plans to do a feature release fell by the wayside, so for now, you can have his:

• SEVEREDSOLO: Fixed DivideByZero exception in Editor when no FailureModules were actually present on the craft.
  • SEVEREDSOLO: Removed unnecessary onEditorShipModified event. All Safety Ratings are now calculated in Update() instead.

ALL OTHER CHANGES BY NIPPERYSLIPPLES

• Remote tech antennas can now fail, will only do so when deployed (you can pack backups) and will show as properly malfunctioned when they are failed.
  • Antenna Failures no longer happen if commnet is disabled (they previously happened, but did nothing except add highlight).
  • Minor performance improvements in several Failure Modules.
  • Fixed repairs not being available in some situations.
  • Mod will no longer Spam NRE's if FAR is installed and Control Surface Failures are enabled.
  • Added ModWrapper class to facilitate FAR and RemoteTech compatibility.
  • AntennaFailureModule will no longer be added to parts if RemoteTech is installed.
  • ControlSurfaceFailureModule will no longer be added to parts if FAR is installed.
  • Added support for FAR and FAR's implementation of RealChute. See #18 for details.

1 minute ago, severedsolo said:

@Codapop - Your specific issue was that you didn't have ModuleManager installed.

Having said that, OhScrap can handle that situation MUCH more gracefully.

Ahhh I'm dumb! I was so used to skipping MM because every mod comes prepackaged with it. Sorry about that. Thanks for the great dev work!

On 3/28/2019 at 10:43 AM, severedsolo said:

Sounds like a KCT issue, but there is a bit where it should be checking for DivideByZero exceptions too - I'll get that fixed up.

I can add a "part failed" event for other mods to hook into, what they do with that is down to them, look for it in the next feature update.

Thank you- I didn't realize I needed to pull up the UI (I am still learning how these mods work).

I just want to say that this mod is really fantastic and adds a great deal of depth to the game.  Thank you for developing it!

Upgraded to 1.6 (The mod, not the game) this morning and now I'm getting lots of failures.  First and O2 leak on my command pod during launch so had to abort.  Next launch both SRBs failed on ignition of then liquid engine.  Managed to kill MJ before before the engine spooled up and ignited the SRBs.  Tried to roll it back in to fix and the game crashed.    Both parts were used and both SRBs had a safety rating of 8 and were something like generation 2 or 3.  Seems like a lot of failures all of a sudden.  The log is at the link below just in case you want to look at it. 

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgRoSICLtAZ6gYBdYC1fhWvaNWg3Sg

20 minutes ago, Eugene Moreau said:

Upgraded to 1.6 (The mod, not the game) this morning and now I'm getting lots of failures.  First and O2 leak on my command pod during launch so had to abort.  Next launch both SRBs failed on ignition of then liquid engine.  Managed to kill MJ before before the engine spooled up and ignited the SRBs.  Tried to roll it back in to fix and the game crashed.    Both parts were used and both SRBs had a safety rating of 8 and were something like generation 2 or 3.  Seems like a lot of failures all of a sudden.  The log is at the link below just in case you want to look at it. 

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgRoSICLtAZ6gYBdYC1fhWvaNWg3Sg

That section of code hasn't been touched at all.

If it keeps happening though, turn on "Extra Logging" and include your "Logs" folder please.

Edited by severedsolo

Hey severedsolo, after upgrading to v1.6 of Oh Scrap today, I noticed that the vanilla chutes only seem to have the number of uses in their right-click menu, unlike the previous version where they would also have a safety rating, generation, and tested. I don't have FAR installed, and both of the parachute failures in v1.6 of Oh Scrap have 

MODULE:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch]

Thought you should know. :)

One of them is MODULE:NEEDS[!FerramAerospaceResearch], The ! means "Needs No Ferram Aerospace Research present" . There is an error though, and its probably my fault.  A : is missing.

Line 3 of parachutefailures.cfg reads:

MODULENEEDS[!FerramAerospaceResearch]

but it needs to read:

MODULE:NEEDS[!FerramAerospaceResearch]

With a : between Module and needs. Add that and your parachute failures will work again. Sorry about that.

Its also named"parachureFailures.cfg" instead of parachute lol,  but that doesn't really make a difference.

20 hours ago, severedsolo said:

That section of code hasn't been touched at all.

If it keeps happening though, turn on "Extra Logging" and include your "Logs" folder please.

Sorry for the false alarm.  Things have calmed down after I tossed those SRBs.  They had had about 4 or 5 uses and their safety rating had started to fall.   Must have just been a confluence of bad events.

This brings up my next question.  How many uses does a part get before the failure probability starts to rise to an unacceptable level?  What is an acceptable safety rating for a part?

29 minutes ago, gamerscircle said:

I just got the latest version  [ 1.6.1 ]

and there is now two "oh scrap" icons

K97E44w.jpg

Check your installation. The code that stops that happening hasn't been touched.

12 minutes ago, gamerscircle said:

I removed the mod.. there was no icon at all, I then re-installed the update and there was two.  Did it on my stream.. so I have proof.. :)

There is a LINUX.dll, should that be in there?

Oh OneDrive how I hate you sometimes. Apparently at some point it couldn't save the dll directly and saved a duplicate copy. Because I build my releases using a script, I didn't pick up on it. This probably explains the extra failures @Eugene Moreau was getting too.

Oh Scrap 1.6.1.1 Released

PLEASE ENSURE YOU DELETE THE SEVEREDSOLO DIRECTORY AND REINSTALL FROM SCRATCH. THE LAST RELEASE HAD EXTRA FILES THAT SHOULDN'T HAVE BEEN THERE

• Removed duplicate dlls from zip file.

I have been on the fence about trying this mod for some time now, going back and forth between almost downloading it, to deciding I didn't want to deal with the hassle of random/random~ish part failures. I was just bored flipping through the pages of this forum arguing with myself once again between using/not using this mod, when I stumbled upon this gem of an interaction in the comments:

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 9:31 AM, severedsolo said:

Solid Fuel engines can no longer fail

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 3:30 PM, TheRagingIrishman said:

The astronauts on Space Shuttle Challenger's last flight would disagree with this statement (if they could)

As someone who still gets teary eyed over Challenger, I was horrified by this, yet at the same time I haven't been able to stop laughing about this interaction, so much so that I've woken my room-mate, and it's 2:30 in the morning here. This interaction did it for me. I'm downloading this mod now. :o:0.0::confused::/

@severedsolo Just downloaded and begun testing with Oh Scrap, and I've noticed something peculiar with the parachutes, even with the scrapyard allowing me to recover and reuse parts, a new parachute is being built for each launch. I've got a video below where I've built a test rig with some SRB's a cockpit and a parachute, and after 2 build and test firings, the SRB's are still gen 1's and a set of Gen 2's as one pair of SRB's exploded on the launch pad, but the parachute is a gen 3, even though the parachute was recovered every time, and as far as I'm aware, should have been reused at the same time the SRB's were, when I clicked the quick apply option in scrapyard. Is the failure to automatically reuse the parachutes a known issue? something I'm doing wrong on my end? other?