[1.8.x] Oh Scrap!- A ScrapYard based Part Failure and Reliability Mod 2.0.1 (07/12/2019)

severedsolo

• 2 weeks later...

I've not been able to figure out, is there a way to test parts and improve reliability without physically putting a craft on the pad? Like, a button you can push that has the same in-game time and money penalties as rolling out the part but without making the player switch contexts to and from the pad multiple times?

I absolutely love the idea of this mod, but I'm finding I don't have much time to play and wish I could have the invest-in-testing-or-risk-vessel-failure experience without the real-world time commitment of rolling all these ships out to the pad.

1 minute ago, billybob579 said:

I've not been able to figure out, is there a way to test parts and improve reliability without physically putting a craft on the pad? Like, a button you can push that has the same in-game time and money penalties as rolling out the part but without making the player switch contexts to and from the pad multiple times?

There is not I'm afraid, and it's not a planned feature.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been having issues with the "trash part" button not working, however many times I press it. I thought that it might be an issue with the most recent update of KCT, so I reverted that and nothing happened. I can discard parts perfectly fine within the VAB or SPH, it's just that the in-flight button isn't functional. Mods are mostly up-to-date with the exception of a few that shouldn't interact with Oh Scrap or KCT. Otherwise, the mod works fine and your work, is, as always amazing. 

output log

I don't honestly expect you to dig through that, as potentially any of 115+ mods could be messing with it, but if you have a place to start looking it would be much appreciated.

Versions:

Spoiler

KCT - 1.4.7.12

Oh Scrap! - 2.0.1

ScrapYard - 2.0

Edit: Parts are still kept even when they "cannot be saved"

Edited by crowsnose

Okay, I just skimmed the last four or five pages of posts, and I didn't spot anything like this -- is there any known problem in using Oh Scrap! alongside Test Flight?  As I understand it, they use very different methods of computing failure probability, but do they then independently determine failures, effectively (on a naive level) doubling my chance of a failure?

If it makes a difference, I'm referring specifically to a 1.6.1 RSS/RO/RP-1 install, with both Test Flight (original to the install, a couple months ago) and Scrapyard/Oh Scrap! installed (last couple days), both via CKAN.  I started a new save after installing Scrapyard and Oh Scrap!, generation counts and "flown" figures seem to be incrementing correctly, and I have seen "safety rating" and "worst part" changing from launch to launch (I also have Stage Recover and installed parachutes on the booster, so the same Tiny Tim has flown three times) -- but in the WAC Corporal generation (i.e. first engines available) sounding rockets, I haven't experienced any failures -- and Test Flight alone usually generates one or two WAC Corporal engine failures before I can upgrade to the next version (XASR-1).  I made no ground tests, and even (likely because I reused a craft file from another save) forgot to order R&D on the WAC Corporal engine before first launch.

Not complaining about lack of failures -- when you're trying to get from WAC Corporal/Tiny Tim to orbit in under ten years, failures are very, very frustrating and prone to bankrupting your program.  Just checking if I've introduced a conflict that might cause one or the other or both failure mods to malfunction.

11 hours ago, Zeiss Ikon said:

I haven't experienced any failures -- and Test Flight alone usually generates one or two WAC Corporal engine failures before I can upgrade to the next version (XASR-1).  I made no ground tests, and even (likely because I reused a craft file from another save) forgot to order R&D on the WAC Corporal engine before first launch.

Can you zip up your Severedsolo/OhScrap/Logs folder and send it to me please (there will be alot of files, just send me the whole thing)?

On 2/9/2020 at 12:56 AM, crowsnose said:

I've been having issues with the "trash part" button not working, however many times I press it. I thought that it might be an issue with the most recent update of KCT, so I reverted that and nothing happened. I can discard parts perfectly fine within the VAB or SPH, it's just that the in-flight button isn't functional.

I've had a suspicion that hasn't been working for a while... leave it with me.

On 2/11/2020 at 2:02 AM, severedsolo said:

Can you zip up your Severedsolo/OhScrap/Logs folder and send it to me please (there will be alot of files, just send me the whole thing.

I'll try to remember to do that, next time I have time to play.  Been busy this week with a GURPS character build.

6 hours ago, Zeiss Ikon said:

I'll try to remember to do that, next time I have time to play.  Been busy this week with a GURPS character build.

Do it BEFORE you start your game. OhScrap! deletes all logs that are older than 24 hours old.

On 2/10/2020 at 10:13 PM, Zeiss Ikon said:

Okay, I just skimmed the last four or five pages of posts, and I didn't spot anything like this -- is there any known problem in using Oh Scrap! alongside Test Flight?  As I understand it, they use very different methods of computing failure probability, but do they then independently determine failures, effectively (on a naive level) doubling my chance of a failure?

If it makes a difference, I'm referring specifically to a 1.6.1 RSS/RO/RP-1 install, with both Test Flight (original to the install, a couple months ago) and Scrapyard/Oh Scrap! installed (last couple days), both via CKAN.  I started a new save after installing Scrapyard and Oh Scrap!, generation counts and "flown" figures seem to be incrementing correctly, and I have seen "safety rating" and "worst part" changing from launch to launch (I also have Stage Recover and installed parachutes on the booster, so the same Tiny Tim has flown three times) -- but in the WAC Corporal generation (i.e. first engines available) sounding rockets, I haven't experienced any failures -- and Test Flight alone usually generates one or two WAC Corporal engine failures before I can upgrade to the next version (XASR-1).  I made no ground tests, and even (likely because I reused a craft file from another save) forgot to order R&D on the WAC Corporal engine before first launch.

Not complaining about lack of failures -- when you're trying to get from WAC Corporal/Tiny Tim to orbit in under ten years, failures are very, very frustrating and prone to bankrupting your program.  Just checking if I've introduced a conflict that might cause one or the other or both failure mods to malfunction.

IIRC, RP-1 wiki says that it is incompatible with Oh Scrap.

12 hours ago, garwel said:

IIRC, RP-1 wiki says that it is incompatible with Oh Scrap.

Hmm.  Perhaps in the sense of making Oh Scrap! partially not work.  I never see anything in the inventory panel, for instance, but I do see generations and flight count increment correctly, and a rocket that's been flown and recovered successfully both increases safety rating and changes "least reliable part" designation (instead of WAC Corporal engine, for instance, it'll become Mercury Mini Parachute).  As far as I can tell, aside from no failures (which might be Oh Scrap! making Test Flight not work), Oh Scrap! is working.  And I just checked the RP-1 wiki page, I don't see any mention of Oh Scrap! or Scrapyard, either as recommendation or warning.  They point to Test Flight and TestLite (one or the other, not both) for engine reliability mods.

@severedsolo Well, that's interesting.  I haven't started the game in several days, and the ~/Downloads/KSP-RO_1.6.1/GameData/Severedsolo/OhScrap/Logs is empty.  I'm reasonably sure this indicates something isn't quite right.

Going to start the game now, and I'll check that Logs folder again after launching something.

Aaaand after launching a Tiny Tim/XASR-1/XASR-1 to suborbital height and recovering most of it, the Logs folder is still empty.

Given RP-1 is really designed to work with Test Flight or TestLite, I'll just take Oh Scrap! off.  Scrapyard might, possibly be useful for later in a career -- being able to recover and reuse your Shuttle SRB analogs would save significant money, but with what sounding rockets cost in the early game, it's barely worth bothering to put parachutes on them, even if you can get them to land intact -- and if anything goes wrong, the cost of the parachute wipes out everything you might have otherwise saved.

Edited by Zeiss Ikon

4 hours ago, Zeiss Ikon said:

Aaaand after launching a Tiny Tim/XASR-1/XASR-1 to suborbital height and recovering most of it, the Logs folder is still empty.

Definitely something odd going on there then, there is a bug atm where it creates logs even if it doesn't need to, so you should definitely have some files in there.

If you do happen to fire it up again, shoot me a KSP.log to look at instead.

I've pulled it from that install, and since it appears RO is specific to TestFlight or TestLite, I doubt I'll get to test OhScrap! any further -- aside from RO, I normally don't use a bunch of mods; ran a career for a couple years with only Better Burn Time, and most of that capability is now built into 1.8.1, but tied to pilot skill (new pilots don't see any of the extra stuff, experienced ones gradually gain things like when to start a burn for a node, presumably eventually when to start for an intercept or suicide burn as well).

• 3 weeks later...

I have been asked by @severedsolo to adopt this wonderful mod for curation.

I am hoping @severedsolo continues to assist when needed. :D

Now I do not have the skill @magico13 of @severedsolo have; but I will do my best.

With that said, what is currently not supported will probably remain not supported; unless someone more skilled than I does a PR through github. I also have to say that I normally don't have this installed due to my super-grand-potato giving me an evil cam any time I mention installing it. :o

More will be posted here when it is time.

68747470733a2f2f696d672e736869656c64732e

Edited by zer0Kerbal

Just to follow up with what zer0kerbal said, I'm not going anywhere - I just have alot of old projects and am looking to refocus my efforts a little.

OhScrap and ScapYard are popular mods, but I don't really get time to work on them, so I'd rather they go to someone who can give them some proper attention. Some of the less popular mods will probably be dropped, to clear some time/space for me to work on new stuff.

8 hours ago, zer0Kerbal said:

@severedsolo and all users:

Am putting together CKAN/Readme and need the following:

What mods are:

conflicting/not supported

• None as far as I know

suggested/benefit from

• ScrapYard is required
  • KCT is recommended

supported:

• Kerbal Change Log (required dependency for CKAN users)
  • RemoteTech
  • FAR
  • KRASH

Thank you in advance!

17 minutes ago, dlrk said:

Would it be possible to get a bonus to repair chance for engineers and (usi) mechanics?

Engineers already boost repair chance. Mechanics would be easy enough to do but you'll have to ask zer0kerbal when he's ready to take over fully.

1 hour ago, dlrk said:

Would it be possible to get a bonus to repair chance for engineers and (usi) mechanics?

1 hour ago, severedsolo said:

Engineers already boost repair chance. Mechanics would be easy enough to do but you'll have to ask zer0kerbal when he's ready to take over fully.

If I am remembering the code, instead of hard coding - a simple module manager patch to add the appropriate skill would be simpler.

Open beta for KSP 1.9.1 coming soon.

Like now:

https://github.com/zer0Kerbal/OhScrap/releases/tag/2.1.0.0

SOURCE: GitHub
License:
68747470733a2f2f696d672e736869656c64732e

Just now, zer0Kerbal said:

If I am remembering the code, instead of hard coding - a simple module manager patch to add the appropriate skill would be simpler.

https://github.com/severedsolo/OhScrap/blob/f57eeadd001f7ec43af88b9d1c29e952e2082164/OhScrap/ModuleUPFMEvents.cs#L194

It's hardcoded at the moment, but a skill would probably be the better way to do it yes.

4 minutes ago, severedsolo said:

https://github.com/severedsolo/OhScrap/blob/f57eeadd001f7ec43af88b9d1c29e952e2082164/OhScrap/ModuleUPFMEvents.cs#L194

It's hardcoded at the moment, but a skill would probably be the better way to do it yes.

thought that was the way it was coded - so

Spoiler

if ((p.trait == "Engineer") || (p.trait == "Mechanic"))

should work (pseudo code)

Edited by zer0Kerbal

thought that was the way it was coded - so

Hide contents

if(p.trait == "Engineer") || (p.trait == "Mechanic")

should work (pseudo code)

Basically, assuming that's the actual trait name.

I feel like there is a Repair skill in the game though? Can't remember the exact name, but perhaps that could be leveraged if you didn't want to hardcode.

Just now, severedsolo said:

Basically, assuming that's the actual trait name.

I feel like there is a Repair skill in the game though? Can't remember the exact name, but perhaps that could be leveraged if you didn't want to hardcode.

p.experienceTrait.Effects = "FailureRepairSkill"
  or
p.experienceTrait.Effects = "RepairSkill"

from Squad/Experience/Traits.cfg

Spoiler

EXPERIENCE_TRAIT
{
	name = Engineer
	title = #autoLOC_500103 //#autoLOC_500103 = Engineer
	desc = #autoLOC_500104 //#autoLOC_500104 = Engineers are capable of repairing broken parts, if at all possible.

EFFECT
	{
		name = RepairSkill
	}
	EFFECT
	{
		name = ConverterSkill
	}
	EFFECT
	{
		name = DrillSkill
	}
	EFFECT
	{
		name = FailureRepairSkill
	}
	EFFECT
	{
		name = GeeForceTolerance
		modifiers = 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 1.5
	}
	EFFECT
	{
		name = EVAChuteSkill
		level = 1
	}	
}

should just be swapping the one line of code for the other; am leaning toward FailureRepairSkill rather than RepairSkill. Don't know if their is any difference.

should just be swapping the one line of code for the other; am leaning toward FailureRepairSkill rather than RepairSkill. Don't know if their is any difference.

I think FailureRepair is something to do with Missions. As far as I can tell, it doesn't actually do anything in game. Chutes and Wheels use RepairSkill IIRC (I was looking at this a couple of weeks ago for a different project).

Looks like MKS Mechanics have the RepairSkill but not FailureRepairSkill so if you were to do that (and I agree it would make sense) it would need to be patched in.