[WIP] [1.12.x] MOARdV's Avionics Systems - MAS Interactive IVA! (v1.3.7, 7 April 2023)

MOARdV

1 hour ago, LIPLOOP said:

I like useing the MK 1 Pod

A log file would help a bunch because one can only guess what is wrong but here is a guess do you have ModuleManager.3.0.7 install ? or did you change the name of any of the files or put them in the wrong place ?

13 hours ago, Kaleu said:

Hi, i am new to KSP modding in general. But i am trying to make a IVA for stock Vostok inspired command pod. Well i need some help with the programs (what programs i have to download etc)

Welcome to the forums, Kaleu.

Your question is very broad, and not really specifically relevant to MAS, but I guess here is a link, as good as any, to start with, which covers basic requirements for beginning mod development.

It doesnt cover too much specifically about making IVAs, but it does cover the programs needed, and how to get started with them.
There are several good IVA tutorial threads available, but I dont have links.

Edited by Stone Blue

4 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

Welcome to the forums, Kaleu.

Your question is very broad, and not really specifically relevant to MAS, but I guess here is a link, as good as any, to start with, which covers basic requirements for beginning mod development.

It doesnt cover too much specifically about making IVAs, but it does cover the programs needed, and how to get started with them.
There are several good IVA tutorial threads available, but I dont have links.

Thanks. I have watch some alexustas tutorials on Youtube. For now this is a prototype.

https://imgur.com/yBrflbX

23 hours ago, Kaleu said:

We have other switches levers styles (like in ASSET) or only the Apollo Style ?

The ASET props use a modular switch prop, which means it is possible to make dozens of different styles of switches.  I have made Apollo style levers, since that is the style I am using now.  If I need a new style, I will add it.  However, it is possible to create your own prop configurations if there is a different style that you prefer.  I have made a prop configuration tool that can make part of that task easier.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm getting this initialization error with the Mk1 Pod:

[ERR 19:48:33.444] [MASFlightComputer] Proxy object configuration failed:

[ERR 19:48:33.444] [MASFlightComputer] System.TypeInitializationException: An exception was thrown by the type initializer for AvionicsSystems.MASIFAR ---> System.ArgumentException: method return type is incompatible
  at System.Delegate.CreateDelegate (System.Type type, System.Object firstArgument, System.Reflection.MethodInfo method, Boolean throwOnBindFailure) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Delegate.CreateDelegate (System.Type type, System.Reflection.MethodInfo method, Boolean throwOnBindFailure) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Delegate.CreateDelegate (System.Type type, System.Reflection.MethodInfo method) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at AvionicsSystems.MASIFAR..cctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
  at AvionicsSystems.MASFlightComputer.Start () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

[ERR 19:48:33.444] [AvionicsSystems] INITIALIZATION ERROR: Initialization Failed.  Please check KSP.log

[EXC 19:48:33.532] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	AvionicsSystems.MASFlightComputer.Start ()

I would guess this is an incompatibility with the 1.4.5 recompile of FAR (judging by MASIFAR)?

On 9/21/2018 at 6:55 PM, dlrk said:

I'm getting this initialization error with the Mk1 Pod

Unfortunately, it looks like FAR still does not have an official update for 1.4.x -  there is only an unofficial release/recompile.

I will try to make some changes in MAS to handle this situation better than it does currently, but it will be a while before an update, since work is currently extremely busy.

On 9/26/2018 at 6:28 PM, dlrk said:

Alright, that's what I figured. I'm guessing we'll only have the unofficial one for the foreseeable future. Is compatibility with it possible (RPM seems to be fine)?

When I have time to download it, install it, and find the problem, maybe.  However, based on the free time I have available and the announced release date of KSP 1.5 in "October", it may be a moot point, since 1.5 may break the 1.4.5 unofficial version of FAR.

• 3 weeks later...

MAS v0.90.0 is now available for KSP 1.5.0.  This includes many new props for IVA creators, as well as a number of new features and fixes.  It also includes an example IVA for the Mk1 v2 command pod from KSP 1.5.0.

Head over to GitHub to get the update and to see the release notes.

On 10/19/2018 at 12:44 AM, MOARdV said:

MAS v0.90.0 is now available for KSP 1.5.0.  This includes many new props for IVA creators, as well as a number of new features and fixes.  It also includes an example IVA for the Mk1 v2 command pod from KSP 1.5.0.

Head over to GitHub to get the update and to see the release notes.

YAY, thank you very much.

Looking foward to blowing up rockets in the rocket itself.

• 2 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, Ghosty141 said:

It's great to see what can be done in the IVA but to be honest there are very few mods using it and it doesnt seem like there is much coming.

that's because it's being provided as a framework and utility for people to create what they want with it. There's probably more out there than you think but those people just don't want to bother sharing what they've made or think it's generic enough for other people to want. If you're waiting for someone to make something that you'd find useful with this, then be prepared to maybe wait a long time. Who knows. Best bet is to just dig in and do it yourself. You won't know how easy/hard it is until you try.

Also, you may want to re-read your post and pretend you're someone who has spent copious amounts of their free time working on something for the benefit of others

Edited by Drew Kerman

On 11/18/2018 at 1:07 PM, Ghosty141 said:

It's great to see what can be done in the IVA but to be honest there are very few mods using it and it doesnt seem like there is much coming.

A good, playable IVA takes time.  The simple Mk1 (Mercury) pod took me 10 hours to create.  I spent 40 hours on the MRK DM across several iterations of the design.  I spent close to that amount of time on the FASA Apollo CM that I posted a screenshot of a while back, and over 20 hours on the WBI flying saucer IVA.  Plus there's the time it takes to add features to this mod, test those features, and incorporate them into an IVA to demonstrate them.  And converting props designed for RasterPropMonitor to use MAS instead.  I've done all of that work by myself in my spare time.

I know alexustas developed some new props specifically for MAS, as well as some parts for use with MAS (such as mast-mounted deployable animated remote cameras) that were showcased on his YouTube channel.  I know a couple of other IVA modders have been working with this mod.

I doubt MAS will replace RPM, which is a shame, since I spent a lot of time designing MAS to perform far better than RPM while being much more capable.  But, so be it.  If I can find the motivation to finish off the last flurry of feature requests I received, I'll release the 1.0 version of MAS before I move on to other projects.  Two and a half years of development time is enough for a mod.

23 minutes ago, MOARdV said:

I doubt MAS will replace RPM, which is a shame, since I spent a lot of time designing MAS to perform far better than RPM while being much more capable.  But, so be it.  If I can find the motivation to finish off the last flurry of feature requests I received, I'll release the 1.0 version of MAS before I move on to other projects.  Two and a half years of development time is enough for a mod.

I would certainly like to change over all pods currently using RPM to MAS - what prevents that from being done once MAS 1.0 comes out? Are there features of RPM that you don't anticipate replacing through MAS?

14 hours ago, theonegalen said:

I would certainly like to change over all pods currently using RPM to MAS - what prevents that from being done once MAS 1.0 comes out? Are there features of RPM that you don't anticipate replacing through MAS?

I think the only significant RPM feature I can think of that's incomplete is the MFD orbit diagram - and you can actually use the RPM orbit diagram in MAS (alexustas demonstrated it on a flight computer prop a year or more ago).

There are a few minor bits and pieces that work a little differently than RPM, and a number of variables in RPM that I discarded - but those were all hard-coded threshold variables like "excessive slope" or "excessive speed" that can be trivially configured in MAS (and can even be tuned to change thresholds).  I think the biggest hurdle is the prop library is limited, because I've configured props that I wanted to use - mostly Apollo-style toggles and some modern push buttons, plus a couple of MFDs.  There are way too many ASET props for me to convert by hand, and I haven't written a tool yet to automate the process because it'd have to be able to decompose RPM CUSTOM variables and assemble them into appropriate equations for it to be truly automated.