[WIP] [1.12.x] MOARdV's Avionics Systems - MAS Interactive IVA! (v1.3.7, 7 April 2023)

MOARdV

1 hour ago, MOARdV said:

The MAS navigation module tries to fetch the localized name of the launch site (either a LaunchSite.launchSiteName or a SpaceCenterFacility.facilityDisplayName).  if that's not configured the way I expect, then MAS generates an NRE that causes the main MAS module to fail to configure correctly.

Which mod is it?  I'd like to see if I can tweak MAS so it shows the launch site name.

TL;DR: It is indeed a MAS bug.

If you need my help with getting this solved the most easiest way, let me know!

15 hours ago, damonvv said:

If you need my help with getting this solved the most easiest way, let me know!

I *think* I sorted it out.

MAS v1.1.1 is now available.  This fixes the launch site exception and a couple of issues that will pop up in 1.10.0.  It also finally fixes the cameras for Windows players (which I forgot to add to the release notes - I'll need to fix that).  This release should work on 1.8.0 and later.  It was lightly tested on 1.9.1, and briefly checked over in 1.10.0, but I haven't had time to test it extensively.  On GitHub as usual.

• 3 weeks later...
22 hours ago, SammyNeale said:

Do you support any part failure mods, most just shut down engines so the IVA doesn't see it as a failure.

I've never used any part failure mods, so I haven't added support for them.

• 2 weeks later...

MAS v1.2.0 is now live on  GitHub.  This update adds more functions (it's over 1000, now), fixes a couple of things, and adds more props (see the changelist for more detail).

Of interest to players: MAS now includes a Module Manager patch to replace JSI RPM props (the props bundled with RasterPropMonitor) with MAS-enabled versions of the props, and it patches RPM-enabled command pods to support MAS.  What this means is that the example IVAs included in RasterPropMonitor use MAS instead of RPM.  I'd appreciate feedback from players on their experience with it.

The next planned major release of MAS will include full ASET Avionics / ASET Props MAS config files, documentation for IVA creators for the props, and an update patch to convert ASET RPM IVAs to MAS.  I've got help on the conversion process, but if anyone else wants to contribute, please let me know.  There are still hundreds of props to convert.

On 8/19/2020 at 6:13 AM, MOARdV said:

MAS v1.2.0 is now live on  GitHub.  This update adds more functions (it's over 1000, now), fixes a couple of things, and adds more props (see the changelist for more detail).

Of interest to players: MAS now includes a Module Manager patch to replace JSI RPM props (the props bundled with RasterPropMonitor) with MAS-enabled versions of the props, and it patches RPM-enabled command pods to support MAS.  What this means is that the example IVAs included in RasterPropMonitor use MAS instead of RPM.  I'd appreciate feedback from players on their experience with it.

The next planned major release of MAS will include full ASET Avionics / ASET Props MAS config files, documentation for IVA creators for the props, and an update patch to convert ASET RPM IVAs to MAS.  I've got help on the conversion process, but if anyone else wants to contribute, please let me know.  There are still hundreds of props to convert.

Ok, that is ridiculously awesome, and worthy to make me put aside the new MS Flight Simulator and my other in-progress games to do KSP again.

I can't do conversion, but I'm happy to do usage testing / QA on anything that's been converted.

2 hours ago, panarchist said:

I can't do conversion, but I'm happy to do usage testing / QA on anything that's been converted

When the ASET Avionics/Props update is out, I'll need help testing a lot of different IVAs.  There are hundreds of props in the ASET prop packs, and there's no way for me to test all of them.  I'm doing what I can, but even the classic ALCOR lander has a few hundred unique props in it.

@MOARdV yes.. the ASET catalog alone is *HUGE*...

I've been thinking of starting a .blend file, with just a literal wall of props from various packs, so you can actually *see* the props before spawning, and having them organized in groups by type/function. Plus, you can just select one, and duplicate it. A .blend file, because I think, prop placement is about the last thing Taniwha needs testing with, to get his Blender Importer plugin, pretty much a full replacement for Unity/PartTools... I only dabble in part modding, but i have been soooo happy and gotten a bit moar done, by cutting Unity/PT completely out of my workflow.

I was also thinking of starting a similar Unity project, that could be shared, along with the .blend for this purpose.

Figured if I get started with some groupings, I could load them in-game, take screenshots, label stuff, and create a .pdf of the images, to start a pretty much pictorial catalog of props. vOv

And speeking of " When the ASET Avionics/Props update is out, ...", do you have some insider knowledge, that this might be coming Soon™? :P

Edited by Stone Blue

11 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

And speeking of " When the ASET Avionics/Props update is out, ...", do you have some insider knowledge, that this might be coming Soon™?

Heh.  I wish.  A lot of the conversion work is tedious, and it bores me fairly quickly.  That's why I put it off for so long. :)

I hope to have it done by the end of this year, but that mostly depends on how soon I burn out on going though config files and trying to figure out what they're doing.

I started on the props for the ALCOR lander so I could test them, and I might have 40% of them done (the MFDs are going to be the killers to convert - it took me a week to get through the simple JSI MFDs).  But even the ALCOR pack uses only a fraction of the ASET collection.

And, for a double post:

MAS v1.2.1 is now out.  This was originally a bug fix release for the JSI MFD, but @cyberKerb provided a pull request to add some initial support for resource harvesters and resource scanners.  Many thanks for that PR!

51 minutes ago, MOARdV said:

Heh.  I wish.  A lot of the conversion work is tedious, and it bores me fairly quickly.  That's why I put it off for so long. :)

OH!... lol.. sorry... I thought you originally meant that ASET Props *itself* might have an update, via alexustas :P

5 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

OH!... lol.. sorry... I thought you originally meant that ASET Props *itself* might have an update, via alexustas :P

Yeah, no, I meant the MAS update that patches the RPM ASET props.  My bad - I knew what I meant when it was rattling around in my head, but I didn't get all of it typed out.

Although there are a few props in the ASET pack that have never been used in an IVA. No configs, or only a sample config was ever written.  And I do have an external camera prop that's really cool - the camera housing pitches and pivots in response to commands, so the camera lens is actually facing where the camera is looking.  I should totally include that in the 1.3.0 release.  I don't think I have the camera mast part, though.  Pity.

As a head's-up - it looks like I forgot to rename the ASET update patch in the 1.2.1 release, so you're going to see a partial replacement of props by default.  I'd recommend deleting GameData/MOARdV/Patches/AsetToMasUpgrade.cfg, unless you want to guess which props are RPM and which are MAS :D