[WIP] [1.12.x] MOARdV's Avionics Systems - MAS Interactive IVA! (v1.3.7, 7 April 2023)

MOARdV

This is probably a lot to ask. But could it be possible to have a better landing screen module? To be more precise, one that is integrated with better burn time mod/KER. It would be cool to land a ship without any interface on, but the current modules don't have a "suicide burn" countdown for instance, nor a TWR stat.

On 1/27/2021 at 4:06 PM, Sesshaku said:

This is probably a lot to ask. But could it be possible to have a better landing screen module? To be more precise, one that is integrated with better burn time mod/KER. It would be cool to land a ship without any interface on, but the current modules don't have a "suicide burn" countdown for instance, nor a TWR stat.

It's not really a lot to ask.  I don't think I hooked up the KER suicide burn stats.  The landing page on the MFDs could stand some updates - I designed it for a "traditional" capsule that uses parachutes to slow descent, and not a powered landing, since I rarely leave LEO.  I've added a note on Github to remind myself to add the KER stats.

I don't know when I'll get the MFDs updated - what I really want to do is work on a touch screen MFD, but I need to plan it out first.  Usually, I get an idea of what I want to do, start making pages for it, and then run out of ideas and leave the MFD incomplete. :(

1 hour ago, MOARdV said:

It's not really a lot to ask.  I don't think I hooked up the KER suicide burn stats.  The landing page on the MFDs could stand some updates - I designed it for a "traditional" capsule that uses parachutes to slow descent, and not a powered landing, since I rarely leave LEO.  I've added a note on Github to remind myself to add the KER stats.

I don't know when I'll get the MFDs updated - what I really want to do is work on a touch screen MFD, but I need to plan it out first.  Usually, I get an idea of what I want to do, start making pages for it, and then run out of ideas and leave the MFD incomplete. :(

You just do you at your own rythm. This one of the best mods there are. It's a pity more parts mods don't use it.

Could I have some help with this?

How is the MASFlightComputer module supposed to be set up? The increased camera rotation doesn't work here and I've tried several different configurations like putting the maxrot/maxpitch values to the internal seat module.

Here's the current config file:

Spoiler

INTERNAL
{
    name = BansheeIVA
    MODEL
    {
        model = FoFCockpits/Spaces/1950sBanshee/BansheeIVA
    }

MODULE
    {
        name = MASFlightComputer
        maxRot = 160.0
        minPitch = -90.0
        maxPitch = 45.0
    }
    MODULE
    {
        name = InternalSeat
        seatTransformName = Seat
        allowCrewHelmet = false

}
}

MAS certainly appears to be much more complicated than the old RPM, I hope you don't mind if I come here to ask for help every once in a while.:confused:

@Mallikas is that your *actual* IVA internal cfg, or a seperate *patch* for your IVA internal cfg? cuz in either case, your missing stuff... the difference is *what* you are missing for each case.

So, youre talking about adjusting the Kerbal eye-level/first person camera? And NOT the external camera views? if so, I think that does need to go under the InternalSeat module, which should be in your base IVA cfg.

Theres a JSISetInternalCameraFOV module where you can adjust the field of view. Looing at it now, I'm not sure if MAS needs/uses that JSI module or not. :ph34r: Cuz I have it in one of my MAS IVAs. vOv
You may also need an InternalCameraTargetHelper module in there, too. I'm not sure what this module does... but it was in a MAS IVA I used as an example to build mine. vOv

On 3/21/2020 at 4:35 PM, RurouniDonut said:

Welp, I managed to replace the RPM screens in the Probe Control Room mod with MAS ones but, they're not working correctly. I'm not sure why. The screens have displays on them but, they won't respond if you click any of the buttons at all unfortunately. @MOARdV

I have also run into this issue today while trying to convert a personal version of the ProbeControlRoom internal to MAS. I confirmed that crewed pods are working with MAS on my setup, so it's an issue isolated to ProbeControlRoom.

The issue, as I experienced it, is that the MAS props make noises when clicked, but the props only update when you leave and re-enter the Flight scene (e.g. return to the Space Center scene and then go back to the vessel).

@MOARdV, I tried to take a look at the source for MAS and I have a (possibly overconfident) suspicion that I know why ProbeControlRoom isn't working with MAS props. In MASFlightComputer.cs, FixedUpdate() is responsible for collecting all the inputs to MAS that have happened since the last update and making the appropriate changes to the  Flight Computer state, right? I noticed that almost all of the code in FixedUpdate() is inside an if-statement:

if (initialized && vc.vesselCrewed && vc.vesselActive)

So this would mean that an uncrewed probe would not have any of the code in that block execute, right? I assume that the "is the vessel crewed?" condition is to avoid wasting CPU time on MAS for active vessels that don't have an IVA, but ProbeControlRoom results in uncrewed vessels that do have an IVA and so should still be subject to MAS's code.

I don't have any experience compiling plugins for KSP, so I'm not sure how I would go about trying to test my hypothesis, but I'd be interested to know whether I'm on to something, or if I've just completely misinterpreted the code.

Edit: turns out that I could figure out how to compile plugins. I replaced all the "vessel.GetCrewCount() > 0" expressions in MASVesselComputer.cs with "true", and made FindCurrentKerbal() return null if crew-count is zero, rather than throwing a NRE. Probe Control Room works with the resulting .dll.

I'm going to keep playing with my hacked-up dll to see if there are any additional issues with enabling MAS for uncrewed ships - e.g. any other functions that assume there are kerbals on board. I can raise an issue on Github if adding support for uncrewed vessels is in-scope for the MAS project.

Edited by Sovetskysoyuz
was able to make a dll

13 hours ago, Sovetskysoyuz said:

So this would mean that an uncrewed probe would not have any of the code in that block execute, right? I assume that the "is the vessel crewed?" condition is to avoid wasting CPU time on MAS for active vessels that don't have an IVA, but ProbeControlRoom results in uncrewed vessels that do have an IVA and so should still be subject to MAS's code.

Yes, that's exactly why that condition is set up that way.  Under normal circumstances, there's no reason for MAS to spend time during the game loop to compute vessel-wide values and update props if no Kerbal is there to see it.  Likewise, probes don't have IVAs.  Unless you're using ProbeControlRoom, that is. :)

The only reasons I'd be reluctant to change that are: First, I don't use ProbeControlRoom, and I don't want to have to chase PCR-specific bugs if they crop up.  Second, I don't want to impose any performance penalties on players who don't have PCR installed.

That said, MAS could detect if PCR is installed, and ignore the vesselCrewed test if it is.  Please feel free to open an issue on GitHub.  I won't make any commitments on when I'll get to it, since I've been away from KSP for a few weeks.  But at least that way, I'll have a reminder when I do have time for modding again.

2 hours ago, MOARdV said:

Yes, that's exactly why that condition is set up that way.  Under normal circumstances, there's no reason for MAS to spend time during the game loop to compute vessel-wide values and update props if no Kerbal is there to see it.  Likewise, probes don't have IVAs.  Unless you're using ProbeControlRoom, that is. :)

The only reasons I'd be reluctant to change that are: First, I don't use ProbeControlRoom, and I don't want to have to chase PCR-specific bugs if they crop up.  Second, I don't want to impose any performance penalties on players who don't have PCR installed.

That said, MAS could detect if PCR is installed, and ignore the vesselCrewed test if it is.  Please feel free to open an issue on GitHub.  I won't make any commitments on when I'll get to it, since I've been away from KSP for a few weeks.  But at least that way, I'll have a reminder when I do have time for modding again.

Issue's raised (#331).

On an unrelated note, do you prefer for bug reports about the converted ASET props to be raised as separate Issues, or as comments against one of the existing Issues for prop conversions? I've got a few that I noticed when converting my IVA projects.

@Stone Blue

Thanks, I got it working! I realized the MASFlightComputer module is supposed to go to the actual part cfg, not the internal view config file like I had previously.

It doesn't seem to need the JSISetInternalCameraFOV module at all.

Edited by Mallikas

On 12/19/2020 at 10:27 PM, MOARdV said:

Howdy, folks.  I've pushed MAS v1.2.2 out on GitHub.  This release is partially a bug-fix release, and partially an ASET prop conversion dump. :)   I've done a very cursory 1.11.0 test, and the suborbital Mk1 IVA seems to be working.  YMMV.

With this update, all of the Classic RasterPropMonitor props (the ones included in RPM) are replaced with MAS props.  There is also an optional patch that converts some ASET RPM props to ASET MAS props (a few hundred props are converted - which is less than half of them).  If you enable that latter patch, most of the ALCOR lander IVA will use MAS props instead of RPM props - the only prop that is still an RPM prop is the "kOS Terminal" prop with the keyboard.  The release notes tell you how to do enable that patch, for the adventurous.

Thanks to @theonegalen for the ASET Avionics conversions in this release, and to user vulkans22 on GitHub for the bug fixes.

Hi! Will there be a MAS version for 1.11.1? I tried to put ASET and RPM, but nothing works - the cab is stock :(

@Yarik180703   you have MAS(MOARdV),ASET,modulmanager and RPM (JSI) in GAMEDATA folder and in ASET folder ASET Props,ASET Avionics,ALCOR_Advanced_IVA,ALCOR_LanderCapsule    ( and evt.  Mk1_Lander_Can_IVA_Replacement_by_ASET ,for the LanderCan IVA) ?

then it works pretty well in 1.11.1  (some digits are a little bit offset, but nothing serious)

• 2 weeks later...

Does MAS currently have any way to access the basic trigonometric functions from within a prop config file? I know that they're available in Lua scripts as part of the math library, but I'd like to be able to do something like divide the force of gravity by the cosine of the angle off vertical in order to determine the engine thrust required to cancel out gravity, and I'd like to be able to call it from a TRIGGER_EVENT with autoRepeat, so using a Lua script would eat a lot of processor time.

• 2 weeks later...

@MOARdVHey my dude.

Just a quick question out of curiosity. 

Regarding the now out of date example IVA mod you did for BDB.

Why did you opt to use the old FASA CM instead of BDBs simply dropping it into BDBs parts? 

Was it IP related?

I ask because I'm trying to go through the motions to use your IVA on BDBs stuff instead of using the now very outdated FASA model. 

Cheers man. 

@BenyB873 I could be wrong, but I think it was because BDB didnt have its own IVA, at the time. IVAs are a TON of work, and very tedious. Cobalt and that team, have been putting all their efforts into making parts, and there have been some revamps of the parts. I cant speak for them, but I think IVAs have been low on the priority list.

Sorry, folks.  Real Life has been plenty busy.

On 2/12/2021 at 1:10 PM, Sovetskysoyuz said:

Does MAS currently have any way to access the basic trigonometric functions from within a prop config file?

You can use the Lua trig functions, currently, as you're aware.  They are slow.  I didn't override them with faster proxies, although maybe it's time I did that.  I'll add a reminder on GitHub for whenever I have time to spend playing around with KSP and MAS again.

14 hours ago, BenyB873 said:

Why did you opt to use the old FASA CM instead of BDBs simply dropping it into BDBs parts?

It's been a while since I looked at the Kane IVA, but back when I did, it was not a good one for IVA layout (I don't remember exactly why, now - it's been too long :) ).  The FASA IVA was a good replica of the Apollo interior, but I couldn't substitute it for the BDB IVA, because it didn't match up with the shape of the pod.  It wasn't an ideal solution (I'd rather not require additional parts and internal models), but it was more important for me to get an IVA configured the way I wanted, and I am definitely not a 3D artist, so I couldn't create or modify my own.

It's hard to find an IVA that is well-designed for complex instrumentation.  Or maybe I'm just too picky about how I want the interior configured. :cool:

4 hours ago, MOARdV said:

Sorry, folks.  Real Life has been plenty busy.

You can use the Lua trig functions, currently, as you're aware.  They are slow.  I didn't override them with faster proxies, although maybe it's time I did that.  I'll add a reminder on GitHub for whenever I have time to spend playing around with KSP and MAS again.

It's been a while since I looked at the Kane IVA, but back when I did, it was not a good one for IVA layout (I don't remember exactly why, now - it's been too long :) ).  The FASA IVA was a good replica of the Apollo interior, but I couldn't substitute it for the BDB IVA, because it didn't match up with the shape of the pod.  It wasn't an ideal solution (I'd rather not require additional parts and internal models), but it was more important for me to get an IVA configured the way I wanted, and I am definitely not a 3D artist, so I couldn't create or modify my own.

It's hard to find an IVA that is well-designed for complex instrumentation.  Or maybe I'm just too picky about how I want the interior configured. :cool:

Hahaha. Fair enough with the geometry. The current IVA for Kane is very much like the old modded RPM Mk1-3 (back then the Mk1-2) layout. As in displays down infront and outside your field of view instead of an overhanging panel in front of your face like in the actual Apollo or even the stock IVAs. 

I ended up cheesing it into the cfg anyway. Not a perfect solution but its a workable one. So now I have BDB with your IVA :D Required editing a fair few part references since they change names. Theres probably more then a few issues I haven't noticed yet because of the novelty effect but I'm enjoying it whilst it last.

I dabbled into making or modifying IVAs and boy, people aren't wrong when they say they require a lot of work. Looked mind boggling as someone who only dabbled in lua. Let alone unity.

Makes me wonder how Alcor was made way back in 2014 or so.

Dont worry about being fussy though. As someone who lives for aerospace (quadruple digits in DCS alone :/ ) and is able to see the ergonomics that goes into cockpit design, I fully get where you're coming from hahaha.  

Edited by BenyB873

• 2 weeks later...

@MOARdV I am currently converting my old DSEV ASET RPM IVAs over to MAS 1.2.2 on KSP 1.11.1, and have run into an issue:

Spoiler

[LOG 11:51:22.401] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'WildBlueIndustries/DSEV/Parts/Command/Clydesdale/WBI_Clydesdale'
[EXC 11:51:22.407] UnityException: Internal_CreateGameObject is not allowed to be called from a MonoBehaviour constructor (or instance field initializer), call it in Awake or Start instead. Called from MonoBehaviour 'MASFlightComputer' on game object 'WBI.Clydesdale'.
See "Script Serialization" page in the Unity Manual for further details.
	UnityEngine.GameObject..ctor () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/Scripting/GameObject.bindings.cs:359)
	AvionicsSystems.MASFlightComputer..ctor () (at <e29140ab68fc4de3a108059cacfc3738>:0)
	UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
	ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
	UnityEngine.GameObject:AddComponent(Type)
	Part:AddModule(String, Boolean)
	Part:AddModule(ConfigNode, Boolean)
	PartLoader:ParsePart(UrlConfig, ConfigNode)
	<CompileParts>d__56:MoveNext()
	UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine:InvokeMoveNext(IEnumerator, IntPtr)
[EXC 11:51:22.408] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	PartModule.Awake () (at <2afc64dea36946459d4707808bdac511>:0)
	ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
[ERR 11:51:22.409] PartLoader: Encountered exception during compilation. System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at PartModule.ApplyUpgradeNode (System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] appliedUps, ConfigNode node, System.Boolean doLoad) [0x00029] in <2afc64dea36946459d4707808bdac511>:0 
  at PartModule.Load (ConfigNode node) [0x000f9] in <2afc64dea36946459d4707808bdac511>:0 
  at Part.AddModule (ConfigNode node, System.Boolean forceAwake) [0x0006f] in <2afc64dea36946459d4707808bdac511>:0 
  at PartLoader.ParsePart (UrlDir+UrlConfig urlConfig, ConfigNode node) [0x00f10] in <2afc64dea36946459d4707808bdac511>:0 
  at PartLoader+<CompileParts>d__56.MoveNext () [0x005f5] in <2afc64dea36946459d4707808bdac511>:0 
	UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogFormat(LogType, Object, String, Object[])
	ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogFormat(LogType, Object, String, Object[])
	UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
[ERR 11:51:22.409] PartCompiler: Cannot compile part
	ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogFormat(LogType, Object, String, Object[])

I have the flight computer added to the part config, and this is happening during game startup. Has anybody else seen this?

To convert my IVAs, I've been doing a 1 for 1 swap of the RPM prop to MAS prop. I wonder if that's causing problems.

On 3/6/2021 at 2:05 PM, Angel-125 said:

@MOARdV I am currently converting my old DSEV ASET RPM IVAs over to MAS 1.2.2 on KSP 1.11.1, and have run into an issue:

Reveal hidden contents

[LOG 11:51:22.401] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'WildBlueIndustries/DSEV/Parts/Command/Clydesdale/WBI_Clydesdale'
[EXC 11:51:22.407] UnityException: Internal_CreateGameObject is not allowed to be called from a MonoBehaviour constructor (or instance field initializer), call it in Awake or Start instead. Called from MonoBehaviour 'MASFlightComputer' on game object 'WBI.Clydesdale'.
See "Script Serialization" page in the Unity Manual for further details.
	UnityEngine.GameObject..ctor () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/Scripting/GameObject.bindings.cs:359)
	AvionicsSystems.MASFlightComputer..ctor () (at <e29140ab68fc4de3a108059cacfc3738>:0)
[EXC 11:51:22.408] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	PartModule.Awake () (at <2afc64dea36946459d4707808bdac511>:0)
[ERR 11:51:22.409] PartLoader: Encountered exception during compilation. System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at PartModule.ApplyUpgradeNode (System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] appliedUps, ConfigNode node, System.Boolean doLoad) [0x00029] in <2afc64dea36946459d4707808bdac511>:0 
  at PartModule.Load (ConfigNode node) [0x000f9] in <2afc64dea36946459d4707808bdac511>:0 
  at Part.AddModule (ConfigNode node, System.Boolean forceAwake) [0x0006f] in <2afc64dea36946459d4707808bdac511>:0 
  at PartLoader.ParsePart (UrlDir+UrlConfig urlConfig, ConfigNode node) [0x00f10] in <2afc64dea36946459d4707808bdac511>:0 
  at PartLoader+<CompileParts>d__56.MoveNext () [0x005f5] in <2afc64dea36946459d4707808bdac511>:0 
[ERR 11:51:22.409] PartCompiler: Cannot compile part

I have the flight computer added to the part config, and this is happening during game startup. Has anybody else seen this?

To convert my IVAs, I've been doing a 1 for 1 swap of the RPM prop to MAS prop. I wonder if that's causing problems.

I have never seen that happen, although I'll admit I've spent maybe 15 minutes in 1.11.0, and I don't think I've started the game with 1.11.1 .

That's really weird, since it looks like that's during loading.

Oh, wait.  I've got a couple of GameObject classes that are new'd where they're declared in that class.  I just double-checked the log I have from 1.11.0, and it's not showing an exception, so that's perplexing.

Addendum: I just relaunched with 1.11.1, and I still don't have those exceptions showing up.  I'm not sure what's going on.

• 2 weeks later...

The dependencies are as follows - ASET Props ASET Avionics

But these two are only available for KSP 1.7. But I still downloaded them for KSP 1.11.1 with MAS, but then KSP crashed just after 5 seconds of loading. So where can I download the latest version of the dependencies?

Please help me..

Edited by theleg

@theleg just because they havent been updated since 1.7, does not mean they do not wor in later versions. They should work all the way up to current 1.11.2

First. you need to post your logs. Because KSP crashed, its best is you post both the KSP.log *and* the Player.log

You can find out how to do all that, on the first post of this thread:

On 3/22/2021 at 2:37 AM, theleg said:

The dependencies are as follows - ASET Props ASET Avionics

But these two are only available for KSP 1.7. But I still downloaded them for KSP 1.11.1 with MAS, but then KSP crashed just after 5 seconds of loading. So where can I download the latest version of the dependencies?

Please help me..

ASET mods work fine up to and perhaps including 11.2. I am using ALCOR capsule still for crying out loud, lol. It can be a little finicky at times but if it isn't working you've done something wrong.

1.7 props will have no issues in 1.11, ensure you're using the proper RasterProp files that correspond to your desired monitors. For me, I broke the BasicMFD on purpose to replace it with ALCOR40x20 because I prefer it's camera interaction.

TL;DR Carefully check through your install process, 1.7 props should have no issues in 1.11

I've been gone from KSP for quite a while.    A couple of years ago, Alexustas posted some YT videos of enhanced MFD's that use MAS.  (Like this one for example, 

My question is: Did any of these new MFD's get released into the wild?   I'd very much like to know, and sadly, Alex isn't on-line much any more.    Thanks!

44 minutes ago, nukeboyt said:

I've been gone from KSP for quite a while.    A couple of years ago, Alexustas posted some YT videos of enhanced MFD's that use MAS.  (Like this one for example, 

My question is: Did any of these new MFD's get released into the wild?   I'd very much like to know, and sadly, Alex isn't on-line much any more.    Thanks!

No, none of those MAS-enabled props were released anywhere, as far as I know. :(

I have an external camera part somewhere around here that was designed for MAS that will pitch and yaw based on the camera settings, but none of those awesome MAS-ready props ever made it into the wild.

13 minutes ago, MOARdV said:

No, none of those MAS-enabled props were released anywhere, as far as I know. :(

Too bad ;.;  Those MDV's would open up a whole new IVA experience.  I'd like to hope that he's still working on them (when time allows) and that someday they'll be released!