[WIP] [1.12.x] MOARdV's Avionics Systems - MAS Interactive IVA! (v1.3.7, 7 April 2023)

MOARdV

12 hours ago, I likeOxidizerrfuel said:

This is no work because when I installed with all dependencies, it didn't add the nice look IVAs. Moardv if you're reading this, please try to fix this issue. 

Please provide some information.

3 hours ago, InsaneDruid said:

As we have fc.SetBits and fc.ClearBits , will there be a fc.GetBits() function to check if a bit is set?  ATM I'm kinda thinking how to check otherwise, but as we don't have bitwise shift commands I am kinda stuck.

You can use fc.BitwiseAnd(value1, value2) - that returns zero or not-zero:

fc.BitwiseAnd(fc.GetPersistentAsNumber("persistent name"), value)

That's a simple enough statement that MAS can optimize it into IL, instead of needing to invoke Lua (meaning, it's fast to process).

So I want to make my Crew Dragon IVA better because right now it just sucks :D 
What kind of screens would you prefer if I would to use some of your screens? I haven't checked the mod out for a while so I'm not sure if you got the touch screens working already.

2 hours ago, damonvv said:

So I want to make my Crew Dragon IVA better because right now it just sucks :D 
What kind of screens would you prefer if I would to use some of your screens? I haven't checked the mod out for a while so I'm not sure if you got the touch screens working already.

Touch screens are fully supported by MAS.  I started working on some for Angel-125's KFS Flapjack cockpit, but I hit modding burnout before I finished them, so they didn't get added to the repo. I honestly can't say when I'll get a general-purpose touch screen MFD working - I spent a lot of time modding KSP, and not playing the game or working on other projects, so I'm currently enjoying taking a break from modding.

When I return to KSP modding, I want to get a reference TS MFD implemented.

To actually answer your question (sorry, I'm rambling today - finally got to use some long overdue vacation time, so I'm not too focused right now :) ) - if you need something off the shelf,  the IFMS group of MFDs is the most mature design I have.  You'll need at least one MAS_IFMS_MFD (this is the general-purpose MFD for information display and in-flight tasks), a MAS_IFMS_Terminal (this is the full-keyboard + display, for data entry and management), and maybe a MAS_IFMS_MainCompUnit somewhere (only need one). It looks like I remembered to make GameData/MOARdV/MFD/IFMS/README_IFMS.txt to sort-of document the prop family.

For a touch screen, if you want to try to tackle it yourself, I can put the incomplete KFS touch screens somewhere so you have something for reference.  I'd be more than happy to help out with setting up a general-purpose TS MFD, as long as I've got some feedback on what's needed and whether the design makes sense.  I think part of my burnout with IVA design is that I rarely get constructive feedback.

1 hour ago, MOARdV said:

Touch screens are fully supported by MAS.  I started working on some for Angel-125's KFS Flapjack cockpit, but I hit modding burnout before I finished them, so they didn't get added to the repo. I honestly can't say when I'll get a general-purpose touch screen MFD working - I spent a lot of time modding KSP, and not playing the game or working on other projects, so I'm currently enjoying taking a break from modding.

To actually answer your question (sorry, I'm rambling today - finally got to use some long overdue vacation time, so I'm not too focused right now :) ) - if you need something off the shelf,  the IFMS group of MFDs is the most mature design I have.  You'll need at least one MAS_IFMS_MFD (this is the general-purpose MFD for information display and in-flight tasks), a MAS_IFMS_Terminal (this is the full-keyboard + display, for data entry and management), and maybe a MAS_IFMS_MainCompUnit somewhere (only need one). It looks like I remembered to make GameData/MOARdV/MFD/IFMS/README_IFMS.txt to sort-of document the prop family.

For a touch screen, if you want to try to tackle it yourself, I can put the incomplete KFS touch screens somewhere so you have something for reference.  I'd be more than happy to help out with setting up a general-purpose TS MFD, as long as I've got some feedback on what's needed and whether the design makes sense.  I think part of my burnout with IVA design is that I rarely get constructive feedback.

Enjoy your well deserved holiday!

I am going to make a new IVA model soon. So only after that I will start thinking what I want on the screens. (I think I want 3 16:9 touchscreens with just a few buttons displaying fuel, navbal, maybe a map, some docking cam action, you name it. I don't want it to be super complicated.

But maybe in a week or 2/3 I can give you some more feedback on what I actually want and if it is possible to make such thing.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, slaintemaith said:

Is there a easy path to getting Kermantech's Mk3 IVA (A RasterPropMon IVA) compatible with this?

From looking at the screen shot, it looks like a number of those props already have MAS versions.  Those props could be updated with a Module Manager patch.  If you weren't looking for MFDs that had the exact same pages as RPM, then the MFDs could be replaced with one of the MAS MFDs.  As for an easy path, not currently - MAS needs a lot more RPM props converted before an MM patch could be written to upgrade every IVA from RPM to MAS.

13 minutes ago, MOARdV said:

From looking at the screen shot, it looks like a number of those props already have MAS versions.  Those props could be updated with a Module Manager patch.  If you weren't looking for MFDs that had the exact same pages as RPM, then the MFDs could be replaced with one of the MAS MFDs.  As for an easy path, not currently - MAS needs a lot more RPM props converted before an MM patch could be written to upgrade every IVA from RPM to MAS.

Thanks for the hasty response!

Okay, so the next question is: has anyone made a Mk3 IVA that's MAS compatible?

Edited by slaintemaith

6 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

Just to touch on that one, the "Mr. Glass" variant will work in current versions of KSP, but Full Retro will not. 

You will also need RPM for those ivas as well. 

On 12/24/2019 at 12:57 PM, MOARdV said:

I spent a lot of time modding KSP, and not playing the game or working on other projects, so I'm currently enjoying taking a break from modding.

I think part of my burnout with IVA design is that I rarely get constructive feedback.

When you return to KSP modding, I'd be happy and thrilled to help beta test. Also, re: IVA design, happy to give constructive feedback and I have worked both Support and QA at various SaaS companies, so I can write a decent bug report.

Tried to convert some props to MAS and got stuck with variables. Github wiki says nothing about variables initialization. If multiple props use the same persistent variable where should I initialize it? Or is it automatically initialized on the first use?

2 hours ago, Manul said:

Tried to convert some props to MAS and got stuck with variables. Github wiki says nothing about variables initialization. If multiple props use the same persistent variable where should I initialize it? Or is it automatically initialized on the first use?

fc.GetPersistentAsNumber always returns 0 if a persistent variable does not exist, which is equivalent to saying that the default value for a persistent variable is 0.

If you want a persistent variable to be initialized when the IVA is first started, use PERSISTENT_VARIABLES in the MASFlightComputer part module.  You may also initialize a persistent on a particular prop using fc.InitializePersistent(name, value) in a prop's startupScript field (or, you can run a Lua script in startupScript if you need to initialize multiple persistent values).

If multiple props use the same persistent variable, you probably want to use the PERSISTENT_VARIABLES initializer in MASFlightComputer. so that you are guaranteed the variable is initialized before any props see it.  Otherwise, every prop that may use the persistent variable will need to use startupScript with fc.InitializePersistent, so that you know it's initialized before first use.

Generally, I try to design props so that the persistent value of 0 is the default.  That way, if I forget to add PERSISTENT_VARIABLES to the part module (or someone else is using the prop to design their own IVA), the prop will still have a good starting value.  fc.InitializePersistent is a convenient way to initialize a persistent to a specific value when it's not used by multiple props.

Thank you. Now I see that my variables were initialized, i have just messed up with buttons colliders that's why nothing is working.

Is there no GPWS currently in MAS? I didn't find any GPWS-related props so I decided to make the switches but I'm not sure that GPWS itself isn't hidden somewhere within scripts or MFDs

• 2 weeks later...

So I was looking for RPM updates, and the thread sent here.
Is MAS the right choice for me?
I liked having all the little IVA screens for the cameras and the mod-control screens were awesome, but I usually got button-lost went I was doing things under any pressure and so RPM isa fairly low priority mod for me.
Looking at the OP, there seem to be very few 'ready-out-of-the-box' IVAs in the base version. There are a few floating around on this thread, but scrounging around for a complete set is too much effort for me atm.
I don't really have time to troubleshoot big problems either.

So is now a good time to make the upgrade? Have any of the RPM-enhanced mods already made the switch? Or would it be better to wait a while longer?

Edited by The-Grim-Sleeper

1 hour ago, The-Grim-Sleeper said:

So I was looking for RPM updates, and the thread sent here.
Is MAS the right choice for me?
I liked having all the little IVA screens for the cameras and the mod-control screens were awesome, but I usually got button-lost went I was doing things under any pressure and so RPM isa fairly low priority mod for me.
Looking at the OP, there seem to be very few 'ready-out-of-the-box' IVAs in the base version. There are a few floating around on this thread, but scrounging around for a complete set is too much effort for me atm.
I don't really have time to troubleshoot big problems either.

So is now a good time to make the upgrade? Have any of the RPM-enhanced mods already made the switch? Or would it be better to wait a while longer?

While MAS is (hopefully) the shape of things to come, there are not (to my knowledge) any MAS-only IVAs that match the full RPM+ASET experience across the board. I think some even may have a blend of MAS+RPM? :D

Additionally, RPM has now been adopted, and has had some version bumps and bugfix releases.

RPM+ASET cockpits are so much fun to fly in IVA, and they do drag the frame rates down, but it's nearly always a compromise I happily make.

• 3 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

@MOARdV Is there a spreadsheet or something that maps the ASET props to MAS props? I need to convert a IVA over to MAS. Thanks for all your hard work! :)

Unfortunately, no, there isn't.  That would have required a level of planning way beyond what I had at the start.  That, and I was using my own design aesthetic for a lot of the common things (action groups, etc) instead of alexustas's aesthetic.  By the time I realized that I desperately needed to organize the props better, and provide some documentation, there were over a hundred props in the MAS collection.

Once I *did* start getting organized, and I started converting props that were more straightforward, I tried to use the ASET name with "MAS_" prepended to it.  (eg, ASET_ALTIMETER_Adv -> MAS_ASET_ALTIMETER_Adv).

Documenting the props is one of the two big (and boring) components of what MAS needs right now, along with the conversion of the rest of the ASET props.  If I can ever find adequate motivation to slog through it, I will.  And that'll allow for a MM config that can magically convert RPM IVAs to MAS IVAs.

46 minutes ago, MOARdV said:

Unfortunately, no, there isn't.  That would have required a level of planning way beyond what I had at the start.  That, and I was using my own design aesthetic for a lot of the common things (action groups, etc) instead of alexustas's aesthetic.  By the time I realized that I desperately needed to organize the props better, and provide some documentation, there were over a hundred props in the MAS collection.

Once I *did* start getting organized, and I started converting props that were more straightforward, I tried to use the ASET name with "MAS_" prepended to it.  (eg, ASET_ALTIMETER_Adv -> MAS_ASET_ALTIMETER_Adv).

Documenting the props is one of the two big (and boring) components of what MAS needs right now, along with the conversion of the rest of the ASET props.  If I can ever find adequate motivation to slog through it, I will.  And that'll allow for a MM config that can magically convert RPM IVAs to MAS IVAs.

It's all good, I definitely appreciate the work you've put in. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I did not expect 1.9 to break any mods but it did. Cameras don't see nearby objects in 1.9

kY1my57.png

The same happened with RPM. Cameras don't see terrain, parts of the craft or other crafts.

Spoiler

These parts of a plane were visible in 1.8.1 when everything worked
GW2oC2R.png

Edited by Manul