[WIP] [1.12.x] MOARdV's Avionics Systems - MAS Interactive IVA! (v1.3.7, 7 April 2023)

MOARdV

1 hour ago, MOARdV said:

I'll add some additional verbose debug output to MAS and await your results.

awesome... i have some props (switches) that seem to be doing nothing, too... i dont know why...
moar detailed logging would only be a blessing, no matter how detailed/indepth...

I'll be looking for an update ;)

These are all props/cfgs of existing work... I'm mainly renaming/repathing stuff... so good chance its just some references I'm missing...
I'm gonna install/poke the originals again, to see if there was anything i missed in the originala, not working

Is it supposed to replace all legacy RPM screens with MAS screens, or not? 

I've been messing around with the VDS HullCams and trying to figure out why some cameras work and some don't (note: thanks for the monochrome filter, but are there any more options? It'd be nice to get the MAS screens to be IDENTICAL to what the VDS cams look like as some have different postprocessing effects and the cross overlay), and I noticed that I still have a ton of RPM screens mixed with MAS screens on my IVAs. The ALCOR pod, for example, is FULL BLOWN RPM, which is especially funny because MAS has specific screens literally titled "ALCOR MFD 1/2" on them.

PS: On the original point, there's a lot of VDS cams that aren't supported by MAS right now, and the ones that are, have no camera controls - I can move and zoom the cameras on RPM screens, but MAS screens don't work. Maybe this is supposed to be intentional on many cameras, but some make no sense (ie: pictozooms).

• WideAngleCam - Supported.
  • Pictozoom 1000/2000 - Supported.
  • ScienceCam - Supported. Honestly no idea what the point of this camera is it looks standard as any other camera.
  • NightVisionCam - Supported, w/ NV effect.
  • LaunchCam - Supported.
  • KerbPro - Supported. 
  • Kazzelblad - Supported, w/ monochrome and grain.
  • Aerocam std/180 - Supported.

• NavCam - Partial Support. On the MAS display it appears like a standard camera, but with low resolution. Controlling the camera shows it should be monochrome, with high amount of grain.
  • Boostercam Forward/Aft - Partial Support. On the MAS display it appears like a standard camera, but with low resolution. Controlling the camera shows it should have a cross reticle and a high amount of grain. May also have a yellow filter.

• RoverCam Night - Unsupported. NV effect should be identical to NVCam.
  • RoverCam Color - Unsupported. Should have a wide FOV.
  • TurretCam - Unsupported.
  • MunCam - Unsupported. Should have a cross reticle, low resolution, narrow FOV, and extreme grain.
  • Hazcam / Hazcam Superwide - Unsupported. Should have cross reticle, high resolution, and moderate grain. Note that 'super wide' even in default HullCam mod is... generous. It's not wide. May also have a yellow filter.
  • HullCameraDeluxe - Unsupported. Should be monochrome, low FOV, high grain.
  • Aerocam UP/DN - Unsupported. Should have cross reticle, high resolution, and moderate grain, and be angled up.

Edited by Frostiken

On 9/3/2022 at 11:15 AM, Stone Blue said:

I'll be looking for an update

Sorry I didn't get an update out.  I got wrapped up playing Stellaris (and finally getting the "won the game" achievement after several years of getting bored before finishing the game).  I'll try to get something out this week.

On 9/5/2022 at 3:28 PM, Frostiken said:

Is it supposed to replace all legacy RPM screens with MAS screens, or not? 

It currently replaces some RPM screens.  The MFDs are very involved to convert from RPM to MAS, since the config files are entirely different, so pretty much everything has to be converted by hand.  That's the main reason why the MAS prop conversion isn't done - I got burned out trying to get hundreds of props and several MFDs coverted.

On 9/5/2022 at 3:28 PM, Frostiken said:

PS: On the original point, there's a lot of VDS cams that aren't supported by MAS right now, and the ones that are, have no camera controls - I can move and zoom the cameras on RPM screens, but MAS screens don't work. Maybe this is supposed to be intentional on many cameras, but some make no sense (ie: pictozooms).

There's two things going on:

First, there is a patch of VDS cams that I made four years ago.  It covered the cameras that existed at the time, but it was a fairly generic.  Meaning most of the cameras had the very basics of "this is a camera, and it can zoom a little", but not anything else.  A few had effects added to the camera.  However, any cameras that were changed, or renamed, since that patch was done in 2018 will not be updated.

Second, MAS treats cameras differently than RPM.  In RPM, all of the camera controls are built into the MFD page (zoom, pan, tilt, and post-processing effects).  In MAS, the camera controls are built into the camera part - if the camera is not intended to pan or tilt, it won't.  If the camera has a fixed lens, and it can't zoom, it won't. If the camera is supposed to be an older black-and-white camera, then it'll always display noisy black-and-white images, no matter which MFD you use to view the image.

However, since I don't use VDS Hullcam, it's low on my own priority list.  If someone wants to update the VDS cam patch, I'll be happy to take a pull request. 

1 hour ago, MOARdV said:

Sorry I didn't get an update out.

Thats fine... I've been busy tying up some other stuff.
Also, I'm not quite sure what I did, whether it was removing the comments, or something else, but the MFDs I had issues with on the SUB_Page thing, seems to be fixed.
NOW,  all I get is some errors on the MFDs, and some other stuff, related to a line of lua in the Astrogator PAGE.

1 hour ago, MOARdV said:

SIt currently replaces some RPM screens.  The MFDs are very involved to convert from RPM to MAS, since the config files are entirely different, so pretty much everything has to be converted by hand.  That's the main reason why the MAS prop conversion isn't done - I got burned out trying to get hundreds of props and several MFDs coverted.

I know Vulkan submitted a ton of converted props a couple years ago that you merged. I've scrubbed the "new" ~185 props he converted, which i have permission to release, but I wanna scrub one moar time, just to make sure nothing is duplicated with what may already be converted/included, in MAS, ASET Props, and a couple other things.

I was planning on messaging you soon to talk about  this pack I'm putting together.

anyway, the point is, there are several MFDs converted, with several pages for popular mods already supported by RPM, possibly MAS... vOv

Also, of note, there *is* a basic Science MFD he "built"... Might save you a bunch of time, on tossing around the idea of starting one.
3ipslKt.png

Edited by Stone Blue

2 hours ago, MOARdV said:

Second, MAS treats cameras differently than RPM.  In RPM, all of the camera controls are built into the MFD page (zoom, pan, tilt, and post-processing effects).  In MAS, the camera controls are built into the camera part - if the camera is not intended to pan or tilt, it won't.  If the camera has a fixed lens, and it can't zoom, it won't. If the camera is supposed to be an older black-and-white camera, then it'll always display noisy black-and-white images, no matter which MFD you use to view the image.

However, since I don't use VDS Hullcam, it's low on my own priority list.  If someone wants to update the VDS cam patch, I'll be happy to take a pull request. 

What does it take to add new postprocessing effects/shaders?

On 9/7/2022 at 11:24 AM, Frostiken said:

What does it take to add new postprocessing effects/shaders?

Adding postprocessing effects to cameras would be done something like what you find here for the kazzelblad camera.  The camera modes are described on the wiki.  Follow the link on that page to Shaders to get a description of the shaders available in MAS.

I've released MAS version 1.3.5 on GitHub.  This is primarily a maintenance release to add more verbosity to MAS_PAGE and MAS_SUB_PAGE loading so it's possible to get a list of all of the MFD pages and sub-pages that MAS knows about.  I also refactored the MAS_PAGE loader to use a cached dictionary of pages, instead of searching the KSP game database every time for every page.  That should speed up the transition to the Flight scene for IVAs that contain MFDs (especially multiple MFDs, or complex MFDs).

On 9/12/2022 at 1:18 AM, Starseeker said:

Btw, has someone put together a list of IVA mods that feature MAS?

I have a couple of them listed in the first post, and I think the Reviva mod lists a few more, but I have not seen any other lists.  I don't think there are a lot of them, unfortunately.

If I can ever finish converting ASET props to MAS, I'll have a MM patch that will convert most RPM IVAs to use MAS, but there are still about 100 props and 2 MFDs that still need converted.

10 hours ago, MOARdV said:

I have a couple of them listed in the first post, and I think the Reviva mod lists a few more, but I have not seen any other lists.  I don't think there are a lot of them, unfortunately.

If I can ever finish converting ASET props to MAS, I'll have a MM patch that will convert most RPM IVAs to use MAS, but there are still about 100 props and 2 MFDs that still need converted.

I've got a list of every IVA mod I've found in the Reviva mod's README - it's the dependency list because I have it in mind to support *all* IVA mods by the year 2037 (perhaps sooner :-D). It lists if the IVA is RPM and/or MAS (some are guesses, so may be wrong).

https://github.com/harveyt/reviva/blob/main/README.md#dependency-summary

The new Ailex Mk1 Needle is MAS, and isn't on the list yet.

Edited by 610yesnolovely

• 2 weeks later...

Now has support for some more MAS IVA: Max-KSP's, SABS and even Snakeru's beta IVA (which is hidden away in a GitHub issue). Details in the above post. Bonus: BDB if installed has equivalent IVA for Mercury, Gemini, Apollo and LEM.

See https://github.com/harveyt/reviva/blob/main/README.md#support-progress for what IVAs are now supported in 0.7.6 - I've tagged those which use MAS, and also added "Best Realistic" and "Best Functional".

I'm definitely driven by my own personal career game - I just got to launching a Kerbal and wanted better BDB support for Mercury and Gemini. ;-)

Edited by 610yesnolovely

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, toxicgu23 said:

Thank you. Is the module set like this?

Didn't something go wrong?

It appears so. Maybe someone with more experience with the mod could provide a better answer. What can I say it's that what you experienced always happened in my gameplay on high g occasions (Or the loss of EC) and never in another instance.

6 minutes ago, Forked Camphor said:

It appears so. Maybe someone with more experience with the mod could provide a better answer. What can I say it's that what you experienced always happened in my gameplay on high g occasions (Or the loss of EC) and never in another instance.

Thanks again. I'm in the same situation as you.

44 minutes ago, toxicgu23 said:

There are some problems. Why does my dashboard flicker constantly when I fly my plane for high G maneuvers? When I reach a load of about 20G, the entire dashboard even goes out. Is this caused by a setting or an error?

It is caused by a setting.  The IVA can be configured to cause instrument malfunctions in high G maneuvers.  Instruments will also black out if the game is configured to simulate gLOC and the current Kerbal has passed out.

Since KSP allows the player to turn off g-force limits, I could change MAS so that this effect is only enabled when the limits are enabled, but right now it would require writing an MM patch to remove the setting from IVAs.

7 hours ago, Forked Camphor said:

谢谢!

@toxicgu23也许这会帮助你

Sadly, I tested it and it didn't change anything.

7 hours ago, Manul said:

You can turn it off by using this mod (if @zer0Kerbal makes it work with 12.3).  There is no need to worry about instrument malfunction when the whole screen goes black or red due to pilot malfunction :D

As you said, it does not apply to version 1.12.3;.;

9 hours ago, MOARdV said:

It is caused by a setting.  The IVA can be configured to cause instrument malfunctions in high G maneuvers.  Instruments will also black out if the game is configured to simulate gLOC and the current Kerbal has passed out.

Since KSP allows the player to turn off g-force limits, I could change MAS so that this effect is only enabled when the limits are enabled, but right now it would require writing an MM patch to remove the setting from IVAs.

Please provide the option to turn it off. When I replace the cabin high G alarm tone with a voice prompt, the whole voice cannot be played completely because of the power-off effect There is no sense of immersion!:P

Or how to set the trigger threshold value to reduce the alarm tone, so that the overload of the aircraft can be controlled to trigger the alarm tone before power failure?

13 minutes ago, toxicgu23 said:

When I replace the cabin high G alarm tone with a voice prompt, the whole voice cannot be played completely because of the power-off effect There is no sense of immersion!:P

If you don't want your custom props to malfunction just don't use fc.Conditioned()

https://github.com/MOARdV/AvionicsSystems/wiki/MASFlightComputer#power-disruption

Edited by Manul

1 hour ago, Manul said:

If you don't want your custom props to malfunction just don't use fc.Conditioned()

https://github.com/MOARdV/AvionicsSystems/wiki/MASFlightComputer#power-disruption

Unfortunately, I don't understand programming code. I can't find the location of this code in the MK1InlineInternal cockpit.:confused:

Edited by toxicgu23