[WIP] [1.12.x] MOARdV's Avionics Systems - MAS Interactive IVA! (v1.3.7, 7 April 2023)

MOARdV

@FoxFishKilo from what I can tell from your second log, it looks like your MAS installation may still not be correct.. You seem to maybe be missing at least one key MAS plugin: GameData\MOARdV\AvionicsSystems\AvionicsSystems.dll

Also, it looks like you are using a pretty old version of Module Manager... looks like you have v3.0.6 .. MM is currently up to v4.0.2, and there were many significan changes/fixes since 3.0.6

1 hour ago, Stone Blue said:

@FoxFishKilo from what I can tell from your second log, it looks like your MAS installation may still not be correct.. You seem to maybe be missing at least one key MAS plugin: GameData\MOARdV\AvionicsSystems\AvionicsSystems.dll

Also, it looks like you are using a pretty old version of Module Manager... looks like you have v3.0.6 .. MM is currently up to v4.0.2, and there were many significan changes/fixes since 3.0.6

@Stone Blue thank you for your response. I don't know how the old MM Version got into my installation. Of course I updated it now to v.4.0.2. Thanks!

The AvionicsSystems.dll you mentioned is indeed missing in my installation, but when I check the actual repository in Github, from where I just downloaded the new version of the GameData-Folder, it is also missing?

Did I missunderstand something in the overall Installation-Progress? (Copy MOARdV\-Folder out of the repository into the GameData-Folder?) Sorry for this strange sounding questions.

I appreciate your help guys.

7 hours ago, kurgut said:

Thanks, I realize that's was not my questionning, which is if I can have your mod in conjunction with a ASET modded iva (like mk1 pod stock one). I assume it's not possible, right?

Oh, my mistake.  You are correct - it is not possible today to have MAS and RPM modded IVA for the same command pod.  In the future, maybe it will be possible.

EDIT: @FoxFishKilo - as @Stone Blue says, the Avionics Systems dll is missing.  This is why MAS does not work.

Edited by MOARdV

4 minutes ago, MOARdV said:

Oh, my mistake.  You are correct - it is not possible today to have MAS and RPM modded IVA for the same command pod.  In the future, maybe it will be possible.

Thanks, no problem, I meant, with my Kerbal english, that my question was badly expressed, so it was my fault. :)

And yes, I tried and having both ASET and yours IVA doesn't work; for now I've created duplicates parts of those, changing the cfg accordingly so I can play both.

btw, do you plan doing the others Fasa iva s ?

Edited by kurgut

43 minutes ago, kurgut said:

btw, do you plan doing the others Fasa iva s ?

I plan to finish the FASA glass Apollo IVA.  I do not know what will be next.  I must find a command pod I like with an IVA that is good.

Just now, MOARdV said:

I plan to finish the FASA glass Apollo IVA.  I do not know what will be next. 

Yep, the Fasa glass Apollo is awesome (the best thing is having the choice between the two).

1 minute ago, MOARdV said:

I must find a command pod I like with an IVA that is good.

So Gemini :)

6 hours ago, FoxFishKilo said:

Did I missunderstand something in the overall Installation-Progress? (Copy MOARdV\-Folder out of the repository into the GameData-Folder?) Sorry for this strange sounding questions.

No problem. :)
Ah... that explains a lot. When downloading mods from Github, its always best to go to the releases page, rather than download from the green button on the main page for the repo. (that is for downloading the raw master)
The main page (and the package created from clicking that green button) usually only has the raw source files, and usually does not contain the compiled plugins.

On the main page, click the "Releases" link near the top... usually the newest version will be listed at the top of the page that opens... Make sure to click and download the first linked file for each specific version. They are usually called by the name of the mod or github repo, and usually include the mod version number in the filename.
Do *NOT* download the ones called "source".

Once you have the proper file downloaded, unzip/extract it, and then install the contents to your Gamedata. Standard convention is to have a GameData folder *in* the package. Just merge that with your KSP GameData, *or* open the GameData folder *in the extracted folder*, and copy everything listed in their and move it inside your KSP GameData folder.

Edited by Stone Blue

@Stone Blue Dude, you just taught a man how to fish! :D *Facepalm*  I had the systematical mistake, that I nearly always downloaded and installed the repo. This worked for 99% of my installed Mods. Would have never crossed my mind that this is the mistake. Thank you very much!

Lesson learned and I can report that the IVA is now fully functional. Thank you for the great support and in advance for this awesome mod.

See you in Orbit!

The MAS Science update v0.95.4 is now available.  This update, at very long last, provides support for KSP science features - Prop makers may now run experiments, transmit data, and all of that other science-y stuff.  Well, probably not *all* of that stuff - I'm pretty sure there are components of the science system that I missed.  Someday, maybe, I will try playing a non-sandbox game :P

Since science support was the main goal I set for myself as a "this needs to work before I declare MAS 1.0", I am now optimistic that maybe MAS will reach version 1.0 before it turns two years old.

Very nice IVA experience. I couldn't find MFDs (like in RPM) - are they implemented in this mod base package? Also, how can I switch to a certain docking port and display its' camera view for IVA docking?

2 hours ago, Horus said:

Very nice IVA experience. I couldn't find MFDs (like in RPM) - are they implemented in this mod base package? Also, how can I switch to a certain docking port and display its' camera view for IVA docking?

The current IVAs for stock parts that are shipped with MAS are all old-school designs.  The cockpit from Kerbal Flying Saucers uses the Gen 2 MFD, as does the MRK DM (although I'm not sure that MRK is still under development - it was originally associated with the Commonwealth Rocketry mod).  The glass Apollo in the MAS companion mod MOARdVPlus uses the integrated Gen 3 MFD, but the glass Apollo is still under development.

I haven't found a command pod in stock that I like well enough to give it a complete glass cockpit update - they all have quirks that make them challenging.  The Mk1-3 would be a candidate, but the IVA staggers the seat positions so two crew are sitting slightly behind the third, which makes prop scaling a problem.

In other news, MAS v0.96.0 is now available.  This update removes an obsolete feature, and it makes changes to some performance optimizations that should make them behave better.

Will it ever be possible for this to:

1: Be on CKAN?

2: Include the IVA interiors pre-built into the mod (the stock ones, e.g the cockpits)  or have some kind of sub-forum with all the mods using  this listed?

Thanks for any help and I'll be sure to download this mod soon!

2 hours ago, Horus said:

@MOARdV, is it possible to make 2 IVA configs for a command module and they depend on science tree progress? The MFD could be available later in game when necessary science tree node is open.

I've wanted something like this for years. 

3 hours ago, Horus said:

@MOARdV, is it possible to make 2 IVA configs for a command module and they depend on science tree progress? The MFD could be available later in game when necessary science tree node is open.

There was discussion a page or two back about a mod Electrocutor made that supports IVA switching as a part variant.  I have plans to see if I can incorporate that functionality with MAS.  I can see if it would allow for unlocking based on science nodes (I have not looked too closely at the functionality, so it may already do that).  So, I guess the answer is "Maybe it's possible?" :)

5 hours ago, mgzsman06 said:

Will it ever be possible for this to:

1: Be on CKAN?

2: Include the IVA interiors pre-built into the mod (the stock ones, e.g the cockpits)  or have some kind of sub-forum with all the mods using  this listed?

Welcome to the forum!

Regarding your questions,

1) I do not plan on supporting CKAN.  I am sure somebody will submit the metadata to CKAN at some point, but I don't have any interest in supporting CKAN-related issues. 

2) IVA interiors take a while to build (the Apollo IVAs I made have taken me 20+ hours designing and testing), and many of the stock IVAs are not well-made for placing props (the newer ones are somewhat better, but still not great).  I don't have a lot of interest in working around the IVA shortcomings, so I don't plan to make IVAs for the stock cockpits.  I would be willing to list MAS-enabled IVAs in the mod's README file as I discover the mods that are using MAS, and I am willing to include stock-replacement IVAs in MAS is other people are willing to contribute them (such as the Mk1 Lander Can that @snakeru made)

Edited by MOARdV
typo

I seem to be missing the altimeters in the stock mk 1 command pod. This is the second time I'm setting up a 1.6.1 install, didn't run into this the first time, and have no idea what I did differently this time, anyone have any ideas?

So I figured it out before I even posted this. Still posting for anyone else, as it wasn't immediately clear to me what I was doing wrong. You don't just need the ASET props pack, you also need the ASET avionics package:

https://spacedock.info/mod/1213/ASET Avionics

Hi @MOARdV

I'm trying to mod the stock (OK, OK, "making history" one) Mk2 pod (that's Squad's Gemini as I take it) and... I found your post above in this thread (Feb 27th). I now wish I found it earlier. The download links are removed from it though.

Do you think you would be able to share the gemini files (the one without digital monitors). I can try adopting it to the Mk2 pod.

5 hours ago, snakeru said:

Do you think you would be able to share the gemini files (the one without digital monitors). I can try adopting it to the Mk2 pod.

The release for the Gemini RPM is on GitHub - but it's for an older version of RPM, and I don't know if it would even work.  I just now copied my Unity file for Gemini onto DropBox, although I think you're better off opening the RPM IVA config in Unity instead of the unity file.

2 hours ago, Max-Ksp said:

With the "Science MAS update" we can create props to do science experience from the interior ?:)

Yes.  Most or all of the basic science functionality is now available in MAS (run experiments, transfer to containers, transmit experiment data).  I have not made props that use science, since I have been busy with other tasks, but I know at least one modder is making science props.

3 hours ago, MOARdV said:

Yes.  Most or all of the basic science functionality is now available in MAS (run experiments, transfer to containers, transmit experiment data).  I have not made props that use science, since I have been busy with other tasks, but I know at least one modder is making science props.

It's pretty cool ! We can accomplish mission in total IVA ! :)

@snakeruOh, You will release this? it's very nice :)