[WIP] [1.12.x] MOARdV's Avionics Systems - MAS Interactive IVA! (v1.3.7, 7 April 2023)

MOARdV

On 5/3/2019 at 4:30 PM, MOARdV said:

1. Not entirely.  There are currently three varieties of MFD in MAS - MFD1, which is supposed to be a Soyuz-styled MFD, which I haven't maintained in forever; MFD2, which is more-or-less complete; and the IFMS series, which is complete for launch / landing / maneuver, but still needs rendezvous / docking and some information pages.  The IFMS will be my development MFD going forward, since its letting me validate some multi-monitor designs (the "kOS" terminal with the keyboard is for planning / configuration, the conventional MFD is for data reporting and task-specific control).  However, I've been working on some non-KSP stuff lately, so I haven't finished the IFMS design.

2. No and not currently.  There is a monitor called the "kOS Terminal", since alexustas designed it for RPM with the expectation of kOS support that never happened.  The monitor is fully functional - all of the buttons send events.  I've never used kOS, and at the time I was looking into it, I had some unpleasant exchanges with one of the kOS team members, so I decided it wasn't worth my time.

3. MAS is designed to interact with other mods.  For some of them (commonly used, with stable interfaces), I've built support into MAS.  MAS can also use the same interfaces that RPM uses - the other mod needs to provide a couple of methods with specific signatures that MAS can call, and then MAS can send them button events and display text on a screen.  If that's what you mean by integrating, then it shouldn't be too painful.  If you mean letting another mod control MAS, it's not designed for that - it accepts collider events from props, and it can trigger events based on conditions of variables and functions it uses.  I could probably extend MAS to call public functions in other mods without a lot of difficulty.  I can go into more detail if you want to give me an idea of what you're looking at doing.

Where can i find the IMFS? 

On 5/26/2019 at 4:40 AM, Nucluer said:

Hi, I followed your installation instructions listed here: https://github.com/MOARdV/AvionicsSystems/wiki/Installation

and nothing is showing up in KSP (I'm using sock command pods) 

This is my file ksp game data file arrangement:https://imgur.com/S2rgsqL

Any advice? 

ASET Props are not in the correct folder.  Both ASET_Avionics and ASET_Props need to be in the ASET folder, like this

ASET +
     + ASET_Avionics
     + ASET_Props
MechJeb2
MOARdV
Squad
SquadExpansion

MAS can't find the props, because they're not where they should be.  Also, be aware that only a couple of stock IVAs are changed by this mod - the Mercury-alike Mk1 command pod, a very partial Mk1-3 command pod, and the Mk1 lander can.

On 5/26/2019 at 1:25 AM, etheric said:

Where can i find the IMFS? 

Which IVA?  Right now, the advanced FASA Apollo IVA in MOARdVPlus includes it, although the released version needs updated.  If you're looking for the props, they're near the bottom of the MAS collection in the PartTools menu

... And MAS v0.98.0 is now available for download.  There are some internal tweaks, including reducing the use of Lua for certain classic props.  Most of the major changes relate to this screen shot (with hint):

t1TDur.jpg

7 hours ago, etheric said:

Hey again, curious question. I have tried a slew of different command modules, but only have the basic MAS props, not the touchscreen props. Where can I get those?

Touchscreen props are not available yet.  I am working on a bespoke touchscreen system for the Kerbal Flying Saucers Flapjack cockpit that I hope to have ready for general use this summer (there is a lot more effort to configure touch screen MFDs, so it will take longer).  Once I'm happy with those, I'll probably look at a more general-purpose touchscreen MFD for a different command pod.

13 hours ago, MOARdV said:

Touchscreen props are not available yet.  I am working on a bespoke touchscreen system for the Kerbal Flying Saucers Flapjack cockpit that I hope to have ready for general use this summer (there is a lot more effort to configure touch screen MFDs, so it will take longer).  Once I'm happy with those, I'll probably look at a more general-purpose touchscreen MFD for a different command pod.

*different command pod* *cough* *dragon* cough*

14 hours ago, MOARdV said:

D R A G O N P L E A S E < 3 

1 hour ago, damonvv said:

*different command pod* *cough* *dragon* cough*

It's funny that you'd mention that ... :)

It'll be a while before I'm ready to start poking around with another IVA - working out design styles, and getting a toolkit of page sub-components that fit that style, and connecting the hotspots on the touchscreen to functionality all take a bit of time.  I'll take a look at the Rodan when I get closer, once I have a better idea of when I'll wrap up the Flapjack.

On 5/29/2019 at 2:50 PM, MOARdV said:

It's funny that you'd mention that ... :)

It'll be a while before I'm ready to start poking around with another IVA - working out design styles, and getting a toolkit of page sub-components that fit that style, and connecting the hotspots on the touchscreen to functionality all take a bit of time.  I'll take a look at the Rodan when I get closer, once I have a better idea of when I'll wrap up the Flapjack.

That would be awesome. I know the current version of the Rodan IVA looks blank. If you got any suggestions once you start on it feel free to ask!

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Galland1998 said:

Is RPM and this mod compatible on the same game install?  I was just wondering since this is supposed to be a replacement for RPM but I think some of the mods out there still have RPM as a dependency. At least  when doing CKAN installs anyways.

Yes, you can have MAS and RPM installed side-by-side.  I'm fairly certain there is (or maybe was) a mod out there that actually uses both at once (although I don't recommend IVA makers doing that).

• 2 weeks later...

This mod is the most amazing thing I’ve ever seen. I can’t believe I’m just seeing it now! Those Apollo era IVA’s are something I’ve been willing to kill over

Id legit pay someone to style all the stock command pods in an Apollo style. At least the Mercury, Gemini, Apollo, and LEM analogs

Edited by dylsh

• 2 weeks later...

I've now released MAS v1.0.0.  This update has one minor tweak to touch control functionality that allows any prop to be touch-aware (previously, only MFDs could take advantage of the advanced collider code).  MAS is functionally complete (or close enough - 3 years in development is plenty for a mod).  Future updates will round out a few things that aren't quite done, and hopefully support the new features in KSP 1.7.x.

I'm leaving this under Add-on Development because 1) I need to document the hundreds of props in this mod, so it is easier for people making IVAs to figure out which prop is which, and 2) I need to select a stock IVA that I can add MFDs to, so people can try out a MAS MFD without having to install an additional mod.  I might repurpose the Mk1-3.

57 minutes ago, dylsh said:

Is there anyway you can leave that beautiful Apollo IVA in addition?

The Apollo IVA from MOARdVPlus (the one for use with Bluedog Design Bureau, pictured below)?  That one isn't changing - it's a separate, advanced, IVA (bundled in a separate mod).  I'm talking about replacing the stock 3-Kerbal IVA that has some MAS controls.

ER5xCo.jpg

26 minutes ago, MOARdV said:

The Apollo IVA from MOARdVPlus (the one for use with Bluedog Design Bureau, pictured below)?  That one isn't changing - it's a separate, advanced, IVA (bundled in a separate mod).  I'm talking about replacing the stock 3-Kerbal IVA that has some MAS controls.

Yes I’m talking about the stock one. I suppose I will just download BDB. I’ve always been against it due to its very large part count. But then again, I just I could just keep the command pod, and delete the rest

2 hours ago, dylsh said:

Yes I’m talking about the stock one. I suppose I will just download BDB. I’ve always been against it due to its very large part count. But then again, I just I could just keep the command pod, and delete the rest

Ah, okay.  I guess the alternative is I figure out how to do IVA Variants so you can select the IVA in the VAB.  That would allow for a glass cockpit and a retro cockpit in the same part.  In either case, it'll be a while before I release the next update - I've got a lot of other (non-KSP) stuff that I need to get done before I create some more IVAs.

13 minutes ago, MOARdV said:

Ah, okay.  I guess the alternative is I figure out how to do IVA Variants so you can select the IVA in the VAB.  That would allow for a glass cockpit and a retro cockpit in the same part.  In either case, it'll be a while before I release the next update - I've got a lot of other (non-KSP) stuff that I need to get done before I create some more IVAs.

Well that idea sounds fantastic. I don’t expect a moderator to make changes for one guy though. But I do think others would appreciate it; the idea of progressing through technological advances in the course of the game. And for the command pod’s instrumentation to reflect that. 

Anyway..  good luck with your non KSP doings. And thanks for the speedy reply, and awesome mod?

ps Is there a list I’ve missed on which mods use your mod in them?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYyJFavTz0E&feature=youtu.be

If the plane flys bad it ain't the autopilot.. It's got (PLANE) issues..........

goal is to put most of the controls inside a KOS/MAS cockpit.. I am sure some are already in there, so no duplicate work..

My goals

1) FMC
2) Autopilot /with standard functions and some kerbalesque also..
 a) get there fast button and don't run outta fuel..
 b) fire up multi mode engine and burn as long as you .. don't run outta fuel
 c) various automation
3) Localizer Capture with KK.. ILS approach also..
4) What else?

So something to set altitude / vs, etc.. I suppose would be easy based on the launch button inside..

Same with angle and stuff.. I just dunno how to have a button send to KOS.. yet..