[WIP] [1.12.x] MOARdV's Avionics Systems - MAS Interactive IVA! (v1.3.7, 7 April 2023)

MOARdV

1 minute ago, MOARdV said:

I really, really need to document those props.  It is not obvious how to use them if you haven't spent (too many) hours playing with them.  Once you get the hang of the props, they're incredibly useful.  The ARRT, X-Pointer, and FDAI are enough to dock without a camera or external view.  When I'm inspired, I can write fairly good documentation.  The trick is getting inspired enough to do it. :/  I'll try to get something put together.

Also, I forgot to update one config in the release that will cause some MFDs to throw a fit and not work, so v0.92.1 is now released.  Maybe next time I'll remember to check the MFDs *and* the retro instruments before publishing. :)

Thanks for responding so quickly!

So I used the 1-3 pod and was just messing around after I had read the fdai guide (very nice btw) and I kinda understand the screen (forgot its name), I understand the Globe, the ag, chute and dock switches, I kinda get the radar (but ill have to muck around some more), but the switch with arrt and the respective dials are unknown to me...

Hello !

I have decided to work on IVA for the Lunar Module. What is the most interesting to develop MAS? The stock Lunar Module or FASA or another mod ?

I must use Mas props or Aset props ?

Is there a risk of conflict ?

Thanks ! :)

Edited by Max-Ksp

I dont even know if anyone has made a stock mem iva with so much as rpm, and tbh the stock is ugly.

10 minutes ago, Max-Ksp said:

I think too the Stock M.E.M. will interest more player.

It will be my first iva so that will take sometime.:)

Edit: For your second iva could you try the mk2?

Edited by Anders Kerman

19 hours ago, Anders Kerman said:

I kinda get the radar (but ill have to muck around some more), but the switch with arrt and the respective dials are unknown to me.

The radar control connects to the MASRadar module that is on a docking port or other part (I have MM patches for some docking ports, but not all).  When enabled and there is no current target, the radar will target the nearest vessel within its scanning arc automatically.  Its main feature, however, is that it will automatically target an available docking port on the target vessel once you are close enough (KSP limits that range to something like 200m).  Once a docking port is targeted, if MAS is told to use your docking port as a reference orientation, the FDAI can be used for docking port alignment.

The ARRT (Altitude / Range-Range Rate) instrument is based on an instrument in the Gemini program.  For KSP, it has two modes: Altitude, and Range-Range Rate.  In Altitude mode, it behaves like a radar altimeter and vertical speed indicator when you are below 5km above ground.  In R-RT mode, when you have a vessel targeted, it provides distance to target and relative speed (although not velocity - the speed will never be negative, so you have to also watch the range tape).

On 1/5/2019 at 10:53 PM, Max-Ksp said:

I think too the Stock M.E.M. will interest more player.

It will be my first iva so that will take sometime.:)

Hi @Max-Ksp

Please have a look at the Mk1LanderCan IVA that is included in the latest release of the MAS. Perhaps you can borrow a couple ideas from there (both in terms of what instruments to use and how to organize the .cfg files).

The only instrument that is present in ASET Mk1LanderCan and not in MAS Mk1LanderCan even though supported by MAS is the TV screen (the reason being that I considered it to be too high-tech for Mk1).

Edited by snakeru

4 hours ago, snakeru said:

Hi @Max-Ksp

Please have a look at the Mk1LanderCan IVA that is included in the latest release of the MAS. Perhaps you can borrow a couple ideas from there (both in terms of what instruments to use and how to organize the .cfg files).

The only instrument that is present in ASET Mk1LanderCan and not in MAS Mk1LanderCan even though supported by MAS is the TV screen (the reason being that I considered it to be too high-tech for Mk1).

Yes i have look at how iva works with the iva inclued in mas.

I have create an iva-patch to replace the stock iva without breacking it and I have start to place props in unity 

https://i.imgur.com/5s7Jh8g.png

I am inspired by the layout of the apollo lunar module

About this who can create two props ? like these :

https://i.imgur.com/INAvngr.png

Thanks !

Edit : https://i.imgur.com/Nck9Any.png  (I must delete the HUD on the left ? )

:)

Edited by Max-Ksp

5 hours ago, Max-Ksp said:

About this who can create two props ? like these :

This should be easy (well, maybe for me it is easy :) ).  It will use the ASET Digital Indicator emissive screen - look at the prop "MAS_DigitalIndicator_5char_ElectricCharge".  I will try to add the props this week.

6 hours ago, MOARdV said:

This should be easy (well, maybe for me it is easy :) ).  It will use the ASET Digital Indicator emissive screen - look at the prop "MAS_DigitalIndicator_5char_ElectricCharge".  I will try to add the props this week.

Thanks! :D

I haven't your mastery of the props development :D But I try to read your tutorial about this.

Edited by Max-Ksp

11 hours ago, Zapo147 said:

Is there a place where I can find IVAs that others have made with MAS? I'm getting my mods together for a 1.6 career and alexustas' stuff still works, but I'm curious about MAS.

At the moment, I think there are two other mods that have MAS IVAs: The WBI Flying Saucer mod and a space shuttle IVA (Ultimate Shuttle?) that either uses MAS or MAS and RPM.

On 1/8/2019 at 10:47 AM, Max-Ksp said:

Yes the 'ultimate shuttle iva' is a very complete iva with an old and a modern interior.(use MAS + RPM) 

Edit : new picture of mem iva ( sorry for the low resolution) : https://i.imgur.com/97RvRiP.png

I think is a little cheap i try to improve this :/

I like your layout. Please don't disappear.

On 1/8/2019 at 5:47 PM, Max-Ksp said:

Yes the 'ultimate shuttle iva' is a very complete iva with an old and a modern interior.(use MAS + RPM) 

Edit : new picture of mem iva ( sorry for the low resolution) : https://i.imgur.com/97RvRiP.png

I think is a little cheap i try to improve this :/

Oh wow that's awesome... can't wait to try it out...

Avionics Systems v0.93.0 is now available on GitHub.  This update includes a fix for the MAS Mk1 Lander Can interfering with the ASET Mk1 Lander Can, a number of other fixes, some enhancements to gimbal controls and info, a few other features, and the first steps towards adding support for science experiments in MAS.  And more props for the IVA makers (mostly modern, this time)

I always enjoyed doing stuff in first person with RPM, so I'm ecstatic to see a reworked version. I've noticed that not all of the stock IVA's have been made, so I decided to work on the cupola. This is what I've done so far. Notably, some of the MAS_IndicatorADVs's don't seem to be working, with no INITIALIZATION ERRORs in KSP.log. Any idea what's going on, or is it just known not to function?

4 hours ago, Trainzack said:

Notably, some of the MAS_IndicatorADVs's don't seem to be working

Those were some early props, and I really should remove them. :(   What I did when I was using those props was to use a second prop to cover up the caption - I think it was the MAS_DigitalIndicator_(name)Label props, like MAS_DigitalIndicator_SignalLabel.  It's not an ideal solution.

I like the prop, but the caption on the IndicatorADV (the label on the bottom of the prop) is part of a texture atlas, and there are a limited number of options available in the texture.  Adding new captions would require creating new textures with new captions, and that is a very inflexible design.  What would be ideal would be a new version of the prop that allows the caption window to be configured through MAS, but alexustas hasn't been around lately, so I'm not sure if that will happen.

If you can, see if you can use the MAS_IndicatorCircular props instead - they are much more configurable, and I have my prop configuration database updated to make it easy to generate new ones.

7 hours ago, Trainzack said:

I always enjoyed doing stuff in first person with RPM, so I'm ecstatic to see a reworked version. I've noticed that not all of the stock IVA's have been made, so I decided to work on the cupola. This is what I've done so far. Notably, some of the MAS_IndicatorADVs's don't seem to be working, with no INITIALIZATION ERRORs in KSP.log. Any idea what's going on, or is it just known not to function?

I like the design, especially the sticky note over the monitor. Also the grouping makes a lot of sense.

I would, however, remove props that are not related to doing experiments in orbit, namely these 5 toggles (in the order of decreasing priority): recover, stage, abort, gear and brakes.

The toggles on the right (stock ones) should probably also be removed/replaced, otherwise they don't quite fit into the new design. Dummy/made up toggles can be used if nothing useful is available.

Also, I noticed you have X-PTR instrument, but no ARRT. ARRT is invaluable addition to X-PTR for dockings. Also the monoprop gauge has to be somewhere around as well.

8 hours ago, MOARdV said:

If you can, see if you can use the MAS_IndicatorCircular props instead - they are much more configurable, and I have my prop configuration database updated to make it easy to generate new ones.

I've gone through and replaced most of them with the NASA gauges and the circular indicators, which both seem to work. Thank you for the advice!

6 hours ago, snakeru said:

I would, however, remove props that are not related to doing experiments in orbit, namely these 5 toggles (in the order of decreasing priority): recover, stage, abort, gear and brakes.

I want to make sure that the IVA can be used during ascent, as I imagine some people will use it like that. I am, however, in the process of re-configuring it so that those props have less prominence. 

The toggles on the right (stock ones) should probably also be removed/replaced, otherwise they don't quite fit into the new design. Dummy/made up toggles can be used if nothing useful is available.

Those were placeholders and have been removed.

Also, I noticed you have X-PTR instrument, but no ARRT. ARRT is invaluable addition to X-PTR for dockings. Also the monoprop gauge has to be somewhere around as well.

I've taken your advice and added the ARRT, and moved the RCS information and buttons closer to the X-PTR.

The most recent version can be seen here.

Also, how do I make the cabin lights dial functional?