[WIP] [1.12.x] MOARdV's Avionics Systems - MAS Interactive IVA! (v1.3.7, 7 April 2023)

MOARdV

13 hours ago, nukeboyt said:

What I'm really looking for is to be able to zoom in on those buttons and the bottom of the screen

Ah.  I never zoom in IVA (probably because my mouse doesn't have a scroll wheel), so it's never been a problem.  I'll see if I can adjust the IVA camera limits.

13 hours ago, nukeboyt said:

The "Next / Previous" buttons on the small monitor do not seem to function

I probably forgot to wire the buttons - I added a lot of new features for monitors in this release, and I started testing them on the new MFDs, and I kind-of forgot what I was doing with the old MFD.

I've been using this for a few hours and I do not see any problems with lag or poor performance.  It compares to other IVAs performance wise.

The navigation through the MFD2 screens is very complicated, but not too bad (this is rocket science, after all). :D

I have been unable to locate a screen that has the old "top-down" orbital display.   Will there be a MAS analog of this display for developers?

b4WkG2c.png

Edited by nukeboyt

4 hours ago, nukeboyt said:

I have been unable to locate a screen that has the old "top-down" orbital display.   Will there be a MAS analog of this display for developers?

Yes.  Although alexustas has already demonstrated that MAS is able to use RPM's orbit display through its RPM compatibility feature (take a look at some of the videos @Drew Kerman mentioned on the previous page).  But there will be a MAS-native version of it that should have a lower overhead (fingers crossed).

Hello, 

I love your mod actually I think it s one of the best present on KSP. Due to that I've been wanting to work with it on a capsule mod. Now that I've got time I'd like to begin to work on it. Here is the principle, you ve got some kind of different lvl of technology advencements, and i d like to link that to the tech tree. By making different capsul and plane cockpit according to the techn nod. (Also make it compatible with the career mod by increasing the price of the equipement).
Exemple: 

Basic capsule :

Mk1 Capsule with basic internals, analogic instrument

(I'm probably going to work with other mods like Corvus CF and Near future spacecraft first).

Basic Cockpit: 

MK1 cockpit with basic internal, analogic instruments

Advanced instrumentation: 

MK3 capsule with a glass cockpit. 

I still need to work on the tech tree aspect of the mod, but I ve got a pretty clear idea of how it's going to work. 
I'd like to know what you think about and if you allow me to do such a modification :) (Of course I need to contact other developpers if I want to include their mod in my project). 

5 hours ago, Donchielo said:

I still need to work on the tech tree aspect of the mod, but I ve got a pretty clear idea of how it's going to work. 
I'd like to know what you think about and if you allow me to do such a modificatio

MAS is close to feature complete, and it has stabilized a great deal over the last few months, so I think it would be okay to develop mods that use it.  There are a good number of older style props already converted to MAS included in the zip file, but there are plenty more in the ASET Props pack that have not been converted, since I have not needed them.

1 hour ago, InsaneDruid said:

Quick Question, where does the MAS_BITMAP_FONT definition go?

Tried to put it inside the PROP{}, outside of it, inside a MASComponent{}, inside a MASMonitor{}, inside the PART{}, every time it throws NullReferences...

Outside.  It's a top-level (global) node.  Although it looks like I haven't tested it in a while, so there's always the possibility something got broken.

EDIT: It looks like something I changed broke the MAS_BITMAP_FONT.  I'd recommend using one of the built-in fonts for the time being while I sort out the problem.

Edited by MOARdV

Just a bit OT: Your MAS_pb_Clock_KacMode Button (that is used to display if the stopwatch portion of your clock is in stopwatch mode or displaying  the countdown to the next KAC event) could use a display that is working regardless of the instrument backlights. For example, add some indicator dots like the other buttons use. As it is now, it doesn't show anything when the instrument backlights are turned off, loosing its whole function.

33 minutes ago, InsaneDruid said:

Just a bit OT: Your MAS_pb_Clock_KacMode Button (that is used to display if the stopwatch portion of your clock is in stopwatch mode or displaying  the countdown to the next KAC event) could use a display that is working regardless of the instrument backlights. For example, add some indicator dots like the other buttons use. As it is now, it doesn't show anything when the instrument backlights are turned off, loosing its whole function.

Yeah, those were some of the earlier props I put together, before I had settled on the design theme I used elsewhere.  I haven't gotten around to updating them yet.

Is there a (different) option to trigger more than one function on a collider event?  Like:

onClick = fc.SetTilt(0, 20),fc.SetTilt(1, 20)

I just wrote a small lua script that forwards the parameters and calls the setTilt function on both cameras.

3 hours ago, InsaneDruid said:

Is there a (different) option to trigger more than one function on a collider event?  Like:

Not at present.  Although, in your particular example, SetTilt returns the tilt setting that was applied, so in this specific case, you could do

fc.SetTilt(0, fc.SetTilt(1, 20))

since you're applying the same value to both cameras.

@MOARdV Do I understand correctly that MAS is intended to work with ASET (or vice-versa)? It sounds like MAS has its own set of controls but aren't fully fleshed out yet. Will they be an alternative to ASET?

Unrelated side question: Does MAS support external cameras? If so, how would I set one up? If there's documentation on that I'll happy peruse it. :)

Thanks for all your hard work! :)

Edit: I found the Wiki page, MAS does indeed support cameras. I may have question on how to set one up, but they're there. I want to create a cockpit with left and right cameras so the views appear on the monitors...

Edited by Angel-125

53 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Do I understand correctly that MAS is intended to work with ASET (or vice-versa)? It sounds like MAS has its own set of controls but aren't fully fleshed out yet. Will they be an alternative to ASET?

MAS does not include actual models for the props.  All it includes are config files. You will need to install the ASET Props pack to use MAS props (MAS uses MODEL nodes in the config files so it doesn't need a copy of the models).  MAS does not currently have a full set of props, because the ASET Props Pack has several hundred props, and I haven't needed all of them yet. :)

As for the cameras - there will be some big changes in the way post-processing for the cameras works.  The post-processing configurations will be attached to the cameras in an upcoming release.  This isn't going to affect you yet, but keep it in mind if you start looking at post-processing effects on the cameras.

• 4 weeks later...

Another big update.  v0.12.0 is now live on GitHub.  A few highlights: the official inclusion of the MRK DM from Commonwealth Rockets, many new features (including timewarp control and automatic maneuver node creation for basic orbital maneuvers), many tweaks to the MFDs (including maps for the Mun and Minmus for the orbital displays), support to interact with AJE propeller engines, lots of other little things I'm forgetting - check out the release notes at the GitHub link.

Oh, and a small request for help: the part modules and settings menu for MAS now support localization.  en-us is covered, but if anyone wants to provide translations for other languages, I'd appreciate it.  The English translations are here.

I've always used RPM, but alexustas's props have twisted my arm to branch out and try something new. So, do I just delete RPM & RPM Core, install MAS, and most things still work but everything is better?

I realise that's optimistic and a quick peruse through Github shows that MAS is not yet feature complete. Is it a good a time as any to switch from RPM to MAS anyway? What will I lose/break if anything?

Btw, thank you @MOARdV for the 100s of hours you've put in to this. I'm excited to finally try it out.

14 minutes ago, NeverCast said:

I've always used RPM, but alexustas's props have twisted my arm to branch out and try something new. So, do I just delete RPM & RPM Core, install MAS, and most things still work but everything is better?

I realise that's optimistic and a quick peruse through Github shows that MAS is not yet feature complete. Is it a good a time as any to switch from RPM to MAS anyway? What will I lose/break if anything?

Btw, thank you @MOARdV for the 100s of hours you've put in to this. I'm excited to finally try it out.

It's not quite that simple - if you remove RPM, then any IVAs made for RPM will no longer work.  MAS works for IVAs that were made for MAS - of which there are currently two available (both included in MAS).  Until IVA makers start using MAS instead of RPM, you will need to keep RPM to use the IVAs made for RPM.

MAS does the same thing that RPM does (allows you to play in IVA), but it has its own system for how that works, so the IVA has to be designed to use MAS instead of RPM.

BTW, ASET props use RPM by default, so most mods that use ASET Props are using RPM (this mod being the one exception at the moment).

16 minutes ago, MOARdV said:

It's not quite that simple - if you remove RPM, then any IVAs made for RPM will no longer work.  MAS works for IVAs that were made for MAS - of which there are currently two available (both included in MAS).  Until IVA makers start using MAS instead of RPM, you will need to keep RPM to use the IVAs made for RPM.

MAS does the same thing that RPM does (allows you to play in IVA), but it has its own system for how that works, so the IVA has to be designed to use MAS instead of RPM.

BTW, ASET props use RPM by default, so most mods that use ASET Props are using RPM (this mod being the one exception at the moment).

Thanks for the speedy reply,

I see that the Stock IVA replacements for ASET are RPM, however ASET Props supports both RPM and MAS, is this correct? Or is it more of MAS supports ASET Props, from a code and dependency perspective?

At this stage, it would be necessary for an artist, or even myself (not an artist) to put together an IVA for Stock & MAS, correct?

12 hours ago, NeverCast said:

Or is it more of MAS supports ASET Props, from a code and dependency perspective?

At this stage, it would be necessary for an artist, or even myself (not an artist) to put together an IVA for Stock & MAS, correct?

There are no code dependencies in this case.  ASET Props were designed using RPM, but I wrote different config files so MAS could use ASET Props.  So, yes, MAS supports ASET props, although the functionality in MAS does not require ASET.  Other props packs can likewise use MAS.  It just happens that I am quite familiar with ASET Props, and it is a high quality and complete collection of props, so I chose to use it.

I am no artist, and I put together the IVAs in the MAS package :) .  Yes, it would be necessary for someone to put together stock IVAs using MAS.  There are tutorials on how to do so (it involves installing Unity, adding KSP Part Tools, and some configuration work), but I didn't find them right away in a forum search.

20 hours ago, MOARdV said:

I am no artist, and I put together the IVAs in the MAS package :) .  Yes, it would be necessary for someone to put together stock IVAs using MAS.  There are tutorials on how to do so (it involves installing Unity, adding KSP Part Tools, and some configuration work), but I didn't find them right away in a forum search.

Seems I got confused along the way here. I'd assumed that the parts were included or they were already stock. The two IVAs you created, what mod are they from? I've seen mention of three different mods, some by you, some by others. It's unclear which is the correct package to download as time distorts most information. I presume that if a prop is not updated, it might work all the same across newer versions, unless there are major cfg or .mu format changes or something. 

3 hours ago, NeverCast said:

Seems I got confused along the way here. I'd assumed that the parts were included or they were already stock. The two IVAs you created, what mod are they from? I've seen mention of three different mods, some by you, some by others. It's unclear which is the correct package to download as time distorts most information. I presume that if a prop is not updated, it might work all the same across newer versions, unless there are major cfg or .mu format changes or something. 

Per both the documentation on this mod's GitHub page and the original post, there are two IVAs included.  One is for the Yarbrough Mk1-1A2 command pod, the other is for the Commonwealth Rockets MRK DM.  Links to both of those mods are in the OP.

37 minutes ago, MOARdV said:

Per both the documentation on this mod's GitHub page and the original post, there are two IVAs included.  One is for the Yarbrough Mk1-1A2 command pod, the other is for the Commonwealth Rockets MRK DM.  Links to both of those mods are in the OP.

Thanks! Somehow I missed it on the Github and OP and found it in a readme in the download. Forgive my selective blindness.

• 1 month later...

I have finally figured out how to build an IVA. I'm looking now into RPM and Avionic Systems to use them, but I'm confused (maybe not).

I was having a hard time trying to figure out where all the coding was for the props. I kept looking in the actual Command Pods folder and .cfg files. I looked through the ASET MK1-2 remake and Yarborough and then it occurred to me that perhaps it is in the ASET prop files themselves. I looked there and it appears as if it is indeed in the actual part folder. Am I right? Is it simply a drag an drop procedure if I use the Avionic supplied props with the Avionic mod installed (to include using ASET props with RPM installed)?

Edited by nightstalker101s
Clarification