[WIP] [1.12.x] MOARdV's Avionics Systems - MAS Interactive IVA! (v1.3.7, 7 April 2023)

MOARdV

13 hours ago, Alex33212 said:

So, this lists the ASET prop packs as dependencies, and those list RPM as a dependency. My guess is that they're dependencies for their models and not their actual functions, so RPM isn't a dependency of this mod, but perhaps you should make that a bit more clear?

Correct - MAS needs the models, but not RPM.  I will clarify that detail.  Thanks for bringing it up.

Hi @MOARdV, the mod is awesome in how much game data is available to get in front of a user. Just wondering how developed the back end calculations are? I've spent the last week scanning the available variables and it looks as extensive as RPM and didn't see anything I couldn't think of.

Are there any areas of calculations that still need work or that you would consider 'missing'?(outside of external proxies mods) 

Or is the focus now purely IVA, asset creation seeing as existing calcs are already done.

Edited by wile1411

Most of the calculations are done.  There are a few more elaborate equations that would be nice (but I'd need to dig through notes to find them), but most of the effort right now is

1) Getting one or two stock modern IVAs developed enough to use as showcases, so people aren't forced to install mods to see MAS functionality.

2) Documenting the many props I've converted to MAS.

3) Trying to write ModuleManager scripts that can replace RPM props with MAS props (which also means creating MAS versions of every RPM prop , which also, also means it'll probably never happen, because that's a few hundreds hours of effort if everything goes well).

I have the software for the Soyuz-TMA spacecraft, I want to transfer it to the screen of the Neptune-ME virtual console to display the necessary parameters. How can I rebuild it for PCB? I have a Union program, as well as a communication program in which I can set up communications with variables in the display of Neptune. How can I display it?

Just wondering if there was any plan / possibility to get visibility over the resource harvesting and ISRU modules while in IVA? Checking GitHub I couldn't find anything from RPM or MAS that references the resourceharvestorModule.

I figure that in game, the game play element is mainly controlled via action groups, but there isn't anything visible in the cockpit or MFD to indicate where things are at. Eg power draw from drills and ISRU, drill efficiency, resource quality data from scanner. I think I remember I can get the resource quantity from the resource page, but that's about it.

Or are those elements just not conducive to easily grabbing the data / not interesting for IVA view.

Edited by cyberKerb

6 hours ago, cyberKerb said:

Or are those elements just not conducive to easily grabbing the data / not interesting for IVA view.

Actually, it's because I've never used the ISRU features in the game, and the IVA developers who've requested features in MAS (or RPM, for that matter) never asked about any of it.  I think you may be the first person who's asked me about it. :)

I can certainly take a look at those modules and see what info I can get from them, and what control over them MAS can provide.

3 hours ago, MOARdV said:

Actually, it's because I've never used the ISRU features in the game, and the IVA developers who've requested features in MAS (or RPM, for that matter) never asked about any of it.  I think you may be the first person who's asked me about it. :)

I can certainly take a look at those modules and see what info I can get from them, and what control over them MAS can provide.

I ask mainly as I love the look of the power MFD page! Great work on that design. It did however make me curious what was using the power that was being generated.

17 hours ago, KerBlitz Kerman said:

Is ASET supported?

MAS requires the ASET Avionics pack and the ASET Props pack.  Many (but not most) of the props from those two packs have MAS equivalents.

If you're asking about the IVAs that alexustas made (the Mk1-2 command pod, the ALCOR lander), no, those are not supported by MAS.  Those IVAs were created for RasterPropMonitor.

2 minutes ago, MOARdV said:
17 hours ago, KerBlitz Kerman said:

Is ASET supported?

MAS requires the ASET Avionics pack and the ASET Props pack.  Many (but not most) of the props from those two packs have MAS equivalents.

If you're asking about the IVAs that alexustas made (the Mk1-2 command pod, the ALCOR lander), no, those are not supported by MAS.  Those IVAs were created for RasterPropMonitor.

So are you saying that RPM and MAS conflict, or just that MAS doesn't interfere and/or replace RPM modules?

I'm just curious about whether I can add MAS to my game independent of RPM or if they'll conflict.

13 hours ago, KerBlitz Kerman said:

So are you saying that RPM and MAS conflict, or just that MAS doesn't interfere and/or replace RPM modules?

I'm just curious about whether I can add MAS to my game independent of RPM or if they'll conflict.

Well, there was at least one mod that used both RPM and MAS in the same IVA, but I do have to wonder what would happen if the both had separate IVAs for the same cockpit / pod / whatever ...

23 hours ago, KerBlitz Kerman said:

As @Warhorse said, there's already a mod that uses both in the same IVA.  MAS is completely independent of RPM by design.  You can have both installed, and RPM IVAs will use RPM, MAS IVAs will use MAS, and hybrid IVAs will use both.

9 hours ago, Warhorse said:

I do have to wonder what would happen if the both had separate IVAs for the same cockpit / pod / whatever

I think it depends on what order the MM scripts are executed, and how they were written.  KSP allows only one IVA per part, so whichever patch replaces the IVA last would be the one that wins.

On 8/29/2019 at 5:10 AM, Acid_Burn9 said:

What should i do with PropConfig.zip?

If you're planning on mass producing props, and you want an automated tool to do most of the config file writing, keep it and look up the instructions on the wiki (and then ask me questions, since I probably did not do a good job writing instructions for it).

Otherwise, feel free to delete it.  It's a tool to simplify creating many, many ASET props that are visually similar without having to copy/paste/edit entire config files.

Hi @MOARdV, just playing around in IVA (RPM and MAS) just wondering if the DSKY button for 'LNCH' time ever did anything? I'm trying to find the old code where it was used, only because I have a recollection it used to give you the launch countdown time to make a transfer to a vessel in orbit. (I might be wrong though - I thought I looked it up at one point)

At the moment the lua script just sets it to timer mode 5 and the subroutine for dskyTimerModeLaunch permanently returns '0'. I figure I'm missing something trying to interpret the code, or there another piece of lua code in a different repository I should be looking at?

Edited by cyberKerb

12 hours ago, cyberKerb said:

just wondering if the DSKY button for 'LNCH' time ever did anything? I'm trying to find the old code where it was used, only because I have a recollection it used to give you the launch countdown time to make a transfer to a vessel in orbit. (I might be wrong though - I thought I looked it up at one point)

Oh, yeah.  I forgot to implement the underlying code for that in MAS :blush: .  LNCH is supposed to display the time for launch-to-rendezvous (for low inclination targets) or time for launch-to-plane for higher inclination targets.

I've added a reminder issue to MAS for when I've got time to add some more functionality.

18 minutes ago, MOARdV said:

Oh, yeah.  I forgot to implement the underlying code for that in MAS :blush: .  LNCH is supposed to display the time for launch-to-rendezvous (for low inclination targets) or time for launch-to-plane for higher inclination targets.

I've added a reminder issue to MAS for when I've got time to add some more functionality.

Thanks for that. Was the code in an old version or RPM I can reference / check out?

6 hours ago, cyberKerb said:

Thanks for that. Was the code in an old version or RPM I can reference / check out?

If memory serves, the RPM code was lifted from MechJeb's ascent autopilot code.  Which is also the reason I hadn't implemented it in MAS - MechJeb's license is incompatible with MAS.

Is there a list of mods that support this anywhere? I really love hte idea of IVA's and wanna get a more immersive experience. I am trying to figure out which is better right now for the mods I use, MAS or RPM?

Looks like RPM supports all the mods I wanna use but I am seeing some issues in there forums and since it is not supported I am hesitant to use it. 

11 hours ago, MOARdV said:

If memory serves, the RPM code was lifted from MechJeb's ascent autopilot code.  Which is also the reason I hadn't implemented it in MAS - MechJeb's license is incompatible with MAS.

Ah thanks! That pointed me to exactly what I was after. The RPM evaluated "TARGETLAUNCHTIMESECS" value uses MechJeb function 'TimeToPhaseAngle' with an angle of 12.7

I found my requirements for that button to work:

timer mode 5 (LCH button)
      vessel is landed at KSC and in prelaunch
source mode 2 (TGT button)
      target exists
and if using ALCOR (must have power)

I coded my DSKY launch button with the old RPM/MechJeb code, did a rough launch and got within 3.7k of the target by the time I got to the other side of booster bay - which is a first for me to meet up in less that an orbit. Works great and I wasn't really trying to get 'close'!

Bringing it back to a MAS specific context - I can see you already have a MAS equivalent 'TimeUntilPhaseAngle' function under the MASItransfer Proxy. Looks like you're a good way there already.

Love the work! look forward to it when you get to it. 

7 hours ago, bobisback said:

Is there a list of mods that support this anywhere? I really love hte idea of IVA's and wanna get a more immersive experience. I am trying to figure out which is better right now for the mods I use, MAS or RPM?

The list in the OP is all of them that I know of for sure.  There simply are not many - IVA creation is a lot of work, and I have not imported all of the props from RPM into MAS.

How hard are they to make? Guessing it is editing a text file, loading game checking it, and testing it, then raise and repeat?

How do you position the items in the cockpits, do you literally give it a xyz position for each element. Or is that simplifying it? 

I have heard it mentioned converting the RPM stuff to MAS. I am guessing this would be making a patch that looks for RPM parts/props and inserts in a MAS equivalent? How hard is this compared to making them new? Would this be the only way to get existing RPM mods to work with MAS?

I do programming for a living so trying to size up how easy/hard it would be to do this stuff, maybe I can help out. 

10 hours ago, bobisback said:

How hard are they to make? Guessing it is editing a text file, loading game checking it, and testing it, then raise and repeat?

How do you position the items in the cockpits, do you literally give it a xyz position for each element. Or is that simplifying it? 

I have heard it mentioned converting the RPM stuff to MAS. I am guessing this would be making a patch that looks for RPM parts/props and inserts in a MAS equivalent? How hard is this compared to making them new? Would this be the only way to get existing RPM mods to work with MAS?

I do programming for a living so trying to size up how easy/hard it would be to do this stuff, maybe I can help out. 

Making IVAs - They're not hard, really.  They're time consuming (for me, at least) because I spend a lot of time flying the cockpit and tweaking the layout of the instruments so they're sensibly arranged for use, instead of sprayed into the cockpit like someone shot it with a shotgun full of switches and knobs.  It's not even editing a text file - you install the free version of Unity, the KSP Part Tools, and get that configured (that is the hard part).  After that, you load the IVA you want to edit into Unity, and you have a visual tool that allows you to position props, rescale them, copy/paste them, etc.

Converting RPM to MAS - MAS is (by design) a completely different mod, so every single RPM prop needs to be re-written using MAS config syntax.  I wrote a tool to automate the tedium, but it still needs input files written to tell it what to spit out.  Once there are MAS versions of all of the RPM parts that are being used, then it's a case of writing a Module Manager mega-script that replaces each RPM prop in each IVA with the MAS equivalent prop.  Instant upgrade.

None of it is hard - it's time consuming, and parts of it are tedious, and that's why I keep putting it off. :)

Wow the process for making IVA's is much more streamlined than I expected. Doing it in unity makes life much easier then what I was expecting. 

Cool I might take a stab at this in the near future. Though I just learned today that VR does not play well with the RPM stuff :( so laggy

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/21/2019 at 7:00 AM, MOARdV said:

Oh yeah, ISRU controls would be sweet. I just never thought of it, because I hardly ever unlock those parts before a new version of KSP comes out and I restart my career.