[KSP 1.12.3] Astronomer's Visual Pack - Beyond (v4.13 - July 17th, 2022)

themaster401

2 hours ago, themaster401 said:

Looks like you installed the textures wrong (texture files are present in AstronomersVisualPack/EVE rather than AstronomersVisualPack/EVE/Textures) and installed an older version rather than the latest. Correcting those two problems should do the trick. Everything else looks fine.

It was the textures.  Thanks for pointing it out!  I had the wrong version.  I thought they were current but I guess I was wrong, downloaded them at the end of March, must have been right before an updated pack was released.  Thanks a bunch!

2 hours ago, Acirassi said:

hey man did you steal the textures or something? some guy on reddit posted it and i wanted to make sure. link

Look at the same reddit thread you linked and read the top comment showing a brief analysis between the two from gthaatar.  While it's perfectly conceivable and common for two different mods to use the same NASA images (which are public domain), it's highly unlikely that the edits are taken from another mod due to the subtle differences between the two.  It's a cloud map.  They both look great.  I don't believe there's much customization to be done with it short of stamping a watermark on it, which nobody wants to see.

Edited by Barklight

3 minutes ago, Barklight said:

Look at the same reddit thread you linked and read the top comment showing a brief analysis between the two from gthaatar.  While it's perfectly conceivable and common for two different mods to use the same NASA images (which are public domain), it's highly unlikely that the edits are taken from another mod due to the subtle differences between the two.  It's a cloud map.  They both look great.  I don't believe there's much customization to be done with it short of stamping a watermark on it, which nobody wants to see.

Indeed. Ultimately without significantly changing the shape and orientation of the clouds there is simply no way for these clouds to be used by multiple modders and not look the same. 

On 4/11/2018 at 4:02 PM, Nate2k said:

FYI, for CKAN to show the proper version order, the version number needs to be updated to 3.70 instead of 3.7.  It sees 3.63 as a higher version number.

Could also consider changing to a version numbering system like 3.7.0 and 3.6.3.

As of a few minutes ago, CKAN will be getting this mod's version from the .version file instead of the GitHub release number, so this should no longer be a problem.

2 hours ago, SpaceFox25 said:

I don't know if it's okay to post this but I made two videos showing what I do to download and install visual mods for KSP to combine them and have what I think is the best experience. AVP being the most important. In case anyone needed help.

KSP Visual Guide Part 1

KSP Visual Guide Part 2

Heh, saw these videos before you posted them here, actually.
Admittedly, I will not be able to support Frankenstein installs like this :( It's a pain to dissect a bugged modded install already, but even more so when it's something no one is used to diagnosing and troubleshooting.

Spoiler

ctwAiiH.png

YBGe8J0.png

NvZUKOJ.png

mgxcjDw.png

@themaster401 ^^ Idk if you ever navigated to my album, but this is essentially what I mean by a bit more empty space. A bit more of whats in here in places will go a long way I think.

pAXFu34.png

Some Screenies from 43k.   Do note that my build is also a Frankenstein of AVP-43k, Spectra, SVE, and KSPRC. So your results may vary. 

On 2018/4/19 at 11:29 AM, themaster401 said:

43k Kerbin clouds.

I don't know what niche partition of the KSP community would like to fiddle with such high resolution clouds, but they're now available.

unknown.png

Pros: Sharp, no texture repetition, performance impact is not too different from 8k
Cons: Your system will suffer.

Credit to NASA for their 43k "Blue Marble" Earth cloud rendition.

Download in the OP.

That's great!

Edited by Kerbin's Bill

Tried out the 43k cloud pack for a day and keeping it. I don't really see performance impact, it is still the volumetric clouds that sucks most of my performance. I play on a nvidia 970 and was worried that push me over 3.5 gB, which last 0,5gB is slow memory. With AVP I peaked at 2,2 gB video memory at 1440p resolution with launch to LKO with a 200 part craft. I am still severely CPU limited as 10 fps is normal for me with 200 part craft launch. For the system ram, I got so many mods so I can't honestly measure accurately as it can be between 10gB to 14 gB system ram.

I compared to the standard 8k AVP texture pack with 43k one. I didn't see any difference in fps. I deactivated the volumetric clouds and still no difference between the two texture packs. I am happy with 30fps during flight, and 60fps when I build crafts in SPH and VAB. I am happy with 30fps 1440p in flight, so I tweak stuff so KSP is at 35fps with the volumeteric clouds. But rarely do I experience my cpu can feed my gpu those desired frames. 

Overall my evaluation is kinda useless as I mostly limited by my cpu, a old AMD FX 8350. Which poor singlethreaded performance limit the overall fps in this game. Computer built for cheapest multithread performance at the time. As I mostly do video rendering and alpha testing of office software.

Edited by Sunesha

YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!

Oh my god thank you so much. I’ve waited years for this to be updated. I love you.

Can anybody explain the issues I'm seeing here? I first installed manually. I've tried installing through CKAN. Both methods were also attempted on fresh installs and also on another system. My results were exactly the same regardless of which process I used.

What I'm noticing:

- Black band across horizon

- Ground is reflecting as if it was water

- Strange sun flare

https://imgur.com/a/bhkcJg8

Edit: Apparently this is caused by scatterer. It does not agree with having AA disabled.

Edited by dkmann1987

I'm having an issue with installation that I'm hoping one of you guys can assist with: I'm installing through CKAN and it won't let me install because it says it conflicts with "Environmental Visual Enhancements - Low Resolution 7-4 (KSP 0.25 - 1.0.4).
The problem is... I don't have that installed. I have EVE with it's basic High Resolution config pack, but I don't have the old low-res version and haven't for a long time. CKAN seems to think I do... Any of you guys run into this? I even tried to remove EVE, Stock Visual Enhancements and Stock Visual Terrain entirely, then install Astonomer's, and it lets me pick and choose my config files for scatterer, etc, as if it was going to work... only to end up right back at pic-related. Halp! Example here: https://imgur.com/a/8vnexI9

Edited by Kardea

3 hours ago, Kardea said:

I'm having an issue with installation that I'm hoping one of you guys can assist with: I'm installing through CKAN and it won't let me install because it says it conflicts with "Environmental Visual Enhancements - Low Resolution 7-4 (KSP 0.25 - 1.0.4).
The problem is... I don't have that installed. I have EVE with it's basic High Resolution config pack, but I don't have the old low-res version and haven't for a long time. CKAN seems to think I do... Any of you guys run into this? I even tried to remove EVE, Stock Visual Enhancements and Stock Visual Terrain entirely, then install Astonomer's, and it lets me pick and choose my config files for scatterer, etc, as if it was going to work... only to end up right back at pic-related. Halp! Example here: https://imgur.com/a/8vnexI9

Manually install this mod. CKAN is known to mess things up sometimes. Firstly, you DO NOT need SVE for this. In fact if you have both, you will have more clouds than you will need. Anyways, install the EVE plugin itself. Not the configs, as AVP is it's own config. Then, install AVP. Make sure you don't have other visual packs like SVE or Spectra.

20 minutes ago, nasacraft18 said:

Whenever I try to play with this mod and its dependences, I get this weird (I think it's a shader) artifact. Album has some examples of it in the menu. It is also present in flight.

Album https://imgur.com/a/TyFuQWc will appear when post is submitted
KSP.log here

It kinda of looks like the same problem 4 posts above yours. It must be a Scatterer problem and apparently, it has to do with the Anti-Aliasing setting

That new trailer looks and sounds incredible :) Question though, did you get permission from @Proot to use his planet textures? His license doesn't allow for redistribution so in Spectra I had to include instructions to install them separately :P If you're able to include them though I might see about doing so in Spectra too ;)

Edited by Avera9eJoe

Is there a way to reduce the opacity of the cloud layer? It's hard to see land, to know where say, the KSC is.

Also, map view seems to ignore increased ambient brightness, leaving the dark side of a planet completely dark. Any way to increase that? Ambient increase works in standard view.

Edit:

I was able to reduce the cloud layer and see land by opening kerbin1.dds in paint.net and making the layer more transparent.

Now to raise ambient light in map view...

Edited by beomagi

Hello Mr. themaster401 and your lovely alliance of wizards,

Thanks for your astonishing work! I've been desperately trying to install this mod on my rig (i5 7500, 960 GTX, 8Gb RAM), via CKAN on windows 10 on KSP 4.2. I started with the lowest setting (2K) but every time I reach the main menu, as the background kerbin loads, my screen goes black-and I have to restart my computer-meaning no output log. Is my machine not beefy enough? Is there another issue?

Thanks in advance..

On 4/26/2018 at 5:54 AM, beomagi said:

Is there a way to reduce the opacity of the cloud layer? It's hard to see land, to know where say, the KSC is.

Also, map view seems to ignore increased ambient brightness, leaving the dark side of a planet completely dark. Any way to increase that? Ambient increase works in standard view.

Edit:

I was able to reduce the cloud layer and see land by opening kerbin1.dds in paint.net and making the layer more transparent.

Now to raise ambient light in map view...

You didn’t have to change the texture yourself. You can open up the cloud config or EVE menu and manually change the transparency.

9 hours ago, Elon's Musk said:

Hello Mr. themaster401 and your lovely alliance of wizards,

Thanks for your astonishing work! I've been desperately trying to install this mod on my rig (i5 7500, 960 GTX, 8Gb RAM), via CKAN on windows 10 on KSP 4.2. I started with the lowest setting (2K) but every time I reach the main menu, as the background kerbin loads, my screen goes black-and I have to restart my computer-meaning no output log. Is my machine not beefy enough? Is there another issue?

Thanks in advance..

Do you have all the dependencies? Are you running KSP_64? Your machine is capable of running 8k textures. There’s definitely something wrong on your end.

Do you have all the dependencies? Are you running KSP_64? Your machine is capable of running 8k textures. There’s definitely something wrong on your end.

I figured it out... I'm playing on an ultrawide, and for some reason when I switched the game resolution to widescreen (1920x1080) astronomer's pack started working like a charm. Either KSP has trouble on ultrawide res or it demands much more from the GPU.

Edit: the lower resolution setting is a little better on the GPU, but the real problem was my power supply. If you have an 'extreme gear' power supply throw that thing out the window before it fries your components.

Edited by Elon's Musk