[KSP 1.12.3] Astronomer's Visual Pack - Beyond (v4.13 - July 17th, 2022)

themaster401

6 hours ago, 1990eam said:

Does this mod modify how the atmospheres work? Or just how they look?

I'd like to know if it's compatible with the mod called Realistic Atmospheres.

This mod only modifies how they look. Realistic Atmospheres shouldn't cause any problems with this.

On 4/10/2017 at 9:33 PM, Starfire70 said:

@themaster401 Is there anything I can do for you to help figure out the lightning frequency issue?

I've been able to reduce the frequency of lightning occurrence (at least apparently) by manually editing lightning.cfg  ( GameData\AstronomersVisualPack\EVE\lightning.cfg )

Specifically, you need to modify  " _MinLight" values for each planet. The default value is 0.5, so reduce it to 0.2, for example, and you'll be fine. 

You can also play around with  "detailSpeed" values, which affect the animation speed of lightning. I set mine at 0,350000,0 and I'm happy with the result.

Hope it helps.

12 hours ago, Hardcard said:

I've been able to reduce the frequency of lightning occurrence (at least apparently) by manually editing lightning.cfg  ( GameData\AstronomersVisualPack\EVE\lightning.cfg )

Specifically, you need to modify  " _MinLight" values for each planet. The default value is 0.5, so reduce it to 0.2, for example, and you'll be fine. 

You can also play around with  "detailSpeed" values, which affect the animation speed of lightning. I set mine at 0,350000,0 and I'm happy with the result.

My _MinLight defaults were at 1...lowered them to 0.4 and it is MUCH better, thanks!

Also was aurora always showing up on the dark side (I noticed that it doesn't on Duna, but does on Laythe and Kerbin (below))?
Either this is new or the aurora look better and/or more vibrant.

OAPTJnb.png

10 hours ago, Starfire70 said:

My _MinLight defaults were at 1...lowered them to 0.4 and it is MUCH better, thanks!

Ooops! My mistake, ^^

Yep, I seem to recall that _MinLight defaults were set at 1 initially (forgot I had lowered them to 0.5).

As for the auroras, they should show up specially on the dark/night side, since there's far less atmospheric sunlight scattering going on (if any). 

Remember that auroras are created when high energy particles coming from a star "penetrate" a planet's magnetic field through its poles and start exciting atmospheric air molecules.  The star doesn't care about day/night sides, it just keeps shooting high energy particles, and the planet's magnetic field keeps redirecting them. However, due to atmospheric sunlight scattering, those auroras are going to be seen much more clearly at night (less interference). 

Edited by Hardcard

5 hours ago, Hardcard said:

As for the auroras, they should show up specially on the dark/night side, since there's far less atmospheric sunlight scattering going on (if any). 

Remember that auroras are created when high energy particles coming from a star "penetrate" a planet's magnetic field through its poles and start exciting atmospheric air molecules.  The star doesn't care about day/night sides, it just keeps shooting high energy particles, and the planet's magnetic field keeps redirecting them. However, due to atmospheric sunlight scattering, those auroras are going to be seen much more clearly at night (less interference). 

Yes, I know how they work IRL, I meant within the Mod itself. :wink:

Back in original KSPRC there was no aurora on the dark side, a limitation in the Unity engine IIRC. I guess @themaster401 figured out a way around that, and it's quite beautiful (although I'm perplexed that Duna is lacking night-side aurora...is there something strange with Duna's unlit ionisphere?) :)

Edited by Starfire70

On 5/20/2017 at 7:25 PM, themaster401 said:

bf8304b15ab72007fc9c510724cc7eee130653ee.png

That is literally the largest version of the CKAN logo I can find

you know, when you edit the page, you can double click the image and set the size parameters? :P just saying.. lol I found this to be funny though

2 hours ago, X1machinemaker1X said:

So all my water disappeared and my sky looks weird. any ideas on what happened? The link is a picture and here is my KSP_log

https://pastebin.com/STUJX8NG (I only included several of the NullReferenceException lines, but they go on for a while)

Just ignore it, it's a long standing bug with...I forget...I think scatterrer. When you're actually flying or rocketing, it will look fine.

@themaster401 Question about Duna lightning. The config file shows the following for Duna:

detailSpeed = 643634,1600,143217

but all other bodies show:

detailSpeed = 0,5000000,0

Was this a typo in Duna's config maybe?
What do those 3 values do? (Hardcard recommended reducing the middle value to help slow down the lightning, but I haven't seen that make much difference).

Thanks! :D

3 minutes ago, Starfire70 said:

@themaster401 Question about Duna lightning. The config file shows the following for Duna:

detailSpeed = 643634,1600,143217

but all other bodies show:

detailSpeed = 0,5000000,0

Was this a typo in Duna's config maybe?
What do those 3 values do? (Hardcard recommended reducing the middle value to help slow down the lightning, but I haven't seen that make much difference).

Thanks! :D

Those are directional axis: x,y,z 

Edited by Galileo

On 10/14/2017 at 10:44 AM, JBpiification said:

Hello! I just attempted to install EVE for the first time. I followed the instructions exactly and every time I do it I don't have any clouds... Do you have a fix?

unknown.png

Go here: https://github.com/themaster402/AstronomersVisualPack/tree/AVP_Textures

And pick what resolution clouds you want and install them.  

@themaster401 It might be helpful to include this as part of the manual download instructions.  I had the same issue until I started poking around Github.  Not everybody relies on CKAN afterall. 

1 hour ago, G'th said:

Go here: https://github.com/themaster402/AstronomersVisualPack/tree/AVP_Textures

And pick what resolution clouds you want and install them.  

@themaster401 It might be helpful to include this as part of the manual download instructions.  I had the same issue until I started poking around Github.  Not everybody relies on CKAN afterall.

Ummm, It lists the textures as a necessary dependency in the release notes for AVP on the github releases page. It's even linked.

https://github.com/themaster402/AstronomersVisualPack/releases

1 hour ago, Starfire70 said:

Ummm, It lists the textures as a necessary dependency in the release notes for AVP on the github releases page. It's even linked.

https://github.com/themaster402/AstronomersVisualPack/releases

This page isn't whats linked in the OP however. So unless you just know to click on releases in the page that is linked you wouldn't see it.

v3.62 "Godspeed"

• A lot of realism fixes that should've been addressed a long while ago.
  • Color changes.
  • Detail fixes.
  • Lightning fixes (yay!)
  • Eve's atmosphere changed significantly.

https://github.com/themaster402/AstronomersVisualPack/releases/tag/v3.62

Edited by themaster401