[KSP 1.12.3] Astronomer's Visual Pack - Beyond (v4.13 - July 17th, 2022)

themaster401

Just some testing with the following settings on 3440 x 1440:

aUP4bVZ.png

System: Ryzen 5 5600x, AMD RX 6700 XT, 32 GB RAM, nvme SSD.

1) Base game with ~266 parts launch(pad) : 100 FPS
2) with AVP installed: ~100 FPS on launch - flying over water 55, then 46 above clouds | GPU @100%

As soon as I fly east over the water, the FPS plummets immediately massively.

Curiously, changing scatterer water from medium to integrated doesn't seem to make a difference.

Integrated looks almost like the base game, it shouldn't drop to 55 FPS on a RX 6700 XT running at 100%, should it?

Edited by FasterThanFlourite

I'm having an issue with AVP. Everything works fine when I install it. But after a while, the atmosphere on some planets gets broken. I'm using the latest versions of the mods as of writing and KSP 1.12.3. Mods manually installed. Since it happens after some time, probably after a few game loads as well, it might be a problem with the cache? I don't know. I wasn't able to find out what exactly is causing this issue. The only way I was able to fix this is either by removing AVP or the entire GameData folder (and reinstall it trough file validation). From what I've read here, AVP had some issues with scatterer 0.08x, but that was fixed in the latest AVP release, right?

KSP_x64_2022-04-05_22-19-07.png?quality=KSP_x64_2022-04-05_22-19-18.png?quality=KSP_x64_2022-04-05_22-19-48.png?quality=KSP_x64_2022-04-05_22-19-59.png?quality=KSP_x64_2022-04-05_22-20-17.png?quality=GameData.png?quality=lossless

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have a 1060 6gb, currently running the 4k Cloud textures. For some reason, whenever I am either in the main menu, on the KSC menu, or orbiting in LKO while looking down into the planet, my GPU usage ramps up to 100% and temperatures go as high as 82ºC. 

Literally no other game runs so hot on my GPU. Only happens when I have the clouds enabled. What could be the cause for such an impact?

On 5/13/2022 at 9:26 AM, Lijazos said:

I have a 1060 6gb, currently running the 4k Cloud textures. For some reason, whenever I am either in the main menu, on the KSC menu, or orbiting in LKO while looking down into the planet, my GPU usage ramps up to 100% and temperatures go as high as 82ºC. 

Literally no other game runs so hot on my GPU. Only happens when I have the clouds enabled. What could be the cause for such an impact?

KSP with any decent EVE and scatterer effects will invariably push most GPUs to their max if the framerate isn't limited. The programming behind the 3D rendering of the game simply isn't cut for efficiency in producing these heavy effects.  You can either set a framerate limit or stress the CPU with other mods and large part counts to alleviate the stress on the GPU.

Edited by themaster401

6 hours ago, themaster401 said:

KSP with any decent EVE and scatterer effects will invariably push most GPUs to their max if the framerate isn't limited. The programming behind the 3D rendering of the game simply isn't cut for efficiency in producing these heavy effects.  You can either set a framerate limit or stress the CPU with other mods and large part counts to alleviate the stress on the GPU.

I already thought about that. I enabled V-Sync so it's limited to my monitor's refresh rate, but it still pushes it up to 82ºC very consistently, so I don't know what else to do to keep it at a minimum.

I know this is like a super-necro strange question.
But i just got back in the game (heavily modded of course) after like 5 years of not playing it xD

I remember back in the day, i "think" i used this pack, and i think there was a sort of optional texture for use with TextureReplacer, that changed the 4 hero kerbals (Jeb, Valentina, Bob, Bill) into an orange style suit, with a gold visor.
Was that in this pack once upon a time? Or anyone know where that was from?

12 minutes ago, Baleurion said:

But i just got back in the game (heavily modded of course) after like 5 years of not playing it xD

I remember back in the day, i "think" i used this pack, and i think there was a sort of optional texture for use with TextureReplacer, that changed the 4 hero kerbals (Jeb, Valentina, Bob, Bill) into an orange style suit, with a gold visor.

The gold visor is stock now, and there are multiple suit to choose from in stock but only one orange. The mod you're probably remembering is Texture replacer

13 minutes ago, Baleurion said:

I think the visor and different colored suits is stock now, but not sure what version it came in.  It is definitely in the latest 1.12.x

Just now, darthgently said:

anyone know where that was from?

Maybe it is DLC related, not sure now that I think of it

Hmm, i dont have a gold visor in my game, i guess Texture Replacer overrides it?
Edit: sorry i think i just remembered, it was some bits and bobs from the old Renaissance pack i used back in the day.

Edited by Baleurion

8 hours ago, Baleurion said:

Hmm, i dont have a gold visor in my game, i guess Texture Replacer overrides it?
Edit: sorry i think i just remembered, it was some bits and bobs from the old Renaissance pack i used back in the day.

While being on EVA, right click on a Kerbal with the helmet on (i.e not in Kerbin) and select "Lower visor" option. If you dont have that option, then probably is because of texture replacer. Honestly I stopped using kerbal skins mod since they added them in stock

5 minutes ago, Baleurion said:

Yeah TR adds mirror finishes to the helmets.

Try the stock helmet one and see if you like it. Also in stock you have 7 suits in 2 styles (4 Normal and 3 slim) to choose. I think the DLCs adds some more

Edited by Guest

On 5/17/2022 at 2:22 AM, Forked Camphor said:

Try the stock helmet one and see if you like it. Also in stock you have 7 suits in 2 styles (4 Normal and 3 slim) to choose. I think the DLCs adds some more

Yeah i love that bronze tint, my dream would be to mix that with TR's reflections.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, getting some z-fighting on kerbin surface just beyond KSP at the coastline.

Also not sure if I see any "city" textures at night. Is there a "how it should look" screenshot anywhere so I can tell if there's a problem?

Thanks!

edit: photo, seems to be the city textures

download

Edited by Korfio

On 5/29/2022 at 6:57 PM, Grimmas said:

@Korfio This is common if you are also using Parallax, the textures conflict - in that case either uninstall Parallax or delete the city lights from AVP.

Oh, thanks. I saw parallax at the first post in the recommended mods section and just installed it. Checking now. Seems to work for windows, indeed. I shall disable the citylights config!

FYI This doesn't happen on linux with the same mods (I use CKAN). I get city lights.

Again, thank you

• 1 month later...

Which setting can I change to reduce the density of clouds on planets, or something like this? I'm getting serious performance impact in the fog on Pol, overcast of Eve and sometimes in thicker clouds over Kerbin.

6je8EKX.png

Update v4.13

Changelog

• Fixed overexposed Jool aurora.
  • Forced city lights to disable when Parallax is detected (the effects clip into Parallax terrain).
  • Lowered altitude of Dres surface dust and reduced particle size.
  • Fixed fine detail and seams in cirrus cloud detail texture.
  • Adjusted TUFX configs:
    • Disabled TUFX antialiasing in favor of scatterer's implementation.
    • Reduced bloom softness.
    • Tweaked auto exposure to be brighter in most scenes.
    • Ambient occlusion is now visible in the IVA only with the default AVP TUFX config.
    • Added an alternate TUFX config with ambient occlusion visible in all scenes (albeit still with artifacts when zoomed in to a vessel).

Download by clicking the period at the end of this sentence. 
You will have to download the new texture update.

Edited by themaster401

• 2 weeks later...

Long fan of this mod, awesome work!

Since I've returned to KSP after a 3 year break, I noticed heavy performance impact, especially on GPU (GTX 1080) and heavy FPS drops (around 20 PFS with ships with around 200 parts and over). I was thinking to get the 2k textures instead of the 4k, but it made no difference. Anything else I can try?

i7-7820HK CPU @ 2.90GHz

Nvidia GTX 1080

32 GB RAM

Game runs on SSD

PS: not mentioning the FPS drop from the lights, those are a completely different story and I know it has no fix.

2 hours ago, BezKartuza said:

Try going to PC.

I actually tried some real, practical advice that would actually make a difference and uninstalled Planet Shine. Turns out that Planet Shine + Parallax is a no go and the lights from Planet Shine, because of the way things work in KSP, makes everything lag badly, regardless of hardware.

Everything is good now and the game is playable again. Details here:

Hello, first would like to say I'm a huge fan of this mod. But, with OPM installed, I noticed there was a black outline around one of the moons (Tekto). All the mod devs I reached out to (Scatterer, OPM) said that this was a problem with this mod, so do you know if there is a fix for this?
Additionally this also happened when I tried to fix the atmosphere profile for Thatmo (another OPM moon), as it seemed much too faint, but the changes in-game weren't permanent and the settings reverted but... were still changed if that makes sense? The same black outline showed up around Thatmo as well.
182044084-3b5b6d00-0f02-4263-aa49-78f33b

It's a bit hard to see but its definitely there

Edited by CapWindow2
needed to drop in a bit about Thatmo